Forshadowing

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Forshadowing

Postby littlejamie on Wed May 30, 2007 3:44 am

Awhile back I saw a topic about the ending of "The Locket" forshadowing the ending of "Bad Timing" with the crystals.

Lately I have been thinking about the episode "I-Yensch, You-Yensch" and what Aeryn says to John.
"We started this together crichton, that's how well end it"

To me it's saying she is with him on taking Scorpy down. Along with the writers in a subtle way saying that eventually that they will be getting back together, and that is how it is going to end. Which is how it has so far with Bad Timing/Pkwars. Which for me is how it should be.

Maybe I'm just over thinking things. however what else is there to do when your on a bus for a couple of hours listening to music and staring out the window and farscape pops into your head.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby AERYNSUN on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Well, concern ing to the eopisode I-Yensch You Yensh, what I understand from Aeryn words is that he is with him on that because she gave him ger word, remember the previous episode, Fractures, she see Moya John as the Copy, and it's very hard for her to see another John. Imagine that a beloved one is dead and you see the !tein!. I'ts shocking.

I understand that she doesn't want to elt go John alone to the Comand carrier and going with him for her it's a way of protecting him, because deep inside her she knows that he is also her John.

About the end of The Locket and Bad Timing, I don't see anything is common. In the locket it's the feeling that they both have that something stranger happened to them, but they don't really know what and in Bad Timing, it was a weapon what crystalized them, I mean killed them.

That's how I see it. I hope my opinion is useful to you.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:07 pm

There are two things going on with LittleJamies foreshadowing. Aeryn's POV and what the writers are subtextually telling the viewers.

Farscape was famous for that kind of layering.

Aeryn was not in an emotional state to be remotely committing to MoyaJohn. She was a mess. So - actually - was John. His obsession with wormholes mirrored Scorpy's. Aeryn was willing to stop Scorpy from realising his obsession, but John's obsession was equally dangerous (once that genii is out of the bottle etc.) and if she stopped one, she would have to stop the other.

That was why when she and John are sitting in the alcove on Moya with the stars behind them at the end of Wolf in Sheeps Clothing (a very significant image) Aeryn comes to the decision that she must leave.

John is staring off to the distance writing wormhole (!) equations on his arms, and the brightest star in the sky - the Aeryn Star - is no longer positioned between them as in Green Eyed Monster. The Aeryn Star is off to the right of the screen and only on Aeryn's side of the sky.

[img]http://fei.farscape-one.de/images/FS321-0300_jpg.jpg[/img]

TV is a visual medium and Farscape knows how to tell the story without overloading it with dialogue.

Plus, that is a nice bit of foreshadowing for season 4 - where John lost his guiding star and he is literally as well as figuretively adrift in the universe.

However, from a writers perspective.... they are more than sophisticated enough to have Aeryn says those words that way, in an attempt to foreshadow the two of them coming together eventually.

[quote="AERYNSUN"]About the end of The Locket and Bad Timing, I don't see anything is common. In the locket it's the feeling that they both have that something stranger happened to them, but they don't really know what and in Bad Timing, it was a weapon what crystalized them, I mean killed them.[/quote]

Agreed, there is very little in common in the episodes, however I don't believe that is what LittleJamie is saying.

The common thread occurs in the very last scene of "The Locket".

Aeryn finally pries open her locket and out pours shiny crystals which is all that is left of the image of her one true love - John.

Shiny crystals that look very like the crystals they both turn into at the end of Bad Timing.

That is the foreshadowing that LittleJamie means (I think).

I don't think it was planned by the writers ahead of time, but these people were very aware of their own history and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the props people went "Ah Ha!" and used the same crystals in order to reverse engineer foreshadowing for "Bad Timing" into "The Locket".

Even if they didn't - that is how it looks - to me anyway.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby littlejamie on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:56 am

Yes that is what I mean. The ending of the episodes where the crystals look similar.

John is being obsesses with wormholes. However what else does he have left at that point with Aeryn being cold/distant with him. They are his way home. It's also way better if he solves them before Scorpy does, from what he has learned from the other John.

Aeryn does give her word to him that she will go and help him. I agree she wants to protect him after all he is in a way her John. The last things she needs to see is him die from wormholes as well. She wants to make sure he gets off the command carrier alive. Even at that point she sees a distinction he is still the man she fell in love with long ago.

I also agree with it being a good empathis at the end of wolf in sheep's clothing that the 'Aeryn star is on only Aeryn's side. John is adrift moving aimlessly without his guiding star in season four. That is until the end of twice shy at least I think so. Of course they get torn apart again , but definately by the end of Fetal Attraction he has his guiding star back and so does she.

Of course he still is a wreck emotionally but for different reasons. The fact that he knows what he is fully capable of doing to the universe, now that he has solved wormholes completely. Having is guiding star back helps ease the pain abit knowing he is not alone.

They do word it in a way that will show that they will be back together. however not in so many words.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Return to Episodes