Question about episode Derka Returns

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Question about episode Derka Returns

Postby JackBauer on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 pm

Did we ever find out if Chiana killed Salis?
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Rygelfan on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:10 am

Not really. Crichton asks her at the end of the ep. and she gives him a look like "yeaah, I did" but the second he turns away, the expression changes. My take is that yes she did kill him but she was trying to let on that it wasn't bothering her as much as it was. But, it is sheer spaculation, as she neither confirms nor denies doing it. But I think that looks says volumes.
You have the right to the remains of a silent attourney. If you cannot afford one, tough noogies! You have the right to a phone call, I recommend Trixie 976555love. Do you understand these rights? Well do you punk?
Rygelfan
Delvian Pa'u

Re: Question about episode Derka Returns

Postby Firecracker on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:03 pm

JackBauer wrote:Did we ever find out if Chiana killed Salis?

No we never found out. But I have my suspicions and they don't include Chiana.

The Scapecast (the only podcast dedicated to Farscape) featured an entire article based on the question, "Who Killed Salis?" and came to an interesting conclusion. (It wasn't Chiana and it wasn't Durka.) And it was very convincing.

If you want to check it out here is the link: Scapecast Episode 11. You are looking for the segment entitled "The Nebari Murder Mystery". :)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

My suspicions include Durka. Because after the explosion in which his mental clensing was broken, he didn't want to go back to the Nebari Prime where he would be clensed again.

I also would supectc that Chiana killed Salis because this was the only way of staying on Moya or scaping anywhere else and avoid mental clensing.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Rygelfan on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:54 pm

Wow...interesting Podcast. Only listened to that one section, but I can see her reasoning. Not totally sure I buy into it, but it makes sense. I don't know. I guess the only ones who know for positive are the writers. But I can see it.
You have the right to the remains of a silent attourney. If you cannot afford one, tough noogies! You have the right to a phone call, I recommend Trixie 976555love. Do you understand these rights? Well do you punk?
Rygelfan
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Firecracker on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:02 am

Rygelfan wrote:Wow...interesting Podcast. Only listened to that one section, but I can see her reasoning. Not totally sure I buy into it, but it makes sense. I don't know. I guess the only ones who know for positive are the writers. But I can see it.

I think the reasoning is quite well thought out and I don't see any flaws in the conclusion.

In fact the more I think about it, the more convinced I am. Durka is too easy - he would have claimed the kill when challenged just for the psychological impact - but he didn't .

Chiana didn't do it, because Salis' throat was cut and Chiana did not have a knife.

Everyone else is accounted for at the specific time of the murder.

There was only one character who had method, motive and opportunity.

Makes sense. :)

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby JackBauer on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:37 am

Its too bad the writers didnt think enough to tell us the conclusion later on in the series.
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:46 am

Are you sayung Firecracker that it is possible that for example Rygel killed salis?

He would have killed Durka. if not, who?

You said that Durka was a too easy choice, Chiana, didn't have a knife, the others had al allibi for the moment Salis was killed.

Zahhn, isn't able to kill somebody, John, not, Aeryn, not. But remember, that Durka admitted to have killed Salis when Aeryn and Rygel were his hostages. a,d when Aeryn was telling this to John he hit her.

No, it was clearly Durka who did it and helped Chiana to scape from her cell maybe thinking she would be his partner in that murder.

Maybe it will be revealed in the websodes if Chiana appears there.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:24 am

Zhaan is completely able to kill another. She already has. More than once ever.

Zhaan killed her lover Biital for betraying her people into Peacekeeper subjugation.

Zhaan killed Maldis.

Zhaan would have killed Talleen if John hadn't prevented that particular kill.

Zhaan is proud of the fact that she is the leading ancharist of her world.

Zhaan carried pulse rifles in many episodes and proved she knew how to use them.

Zhaan concocted the explosive material that destroyed the Gammack Base in "Family Ties" killing untold numbers of Peacekeepers.

Zhaan is absolutely able to kill. She has a dark side, with which she struggled.

It took Zhaan (and Crichton) a very long time to realise what Noranti told us (as well as the audience of "Alien Visitation") in Season 4.

Noranti: See - killing is often a part of life. What's hypocritical is to condemn and then make allowances when the situation suits.
Bobby: So... it's okay to kill?
Noranti: Absolutely. Sometimes you must.

That is the lesson that took Zhaan so long to learn - and why we never found out who killed Salis. Because by the time Zhaan learnt that lesson - it was past the time for us to know.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:21 am

but that is not to say that it was her who killed Salis. We all know all the crimes that Zahn comitted. We all know that the explosive for the Gammak Base saved their lives and we all know that killing Maldis saved John.

But as I've said, that although Noranti said that soemtimes killings is justified, Zahn was not Noranti, fortunately.

Zahn is innocewnt. I say it was Durka. To me is the only guilty one. Maybe with the help of Chiana. let's say that Durka helped Chiana to scape her cell and Durka after the mental clensing was broken, knoweing what was waiting for him when they arrive to the Nebari Prime, decided to kill Salis.

So salis had all the reasons in the world for kiling Salis.

So he confessed to Aeryn at the Comman deck when Aeryn and Rygel were taken hostages by him.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 am

AERYNSUN wrote:but that is not to say that it was her who killed Salis. We all know all the crimes that Zahn comitted. We all know that the explosive for the Gammak Base saved their lives and we all know that killing Maldis saved John.

But as I've said, that although Noranti said that soemtimes killings is justified, Zahn was not Noranti, fortunately.

Unfortunately. Because at her worst - Zhaan was a hypocrite.

Zahn is innocewnt. I say it was Durka. To me is the only guilty one. Maybe with the help of Chiana. let's say that Durka helped Chiana to scape her cell and Durka after the mental clensing was broken, knoweing what was waiting for him when they arrive to the Nebari Prime, decided to kill Salis.

So salis had all the reasons in the world for kiling Salis.

Salis had all the reason in the world for committing suicide? Ok. That is one solution that I hadn't considered.

So he confessed to Aeryn at the Comman deck when Aeryn and Rygel were taken hostages by him.

Ah. But he didn't confess. He did not. Go back and rewatch. Durka didn't deny it.... but he didn't confess. Which he would have done if he had committed the murder - since he needed the psychological lever to terrorise Moya's crew.

It wasn't Durka.

However you are entitled to your opinion - just as I am to mine.

I just prefer that Zhaan be a fully developed character with warts and all rather than a one-dimensional saint whose character arc was completed long before the end of season one - with the end result that the writers had to fall back on a guest character to provide drama and tension because there was none left in the main cast.

Fortunately Farscape writers were not that foolish.

They always made their characters complex, shaded and sometimes deeply flawed. And very very interesting.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Return to Episodes