Any fans of Babylon 5 ?

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Any fans of Babylon 5 ?

Postby desert fox on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:39 am

Hello. I discovered Farscape last year and I got addicted hopelessly but before that my most popular sci-fi series was Babylon 5. I was crazy about it and still am. I love both series ( Farscape & Babylon 5 ) in equal measure right now. In my opinion , no other sci-fi series can match with these two magnificent productions. They are at a higher level at least for me. By the way a new Babylon 5 straight to DVD movie "Voices in Dark/Lost Tales" is coming up at summer last time I heard.

Is there anymore B5 fans out there ?
desert fox
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby pushka on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Babylon 5? Hell yeah!!!! Got the Complete Universe off Amazon when it was down to £70 and will be enjoying it shortly after I've finished watching Farscape. I love Babylon 5, though I have to admit that Farscape has better acting.

Sadly with Babylon 5, I missed the last season because Channel 4 started showing it at odd times during the night and my family was going through a tough time. From a watching sci-fi point of view, my parents chose a bad time!
Pushka the Cannon - Cannonade strikes again!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby desert fox on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Are you watching Farscape first time pushka ? If it is so we would like to read your reviews and comments so far..

As for Babylon 5. It was magnificent and it still is. Storytelling of JMS was jaw dropping. The characters were realistic , decent but flawed ( just like Farscape ) So was the plot and ongoing events. Right now I am looking for Centauri Trigology novels but I am empty handed so far...
desert fox
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby pushka on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:38 am

Nah, I'm rewatching Farscape on DVD, I watched it all the way through when it was first aired on BBC. Then I had tapes recorded from when the Sci-Fi channel was on Cable TV (and when the Sci-Fi Channel showed decent stuff). However, my tape collection was recorded on poor qualty VHS tapes (some about 5 years old!!!) and not all episodes where there.

Main thing I have noticed from the DVDs is that the BBC did cut an awful lot of scenes from them. Gory bits, etc. I love Farscape and when I was watching them through again, I was quite shocked at how much I remembered them almost scene for scene! Sometimes, I've even been known to use certain words they use on Farscape in replace for usual English words.

hehe, oops! :D
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby desert fox on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:45 pm

right , those were intented to replace English words in fact ! :D Well I still hope for additional Farscape productions ( a big screen movie or another mini series would be so nice ) Since finale PKW there is no proper sci-fi fantasy productions on tv.

I wonder how Babylon 5 : Lost Tales shall turn out ? I am sure JMS showed his writing talent again. For me B5 was the next best thing after Farscape. And I hope this latest B5 DVD movie becomes a success and opens way for new Farscape productions.
desert fox
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby aeryn_sun on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:16 am

Oh hell yeah, B5 was just awesome.
When did this straight to DVD movie come about as I'd heard he had one planned a year or so ago and it fell by the wayside.

B5 and Farscape are my top shows as they are just so well written and the characters more colourful.
aeryn_sun
Luxan Warrior

Postby Firecracker on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:21 am

aeryn_sun wrote:When did this straight to DVD movie come about as I'd heard he had one planned a year or so ago and it fell by the wayside.

That one was called "Memory of Shadows" - and it did fall by the wayside. JMS called it off when he found out that the financial PTB holding the purse strings were not going to pay the actors scale. They were going to pay them below scale. ??? Don't ask me. Sounds pretty shady actually. So it is probably a good thing he called it off.

The two direct to DVD movies are called Babylon 5: The Lost Tales and at least one of them is in post-production right now. Release date should be (crosses fingers) sometime around the week of July 27th. Here are some photos and a bit of a commentary by JMS.

It was going to be three movies - but JMS found his scripts were too big - so he decided to make two movies and hope that the funding for the third one will come.

So buy those DVDs!

B5 and Farscape are my top shows as they are just so well written and the characters more colourful.

Yep. I agree. Neither world is sterile or perfect.

The difference between the two shows is that Farscape is character driven and Babylon 5 is plot driven. Personally I prefer character driven work - but that doesn't mean I do not see and appreciate quality work even if it isn't character driven.

For a long time B5 was my favourite Sci Fi show of all time.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

B5

Postby bwilli18 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 pm

I just started watching B5 about 3 months ago, at the recommendation of posters to this and other fora.

I'm in season 3. IMHO it is only just now becoming watchable. I couldn't stand season 1. It was painful.

Season 3 is building the tension a bit. My problem is that I can't help comparing it to the greatest show ever, the show for which tv was invented (i.e., FarScape). With B5, even in the best episodes, one is reminded that this is still just a tv show, where with FS, I get so drawn in that I'm lost to the show, every time.

Again, this is all IMHO. Please accept my apologies if I offend.

Peace, out.
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Postby Mreen on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:14 pm

Season 1 was indeed very painful..but it laid a lot of groundwork for the future eps, and they kept most of the carefully laid facts as consistant as they could. I watched that year, as I watched most of the stingly aired scifi, in hopes that it would get better. It turned out to be a very good pay off.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby aeryn_sun on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:30 pm

Season 1 was indeed very painful..but it laid a lot of groundwork for the future eps, and they kept most of the carefully laid facts as consistant as they could. I watched that year, as I watched most of the stingly aired scifi, in hopes that it would get better. It turned out to be a very good pay off.

I found Season 1 watchable and I agree it did lay the groundwork for the future seasons. The most painful season for me was Season 5. It only started to get really interesting in the last 4 or 5 eps.

But Sleeping in Light, when I saw that episode, I cried buckets :cry:
aeryn_sun
Luxan Warrior

Postby aeryn_sun on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Firecracker wrote:
aeryn_sun wrote:When did this straight to DVD movie come about as I'd heard he had one planned a year or so ago and it fell by the wayside.

That one was called "Memory of Shadows" - and it did fall by the wayside. JMS called it off when he found out that the financial PTB holding the purse strings were not going to pay the actors scale. They were going to pay them below scale. ??? Don't ask me. Sounds pretty shady actually. So it is probably a good thing he called it off.

The two direct to DVD movies are called Babylon 5: The Lost Tales and at least one of them is in post-production right now. Release date should be (crosses fingers) sometime around the week of July 27th. Here are some photos and a bit of a commentary by JMS.

It was going to be three movies - but JMS found his scripts were too big - so he decided to make two movies and hope that the funding for the third one will come.

So buy those DVDs!

Yep. I agree. Neither world is sterile or perfect.

The difference between the two shows is that Farscape is character driven and Babylon 5 is plot driven. Personally I prefer character driven work - but that doesn't mean I do not see and appreciate quality work even if it isn't character driven.

For a long time B5 was my favourite Sci Fi show of all time.

Thanks Firecracker, I'll keep my eye out for these DVD's :D
aeryn_sun
Luxan Warrior

Are You Kidding - Yeah I Was A Fan Of Babylon 5!

Postby Andre75 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:39 pm

I was hooked on that show for the first time on UPN 9 when we saw the origin of Valen. When Jeffrey Sinclair traveled back 1,000 years to fight the shadows. From that very episode I was adddicted, hate to say but I planned my day around that show and time slot.
Andre75
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Re: B5

Postby KaraS on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:22 pm

bwilli18 wrote:I just started watching B5 about 3 months ago, at the recommendation of posters to this and other fora.

I'm in season 3. IMHO it is only just now becoming watchable. I couldn't stand season 1. It was painful.

Season 3 is building the tension a bit. My problem is that I can't help comparing it to the greatest show ever, the show for which tv was invented (i.e., FarScape). With B5, even in the best episodes, one is reminded that this is still just a tv show, where with FS, I get so drawn in that I'm lost to the show, every time.

Again, this is all IMHO. Please accept my apologies if I offend.

Peace, out.

I found season 1 so painful that I quit watching it. I just wasn't enjoying it. I tried the show again in season 2 when Bruce Boxleitner joined the cast. The show was much improved.

My favorite character is Londo, he is so tragic. He starts out as this washed up has been, eeking out his days with an appointment as an embassador to an orginization that nobody on his planet respects. And when he gets a little importance and respect he becomes greedy for it and lets his ambition drive him to do terrible things, things he didn't want to do. He ends up achieving his goal of becomming emperor but at a price nobody would ever want to pay.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Re: B5

Postby pushka on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:39 pm

KaraS wrote:I tried the show again in season 2 when Bruce Boxleitner joined the cast. The show was much improved.

I have to agree, B5 certainly improved a great deal once Bruce Boxleitner came in.

On the whole, my favourite characters where Kosh and London. I found Kosh to be rather creapy at first, but he soon turned into my favourite, perhaps because I found him so creapy! I remember being rather sad when he died, though when I first watched B5, I was younger than I am now!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby McClance on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:25 pm

Babylon 5 is the next best TV series after FarScape.

I love it all--Season 1 through Season 5, all the telemovies, and Crusade.

Strong stories, strong characters, strong relationships, strong music...

It is an amazing series!
Do not anger Dragons if you value your life.
McClance
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Next

Return to Other Shows