Question about Prayer

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Question about Prayer

Postby Chocolate on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Just re-watched Prayer and this really bothered me -
The Scarran is interrogating Aeryn regarding the father of her child, and she's trying to hide the truth from him at all cost. Only, I thought she didn't KNOW who the father of the child was at all!
All of a sudden she's giving only three names as possible fathers, one of them is Velorek and the other she made up!
If she knew all along it was Crichton's child, then why did she say she's uncertain who the father was? Am I missing something?
And if she trully didn't know who the father was, why was she trying to hide it from the Scarrans? How can Scarran heat probe force her into answering a question she doesn't know the answer to?

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be very glad to hear it...

Thanks!
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Re: Question about Prayer

Postby Firecracker on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:58 pm

She didn't know who the father was. But she did know who she had had sex with in the past seven or so cycles (our Aeryn is a bit particular with her sexual partners) so choices were limited. Aeryn was trying to misdirect the Scarrans.

That is why she called herself "PK Tralk Girl" and why she made up whats-his-name from a distant planet. Trying to broaden the field of candidates.

Keeping the Scarrans focused on finding the paternity of her child was the best way of keeping them both alive. It was the only control that Aeryn had over the situation.

So... Velorek became a possibility. She made up whats-his-name - Lechna.

Aeryn only realised that the baby was John Crichton's when the Scarrans let her know that he was the single possiblity - when they told her that they were unable to identify the baby's DNA.

Vreena: That's a long way from here. Perhaps that's why the DNA isn't in our database.

Velorek's DNA would have been in their database.

Which meant the baby's father could only have been John Crichton.

Even then Aeryn kept resisting. Kept trying to misdirect. She only admitted who the father was when she had been tortured beyond her breaking point and she couldn't resist any longer.

But even Scarrans know that information provided under torture is not reliable, so they sent Morrock to get the final confirmation. And Aeryn killed her.

Aeryn was still fighting. Still resisting the interrogation - altho the method had changed. Aeryn couldn't fight the drugs anymore. She couldn't fight the heat probe, but she could leave that little element of doubt in their minds. Maybe it wasn't John Crichton's baby after all ... Still trying to keep the two of them alive.

Aeryn is one hell of a soldier.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Well, Vreena said that it could be possiy half human, so the possibilities are that Crichton is the father are increasing. And when Aerytn can not resist the drugs and Jeneck is reading her mind, they see that there was only Crichton, what confirms that John is the father of Aeryn's child.

Aeryn is disposed to die to protec both John and the baby. I think that from that moment, when they are in Katratzi and go on board the Comman carrier, Aeryn makes the DNA test to confirm the baby's fatherhood.

Aeryn is very brave in this peisode, and Claudia very convincing. I love that epi but I suffered watching it, for the three of them.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby littlejamie on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:46 am

I agree.

She doesn't know until they can't find the other half of the child's DNA. The only other species she has been with is crichton.

She is smart lying about how many partners she had. Keeping them ocuppied, giving herself more time and doing whatever necessary to protect the child. Along with giving Crichton more time to get to her.

Even still she made a point once and for all on Katratzi to find out the paternity and to have it released. After all what other opportunity would they have had to have the baby released.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Chocolate on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks, Firecracker, I never thought of it that way, that the Scarrans actually told her who the father was.

I guess that does explain the need to make up a story about someone else who was from a distant part of the galaxy so that his DNA would be considerably different.

I don't know, I still think it's weird that she describes so few people.
It's supposed to be her peacekeeper training - to have emotion-free sex as often as she'd like with as many people as she's like. She was a peacekeeper for most of her life. Do you think it's possible that the only person she'd recreated with as a peacekeeper was Velorek? I find it very hard to believe.
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:09 pm

Yes, that's right but sometimes you can not avoid having feelings or some sort of emotional feelings with the men you are having sex with. If you shouldn't have them, the emotional feelings, you have to hidden them deep inside you and that's when you seay and you may really belive you there's nothing between both of you but there really is. wit Velorek she had some kind of feelings, she cofessed that in The Way we Weren't to Crichton, We don't know with Lechna.

That's in my opinion why she points so few relationships, because the other were meaningless for her. Or maybe because it matches with the time of pregnancy.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Chocolate on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Yes, AERYNSUN, I agree with you about feelings- I believe it's very difficult to have completely meaningless sex. Almost always there is some kind of feeling. However, there are two important things to consider when it comes to Aeryn - first of all, she is not human and was raised in a very different emotional environment. The second thing is, you don't need to love someone or to feel anything for them at all in order to get pregnant by them.

The Scarrans only wanted to know who the father was, they never asked her anything about love.

And the whole thing about Sebacean pregnancies is that the fetus remains in stasis for up to seven cycles, which means the baby could have been conceived up to four cycles before Aeryn left the Peacekeepers.

I find it a bit odd that the only sexual partner she had during all that time was Velorek, as it was very brief and she resisted the emotions it stirred in her with a great deal of strength and intensity.
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:38 pm

I agree, but remember that the scarrans purpose at first to capture Aeryn was to make John go and rescue her so that they could capture him because of his wormhole knowledge, everyone in the galasy want his knowledge. Scorpius was forst, however.

But fortunately for the Scarrans they find out that Aeryn is pregnant. HOW WELL!!, they don't need John, they have the baby which they assume is John's, and that's the answer they are looking for, bacuse they know Aeryn's relationship with John. And as Scarrans can read people's minds, they find oput that who Aeryn really loves is John, not Velorek or Lechnar or anybody else. So they naturally assume the baby is his.

2. I was not sayin that Aeryn had only one relationship, I0m sure she had several ones, but with Velorek she was about 5 years before meeting the Scarrans ans, Lechnar, was later and John was 4 cycles ago. So if a sebacean woman can keep a baby in stasis for 7 cycles, it's easy to make the counting.

But I agree with ypu that you don't need to love someone to get pregnant, not even a male.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:00 pm

[quote="AERYNSUN"]I agree, but remember that the scarrans purpose at first to capture Aeryn was to make John go and rescue her so that they could capture him because of his wormhole knowledge, everyone in the galasy want his knowledge. Scorpius was forst, however.
[/quote]

Actually the Scarrans purpose at first was to capture Grayza. Aeryn was kinda the booby prize.

So while the Scarrans did want John he wasn't top of the list for them. They had only once tried half-heartedly to capture him. They didn't set out to capture Aeryn with the idea that John would try to save her.

In fact I don't think they thought it very likely that John would risk trying to save Aeryn since they don't know how John Crichton thinks or what his values are.

They do know about Peacekeepers. And Peacekeepers do not have long-term emotional relationships and they do not have families. So John's biological child would (as far as they knew) not be something he would be interested in reclaiming. Or Aeryn saving.

[quote]But fortunately for the Scarrans they find out that Aeryn is pregnant. HOW WELL!!, they don't need John, they have the baby which they assume is John's, and that's the answer they are looking for, bacuse they know Aeryn's relationship with John. And as Scarrans can read people's minds, they find oput that who Aeryn really loves is John, not Velorek or Lechnar or anybody else. So they naturally assume the baby is his.[/quote]

The Scarrans don't assume anything. And they only suspect that Aeryn and John had sex. (I doubt that they would have received any confirmation on that matter from anyone.)

Plus - Scarrans don't care who Aeryn loves. They only care who Aeryn had sex with.

The fetal DNA does not match anything the Scarrans have in their database. They have very extensive DNA databases. but they are not stupid. They are prepared to consider the fact that perhaps their database is not complete.

So while they think that John MIGHT be the father but they are also prepared to consider the fact that their are other options.

Aeryn knows this - and as a soldier she uses her knowledge to prepare her defense.

They interrogated Aeryn with the heat probe (pain), drugs (hallucinations), mind probes and trickery. And they still are not sure that the child is John Crichton's.

As a Peacekeeper Aeryn was trained to resist interrogation. All kinds of interrogation. The moment Aeryn was captured she began to resist as best she could. Her only advantage was the fact that the Scarrans wanted her to confirm that the father of her child was John.

That was the only weapon she had - her knowledge. And so she made up Lechna, identified Velorek, and diminished John's role in her life as a diversion.

[quote]2. I was not sayin that Aeryn had only one relationship, I0m sure she had several ones, but with Velorek she was about 5 years before meeting the Scarrans ans, Lechnar, was later and John was 4 cycles ago. So if a sebacean woman can keep a baby in stasis for 7 cycles, it's easy to make the counting.[/quote]

Lechna didn't exist. So ... yeah. No Lechna. (Although we could go deep into psychololgical analysis of torture and traumatic bonding and point out that Lechna was actually Jeneck - but that would take waaaay to long.)

I don't think that Aeryn was particularily free with her favours. I think that Velorek was her one male sex partner before Crichton in the past several years.

That is why Aeryn made up Lechna. Because if she had had another 'real' candidate believe me she would have talked about him.

All the Scarrans wanted to know was who Aeryn had sex with and they didn't care about anyone who wasn't Crichton. So if Aeryn had other diversions (other male partners) - she would have given their names/images to the Scarrans to 'muddy the waters' as much as possible.

Aeryn was trying to buy time and keep herself and her child alive. More names = more time. She didn't have anymore names so she made up Lechna.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Firecracker on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 pm

[quote="Chocolate"]I don't know, I still think it's weird that she describes so few people.

It's supposed to be her peacekeeper training - to have emotion-free sex as often as she'd like with as many people as she's like. She was a peacekeeper for most of her life. Do you think it's possible that the only person she'd recreated with as a peacekeeper was Velorek? I find it very hard to believe.[/quote]

Aeryn's encounter with Velorek took place three cycles before Aeryn was declared irreversibly contaminated and ended up on Moya.

It was a very traumatic experience.

Relationships with others - whether it be sexual or just friendly - require a certain amount of trust. I don't think Aeryn was prepared to trust anyone for a long time after that. Maybe Henta. But that would be it.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby littlejamie on Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:56 am

Exactly. She didn't really trust anyone on Moya until at least the begining of the second half of the season.

I also think Velorek was the last person she was with before getting onto Moya.

She is trained to resist which is does well, however isn't able to hold out as long as she would normally because of the baby.

It really does show how much she doesn't want the Scarrens to hurt the child.

In the end it appears she is certain, after all she is the only one who knows who she has been with. Velorek was not a match.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Return to Episodes