OFFICIAL SG1 Season 10 discussion thread SPOILERS

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

OFFICIAL SG1 Season 10 discussion thread SPOILERS

Postby SunKrux on Sun May 07, 2006 6:45 am

Ok, I know we're all excited about season 10 of SG-1 due to Ben and Claudia appearing, so, in an effort to cut down on people spoiling things, I've opened this one for S10. In the future, please use this thread to ask any questions about S10. If I see any threads asking questions about S10, I will lock them.

Please use THIS one now!

Thank you! :D

Even though this has SPOILERS in the title of the thread, please use SPOILER SPACE when posting to keep others from being spoiled. Thank you!
Last edited by SunKrux on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby KaraS on Mon May 08, 2006 1:54 pm

Oh come on. If a person goes into a thread marked SPOILERS and sees a spoiler s/he doesn't want to see, S/he has only her/himself to blame.

I can understand how some people might not want to know everything that's happening in advance, but some antispoiler nazis get upset when someone says/posts nonspecific information available in a variety of readily accessible places, like TV Guide or in coming attractions commercials. Let's try for a happy balance.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon May 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Spoiler Space

And now the spoiler

I was alreasdy looking forward to this season because of Claudia Black and the Holy War. But when I found out who'd be playing Vala's baby in adult form. Wow! And both her and Claudia in the same series. Gotta love it.

The casting folks at SG-1 are really working overtime here. Beau Bridges, Ben, Claudia, now her. Even if it's doubtful she'll be a regular, still pretty damn cool.

I'm leaving out the who unless anyone asks. In which case I'll put more spoiler space. Or if anyon wants to check to check themselves they canb go to Gate World where I found out.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby SunKrux on Mon May 08, 2006 8:08 pm

KaraS wrote:Oh come on. If a person goes into a thread marked SPOILERS and sees a spoiler s/he doesn't want to see, S/he has only her/himself to blame.

I can understand how some people might not want to know everything that's happening in advance, but some antispoiler nazis get upset when someone says/posts nonspecific information available in a variety of readily accessible places, like TV Guide or in coming attractions commercials. Let's try for a happy balance.

That's what I'm trying to do, sorry if you don't agree with it. Just because the information is readily available out there, doesn't mean others should use it to spoil those who do not go looking for it.

Personally, I prefer the term SpoilerVirgin to nazi. :D
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

SG-1 Season 10+++.....

Postby RinnicBob on Mon May 08, 2006 8:26 pm

I have to be honest, I just couldn't get into SG1. Ever. Even when Ben & Claudia joined the cast in s9, I still only watched occasionally. But now, slowly, I find myself being reeled in, and my anticipation of what's to come is building.

Why? Is it Ben? Is it Claudia? Is it (cough, cough) Beau Bridges? Nope. It's, of all things, the Ori. They are scary interesting villains, to me. And very, very topical to today's Earthbound events.

Religious fanaticism, and blind zealotry are two of the most fascinating, and frightening, aspects of human culture. Muqtada Al-Sadr, Osama Bin Laden, Jerry Falwell, Sun Myung Moon, you name it. These are very scary people, folks, and their followers even more so. So, for me, the Ori and their claptrap religion strike a chord of realism I find compelling, even if somewhat disturbing.

Whenever a dictator has cloaked themselves in religion, even if only as a sham, Adolf Hitler for example, the evils perpetrated by their minions, and those swept up in the blind hatred and ignorance of their myopic, insidious point of view, are horrifying. So, multiply that dictatorial bent by thousands of non-corporeal "ascended" beings with powers beyond all known technology, and the potential for carnage on a massive scale is unsurpassed. The Goa'uld were amateurs by comparison.

This show seems to have taken a pretty dark turn. Even so, I find myself compelled to watch no matter what.
Heredity: A chronic, sexually transmitted disease, for which there is no cure.

Seven words which describe technology: Hal. Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
RinnicBob
Luxan Warrior

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon May 15, 2006 5:11 pm

I agree. The whole tone of the fanatical worshipers has disturbingly familiar ring.

There is a real sense of threat and urgency that hasn't on SG-1 sense almost as far back as the first season.

Seeing those big ships with holding possibly thousands of "Holy Warriors" enter the galaxy in mass was particularly chilling.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby BlackAdder on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Well, if you are are me (and chances are good you are not) then at least one of the Season 10 Spoilers is extremely depressing. A lot of the stuff looks promising for Ben and Claud though and for that I'm pleased.

Do I need to put a spoiler space in a spoiler thread? I hope not - here goes -
S
P
o
I
L
E
R*

Early stills have Vala looking really quite good. I'm not sure about her magically aging child as the big villain to overcome spoiler (in terms of quality) but there's some hope that it should be honestly creepy. Looks like Cameron continues to grow into a really solid character.

The tenth season is being touted as the last season, which is probably true and I've been a fan since day one despite the mediocre scripts, a young actor caught my attention and I was an official fan. Michael Shanks was something like 25 when this whole thing started.

I know he's only contracted for 16 of the twenty episodes (time off with his family and at least one trip to SGA) and I hope that he and his wife are very happy about the newest addition to their family. However, BIG DARN SPOILER SO TURN AWAY IF YOU DON'T CARE TO KNOW - I'm about ready to spit nails. When I first heard that Daniel is turned into an Prior I was truly saddened.

But it's looking more and more like they've taken the "how many times will we kill Daniel?" joke of old a step farther and the series will end with Daniel's death as Prior. Seeing as the guy has come back from the dead more than once, it wouldn't bug me as much. After all, even in Meridian (an episode where even the directors giving commentary got choked up by MS's performance) there was a sense that he'd show back up.

However, the series ender will probably contain his death with no reprieve this time. That isn't rock solid confirmed by any means but if you spent ten years as a Shanks as Dr. Jackson fan? It's incredibly depressing. I hope some news breaks soon that givens the character that I spent ten years really liking (even in season six, the only bright spots for me were when Daniel showed up to incorporeally help his friends and one of those was truly a tear jerker) then bummed doesn't begin to cover it.

I love Vala, really like the addition of Cam but I will be one seriously unhappy fan if this series ends on the cold corpse of Daniel Jackson. Gah, I've now upset myself so thoroughly that I need to go and watch something cheerful just at the thought.

My BSG source has been feeding me the Daneil spoilers very kindly because he knows I am a big fan and he was really hesitant about telling me "At the moment, it looks like magic Danny is a goner." Ten years wasted. Hells bells.

On the brighter side of that, it's in the second half of he season and Jack returns for what looks like three episodes. Whether or not the two storylines are related is also up in the air but since the basic premise for the orignal movie was that Dr. Jackson basically discovers how to make the Stargate work and ends up helping to save Jack's life chances seem high that the storylines are related. We'll see.

I told my husband this and even he was depressed - but quickly rallied saying "but Daniel has to be trying to trick the Priors right, right???"

I honestly don't know.

Edited to add a spoiler space and one new piece of information that comes from an LJ debate - series canon dictates that there is no way to cease to be a prior other than death (at which point they believe they ascended, Orllon said they didn't and we know that the Ancients have ascended people in the past, Oma stepped in with Daniel but the Others knew about him and returned him to life the second time when replicator Sam killed him). I know I'm the only big Daniel fan here but the debate we were having was this - perhaps Daniel's reprieve will lie in the fact that he's already been ascended, not once but twice. The Others (bunch of snots that they are) may be working through Daniel once again. We'll see. But the series head writer is terming the storyline controversial for Daniel. The last time that word was used in conjuction with Daniel's character, Shanks was leaving the series.

Keep in mind, this is speculation based on the spoilers that are known for Episode 13 "The Shroud" (darn, even the title doesn't bode well).

What isn't speculation: In the 200th episode the Furlings finally make their appearance. No serious reports about their appearance (as in physical appearance) but they FINALLY get around to showing them. This is according to Cooper via the Cult Times.

Also, I didn't see the actresses name mentioned who will eventually be playing Vala's daughter - she appears in episode seven as a full grown woman is none other than Morena Baccarin (best known as Inara on Firefly and Serenity) which is part of the reason I have hope for that story arc.

Also confirmed - the sexual tension between Vala and Daniel is toned down significantly (which may mean they are just good friends).

There is some speculation that season Ten will not be the last SG1 season after all - but that the orignal cast is by no means a lock (although Tapping and Judge seem likely) - that's a big part of the reason that Shanks character death seems likely, since RDA left he is the most expensive actor they have. Excuse me, I feel the need to mope a bit again.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Postby KaraS on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:25 pm

Don't mope. Just enjoy the ride. It is sure to be spactacular.

Warning, Rampant Speculation coming next.
Speculation space
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
We know that Daniel's ascended twice and that certain ascended folk seem to be able to take human form and reascend at will. Just because the Ori don't ascend their Priors as promised doesn't mean that Daniel couldn't ascend again if he died as a Prior. And if he couldn't do it by himself, if other ascended Ancients are using him as a spy in the Prior's ranks, surely they would help him.

And just because the regular old humans of the Ori galaxy can't unPrioritize themselves doesn't mean that Daniel can't. Especially if he has help from Oma or another ascended being.

And really, Daniel OWES the ascended beings in this galaxy. If he hadn't used the device to travel (in spirit) to the Ori galaxy, the Ori would still be living in blissful ignorance that the humans and ascended beings of the Milky Way existed. And there would be no war. And millions of humans and Jaffa would not have been slaughtered by the Priors for refusing to follow the Ori. And is Daniel losing sleep over that?

So don't despair. If this IS the last season of SG-1 (and why would it be if it's still getting good ratings?) it will free Michael Shanks up to do other projects like Swarmed! Surely THAT is something to look forward to. :twisted:
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby KaraS on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:19 pm

OK, who watched the sesaon premier last night?

SPOILERS
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X

Ok, so I'm loving Daniel and Vala together all over again. They do make a cute couple. That part where Vala pushed him over the bed when her husband was coming was seriously funny.

Vala has really changed. Can you see the old Vala from last season saying that Daniel should have kidnapped Adria rather than rescuing her? And I think she really does love her husband. And her husband really loves her. But their relationship will never work out well with the Ori between them.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby KaraS on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Oh, and it's getting rediculous if Morena Baccarin really is the actress who will play the grown up Adria. With refugees from Farscape, Andromeda and Star Trek already in the cast, adding one from Firefly, well, it's starting to get silly.

Not that I don't like her or don't think she's a good actress, but perhaps it would have been wiser to pick an actress who isn't already associated strongly with other scifi programs.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Well, I haven't seen the episode yet, but In my opinion, there's nothing worng in including actors from these series or others. The important thing is if they are good actor nor notm that's what matters to me. Ben and Claudia for example are wonderful actors and Robert Picardo is also an excellent actor. I've seen him in Star Trek voyager and he plays wonderfully his role.

In Fasrscape there were different additions and it worked very well. We just have to wait and see.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby BlackAdder on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:54 pm

Spoiler Space if you haven't seen the episode

I thought the episode dragged a bit and was choppy but that Cameron resucuing Sam was a good call back to his "risk it all" nature hinted at in last season. I've been really pleased by how after the initial screams of "Where's Jack?" by fan early on, Ben seems to have been accepted as the leader.

I'm sorry but Shanks and Black have some of the funniest chemistry onscreen this show has ever sported. Between the "HIDE" (Shove) and then the equally funny Daniel realizes "Crap, I'm about to be beamed out of here." and the way he grabbed Vala was honestly sweet. They do have good onscreen chemistry no matter how it is played (romantically or comedically). It's funny how easy it is to overlook the "Shanks sort of looks like Browder" thing because honestly, it's only a "they look like cousins at most" kind of resemblance.

I don't think Vala actually loves her husband, by the way. I think that she just doesn't want him to be killed and since he's not the father of her daughter (she was genetically engineered) he's bound to be in for a nice Prior burning for marrying a traitor or something (not that Vala is a traitor, it's just that the Prior's are a bit on the HARSH side).

But I loved that Daniel grabbed Vala instead of the weird kid because it was not only the smarter move, it was the more loyal one. Smart because, yeah, don't bring that girl back with you until you understand a lot more about her. Talk about ticking the Prior's/Orii off. But he had next to no time to make the decision so I think it was more of "Grab my friend (or whatever) because by not listening to her, I'm part of the reason she's in this mess and she's part of our team." kind of thing.

Actually, I thnk the pick for the grownup Adria is perfect since speculation is already running high that daddykins of engineered girl is none other than You Know Who. No idea how in the heck they accomplshed that but that's the rumor mill stuff (emphasis on rumor) And the actress actually looks like she could be Vala's daughter by Daniel. Dark hair, ala Vala, bright blue eyes and a teensy profile. I also find it funny that they may have gone with yet another "Uh, pardon me? We never even did the deed!" storyline on SG1. I swear this series is practically allergic to sex.

By the way, Oh My GODS I am sick of the free Jaffa. I love Bra'tac and Teal'c but I was yawning over the entire "Chulack, in danger! Oh no!" stuff. Enough already, the Free Jaffa are just not compelling.

Cam, large and in charge is. Vala is wonderful and just a bit different this season already and if they stick to keeping her scenes with the actors she has the most chemistry with (Browder obviously and then Shanks who I swear is a truly gifted comedian in his own right - actually, she did fine with all of them but great with Shanks) things are looking up.

What is up with Amanda though? The poor woman just looked really, really drained again. She's such a cutey that I feel like tossing vitamin supplements at her. I love that SG1 is one of the few shows that actually is fine with their lead actresses having babies (and Dr. Lamb is probably Dr. Bye Bye but that is probably a matter of choice). so I wonder if she's back trying for a second (in which case, Go Amanda!).

Realistically, there is a reason to not renew the show with the original cast (although I'd much prefer if none of them permanently croaks so that they can do guest appearances - I still think they screwed up slightly in killing Janet) ....although Shanks takes the "Do anything you are offered and make hay while it is there to be made" approach (and he's really funny in his interviews about how bad some of his TV movies have been) - what with reruns and ten seasons, these people have residuals - not enough to make them rich-rich-rich but it isn't as if they have to worry about their future income in terms of food on the table.

Plus, I hate to say it but the original characters are a bit played out. I do hope that they get another renewal but there's actually been talk of a movie for a long time - a Scifi movie but still, it doesn't stink to be a paid actor. We'll see, at the moment, I know I perked up just seeing Claudia in the opening credits.

This show is not as inventive as Farscape ever was but it has the same rumor of being just about the best series to be involved with in terms of how the cast and crew get along. Whatever the storyline ends up being, I'm glad that both Ben and Claudia landed in with such a nice group once again. Paychecks and a good atmosphere (that is evidently very family friendly on set) - plus a tradition of cast and crew BBQs. It does make me happy for both of them.

I'm feeling optimistic once again just seeing the gang together. I love how Ben and Claud blend so well with that gang. In person and on most boards SG fans are just great people, very warm and friendly.

Corin Nemec might have had a different experience with the fans and I hope he does another drive-by this season for something, the writer's are awfully good about trying to throw actors a paycheck bone when they can.

Oh, and by the way? The cast off syndrome is in part because obviously, Shanks wife didn't have to arm wrestle her way in (and neither did Fran when Farscape was one so no harm, no foul) - and the fact that a lot of Scifi actors are based out of British Columbia Vancouver. So it isn't just a "Come to us, people that are from cancelled Scifi shows." but more that she's a known Scifi face, lives up there and she's pretty darned good.
If the spoilers I read are correct then it isn't a long tern gig and it's expensive for the L.A. set to cummute for a three part appearance or less, if those spoilers are correct. By the way, the engineered daughter of Vala and Daniel thing makes some sense, although Daniel doesn't carry the Ancient gene (or maybe he does, it's been ten years people, I can never keep it straight if he did or didn't) he has ascended twice and it's possible they were looking for knowledge the same way that replicator Sam was. She'd make a heck of a villain that way, knowledge of the Ancients (that Daniel does actually have) and Prior/Orii made? She'd be darned near invicable in conquering the galaxy.

I kind of love that the knew Asgaard rep is just flat out irritated by human's to. I adored Thor but how in the heck they get a puppet to give a withering stare so well is really funny.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Postby KaraS on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Daniel did not have the ancient gene. It was O'Neill who had it.

As for Daniel being the father, he and Vala never slept together and since Daniel was never actually in the Ori galaxy (it was just the thought transferrance machine) I don't know how the Ori would get a genetic sample of any kind.

Unless a Prior brought one back? Was Daniel touched by any Priors last season?
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:26 pm

I've seen today the episode Flesh and Blood.
I've seen how much perversity, in my opinion there's in the Ori Priors, when the baby is taken from Vala for example.

There was also something that reminds me one Farscape Episode, when D'argo and Crichtom eject from the Transport pod to make it crash into the Gammak base, I'm referring Mitchell's plan to destroy the ori ship, crashin the ship into the ori's.

I loved that part in Farscape and I love it in Stargate now.

It0s hard to watch Vala's disappointment and sadness when she is taken aout the baby and how she sees her growing like the Ori leader and questioning her mother's beliefs.

It0s good to see however hiw the sg-1 team is re-jling after the battle. We can see the new sg-a team.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby SunKrux on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:32 pm

AS - It was Bra'Tac's idea to crash the ship, not Cam's. Cam's idea was to have them all beamed out once they realized they weren't going to be able to destroy that ship. :D
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Next

Return to Other Shows