OFFICIAL Torchwood thread! SPOILERS!!!

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Check out season 2. The premier aired last week on BBCAmerica and it was awesome.

James Marsters guests as a former Time Agent collegue of Jack with and this character has all the cool and charisma Marsters brought to Spike, plus more humor and fun throughout. And the team's really coming togewther as a team now. Looking forward to the "Sleeper" ep which I heard would be one of their best.

BTW agreed about Countrycide, not my fave either.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

heheh

Postby Mreen on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:12 pm

Season 2 looks to be the season we should have gotten last year - the new ep is the best they've done yet ...okay, that's faint praise considering what we had to sit thru for season 1, but it is a really good ep! I mean - James Marsters! Fish driving cars! What more could ask for fun and frothy scifi?

I should also add, Owen does indeed appear to already possessed by alien- in a hostage situations, twice he didnt shoot the hostage! Even did uncharacteristic doctory thing in the first instance. Yay alien possession!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Yes! I loved the blowfish scenes, set the perfect tone for the episode.

That moment where he stops and motion's the lady to cross the road, rap music in the background, that could've been a classic Buffy season five or six moment. I howled. "Did you happen to see a blowfish driving sports car?" His team assessment and Jack reintroduction perfect.

And that was just the first ten minutes. Then Marsters and more assured chacterizations. The team really functioning well as a team.

this not only ranks as the best episode of Torchwood, but rans right up there with some of the best of the new Doctor Who and even crossing into Buffy and Angel territory. I'm very encouraged.

And I agree Owen is more mature and much less irritating than he was in season 1.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby SunKrux on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm just glad that Gwen has finally found her back bone. :twisted: I happened to enjoy S1 very much and S2 is just getting better, imho. :D
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

cant get worse <g>

Postby Mreen on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Well, I think up was the only direction left to go with the series, but I am grateful that enough people liked the first season to give it second chance. (I mean, we all remember the first season of Babylon 5, right? Or the first (really first two) of "Next Generation" ...and even Deep Space 9 had a stinker first season.) With scifi, esp Doctor Who related, my motto is patience and hope that someting springs forth from the ...compost pile the first seasons often result in. :twisted: Because I want them to succeed, so I can have more fun in the fictional universe(s).

(not a critic of Christopher Eccleston's season, which was amazingly wonderful, btw...but sometimes when you see early early Hartnell stuff, you wonder why the series stuck! ..then along comes The Chase...and you say - ah!)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:51 pm

i never much liked the Hartnell version either, and looking back it barely resembles the rest of the series even as far back as Troughton. Some of the episodes were pretty good and had some innovative scifi concepts that hold up well even today, but the original Doctor was a jerk.

Plus, the stratofied roles of men and women did not hold up so well in the modern age.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby sleeper on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:51 pm

Remember the 1st Doctor was supposed to be a old smarta** that knows more than everyone else. All the other Doctors were young Smarta**es (with an old mind) that knows more than everyone else. (Well maybe not the 2nd or 3rd Doctors... they were still old.) Poor William Hartell was just doing what he did best....being a old Codger.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

little more than that

Postby Mreen on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 pm

I wouldnt say the Doctor being a young or old wisecracker made the difference....what was different about the original show that changed in later seasons, was that it had more of sitcom style. There had to be a family lost in space, unable to get home, or they'd never drag their family into these sorts of adventures, therefore:

Only the British angle was that the mom and pop figures, Barbara and Ian, were kidnapped by a grumpy old alien when they tried to investigate the unearthly student in their midst. And he, being techy and old, and not quite in control of the machine, could never figure out how to get them home again.

Ian was the hero, Barbara the lady in distress, Susan the kid who was very smart very nice but got in trouble a lot, and the Doctor was, as many have put it, just as much the vehicle of the show as the Tardis. (or back then, the T.A.R.D.I.S. <g>)

The Doctor was only slightly less a problem than the mildly evil Dr Smith in Lost In Space, tho he grew to enjoy humans as much as his neice, and enjoyed adventuring with them so much, that he began to take on more of them as companions. Later Doctors followed from this later path.

Which is why, when our local club does public showings to introduce the public to the show, we only show the first ep of Unearthly Child, then skip right on to the good stuff in some later shows <g>
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm not blaming the actor. That was clearly the way the character was written, and I actually loved the way he played his character in the Three Doctors working with Pertwee and Troughton, and the way he evolved between Unearthly Child and Tenth Planet. And of course all the Dalek episodes.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Been loving this season so far. Espcially this last ep with the memory guy and Jack's past. But whatever you do if your a Who or Torchwood fan, Do not miss next weeks episode.
Spoiler

Martha Jones guest stars.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Prowler on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 pm

The Martha Jones eps were good, and the series just gets better. we have about 4 left, and I can't wait for the finale, and then the loooong wait for S3.

Gonna go back and re-watch the series, but a bomment made in an earlier post:
Torchwood is supposed to be secret - yeah?? - so, when the Blowfish drives past, and the Range Rover with the team in pulls up, the old lady says 'Bloody Torchwood' - not exactly secret are they!! :thud:
Prowler
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Prowler on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:37 pm

WOW!! What a series finale!! I won't spoil it for you who haven't seen it yet, but what an ending. The rug was pulled out from under, as i didn't see it coming.
Prowler
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Firecracker on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Prowler wrote:WOW!! What a series finale!! I won't spoil it for you who haven't seen it yet, but what an ending. The rug was pulled out from under, as i didn't see it coming.

Wow. I am totally gutted.

Pulled out from under is right.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Heard a little, but trying not to spoil myself. Thanks for not posting spoilers really looking forward to this. BTW thought Adrift was beautiful and sad.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Just wondering? We talkin Bad Timing bad?

Actually, I heard it was. Though there are some promising rumors for the future, which I won't discuss. Still sad if true.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows