Heroes Season 3 (or 2.5 or whatever)no spoilers-US

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Heroes Season 3 (or 2.5 or whatever)no spoilers-US

Postby Mreen on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 am

Dust off your boots, find that remote and wake up! We're about to have good TV fun again =D>
:mrgreen: 8) =D> =D>
Last edited by Mreen on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Re: Heroes Season 3 (or 2.5 or whatever)no spoilers

Postby sleeper on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Yeah!!, three hour special tonight. Looks like they are making up for lost time.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:47 pm

And just in time for tonight's special, Lukeski sent out word of another free fan song- this time apparently solo by his singing partner Carrie Dahlby.
From his fanzine email:
~~~

New "HEROES" Tribute song at the FuMP!

Remember the song about "Heroes" I posted last year just before the Season premiere, "Holding Out For Hiro" featuring Carrie Dahlby? Well Carrie took it upon herself to follow it up with another "Heroes" song, just in time for this year's Season premiere! So 80's music fans, prepare to rock along with Carrie and Possible Oscar with the song "Hazy Shade Of Killer"! Download it for free (and PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS for Carrie there) at http://www.thefump.com/fump.php?id=1095 today!

~~~
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:35 am

Well that was fun. Had I a chance to do it over, I'd have skipped the countdown - I had fun, but it was so full of spoilers for the eps and ep to come! Exactly what I dont want just before seeing an ep. After, they can show their favorite bits- but dont show me them just before I can see the story properly!

Still I enjoyed it - the ep was aptly named. Everyone is getting very nasty ...but then again, what did we expect from a volume named Villians?
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:54 pm

I'm trying to figure out whether the show "jumped the shark" in the 1st hour or the 2nd. :(
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 am

nownow- this is the volume story they meant to tell us in January over a few eps - give them some time to put get their feet back under them. So far I think it's weird - having the unpleasant struggling Peter is weird (and why would he scar with his healing abilities?) and him (younger) not stopping the killers as soon as he saw what they were doing is stretching things a bit- the idea being that it's too late when he sees it doesnt quite gel with me and what he can do, but maybe he's got less control right now. He often does.

I did like Peter being the shooter tho, before the 2nd Coming Peter insisted on hanging around.

We now see what Ang-Petrelli is aiming to stop with her visions (and that she in fact has similar powers to Peter as I always said, tho she says the dreams came from her and the not mostly dead Mr D--I don't think it matters right now, but frankly don't trust her to be 100% honest) but as she was willing to kill millions to have a controllable president in charge, I dont think her solutions are likely to be better than the problem.

Sylar being her son... while totally in character to be lying about that, that seems so very true. She's related by blood or marriage or reverse adoption to most of the heroes/characters, and she's got the instincts of a villian- it makes sense that she'd be the one insisting her serial killer son be left alive to try and find a use for him, even after he kept attacking her granddaughter. I would bet she, more than adopted mom, was behind giving Gabriel a complex about being special, just as she did to Peter. Manipulation by 3rd hand. Nathan and Sylar were juxtaposed so easily and so often in season 1...it's just so sadly true. Tim's been planning this reveal for a while, tho I bet he changed his mind more than once along the way.

(side mention- I still think Linderman-Petrelli meant for Nicki/Jessica to have Nathan's baby as part of their program)
I didnt like Tracy having a different power than Nikki -esp since in the season 1 finale Nicki realizes Jessica was just using Nicki's power that she had suppressed. I'm going with the mystery formula being used to alter her again, but I do not like the continuing to give her new personalities bit any more than the new powers. I'd rather Tracy be Nikki's older sister, the formerly deceased real Jessica that supposedly died as a teen. Nikki, I hope, turns up alive and well in some cubical cell that she escapes with to help her son. Micha (how is that spelled anyway? I alter name spellings a lot, but would like to get that one right) needs his parents. Both being revived would be best, at least one would do. And Nikki is definately going to come back for him, no matter what. Even if it takes a while.

But then, I never liked many of the Nikki storylines, made do with the others till she got interesting again. Curiously, I find her most interesting as Nikki, devoted mom, dealing with her husband and son. It's the only time she seems sincere enough to make her feelings matter- the rest of the time she's too ..sleazy, maybe? to hold interest. Nathan tends to drop off into that oily pool as well, but when he's more obsessed with doing good or something really dark, he is fun to watch. Religious Nathan does feel a tad oily tho- his speech in the church seemed sincere, but not much after that.... hopefully his Scorpy/Harvey chats with Linderman (over the chess game and all, to really bring the bad side of Harvey home) will keep him more interesting.

Claire ... um - don't like the goth oiled up shooting Claire, or her current trend in that direction. Her appeal is in her innocent-but-always-learning efforts to save herself and her family. (Like Peter..first coming,that is, and Hiro)

HRG is still interesting. Clair's mom is still out for herself, so who knows what's going to happen there, but having her and Mrs Bennet (shades of Pride&Pred) in a room could keep things interesting.

Poor Hiro seems to have set his best friend up to end their friendship by them both knowing he kills Hiro in the potential future. He seemed to mention it so casually... I was expecting a bigger moment for it. But now both resent the other because of it, and Flash/Catgirl is just going to make things worse if she's got half a braincell left. She seems nice enough tho, to try and make things right in the end. I mean, Hiro could pay her for her trouble, easily.

Sylar - #-o sigh. I know other's think he is a great villain, but honestly, a villian that goes around chopping of the tops of heads is not for me. Linderman was cool, Ang Petrelli is cool, Bob was fun, and I even liked the immortal nutcase better than Sylar. I really wish he was not made immortal. I liked the idea that he would always hunt the healers- but hopefully in vain- and always have that risk of dying. It gave me hope they would move on, someday, with someone cooler. Now, there's no edge to his story, he's not going to die even if Hiro throws him into the sun. No grand fight will ever mean anything again, with him in it.

Mohinder as Spiderman was briefly fun...but not so much as man-spider. I mean, lets face it, its a thrill that he can act (really act) but all we all know that once he gets chitenous and ugly, no matter what high drama is behind the scene, we're all going to think about how the character used to look and :cry: heave a sigh. Plus he really gave in too quickly. (I mean, sure, they had him on the docks like he was about to toss the syringe, but you don't have to be highschool graduate to know Mohinder would be aware of the dangers of tossing a syringe full of a chemical capable of altering anybody's DNA into the Hudson. Some sick people and fish would be flying all over the city before dawn)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:18 am

I thought this was the no spoilers thread... :lol:
So much for that.
Admin, can we make this the spoilers thread, please.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 am

It's no spoilers beyond what's already aired. Obviously after you see the ep, discussing what happened is not discussing spoilers. No press releases, no rumors, no leaks or info badgered out of interviews or contract releases - nothing but what we saw on the screen from start to finish, and our speculations there of <g>

The best kind of thread. :mrgreen:
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:20 am

Well - the longer I think about the eps they showed us last week, the more disappointed I felt. It's just so violent and gory....none of the cool suspense and wonder from the original stories, just extra helpings of gore. I always felt excess gore serves the same function as shoving sex into a show - cover up lack of writing skills. The first clue to lower expectations.

On top of that, the previews before the show this week had a disconcerting aspect of giving away the biggest shocks, what would have been the most interesting twist to be surprised with, the partnering of HRG and Syler. I dont know that it wouldnt have felt too obvious or not, or whether we would just have expected the Haitian as usual, but at least the chance to be surprised would have been nice. I think the preview should just have stuck to bits with Sylar ordering the coffee decaff, :lol: and not show he and HRG together at any point. Didn't they used to be better at the suspense game with marketing?

But, despite my many complaints, I still am holding them to turn things around after a few eps of watusiing to recover from the strike cutting the story off midstream like that, to view these early eps as the difficult middle act before we get back to some dramatic resolution and storytelling. Two things they can be so good at, going from the first year and a half.

This ep could have been much worse (won't go there) -we did see that Traci is in fact not Nicki (thank God!) but a sibling- a twin or part of a set of clones, or whatever the story is behind our Zimmerman. That shows Tim is still thinking and moving ahead - I was going to be very let down if she was supposed to be Nicki with a personality and power change. The card had been played too often last season in the short half life it had. (Shame on NBC for cancelling during the strike, they should have just brought things forward and continued in April or so, with repeats between. It would have done their viewing figures wonders- we dont need the seasons to start at the exact same time on all channels, really- as their own cable affiliates have often take advantage of that over the years, they should know that.)
Traci being someone new, and taking time to comfort her nephew that she never met before- shows she's got plenty of potential to be a decent human being, despite her political origins this season. (yes, I'm saying politicians are a bit sordid company. Never more true than in a show like this <g>)

Sylar still not controlling his urges - we saw that when he fills the hunger, he becomes genocidal, trying to wipe out all the super people, so it's in his mother's own interest to give him control sooner rather than later. Not sure what they plan to do with this character now that he's unkillable. Still feels like a major mistake to me.

I am looking forward for the Peter to Peter conversation to make them both appear better than they have so far. Future Peter is like the apocalypse, everything he touches turns to its own worst possibility. I need him to prove himself. And that stupid scar makes no sense- he heals! They could have just given him a haircut, you know, if they were so concerned we couldnt tell one from the other. (Like the curse of death to all he touches, wouldnt be enough :? )

While Peter the 2nd is out visiting destruction upon the Earth with each step, Peter himself is turned into an ineffectual figure, worse than his bewildered stumbling about in early season one. FearGuy and FlameGuy made a comment about Peter acting too heroic to be real- but since he more or less kept strolling into them killing and flaming people/innocent bystanders too late to do more than look shocked, it hadn't really shown up. (The villains trying to make a case by telling what the story wasn't showing) I see he got the powers of our mailman from the webisodes (the webisodes were so well done!) more or less, and finally made a stand there toward the end, it was looking good there for a moment- but just when they could have made things really interesting, Peter is whisked off by Peter. Peter whisking Peter off worked well, but all the same, Peter and Peter could done a number on the crooks and HRG would have sat there with the crooks knocked out and tied up at feet, with no one in the room as Peter and Peter took off for whatever Peter the 2nd has to show him. (I'm sticking with Peter the 2nd, as he's not moved forward or improved in any manner worth renaming him Peter 2.0. Unless you mean improvement in the ways that Windows means improvement- your current version is working just fine, so we have a new operating system that will just about kill everything you try with your programs! So I guess Peter *Windows* would work as well as Peter the 2nd, but the latter is still easier to type so will likely remain more popular)

Anyhow, once Peter and Peter Vista go the the future and sauce things out, I expect both characters to dramatically improve. Explanations do wonders to help the viewers feel like we're all going somewhere with this.

Claire. Oh, good lord, her natural mother is a killer of virtue, isn't she? The entire concept of helping other people is too foreign for her to fathom, and she certainly isn't sending even her unlooked for babe out into those woods with them airy ideas. She figures that making Claire aware of the most selfish, frightened and angry parts of herself will frighten her back into hiding- without taking into account that her own foray into those feelings had left herself(what was her name?) more selfish and frightened than she had been before becoming what she did. Claire is now aware of those parts of herself, and where as before she had apologized upon taking action against a serial rapist/attempted murderer :roll: , she now is bent on exploring revenge and hurting people- a selfish rage that is no less sincere for it's current pettiness. She's got that file of poor captured souls, Wes* is gone in the distance, and no one is going to stop her.

Hiro's story is still good. He doesnt belong in that cell, tho I am glad that his friend is in there with him, and I cant see him remaining in there very long. Frankly I dont think even the hard hearted Madame Petrelli**, would or could leave them in there. They'll be out and in trouble again with little difficulty, maybe a fine of some sort, and certainly a stern talking to. I just hope the time they spend in the cell has them working together for a bit. I mean I know, we all know, that their storyline is of misunderstanding and Hiro's own distrust causing his best friend to fire red lightning at him, but they can't be against each other all the time or that will be a boring storyline. They have to work together from time to time to make it work- and the cell could be great chance for it be a good moment for them.

*alas poor Wes, once he filled his role in the painting to get HRG shot, he is heard from no more. Too bad, he was a bit selfish and naughty as well, it would be interesting to see him inspired to follow Claire about for a bit, Clyde to her Bonnie, till one or the other woke each other up that this was no life for a respectable cheerleader to be having

hard hearted Madame Petrelli**, willing to send her own children and grandchildren to be divied up among adoptions like stockholdings in multiple banks, tried to trick her sons into killing 8 million people
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Prowler on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Mreen wrote:It's no spoilers beyond what's already aired. Obviously after you see the ep, discussing what happened is not discussing spoilers. No press releases, no rumors, no leaks or info badgered out of interviews or contract releases - nothing but what we saw on the screen from start to finish, and our speculations there of <g>

The best kind of thread. :mrgreen:

Admin, can you add to the title - US Airing please. Us in the UK get episode 1 today.
Thanks!

(I managed to stop reading just in time)
Can I get a Hell Yeah!?!
Prowler
Peacekeeper Commander

Re: Heroes Season 3 (or 2.5 or whatever)no spoilers-US

Postby Mreen on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:13 am

I stuck US up there <g> sorry- I thought there'd be a bigger gap so only wouldnt need a country title for months.

Hopefully the UK version wont be aired after several clips (10-20minutes?) of the episode they're about to play - talk about spoiling!!!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Too complicated. The show has jumped the shark for me. Too bad... :x
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:43 pm

It's not all that complicated - just keep in mind the basic rule- everytime someone travels to the future, everyone in the future is pretty much going to die. :mrgreen:

Then you get to try and stop it ... altho we didnt get to see the world split apart ...but I guess, do we really need to? (Yes, Hiro and ..his old friend, will at some point get there to witness or stop it. But it means whatever they do to save the world from splitting isnt supposed to happen for years.

But wasnt the future with everyone flying kind of cool? I thought it was fun that everyone used their powers in public <g>. Stupid bit with Claire still being a greased up gothic hunter (like that poor doomed character from Xmen - the daughter of Jean Gray and Cyclops? Came back from a future where she'd been used to round up mutants and help them be hunted and killed, but never fit in with the past) ... still wish they hadnt gone that way with her. She's too much an imitation of Elle, obsessed with killing and hurting because she's different. Different psychosis, same effect, with matching fathers in power.

I kind of thought we'd be seeing a lot more of Elle now that Bob was dead, that she'd be out there running around town trying to find a new reason exist. Her story could be fun.

Nathan's obsession with religion has already gotten old, and we havent even seen him turn yet. Sure his future self still believed in being good and wouldnt let his daughter torture Peter in front of him (tho who gave her the orders to kill Peter anyway?) and tried to talk to Peter - yet was obsessed with seeing the world prove itself to him that it could save itself with people like Peter trying. But even that "I can let the world end if God wills it" phase isn't as bad as he's about to get. He's going to obsess over the bible, Linderman will twist a few words, and suddenly Nathan will be leading the world toward judgement day. Get over it already, I want to see Nathan as something more than Harvey-Linderman's patsy for 'change'.

Peter absorbing Sylar's power... I dont like it. Sure I can see the understanding thing being useful, but Peter isnt built like Sylar - which means two things.

The first, I can't buy, no amount of suspension of disbelief will muster it, that understanding how things work gives you a hunger you cant control. I really cant. I can believe Sylar has this hunger built in, I can believe it's a defect that is some latent genetic thing resulting in some psychoctic thing, but I can't believe it stems from the power of understanding things. Two seperate things yes, but their chosen storyline, trying to sell it as a side effect of the ability to understand how things work ... can't do it.

2nd, Peter can hunger for everyones powers all he wants - he gets them all automatically anyway. He doesn't need to see their brain to understand how it works, he just gets it, and that's that. Hang around anyone with power, he's got it. No strong desire to possess their power was necessary, having it should just make him that much more satisfied that he gets it. The killing serves no purpose in any part of their aquisition. If it's a simple urge to kill, why slice Nathan (whose power he already had anyway) - why not do Sylars favorite thing and shove him full of more knives than a pincusion? Isnt that Sylars kill for fun thing?

Just too many problems with the whole concept. Just let the Haitian go ahead and wipe it from Peter's mind, if he can. (Maybe he can't - but honestly, what good is Peter if he's like this? He's supposed to be the guy that tries so hard to save people..making him a part time serial killer, unless it's reversable, isnt going to keep fans hoping for him)

Mohinder - says he can't reverse the spider thing. (Plus 5yrs later he's still buggy). He tried to help his neighbor tho, a good sign, but then the wife-beater had to go and make himself lunch. You feel bad for Mohinder, but at the same time, he brought all of this on himself. Really bad science - and from a teacher too [-X :P Besides, it stung the viewership in more than 'there goes one more off the good guy list' way. Frankly.... couldnt they have found a power that still left him our little bit of eye candy? I mean, the guys got to keep the Nikki actor, and she's dead again already!
(tho her body looked remarkably preserved for one that had been blown up and burnt)

Nathan saving the ice-queen was fine, but frankly I dont like the two of them hooking up together. I mean, he cheated on his wife with her sister/look-a-like, already. Surely he should have turned her down. I can see her turning to him, but not him sleeping with her. Just the memory of how it nearly ruined his marriage, plus knowing she's suicidal - and for heavens sake he should have googled Nicki's fate after the first visit -he doesnt have to know she's the sister to have all his past experience with Nikki to tell him sleeping with Traci was a bad bad thing for his karma. And new found religion...shouldn't he be talking to his wife and kids about how he thinks it was a miracle to survive? Then wait a while before being with someone? I mean... it just stinks.

Traci's story still might be good- she tried to turn herself in, but accidently froze the phone, so decided to take a shortcut to justice and kill herself. Honestly not the worst decision she could have made, since in the course of turning herself in she'd probably kill or nearly kill a policeman or others in a cell. Now that she's been spared, I need to see her try and make up for that - not in some political rat race, but to do something for the victims family, or confess to someone who can forgive her... really see her make a move that doenst end up as oily as "I'm going to be the next president's wife".

And then we come to Hiro. Ah Hiro - the saving grace of the show, his storyline was still fun, energetic, and good to watch. He and his friend finally had it out in the cell - their make up and escape routine was great fun to watch, and of course, their capture inevitable. Madame Petrelli, as predicted, couldnt resist them either, and soon sent them out on their merry way to bring back her founding sponsor, that she and Linderman, lets kill 8million people because it will make our guy look good, tutored under. The very end there, when they dug him out together, and he promptly launched himself at Hiro had me laughing out loud!

So, if for nothing else, I will keep tuning in to see how Hiro is doing.

I can just see it now
"Hey! Stop trying to kill my friend!" *shovel raised*
"Wait Ando, dont attack him! We need him to save the world!"
"But he just tried to kill you!"
"Well, future you killed future me."
"Let me guess, you're his best friend. " *lets go of Hiro and sits up* "I understand. I used to be his best friend once, almost killed him myself, at the time."
"Enough of this- we have to work together to save the world!"
"Well, you can be very annoying.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Remember Madame Petrelli's dream? It was Her and Sylar on one side.(everyone else was dead) and on the other side is Adam, Matt''s dad, the ice queen, and the guy that feeds on fear. So why release Adam? I knew that Hiro isn't smart, but releasing Adam is the dumbest thing to do in this situation. Or do I just don't get it. I don't understand.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Elle was there too, sparking things up - but she set her free instead of keeping her in lock up. Madame Petrelli was obviously a follower of Adam's school of thought, for all she didnt want the virus released. She believes a big disaster will get her control - maybe the mayhem, with Syler hiding behind her - maybe she didnt see it as something she wanted to stop. Maybe she sees Syler as a way to make her a player in the mayhem to come.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Next

Return to Other Shows