OFFICIAL Stargate Atlantis -SPOILERS

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

OFFICIAL Stargate Atlantis -SPOILERS

Postby Dani Moure on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:19 pm

Please use this thread to discuss the show. DO NOT start another thread to ask questions or discuss the show. It will be closed/locked.
- Most-Watched Series in Sci Fi History

From the vault, some interesting news. IMO the more exposure Sci Fi gets (and more promos they run during stuff like Stargate) the better for PKW...

SCI FI UNEARTHS RATINGS GOLD IN ‘STARGATE ATLANTIS’

Highest-Rated Series Premiere in SCI FI History

First Ever SCI FI Series to Deliver More than 4 Million Viewers

SCI FI’s July 16 series debut of Stargate Atlantis, delivered the best performance of any series in the Channel's history. With a 3.2 HH rating, the 2-hour event (9-11PM et/pt) delivered 4,191,000 viewers P2+ and became the highest-rated and most-watched episode of any series that has ever aired on SCI FI.

Stargate Atlantis became the #1 cable program of the day among P18-49 and P25-54, and made SCI FI #1 in cable among those demos for the night (8-11pm).

Building upon – and surpassing – the record-setting season opening ratings of its sister series, Stargate SG-1 (2.4 HH rating/3,224,000 P2+ on July 9, 9-11PM et/pt), Stargate Atlantis has now shattered all of SCI FI’s previous viewership records for series, becoming the:

* Highest-rated and most-watched premiere of any series in SCI FI history
* First episode of any series on SCI FI to deliver over a 3.0 HH rating
* First episode of any series on SCI FI to deliver over 4 million viewers (P2+)
* #1 series in both ratings and viewers P2+, P18-49 and P25-54 in SCI FI history

Atlantis delivered 33% higher HH ratings and 30% more total viewers than the impressive SG-1 premiere.

The late night encore performance (11PM-1AM) continued to attract viewers, delivering an incredible 1.8 HH rating/2,166,000 P2+. Once again, Atlantis had a strong showing among the key demos, garnering a 1.3 HH rating/1,294,000 P2+ among P18-49 and a 1.5 HH rating/1,390,000 among P25-54.
.dani//MOURE
Webmaster and anime maniac. Raelee Hill's biggest fan. David Kemper's biggest fan too.
Also webmaster/owner of Farscape World (duh!).
Dani Moure
Evil Overlord
Evil Overlord

Postby greg donovan on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:33 pm

wow, thats pretty impressive. i liked this show. it has good potential. sure it has some pretty conveient plot devices. but heck, what show doesnt?

spoliers

i like how their mission is not about trying to get home like voyager was. they are stuck there and they knew that was going to happen. king of surprised they killed the big star in the premiere. i hated that character. but i didnt want to see him die. i wanted to see him evlove into a likeable character. or be the guy we all love to hate. and if the guy w/ancient DNA is the only one that can make stuff work right he is going to be a very busy man. and it take away from the suspense of anything ever bad happening to him.
greg donovan
Peacekeeper Commander

Atlantis

Postby cowboycop on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:24 pm

Personally I was disapointed in Atlantis. I tought they were going to mix it up a little. If you look at it its the same as stargate same plot basis. I'll bet you "1 million Dollars"(austin powers) that the ratings fall steadily now that the hype of the premiere is over. What we need to do is puch scifi for more advertising for PKW. Not only during stargate and atlantis but all day. I garantee that "if air it they will come"!!

Farscape forever!! :D
cowboycop
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby War1980 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:47 pm

Atlantis was a let down, i want my two hours back.
War1980
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Cattivo on Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:44 pm

Holy crap that's a high rating...but I also suspect that it will go down a bit since the hype is over...how much is the question though...
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby ladytass2001 on Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:54 pm

I thought it was good. There are a few things that I saw that I thought were a little overdone could they make it anymore obvious what they were borrowing the Brogues from? I loved Scotty I will always love Scotty but they stole the idea really. Weir is gonna have a hard job living up to the Hammond mystique,and their *new* Carter is really just a whiny know it all who hasn't got a clue(carter and daniel in the same person?)....but maybe he can change.....I do like the new Enemies---make the Go'auld look like babies(or at least children throwing a fit). And the new allies look to be more involved in the actual fight to live day to day( not that T'ealc and Braetoc are not).Kind of makes you wonder who the new *super allie* is going to be(The Asgard seem to have their hands full at the moment). At least we have a decent new Sci-fi on and at least we are not all mindless reality show zombies.
Blessed Be
There is no end. There is no begining,There is only the Passionfor ....Life
Federico Fellini
ladytass2001
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby ruach on Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:25 pm

I also enjoyed the show. Sure, it's not Farscape, but at least it not "reality" TV. It has real potential. The actors fit nicely into their roles but it takes time to get vested in characters and we ( the viewers) will make a decision about that in the next couple of months. If Atlantis is a hit and the SciFi channel gets a little more advertising dollars , and if the PK wars pulls in great ratings, maybe we can get more Farscape. I'm know that I'm not living in the real world but God I would like to have Farscape really come back. If not as a weekly series, then three or four times a year as a mini-series. That would still leave the cast free to do other work.

BTW, the character of Major Sheppard played by Joe Flannigan has some real life already, as does Dr Weir (nice balance to Sheppard), Dr Becket, and Lt Ford. When they are fleshed out I'm sure they will be even be better. The character that we are supposed to think of as T'ealc-like
is Teyla Emmagen but she leaves me cold. Maybe the future eps will change my mind about her.
Karl Heinrich Oelefsenten von Eichstatt struck Cody as a cross between Rambo and Geppetto, with a pinch of Merlin thrown in. ~INTERLOPERS
Ben Browder ~ Cody Westcott
www.teeswithatwist.com
ruach
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

SG-A, liked it.......

Postby helo_rn_scaper on Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:02 am

Ok I liked it! Did you note all the teasers? They were driving me crazy.
It should of done well. Not to mention that all the scapers were watching to see the Mini-series teaser. :shock:
"......you can be more." John to Aeryn
helo_rn_scaper
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Scorp on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:43 pm

Impressive ratings... I liked Stargate, but it isn't that great... :shock: Personal, the characters didn't really seemed that great to me.. Dr. Weir looked like the brunette version of Carter and the outfits looked a bit like a miscloned version of a Star Trek suit. But I haven't seen the serie yet, so perhaps on screen it looks better then on the pics.

Cattivo wrote:Holy crap that's a high rating...but I also suspect that it will go down a bit since the hype is over...how much is the question though...
AGree. Everyone was excited and curious. So now they have to keep up scoring with the show (which will probably be compared with SG-1, making it somehwat harder) to staisfaction of Sci Fi channel.
Scorp
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Farscape Forever on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:26 pm

Cant wait til it comes over to the UK along with Farscape:PW,Battlestar galactica and stargate.

I think Stargate:Atlantis starts on 12th october on sky one in the UK. Can anyone confirm this?
Godlike aliens. Boy, do I hate godlike aliens. I'll take a critter over a godlike alien any time...
Farscape Forever
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby BritAngie on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:01 pm

I've seen both new Season (is it 8? ) Stargate and Atlantis and I have to say of the 2 Atlantis was the more interesting of the two. Both are far better than some tv out there.. There is just too much reality tv rubbish out there and worse.. At the end of the day sci fi is a great genre but in some ways a rediculed and endangered one if we don't as sci fi fans support all shows that showcase elements of what we love about it. Not every sci fi show is fabulous it's true-but not every sci fi show is Farscape. :D Stargate and Atlantis have their place in it along with Farscape. I think we can all think of sci fi shows which are much much worse-but then again I bet you those worst sci fi shows still blow the best of other genres out the water.
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby Up From The Depths on Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:57 am

I've seen the first six seasons of Stagate (my roommate has them) and I'm pretty sceptical about Atlantis...if there are any fresh ideas to inject into this concept, they should've been incorporated into the original show, which has strained its basic conflict (the goauld and tokra) way beyond idea exhaustion.
Up From The Depths
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Farscape Forever on Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:26 pm

The Wraith look and sound pretty cool. Hopefully we will find more information on the ancients. But i havnt seen it so cant really speak :)
Godlike aliens. Boy, do I hate godlike aliens. I'll take a critter over a godlike alien any time...
Farscape Forever
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Dan Forever on Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:03 pm

At the moment Atlantis seems to be SG-1 with the same people but different names, but for some reason I still like it :oops:
Dan Forever
Luxan Warrior

Wow

Postby Nexus on Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:48 pm

I was looking forward to the show with scepticism, and when it came i loved it and it keeps getting better and better
Nexus
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Next

Return to Other Shows