OFFICIAL Battlestar Gallactica

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

OFFICIAL Battlestar Gallactica

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:38 pm

Mod Edit-SunKrux: This is now the OFFICIAL thread for BSG. Please DO NOT start another thread to discuss or as questions about this show. Ask your question here. Thank you. ;)

this is what I wrote to SciFi Channel:

"Dear Sci Fi channel:

My first impression of your new Battlestar Galactica (part one) is a word "silly". Instead of "lost in space" you gave me "sex in space"! Where are the "Cylons"? How convenient to invent cylons that look like humans to save money at least Farscape had real characters, thank goodness for Henson and their muppets!

What else, Oh yes, all of today's political correctness is present, from a dying female president (I felt no sympathy toward her at all) to a horribly acted and over played female fighter pilot (the new female Starbuck). Where is the science fiction? Surely this is NOT what today's public wants in science fiction? The Sci Fi channel wanted to be more mainstream well frell, you are even having a reality series as a new show so you must have arrived? Well, tonight I will be recording part two so I can skip the commercials of you upcoming "mainstream" season hoping part two has some redeaming science fiction, however I fear it won't. I suppose good science fiction will be a thing of the PAST (Poor Adult Scheduling Tonight) until the new four part "Farscape" returns to the air waves next year.
"

done in PA
"No Dream is guaranteed...the grace of age is we learn to accept." Gigi Edgley/Chiana admirer
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order

RE: Battlestar Gallactica

Postby DFScape on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:02 am

Hmm. I disagree. I'm not the biggest fan of the Sci-fi channel. I HATED what they did to Farscape.

BUT, I really enjoyed this mini-series (its no Farscape, but then, what is. I still enjoyed it though).

Of course, I'm not really a fan of the old Galactia, so I had none of those preconspections (sp).

I just went into this mini-series, hoping to enjoy it.

As for your comments:

1) 'sex in space', well you know as much as I love Farscape, Scape had plenty of Sex in Outer Space too. Maybe not quiete as graphics as that one part but...anyway, the second part had no sex scenes at all. So eh.

2) Cylons as humans. I think it works rather well. The whole 'the cylons could be anyone' works really well for me. (love the twist at the end of Pt. 2!). Also: there are robotic cylons! Two were shown at the beginning of Pt. 1 and two were shown at the end of Pt. 2. Hopefully the robotic cylons will return in the series and we'll get to see them in action. Plus: theres hints in the mini that the Cylon ships are actually cylons too. Over all, ya, I agree that the muppets on Farscape are better, but I do like the Cylons here

3) Dying President. I liked the president. And you know, imo, they did not over do the dying president thing. Yes, she is dying, but mostly she is trying to focus on saving the human race.

3) I liked the acting.

4) I liked Starbuck (theres a really cool scene with her and Apollo near the end of Pt. 2. I think I will really like the Apollo-Starbuck friendship in the series *hopes*)

5) Plenty of sci-fi here. Just not your typical science fiction, which imo, is a good thing! I like seeing a bit more 'realism' in this. But you do have the cylons ships (very sci-fi), the jump (also sci-fi), and the awesome space station. I think this mini had a lot of sci-fi, just with more of a 'realistic bent'. Definitly not too 'mainstream' though. lol. I liked it. Plenty of potential for even more sci-fi elements to pop up in the

6) I think this was good science fiction. It was definitly better then Enteprise currently is and definitly better then Voyager, TNG, and a few other shows I could name: *cough*andromada*cough*.

7) No good sci-fi is not a thing of the past. Theres just not as much as there use to be.

8) I can't wait till Farscape returns. I love that show. I still hate what Sci-fi did to the show, but I do like Battlestar. I'm really hoping Battlestar will be a series.

Well, anyway, I liked it. And it seems there are others that did too.

*hopes that we are in the majority, especialy in the ratings*

DF2506
" Also hopes that the Henson people at least annouce that the Farscape mini-series is really going to happen. is getting very impatient and most of all: worried..."
DFScape
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

RE: Battlestar Gallactica "spoilers"

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:54 pm

The early returns I have seen say over a 3 rating for the first part and probably means a series is inevitable ;( .

Part two only brought one word to my mind "pathetic".

The twelve (I could only count 10 adding up from that last scene.), why duplicates or triplicates, the convenience of picking one of the two human cylons to maroon on the space station. The "Harvey" cylon, seemed too close to John's neural clone From Farscape, however her assets were a lot better. I do not want to watch a show for assets, I wanted story and character development and here was more stereotypical characters, dying female president, a butch Starbuck, a drunk XO, a what seemed depressed Adama, a son who lacks emotion, I saw somewhere the term "campy" to describe the old BG and I think I would use that term to describe this pathetic remake.
"No Dream is guaranteed...the grace of age is we learn to accept." Gigi Edgley/Chiana admirer
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby The Bluelady on Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:19 am

Explore The Great Galaxy
The Bluelady

I agree. I just didn't like the new BG. Not because I saw the original series, but because the action scenes were not "action" . Its like we got a hint of action and then panned to something else . The show seemed to be more about the personal relationships than the battle to get to Earth!
Since the Sci-Fi Channel ditched their very best sci-fi show ever, the channel should change their name.
The Bluelady
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby DFScape on Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:27 am

>The show seemed to be more about the personal relationships than the battle to get to Earth!>

What we saw in the mini was only the set-up for the tv series. The mini was setting up the characters for the series.

And the battle to get to earth, did not show up till the end of the mini. Thats the set-up for the series (the battle to get to earth was what the mini was headed toward). The mini was prob not as intense as Farscape, but give it time. I thought there were some pretty cool action sequences in this (especially Part 2!).

Anyway, I quiete liked the mini. Yes, its not Farscape, but I thought the BSG mini was pretty good. I'm glad that it got such great ratings. Part 2, imo, was even BETTER then part 1. Thought it was really exciting and I loved the twist at the end.

IMO, BSG, like Farscape, was willing to take chances. Basically BSG, threw out the Sci-fi handbook (maybe even more the Scape did. Don't get me wrong, not saying the BSG mini is better then Scape, just saying it may be taking a bit more chances) and tried to do a more 'realistic' take on the outer space drama. I think it worked.

I hope Sci-Fi makes a series out of this. Hopefully they'll treat it better then you know what. lol.

*sigh*

DF2506
" Is still not happy with Sci-Fi's decision to cancel Scape, but I'd definitly watch BSG if it went to series."
DFScape
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Cattivo on Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:34 pm

>I hope Sci-Fi makes a series out of this. Hopefully they'll
>treat it better then you know what. lol.

Well, if history is any indication, I wouldn't get my hopes up as sci-fi's loyalty to its original programming is very fickle. The list is long indeed, as it just doesn't include Farscape. That's the main reason I didn't watch BSG, or any other new program on sci-fi; what's the point when they're just going to cancel it before its time.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

RE: Battlestar Galactica

Postby bocmatt on Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:24 pm

Being old enough to remember the original show (crap, I can actually say stuff like that), I'm mixed on the new Battlestar. I've thought for years that it would be a nice project to update, given the advances in SFX since 1980 (that's remake not rewrite). Despite the fact that this new version is brought to us by the network the brought us "Scare Tactics", I didn't think it was THAT bad.

The -'s:
1) Cylons disguised as humans. Been there, done that. Can you say "Terminators?" I agree, given the fact that SciFi was involved, this was probably cooked up to save $$.

2) And I thought Star Trek TNG was PC. Female villain, female tough "guy", female President, female minister. Man (no pun intended), it got thick. (before you label, see +'s). BTW, when you address a female President, it is okay to say "yes, ma'm", or "Madam President". Several times characters said "sir" when addressing her. I got the impression that this was not scripted slips because the former president was male, but simply PC script writing.

3) I understand that all the subplots are planting threads for later shows, but I found them to be more annoying than interesting; more tacked on than compelling.

4) Starbuckette. Give me a break. The origin of changing the sex of the character can only be dreamed up by the same mental process that gave us "New Coke". Why give up the "buddy" aspect of Starbuck/Apollo in the name of adding a "sexual/emotional tension" aspect. If its that important, add a new character.

5) Boomerette. And speaking of name theft, why change Boomer into a woman, other than to keep a cool nickname. Again, just sub in a new character. Boomer was not that integral in the original, so "his" absence is would not be traumatic if you don't have room for him.

6) Heck, why call it "Battlestar Galactica"? If the original story is good enough to warrant remaking then remake it. If it isn't good enough, come up with your own and let it stand by itself and not call it "BG" just to piggybacking onto the marketing power of the original. Why do writers/producers/whoever have to put their own "mark" on established material?

The +'s:
1) "Technical details" were done nicely. I liked the radio chatter and other military-like details that were included. The additional of maneuevering thrusters to the fighters and near silent running in space made them more "realistic".

2) The ship designs were updated nicely and it was nice to see that some of the interesting convoy ship designs from the original show popped up in the new show.

3) The Cylon design was pretty cool, though their walking motion was not as fluid as I would have expected from 21st Century SFX (budget constraints?). The looks of the Cylon ships and the missile launchings were also pretty cool.

4) The destruction of the colonies was done in an interesting way (not really shown). Although I'm sure this was done with costs in mind, it did contribute to the feelings of isolation, chaos, and "not knowing" that the characters would experience.

5) I thought the music was good; it was subtle and moody. The best example, I think, was just prior to the light-speed ships getting ready to jump before the Cylon ships arrived. This scene was also the closest the show came to a powerful moment - the dread of sacrificing thousands to save 10s of thousands.

6) The character of the President was a nice addition to the story (if you must add twists to it). It adds a military/cilvian dichotomy that the original show did not have. The fact that she is female, I think, adds to this dichotomy, the randomness of events, and also to the reluctant leader aspect of her character, as opposed to being just a gratuitous change.

All in all, to quote Montgomery Burns, "I know what I hate, and I don't hate this." However, beyond the initial pilot movie plot, I have doubts as to how compelling BG can be as a series.

Another season of Farscape would be better.
bocmatt
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

RE: Battlestar Galactica

Postby Chianalover on Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:44 pm

Most of the people I've talked to about this mini have pretty much disavowed it's very existence. The sci-fi netework is begining to turn itself into a joke whitch is really sad. Taken was a great mini series. This is just...there. I'm a big fan of the ld series and I heard that they were going to update it and I thought it would be great... Then I saw the Female starbuck and a winy little boomer, and no cylons except at the begininng. Sorry the androids were supposed to be Cylons. Then there was the Robbie the robot look alikes at the very end which I guess were supposed to be whet they normally look like. All I can say is that te original 3 hour movie did what the mini series did, in half the time and much better. Hell they had to do something right if the preimier of that beat the acadamy awards that year.

"FREEZE!! Or I'll fill u full of... Little yellow bolts of light" John Crichton: Premiere
Chianalover
Delvian Pa'u

New episodes are a go

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:47 pm

As sad as this makes me (everyone can read my impression of the miniseries above), part of me HOPES these new episodes FLOP (Forever Leave Onair Performance)

from TVGuide:
THE BATTLE HAS BEGUN: Sci Fi Channel is moving forward with plans to turn its recent Battlestar Galactica miniseries into a full-fledged weekly series. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network plans to shoot six new episodes to air in late 2004.

done in PA
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby I need more light on Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:50 am

I used to watch the original show and I am a very skeptical person when it comes to remakes. I never in a millon years would have pictured Quantum Leap dude as the prototype for Capt. Pike, but that is a different argument.

I am going with Chi_fi on alot of his initial feelings posted in his pre part 2 review, but after part 2 I felt it somewhat redeemed itself. If you go back and watch the original 1978 film the second half where the humans end up on that hive/mine/Las Vegas planet it got a little dodgey for me there and yet overall the series turned out ok until Galactica 80 UGH!

I am pulling for this one actually I enjoyed the techno revamping, but could have done without the over the top Starbuck character. As for casting James Edward Olmos did a fine job of Adama IMO but I was still hearing the Jan Hammer theme to Miami Vice in the background in my head.
I need more light
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:04 pm

I need more light wrote:I used to watch the original show and I am a very skeptical person when it comes to remakes. I never in a millon years would have pictured Quantum Leap dude as the prototype for Capt. Pike, but that is a different argument.

I am going with Chi_fi on alot of his initial feelings posted in his pre part 2 review, but after part 2 I felt it somewhat redeemed itself. If you go back and watch the original 1978 film the second half where the humans end up on that hive/mine/Las Vegas planet it got a little dodgey for me there and yet overall the series turned out ok until Galactica 80 UGH!

I am pulling for this one actually I enjoyed the techno revamping, but could have done without the over the top Starbuck character. As for casting James Edward Olmos did a fine job of Adama IMO but I was still hearing the Jan Hammer theme to Miami Vice in the background in my head.

ahhhhhhh! Miami Vice, good TV may have to watch one I have taped, the one with the Glen Frye song with Sonny driving after the drug dealers.
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Deckard on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:55 pm

Michael Knight, Stringfellow Hawke, BA Baracas. . . where are they now? Well, if the sudden reappearance of Battlestar Galactica (Mon, 8pm, Sky One) is anything to go by, the fondly-remembered action heroes of yore will be back on our screens in no time. And that'll be a good thing.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a repeat of the old Galactica: it's a brand-new, sophisticated, high-tech "re-imagining" of the series - and, surprise, surprise, it's really rather good. The daft-looking Cylons are now sophisticated androids adopting human form, Starbuck has become a cigar-chompin' lady, and the "rag-tag fleet" is rendered in gorgeous, pouting CGI.

What's more, it's about 300 times less panto than ever before. For example, this week's episode revolves around a prison riot led by a terrorist (played by Michael Hatch - Capt Apollo in the original series) who's eventually revealed to be an essentially decent man warped by decades of oppression, rather than a simple cackling bad guy wearing a big black hat. In space.

OK, so it's hardly The Sopranos Go Galactic, but it's a vast improvement on the original, and the fact that even a schlock US sci-fi series like this makes mainstream UK dramas like Holby City seem shitty and unrealistic is indicative of the overall quality of American TV drama right now. So, if the Americans are turning dumb old shows into challenging new ones, what other blasts from the past can we expect, and how might they fare?

The Guardian (London) - Final Edition
October 30, 2004
Deckard
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Up From The Depths on Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:16 pm

The old series was bad.

This was also bad, just in different ways.

http://www.geocities.com/tyrannorabbit/ ... ica03.html
Up From The Depths
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Deckard on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:48 am

Talk about things going over peoples head :shock: it dosnt even look like that reviewer even watched it. So I would take that with a pinch of salt really, probably get a better taste from it. It would seem they are in a minority anyway, the new series far oustrips many series attempting to be Sci-fi..

Having downloaded the mini-series about a week ago, I knew it was time to watch it to get up to speed with what the series would be offering so on Sunday night, I did just that. Watching it on a PC monitor, with all of the lights off and headphones on makes the experience one to remember, let me tell you. To those who have seen it, I'm sure you'll agree that it by far the best sci-fi - miniseries or otherwise - that's been on TV for a while.

And then, with the mini series very reluctantly out of the way, it was time to watch the beginning of the new series.

Since I had watched the miniseries (which was more like a movie, since I watched all three hours in one go) less than 24 hours prior to watching the series, it was great to see the show pick up pretty much right from where the miniseries left off.

Being a graphic designer in terms of moving image and otherwise, I found it a joy to watch the opening credits and hear music. I expected cymbal crashes and strings, yet was completely blown away by the lack of it, juxtaposed with the battlescenes. I feel it's just redefined the opening titles for any science fiction series and it done a great job at it. My only gripe is that I think it would of been nice to incorpoate some of the characters into the titles, while their respective credits were onscreen.

One thing that was highly visible and has already been noted in this thread is the God damn coolness of the special effects Battlestar Galactica uses for the space scenes. It's as if there is a cameraman with a handheld camera on the bow of any one of the ships, filming the battles as they happen, zooming in and out as and when neccessary. There is no fluid motion, trying to capture that sole Raptor in the shot, but rather multiple zooms in/out and panning to keep up with it as would be the case in reality. The people behind this effect really need a raise, because what they've done, is made space warfare interesting to watch again.

In addition to the visual effects, there was a distinct lack of audio when the fight scenes were taking place in terms of music. This is what really made me smile. The sheer sound of silence in space is one to behold, while all around you there are ships trying to destroy each other. The noise of the battle is enough soundtrack without the addition of composed music. Again, congratulations to the people behind this decision as it's paid off well.

On to the story. Dr Gauis Baltar is, to an extent the 'mad scientist' and the writers have done a good job of not making his character overly zany. The constant hallucinations he has with Number Six are a great way to keep his character in the plot, while others around him begin to notice his apparant dementia.

Starbuck's addition to the cast is a nice touch as well, providing a strong female role in frontline battle situations. Her inability to keep herself in check makes her more than just a good shooter, but a loose cannon. The same can be said for Colonel Tigh, who's alcohol problem will no doubt feature in many episodes.

President Laura Roslin was an interesting move and how she becomes leader of 12 colonies. You really must watch the miniseries for a decent grasp on how she does it, so I won't spoil that for you. Her deamenour is so different than nearly anyone elses in the show. The voice of reason, almost.

And last, but definitely not least is Commander Adama. I don't think you seen it quite as much in the opening episode of Battlestar Galactica, but in the miniseries at least, you can feel the respect he commands. Both his character and the actor himself (Edward James Olmos) seem perfectly suited to this job and I for one look forward to a long run of this show if it keeps up it's great storyline.

If you like Farscape, Babylon 5 or Firefly you will love this series, it's right up your street
Deckard
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Up From The Depths on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:29 am

Deckard wrote:Talk about things going over peoples head :shock: it dosnt even look like that reviewer even watched it.

Which reviewer are you referring to?
Up From The Depths
Delvian Pa'u

Next

Return to Other Shows