OFFICIAL SG1 Season 10 discussion thread SPOILERS

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby TINemo on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 am

I must have missed the synthesizer being invented or whatever because I kept wondering how does 3 months food and water last 50 yrs and where the heck did the cello,roller blades, lingerie and plants come from????

I thought 50 years was a bit much. Cam is supposed to be about 37 so that would make him 87 and he didn't look or act that old---also the others. They could just as easily have made it 30 years.

Poor Cam trying to find something-anything- to do.That would be me!
Three weeks on a cruise ship and I'm ready to swim home.

Bet that time stoppage/dilation/reversal thing shows up in some form in the second DVD movie---and in the possible spinoff series.

Ok ep, not too fine as a finale--sort of. Some folks thought RDA should have been included but he's about as old(in SG1 terms) as landry so would most likely have died too. I hear he'll be in the second DVD too.

Wonder when they will be released
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Firecracker on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:01 am

[quote="TINemo"]Wonder when they will be released[/quote]

I heard 2008. They just finished filming so... yeah. :)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby TINemo on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:42 pm

having rewatched the ep...not to mentionreading posts on Terra Firma and some 600 on Scifi I have these thought to offer

Contrary to the opinion of some on Terra I don't think Vala had a miscarraige---a quantum leap prompted by the scene of Daniel consoling her and the scene of what someone thought were testubes--and somehow ended up with a pregnancy. A pregnancy in their situation would have been purely selfish since the child would disappear when time was reversed. no, those vials(not testtubes) were Teal'cs meds.

Quite a piece of technology. Star trek ships had replicators which could replicate(ie reproduce) anything for which they had a template/specs, but the Asgard went a quantum leap further......but can you imagine Vala trying to make it make fuzzy handcuffs, roller blades and lingerie, also Carter's cello,and living growing earth plants Why would they be in the Asgard data base?????At least it accounted for(sortof) fresh food for fifty years.

NOW...who do you suppose did the cooking????We know Cam can make macaroons at least he likes and we've seen Vala baking bread while with Tomin.....maybe they took turns. Can't you see Teal'c cooking????

Which brings me to the moment I've been waiting for since the Nov con. There is a scene where Sam is working at the console and things are not working out and she gets distraught. She leaves the console, the door opens and Teal'c is there to give her a hug and console her. Ben said when it was filmed, the door opened and there was Chris in only a thong with SG1 in rhinestones. Now that's an outtake I would like to see.
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:13 am

[quote="TINemo"]

Contrary to the opinion of some on Terra I don't think Vala had a miscarraige---a quantum leap prompted by the scene of Daniel consoling her and the scene of what someone thought were testubes--and somehow ended up with a pregnancy. A pregnancy in their situation would have been purely selfish since the child would disappear when time was reversed. no, those vials(not testtubes) were Teal'cs meds.[/quote]

That is ignoring the time line of the episode entirely. None of the character were aware that it would take 50 or so years for the to return to their own world - nor did they have precognition that it would require a reset.

So it would not have been remotely selfish for Vala and Daniel to have decided to have a baby anymore than any other two people in love.

In fact it would be in gesture of faith in the future and faith in each other.

Not selfish at all.

Of course everyone is allowed to interpret that scene for themselves - but to assume that they wouldn't have done it because the child would have been erased at the end of the episode assume that the characters knew ahead of time what the end of the episode was going to be. And if they knew that... it wouldn't have taken them 50 years.

I will agree that SG-1 does not normally address adult issues like pregnancy or miscarriage - heck as far as I can tell none of the character on SG-1 even get sex - but in the real world - sex often leads to pregnancy. And occasionally pregnancy leads to miscarriage.

And that would explain the sequence of events. Vala and Daniel have sex. Montage of scientific testing. Vala is crying inconsolably and Daniel is comforting her.

Everyone can interpret those scenes as they wish - I just like the idea that these character were dealing with adult situations and not just swashbuckling around the universe. Or dying of boredom. Which would not have taken 50 years.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:56 am

In my opinion, Vala is crying because of the d4esperation of being trapped in a ship for they didn't know how much time then, it ended up 50 years. Everyone is desperate at one moment or another. Landry channels his depseration gardening, Cam, desèrate of not having the key to save the team from this situation. He is a soldier, and a leader and he doesn't like being helpless like that.

Vala is not used to be like that, trapped. she is a woman of action. Daniel seem more clamed, stronger, but also desperate. Vala is crying and Daniel consoling her, but he doesn't know what will be their future thhere, trapped in a ship.

And Sam is desperate trying to fond a way to scape from the Ori attack on time.

I don0t think Vala is crying for being pregnant. She had enough in the Ori galaxy with pregnancies.

I'm wondering what would ve do or feel in that situation. We would do our best to survive there witout going crazy, and we would have our desperation moments. I think.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:31 pm

[quote="AERYNSUN"]I don0t think Vala is crying for being pregnant. She had enough in the Ori galaxy with pregnancies.

[/quote]

So basically what you are saying is that Vala will NEVER have another child.

Because of what happened to her in the Ori Galaxy she will never want to have a child with Daniel - or anyone.

No matter how long she lives, no matter how secure their relationship. No matter how stable the relationship.

Vala will never have another child.

Wow.

That is something that I personally never got from the series.

Gotta say, I am surprised. I didn't think that SG-1 wrote characters arcs that would deal with such a painful and adult situation - with such serious long-term consequences for both Daniel and Vala.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:12 pm

I0m not saying that at all. Vala knows that that situation will take a long tome top be solved and that is not the perfect place to have a child, with del or witrh anyone.

Maybe if the situations was different, MAYBE there would be that possibility. But I'm surprised that you only point that part of my post. I'm a Vala/Aeryn/Claudia fan, and I've realized how much the character has changed, but at the end, Vala is Vala, and she is what she is. Vala is not Aeryn, and Daniel is not Chricton.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Life happens. Vala - like all women - has a biological clock. There she is, stuck on a ship waiting for Sam to find a way out while she and Daniel are trying to build a relationship.

I absolutely can see Vala saying to Daniel: "We don't know when we will get out of here - but I believe we will someday. And right now is when I can have babies. So we either do it now - or never do it."

I personally do not see Vala taking the 'safe' route. The "We should not have children because of all the bad things that might happen" route.

I see Vala as looking the future right in the eye with her chin up and taking the chance anyway.

Daniel would be the cautious one and he would probably argue vociferously against it - but reproduction is ultimately in the hands of the female. And Vala is one female who lives life to the fullest.

50 years on a ship with the man she loves and she ISN'T going to chose to have a baby?

Not the character I know.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:07 pm

It takes two to have babies. As you said, Daniel is the cautious one in the relationship. Vala likes living the present. And don't forget that after the time dilation ends, te baby woulnd't have never existed, as is is their relationship. The only one remembering those 50 years is Teal'c. The others don't.

So it would be selfish for both of them if they decided to have babies knowing that sooner or later the time dialtion would end. I don't see Daniel and Vala like that , not in this episode, not in the other ones.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:59 pm

[quote="AERYNSUN"]It takes two to have babies. As you said, Daniel is the cautious one in the relationship. Vala likes living the present. And don't forget that after the time dilation ends, te baby woulnd't have never existed, as is is their relationship. The only one remembering those 50 years is Teal'c. The others don't.
[/quote]

Oddly enough - I don't forget that. But - and I said this before - the Characters are NOT aware of what it is going to take to save them.

And would Daniel tell Vala that no you can't ever have a baby because now we are stuck on a spaceship for the foreseeable future?

Is Daniel that selfish?

Actually. Yes he is.

So yes. You are quite right. Vala would be condemend to a childless existence because Daniel is too immature and selfish and controlling to recognise that Life Happens and risks must be taken.

He is not a worthy partner for Vala.

[quote]
So it would be selfish for both of them if they decided to have babies knowing that sooner or later the time dialtion would end. I don't see Daniel and Vala like that , not in this episode, not in the other ones.[/quote]

They DON'T know this!!! They don't know this at all! Unless suddenly one of the characters developed precognition (off screen) and told Vala and Daniel (off screen) how their predicament was going to end (off screen) and as well (off screen) some how convinced them to NOT tell Sam how to fix the problem!

That is inconceivable.

P.S. By the way? The resolution of the storyline required that Teal'c be the one to stand in the protected area and lose 50 years of his existance. If Vala and Daniel had a child that child (all grown up by that time) would have been the one to stand in the protected field.

So all of SG-1 would have got the reset button and everyone would have survived.
Last edited by Firecracker on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:15 pm

you win.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby SunKrux on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:35 pm

[i]*note this is my opinion of the eps and only my opinion, you can agree to disagree all you like, it won't change the way I feel about it[/i]

Yes, Daniel is selfish. Why else would he have hurt her like he did in the beginning and then immediately expect her to go to bed with him?

And don't get me started on her reaction to his "You better not be messing with me." line. EXCUSE ME?! What a load of dren. He hurts her, she takes it and then immediately sleeps with him. Way to go writers...way to frell up the months of making Vala secure in herself by writing that piece of dren scene.

Sorry, but that whole Daniel/Vala stuff left a very bad taste in my mouth and made me dislike Vala a little more than I have, ever.

Why would she accept him after he ripped her heart out and stomped on it repeatedly? I'm sorry but that was a load of dren, imho.

As for the vials, it's Teal'c's medicine, not test tubes. We clearly see Teal'c pick one up and use it. They replicated more of it so he could live.

On a whole, I was not very impressed with "Unending". Mostly due to the Daniel/Vala stuff. That and Cam...what a drenhead he was to Sam. Everyone else was feeling the same way about the situation but he was the only one who seemed to want to make Sam feel worse than she already did.
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:59 pm

I agree with you. About the Daniel/Vala situation, I think she acce`ts him because she feels alone, a bit misplaced, in my opinion, and Daniel is the only one that understands her in a professional way, but I think that for Daniel is a way of denial that he likes Vala, that he has feelings for her, but with her story, us much easier for him to deny it and hurt her the way he did.

And I agree with you, if I had been Vala, I wouldn't have accepted Daniel after everything he said to her. As a woman, I have as we all have, aour pride and dignity, and I'm also suprised that the scripters worte that scene that way.

And about Cam, as I said before, he is a man of action, and doing nothing is just the opposite of what he is used to do. And he pays on Sam his frstation. A typical male reaction, imho.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby TINemo on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Noone wants to discuss who cooked?????

OK, another question. What are *the shields*.Apparently they are not metallic or something armor ,so are they electromagnetic *force fields*? How come they always fail????

The ship is apparently huge---someone on scifi tried to do the math of how far the beam had to travel in.0??? seconds and therefor how large the ships must be but I couldn't follow their math since they could not decide how large was the time dilation field--only around the ship?including the beam?including the Ori ship? Anyway it is hard to tell what functions certain parts have. Some must be sublight and hyperspace engines, some living quarters(and roomy at that), some hanger space for the planes etc. So How come no matter where the ship gets hit ---by whoever's energy beam--- the stuff on the bridge shorts out, sparks smokes etc. It doesn't seem to be very well designed... yes I know Sam helped design it and yes I know the fans like to see the pyro and the lurching around..... but it seems pretty StarTrek hokey. If you fire on a naval ship and hit crew quarters or the galley or whatever---the bridge doesn't short out and come all undone.

I am really tired of trying to make some sense of the technobabble. If the ship has a zero point module(how many of those are there anyway?) why would it wear out in 50 years if it kept Atlantis going for 10000 years??
I would like a succinct and easily understood explanation of what the writers think can be done with the beaming tech, the cloaking tech,the *shields*, the merlin doohickey etc etc.I don't have to believe it, I just want it cleared up. Fat chance, huh?

PS Gateworld says the primary filming of the two DVDs Ark of Truth and Continuum is completed and they expect to release both in 2008----and they hint another script has been commisioned.
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby AERYNSUN on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 pm

Maybe the Ori have improved their fire power so that it could cross the strongest shield in thew world. Remember they are very powerful and no one can beat them.

Well, except SG-1, of course. They are the only ones who can beat them. They are the best. At least in this case.

Adria, in spite of being ascended, can guide them and be more dangerous than ever.

Til now, wverything SG-1 have tried againts the Ori has failed, escept Merlin's device, but is useless hiding forever. I'm sure they will find a way to beat the Ori forever and ever.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows