Doctor Who 2007 season specials

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Doctor Who 2007 season specials

Postby Mreen on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:08 am

Okay - so all we have so far is the 7minute Thanksgiving special... which isnt actually a Thanksgiving special, because its UK and they dont have a Thanksgiving holiday...but nonetheless, that's the time of year we get it in the US and we are so thankful to see them <g> and we can continue on to use this thread for the Christmas Special, so isnt that special?

I thought it was cute. I really enjoyed the Doctor to Doctor bit - not to mention Peter played the first young Doctor, which was an idea that shocked fans at the time, because the Doctor was supposed to be sort of a father figure, and they expected someone who looked older..Peter was fresh faced, wearing crickets outfits and sneakers - a bit of a jolt for the fans, tho for those of us who only saw Tom in the States, he was a thrill as the new Doctor that we saw for that glimpse at the end of Logopolis and wondered if we'd ever see more of him again <g>

I loved David's fanboy reaction to Peter - he just wanted to watch Peter at work, remembering his days of the Doctor, and then when he was done, did his 'the new whiz kid act'- then turned around and went all fanboy on him again, telling him how much he loved watching his favorite Doctor, and how much he kept from him in his new persona.

And....the vegetable. :roll: :P :D

Loved that bit <g> - like being confronted with a picture of yourself in an 80's haircut or 60's flared pants :) Not to mention the orange and lime, orange and brown, blue and yellow striped combinations everywhere <g>

For what it was, it was great.

For what it wasnt - a continuation of the story, something that moved us along in the Titanic bits we saw at the end of season 3, I was disappointed. This happened in between the seconds we already saw, not something new to add to the end, which I would have liked better. I'd have loved for Peter to have come rushing off the Titanic, sliding down the bow, or thru a crack in the ship, into the Tardis. That would have been fantastic.

Could have ended with him leaving the same way or undoing the Tardis's journey again, saying it crashed into the ship because it was combined with his Tardis that was on board and the Doctor's mistake had caused his to gravitate there, or whatever (even just having Peter bow out and leave thru the crack)
...I just think the story would have had more impact if it continued the story set out, instead of inserting a sort of Easter egg into the old story.
Like the 2005 continued the story and provided more depth into the regeneration, explained the sickness a little better to new fans, and let the characters grow and establish themselves better.

Just my humble opinion, but I cant say I'm sorry for what we got tho :)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:35 pm

I've always been a Peter Davison fan ever since he played "Tristan" on All Creatures Great and Small. And it didn't take him much to jump back into the role. (I still luv the celery). It was great to see him, wish they would do a episode with him in it.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:54 pm

I loved the Doctors reactions to each other. Tennants fanboy and Davidson grimace. The one thing I've missed and had on my wishlist from the New Doctor Who was a multi-doctor astory, ala the Three Doctor, Five Doctors and The Two Doctors.

I've always loved seeing the different generations interact. Troughton and Pertwee were classic together, and I'd love to see Eccelston and Tennant on the screen together. But for this purpose it was great to have an old school Doc meet new Doc. I didn't really expect that they'd do anything continuuity effecting for the special. Would have been cool. but
I didn't see it happening.

I do hope they do another meeting of the Doctors, this time as part of nthe series. And if they did it would be pretty cool if Tennant and/or Davidson showed some recognition of these events
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

yeah - it would have been very cool

Postby Mreen on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:46 pm

I expect they will- traditionally the Doctors remember all their previous meetings together once they are together again. I can see it happening with Chris around ...I'd love to see the others reaction to his leather jacket... lord knows what would happen if he and Collin were to both be in the room! I really want to see Paul again tho, it would be great to see him on screen with other Doctors.

But, I'm just babbling arent I.. so

Here is a wonderful tale of the Doctors meeting up - and Rich's story, shall we say, accurately predicted 10ths' reaction to 5 <g>- its captured all of the Doctors and companions most beautifully and he's producing pages at a fairly fast pace:

http://www.shipsinker.com/wordpress/2007/03/11/doctor-who-comic-the-ten-doctors-page-1/
The 10 Doctors
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Nice!, thanks for sharing Mgreen
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Yup - its pretty darn good!

There is a preview out for the Christmas special on Youtube somewhere...havent dared watch it yet!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:01 pm

I have to say that the guy that plays the new doctor is very good. I luved "School Reunion". He has the goofyness of Tom Baker, and it is intersting that he does have a mean streak. You do not want to mess with this Doctor.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

people do notice that...

Postby Mreen on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:39 am

yes, people have commented on how he will bring on damnation to anyone who really crosses him... In the end, if there's only him to decide, he'll condemn with the best of them.

Still, I really enjoy him, the newest Doctor, he's got such a high energy level. Simms Master was the perfect to cross him - I love how he even stole the Doctor's jellybabies <g>

The Christmas Special - well, it was new Doctor Who, which made it exciting and fun, but RTD... was, well, way over the top with the cheesiness again. And grim effects on characters. Grim and cheesy at the same time... expressed in the most flinch worthy moment when the Doctor snaps. Snaps his fingers that is, and that is the closest you will get to a spoiler from me.

Still, the grimmest and cheesiest of effects arent enough to spoil a Doctor Who Christmas special! While people are calling it the weakest of the three Christmas specials, and not without cause, it is mostly because the previous Christmas specials were just that good! This one is great fun too, just not amazing like the other two were. I'd liken it more to Last of the Time Lords type amazing <g> since it suffered from the same level of cheese overdose in it's own moments but still managed to pull it together for a great show.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:26 pm

The weakest of the Christmas Specials? Really?

I thought it was the best. I didn't mind the cheesiness because it was explained in the plot why *ahem* certain things were the way they were.

And I loved the whole ambiance. It was so lush.

Plus David Tennent absolutely blew me away with his performance. Especially his "I am the Doctor." scene. That was excellent. RTD thoroughly loves Doctor Who and you can tell. Since I was also one of those kids hiding behind the couch, peering through my fingers at the original first run - I completely get what he is aiming to achieve. And with this episode "Voyage of the Damned" he suceeded in spades.

I loved it. (Can you tell? ;) )
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Chocolate on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:08 am

Well, I am rather new to the whovian world, as I live in a country which doesn't broadcast it, so I've never heard of it until the ninth Doctor.

I have to say I also thought the latest Christmas Special was the weakest of all three.

SPOILERS!!!

Maybe last year's special with Catherine Tate set my standards a bit too high, but I really felt like they weren't even trying! The funny bits weren't that funny, the creepy bits weren't that creepy (no where near killer Santas and chainsaw-Christmas-Trees or exploding ornaments).
I was fairly disappointed, as I was quite looking forward to it for quite some time now.
What I did like was the fact that every single person to whom the Doctor promised to save ended up dead. It sounds appallingly morbid, I know, but it's the only thing that saved it from being kitsch to the core, and the Doctor is supposed to have a dark side to him underneath the sparkling smile.
Quite liked Kylie, too. I think she did well under the circumstances (ie., that particular story).

END OF SPOILERS

Anyway, I can't wait for the fourth series to start... I think David Tennant is a wonderful Doctor, I hope he stays on. Has anyone seen "Blackpool"? I just loved him in that!
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby Firecracker on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:09 am

Chocolate wrote:SPOILERS!!!

What I did like was the fact that every single person to whom the Doctor promised to save ended up dead. It sounds appallingly morbid, I know, but it's the only thing that saved it from being kitsch to the core, and the Doctor is supposed to have a dark side to him underneath the sparkling smile.

END OF SPOILERS

That didn't happen.

SPOILER

Two of the people that the Doctor promised would survive did. Mr Copper (who had an alien credit card with 1 million pounds on it. Enough to buy a few trinkets. ;) ) and Rickston Slade (who made a ton of money by dumping shares in Capricorn Cruises before the meteors hit.

One of the things I totally adored in this episode was the Doctor warning Buckingham Palace that the Titanic was heading straight for them - and then a scene with the Queen - in her curlers - and her corgis and a footman hurrying to evacuate. And then the Queen waving at the soaring Titanic while saying "Heppy Christmas Doctor!" Hilarious. I try to watch the Queen's Christmas message every year and that just was the icing on the cake. he!

SPOILER

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Chocolate on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 pm

SPOILER

Two of the people that the Doctor promised would survive did.

SPOILERS

What I meant was people that he PERSONALLY promised would survive, not in a general "I'll save you" addressed to everyone. I don't remember him promising those two anything, although I could be wrong. You're usually quite accurate in these things, Firecracker... I'd take your memory over mine any day of the week :wink:

He promised Astrid he would save her, and he promised the couple who won the raffle (I can't remember their names), first him then her. I can't remember if he promised Banakafalata anything, though.
Anyway, I quite liked it that there are some things even the Doctor can't change. It makes the show much more realistic, in a sense, and it makes his character much more human.
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby Firecracker on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Chocolate wrote:You're usually quite accurate in these things, Firecracker... I'd take your memory over mine any day of the week :wink:

Thanks for the compliment. :oops: But I have to point out that my memory is only good for things that I like. If we are talking about, for example, the internal combustion engine or some complicated math problem forget it. It goes in one ear and out the other. ;)

Anyway, I quite liked it that there are some things even the Doctor can't change. It makes the show much more realistic, in a sense, and it makes his character much more human.

Agreed. It does make his character more relatable. I gather there was a huge kafuffle about one of the scenes in the Special by religious groups who thought the Doctor was being portrayed as the Messiah. I read about the fuss before I watched, and I have to say that while I could sorta see the analogy (it wasn't 'in your face obvious'), I didn't think it was an inappropriate analogy to make. I mean countless Christ figures have been written/portrayed in literature and film. I think what the Christian critics misunderstand is that an analogy is not the same as presenting the idea as 'real'.
Last edited by Firecracker on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Chocolate on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 pm

I gather there was a huge kafuffle about one of the scenes in the Special by religious groups who thought the Doctor was being portrayed as the Messiah.

It's funny reading about this in a Farscape Forum, a show which focuses on JC's attempts to save the galaxy and create peace in the midst of war and violence :P ....

I am not a religious person myself, and I don't mean to offend anyone (believe me, I know what a combustible topic this could be), but personally I consider the bible to be a very good story. I think the bible has some very strong characters and plot lines which are quite universal in their appeal, so it's really not surprising that a lot of wonderful characters in books, film and TV are inspired by biblical characters.

I have to point out that my memory is only good for things that I like. If we are talking about, for example, the internal combustion engine or some complicated math problem forget it. It goes in one ear and out the other. Wink

I know exactly what you mean - Only for me it doesn't matter if I like it, I will only remember it if it's irrelevant. I mean, I can recite films I've seen fairly well and know almost complete Farscape episodes by heart, but then when I have to describe key elements in the works of Weber, Marx or De Beauvoir in a midterm exam my mind goes completely blank :lol: ...
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby sleeper on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:28 am

Sorry to change the subject, but this is a excellent spoof of Dr.Who.

Christmas Day at Dr. Who

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQEmGC6V ... re=related

Exterminate Me! :lol:
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Next

Return to Other Shows