Question about episode The Way we Werent

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Question about episode The Way we Werent

Postby JackBauer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:40 am

How is the peacekeeper that recruited our pilot was able to speak to him, but on Moya, Pilot was untranslateable
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Re: Question about episode The Way we Werent

Postby Firecracker on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 pm

JackBauer wrote:How is the peacekeeper that recruited our pilot was able to speak to him, but on Moya, Pilot was untranslateable

Velorek was still able to talk Pilot (he talked to Ms.Pilot in her native language after all), but Pilot-speak is very complicated. So complicated that translator microbes can't handle them.

Velorek: He's speaking in his species' ancient language. One sentence can carry over a hundred different facts, concepts, emotions - far too complex for our translator microbes.

Pilot has to speak in simple phrases so that the translator microbes will translate. :)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Chocolate on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Umm, I think the question was actually referring to the fact that on Pilot's planet, he and Velorek were able to speak and understand each other quite easily, but when Pilot arrived on Moya suddenly no one could understand him and he had to learn to speak in simple sentences all over again.

I always thought that it was because he was so nervous and petrified when he arrived on Moya, not to mention the guilt he felt about the fate of Moya's previous Pilot.
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby AERYNSUN on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:11 am

My opinion is that when Pilot arrived on Moya was very frightened and when Velorek and him were talking in Pilot's home Planet , Pilot was at home and more comfortable than on Moya.

But in both places only Velorek could understand him, Aeryn coulnd't on Moya.

It appears that if Pilot speaks in siple sentences is more easy to translate for the translating microbes. I guess that's how Pilot could talk easily with the rest of Moya's crew.

I think.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby JackBauer on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:43 pm

Well I got 2 words for you!

Writing error!
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby AERYNSUN on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:52 pm

JackBauer wrote:Well I got 2 words for you!

Writing error!

That's what I thought.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby SunKrux on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:30 pm

AERYNSUN wrote:My opinion is that when Pilot arrived on Moya was very frightened and when Velorek and him were talking in Pilot's home Planet , Pilot was at home and more comfortable than on Moya.

But in both places only Velorek could understand him, Aeryn coulnd't on Moya.

It appears that if Pilot speaks in siple sentences is more easy to translate for the translating microbes. I guess that's how Pilot could talk easily with the rest of Moya's crew.

I think.

I think Velorek, being one of the leads on the whole "pilot" program for the PKs must have learned how to understand the way "Pilots" speak.

I think the reason that ourPilot and Velorek understood each other is as AerynSun stated, Pilot was not scared or nervous on his home world. Then when he was on Moya and realized exactly HOW he was going to take over for Ms.Pilot, he got scared and felt guilty because of her death (premature one at that).

I also think that rather than have to explain the translator microbes while Velorek was on PilotHomeWorld, they had them speak as "human" (like most of us do). I always imagined that Velorek learned the "pilot" language (hence him being able to explain to Aeryn about the language) and that's why he doesn't need microbes to translate.
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Return to Episodes