astronaut watches Farscape

Talk about anything that comes to mind and doesn't fit in another forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

astronaut watches Farscape

Postby ShalakoTato on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 am

Recently, I was listening to a programme on NPR where they were interviewing astronauts. A female astronaut (I was driving and didn't catch her name) mentioned that in her spare time, she watches Battlestar Galactica and Farscape and other sci fi shows. I can't remember now if she was one of the ones that had been in space or not. Maybe she even frequents this board???
ShalakoTato
Delvian Pa'u

Astro's

Postby Easterner9504 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Sci-Fi became very popular with engineers around the '70's. STAR TREK was de riguer at NASA later supplanted by BABYLON 5. So Astronauts liking the show fits well with that.
Easterner9504
Delvian Pa'u

Postby OssianMacCoul on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:32 pm

Star Trek was a big inspiration for NASA scientists, they guys who are making the Dawn asteroid mission were inspired by the ion-engine in a StarTrek episode.

It's sad to say Space exploration is still a male dominated world. There haven't been that many women in space, with a little googling you could probably find her name
Tereshkova (First woman in space unlikely to be her cos she's Russian), Sally Ride (she's famous so you'd remember her), others include Anna Fisher, Mae Jemison, Chiaki Mukai, Eileen Collins (commander), Ellen Baker, Ellen Ochoa, Anousheh Ansari (American-Iranian space tourist), Kalpana Chawla & Laurel Clark (killed during the Columbia accident), Ellen Ochoa.
'They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate.'
OssianMacCoul
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby AERYNSUN on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:34 pm

And what do this astronaut think about Farscape? I mean not only as a show but technologically, if it is well done.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby OssianMacCoul on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:01 pm

The spaceship that could have replaced Shuttle

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/wiscengr/issues/nov00/nasa.htm

unfortunately the X-38 was canceled
'They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate.'
OssianMacCoul
Peacekeeper Commander

Return to General Chat