Star Wars theme in LATP?

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Star Wars theme in LATP?

Postby Chocolate on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:40 pm

I've recently re-watched the middle part of the LATP trilogy, I Do, I Think, and I found a LOT of Star Wars references in it. There are many Star Wars references throughout the entire show, of course, but in this episode there are so many!

There's that bomb, that John says "Obi-One had one, but his was a lot smaller", when they enter the Jekench ship John says, "That's an interesting smell" (When they fell into that dumpster thing Han Solo yells at Princess Leia, "What an interesting smell you've discovered!"), there's the whole casting him in metal to turn him into a statue, when Chiana says, "I love you" and John says "I know".

These are just a few that spring to my mind right now, but I'm sure there are many more.

Can anyone think of any more Star Wars references from that ep (or the trilogy) which I've missed?

And was it ever mentioned by the writers or something as a deliberate thing?
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Re: Star Wars theme in LATP?

Postby Firecracker on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:47 am

Chocolate wrote:there's the whole casting him in metal to turn him into a statue, when Chiana says, "I love you" and John says "I know".

Not just the line - which Han said to Leia right before he was carbonised, but Crichton's statufied face was a homage to Han's carbonised face in "The Empire Strikes Back".

Any other Star Wars references you see?

And was it ever mentioned by the writers or something as a deliberate thing?

Yes it was deliberate (at least the statuefied face homage was) - I think it was mentioned in an interview or a commentary sometime. :)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Rygelfan on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:32 am

When Crichton is "statue-fied" and Pip makes the I love you comment, Ben says in the commentary that he just sort of blurted out "I know" and that it then dawned on him that was a Haan Solo, but that in every take, he kept saying "I know" so they kept it.
You have the right to the remains of a silent attourney. If you cannot afford one, tough noogies! You have the right to a phone call, I recommend Trixie 976555love. Do you understand these rights? Well do you punk?
Rygelfan
Delvian Pa'u

Postby pushka on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Indeed, so many Star Wars references I was half expecting Scorpius to blurt out to John 'I am your father'! :D
Pushka the Cannon - Cannonade strikes again!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Semi-spoiler

Postby Easterner9504 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:54 am

Well,

in UNREALIZED REALITIES Wayne Pygram (if not Scorpy) was John's father at an alternate Earth.
Easterner9504
Delvian Pa'u

Re: Semi-spoiler

Postby Firecracker on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:10 am

Easterner9504 wrote:Well,

in UNREALIZED REALITIES Wayne Pygram (if not Scorpy) was John's father at an alternate Earth.

*snicker*

Very true!

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Rygelfan on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:27 am

That would have been insanely funny to see Scorpy-sue doing "John.....I am your father." Of course, Crichton would have to have to have done the immortal "no, thats not true, that's impossible!" lol
You have the right to the remains of a silent attourney. If you cannot afford one, tough noogies! You have the right to a phone call, I recommend Trixie 976555love. Do you understand these rights? Well do you punk?
Rygelfan
Delvian Pa'u

Postby pushka on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:41 pm

And Scorpy certainly would have had to hack off John's hand also! :D
Pushka the Cannon - Cannonade strikes again!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:37 pm

pushka wrote:And Scorpy certainly would have had to hack off John's hand also! :D

"My sex life. Kill my sex life."

Actually, on Unrealized Reality's that was Kent McCord in the Scorpy make up not Wayne Pygram.

In that reality all the human got modified with Scarren DNA, so they all looked like Scorpius without the cooling rods, cause their haklf human and not half Sabacien.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Firecracker on Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Ancient_Einstein wrote:
Actually, on Unrealized Reality's that was Kent McCord in the Scorpy make up not Wayne Pygram.

Actually it was Wayne Pygram - not Kent McCord. The writers were twisting our minds with the "what ifs" and "what was". Scorpy has been at least as big a formative influence on John as his Dad. The John who got shot through the wormhole in "Premiere" is not the John in Season Four - Scorpy had a huge influence on making John the man he became - which is what the writers were trying to tells us.

Ancient_Einstein wrote:
In that reality all the human got modified with Scarren DNA, so they all looked like Scorpius without the cooling rods, cause their haklf human and not half Sabacien.

That is correct - in that reality humans had been defeated by the Scarrans and had their DNA modified with Scarran DNA.

"You remember what we were like centuries before the Scarrans conquered us - weak genes, disease, death. I think our health and longevity outweigh some personal freedoms don't you son?"

The writers were doing a bunch of things here - a little bit of post-911 social commentary - but also setting up the conflict between John and his Dad (Kent McCord) in "Terra Firma" AND the choice that John must make in "Bad Timing".

Both the Peacekeepers and the Scarrans had tremendous scientific advancements to share with backwards earth but - as John said in "Bad Timing": "Earth is not ready."

Season Four was a beautifully crafted season and the key to events in the entire season (both before and after this episode) all pivot on "Unrealised Realities".

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanky for the info. Could've sworn it was him. The two actors do have similar facial features, seen without make-up, so I guess the shirt made me think Jack Critchon.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Firecracker on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 am

Ancient_Einstein wrote:Thanky for the info. Could've sworn it was him. The two actors do have similar facial features, seen without make-up, so I guess the shirt made me think Jack Critchon.

Well you are right - it is Jack Crichton. Just played by Wayne Pygram instead of Kent McCord. :D

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Return to Episodes