What is your LEAST favorite episode of farscape

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:31 pm

sleeper wrote:
KaraS wrote:Coup By Clam, the story is rediculous and has enough plot holes to fly Moya through. The whole episode is only an excuse to get Crichton in a dress and I've never found men in drag particurlarly funny.

I did have a few good moments though. Rygel was at his most ruthless and scary dealing with the crooked doctor.

I agree totally. Seeing JC and D'Argo in drag was not funny to me.

I agree too. Though I actually thought the drag bit was a little, something about the overall tone of that episode just didn't seem Farscape to me.

Vitas Mortis and Taking the Stone, or even Pictur if you will or Home on the Remains may not have been the best of Farscape but they at least fit the tone of the series and kept the focus on the characters.

In Coup by Clam and to some extent on Lava's a Many Splendored Thing the whole episode was just a series of gags, with just enough plot to get from one gag to thge next and little or no focus on character, at least not to Farscape's usual standards. The gags themseleves were funny, though Coupe By Clam was a bit more gross out than humorous, but they weren't earned by a solidly written plot that expressed or developed something in the characters or that made emotional impact on the viewers.

What made the humour in Crackers Don't Matter and Out of Their Minds great was that they were all about the characters, their emotions and their motivations and we could connect to those moments.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Re: Bone To Be Wild had likable M'Lee

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:40 pm

Mreen wrote:well, Bone To Be Wild isnt my favorite ep .. but I quickly came to like poor Emily .. or M'Lee as the spelling was alienized for us. I always hoped we see more of her siphoning off body guards left and right before tracking down her homeworld and getting to give up canabalism for good.

It has flaws but I can't quite throw this ep in the bad columb. The "A" plot wasn't their best, true, and in fact seemed to unneccessarily kill the momentum between the stellar Hidden Memory and the outstanding Family Ties. On the other hand the scenes between Crais and Scorpius, and between Aeryn and Talyn are so great I find myself frequently rewatching the ep just for those scenes.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby pushka on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:24 pm

My least favourites were pretty much the ones in Season 4 on Earth - I thought they were too silly compared to the real, dark, deep storylines of the rest of the series.
Pushka the Cannon - Cannonade strikes again!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby Lesianda on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:22 pm

They all are great but my least favourite episode is "Eat Me"........no comment :)
Lesianda
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby bwilli18 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:45 pm

Ancient_Einstein wrote:
sleeper wrote:
KaraS wrote:Coup By Clam, the story is rediculous and has enough plot holes to fly Moya through. The whole episode is only an excuse to get Crichton in a dress and I've never found men in drag particurlarly funny.

I did have a few good moments though. Rygel was at his most ruthless and scary dealing with the crooked doctor.

I agree totally. Seeing JC and D'Argo in drag was not funny to me.

I agree too. Though I actually thought the drag bit was a little, something about the overall tone of that episode just didn't seem Farscape to me.

Vitas Mortis and Taking the Stone, or even Pictur if you will or Home on the Remains may not have been the best of Farscape but they at least fit the tone of the series and kept the focus on the characters.

In Coup by Clam and to some extent on Lava's a Many Splendored Thing the whole episode was just a series of gags, with just enough plot to get from one gag to thge next and little or no focus on character, at least not to Farscape's usual standards. The gags themseleves were funny, though Coupe By Clam was a bit more gross out than humorous, but they weren't earned by a solidly written plot that expressed or developed something in the characters or that made emotional impact on the viewers.

What made the humour in Crackers Don't Matter and Out of Their Minds great was that they were all about the characters, their emotions and their motivations and we could connect to those moments.

Okay, of course it was just an excuse to go from one gag to the next, but two of the gags are brilliant (though admittedly sophomoric to an extreme). Rygel bit the guy's nose off. By the 4th year we have gotten immune to Farscape's originality in comparison to the dren on tv. So, take a moment and ask: on how many shows would a main character bite the nose off of someone? Now that you've answered that and come up with Andy Sipowitz on NYPD Blue, maybe, ask yourself this: on how many shows would the romantic leading female fart audibly in leather pants?

That, my friends and fellow 'scapers, is genius! Genius I say!
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Postby Cattivo on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:50 am

Someone's actually defending CBC? Damn.

What has to be understood is that anything is forgivable if the plot makes sense and is entertaining.

Regardless though, there's no need to see Noranti take a piss.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:32 pm

Well, CBC did have it's moments. The look on everybody's face when they found out they were poisoned was good. Too bad it kinda went downhill from there. :wink:
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Firecracker on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:20 pm

I gotta defend Coup By Clam as well. It isn't my favourite episode (by a long shot) but it does have its moments.

First of all - We finally see some of John's reaction to the rape flashbacks he has when Ho'Ock is hitting on him.

Second - Chiana realising that there are lots of ways to be a revolutionary - you can change a society from within rather than violently from without.

Third: 'Jirl Power'!

Fourth: Aeryn and Sikozu initially beginning to bond as partners.

Fifth: - the absolutely hilarious scene when D'Argo and Noranti are linked and Noranti is expereiencing... extreme pleasure.

D'Argo trying to get some help from John and Aeryn was hilarious.

John: Whoa! Nono! Don't-don't come near me when you're feelin' like that!

Especially Aeryn's unhelpful advice: Come on D'Argo. Just fight it.

*snort*

Sixth: Not to mention that Scorpy was exceptionally helpful in this episode. Not just by helping them all counteract the effects of the clams (at considerable risk to his own life), but also by terminally dispatching Mekken who was threatening both Chiana and Mujombre.

There are plenty of better episodes in Farscape - but Coup by Clam isn't the worst.

John won't ever talk about his rape, but we do get to see it in subtext, and in this episode we see the ongoing story arc for Crichton's rape as well as Chiana's revolutionary aspirations addressed.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Cattivo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:57 am

Firecracker wrote:Second - Chiana realising that there are lots of ways to be a revolutionary - you can change a society from within rather than violently from without.

Unfortunately, that whole subplot was sabotaged by the poor makeup job. When the girl in drag doesn't look like a guy, but instead looks like a girl in drag, it sort of compromises the entire premise.

Firecracker wrote:Fifth: - the absolutely hilarious scene when D'Argo and Noranti are linked and Noranti is expereiencing... extreme pleasure.

I'm sorry, that scene was just ridiculous, embarassingly stupid, and a cheap attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:16 am

I have always found that when Farscape starts focusing on the gross - the shitting or the pissing or the farting or the bleeding or any other body fluids you can think of - that is when the audience should start looking for the heavy meaning that the gross is trying to balance.

In other words - when Farscape gets most gross, is also when it gets most philosophical.

And the audience should take that as the clue that something heavy is going down.

Cattivo wrote:
Firecracker wrote:Second - Chiana realising that there are lots of ways to be a revolutionary - you can change a society from within rather than violently from without.

Unfortunately, that whole subplot was sabotaged by the poor makeup job. When the girl in drag doesn't look like a guy, but instead looks like a girl in drag, it sort of compromises the entire premise.

The point wasn't about whether the girl in drag looked like a guy - the point was that a rebel can work from within the system to change the system. A somewhat revolutionary thought for Chiana.

Since this was Chiana's story - the rebellion against oppression - and the social commentary contained therein - it was a pointed story without being the slightest bit pretensious or anvilious.

Mujombre: Sure. Name change - new identity... (she pulls off the short wig she'd been wearing to reveal her natural shoulder-length tresses) I've done it before. I've got friends who'll help. I'll - probably wind up in an even better job.
Chiana: You're a frelling optimist.
Mujombre: Hard to be a revolutionary if you're not.

This is Chiana's story. Not Scorpy's or Crichtons or Aeryn's or D'Argo's or anyone else. Just Chiana - who needs to know that optimism is what she is lacking. (Considering Chi is still coping - badly - with her rape, that is a very important message for her to hear.)

Cattivo wrote:
Firecracker wrote:Fifth: - the absolutely hilarious scene when D'Argo and Noranti are linked and Noranti is expereiencing... extreme pleasure.

I'm sorry, that scene was just ridiculous, embarassingly stupid, and a cheap attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

For you. I thought it was hilarious. And I get to think exactly that.

I don't find it embarrassing to think that women have multiple orgasms or find it funny that D'Argo doesn't have the experience to deal with the ... sensory perceptions. Not to mention that John is also totally out of his depth at the idea.

I found it funny. But perhaps I am - indeed - one of those in the lowest common denominator that finds that social commentary on the battle between the sexes can be hilarious.

Or then again - perhaps I just see these things from a slightly wider perspective.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:17 pm

I did like alot of the gags individually, esecially the "jirl power" line. And I'm not even saying it's a bad episode. It's Farscape for frell's sake. The worst of Farscape is better than most of what's out there.

And I love Farscape when it does humor, gross out included. But where I saw the philosophical and character pointsin other such episodes, here they seemed to distracting from character and concept rather than develope it.

As a stand alone skit piece it has alot of great moments, but the whole a it lacked the depth and craft I've come to expect from Farscape. And as always I admire the willingness to experiment, that has made the serires as a whole so extraordinary.

Again, it is still vastly superior to most television or movie, then and now, but when looking for a least favorite Farscape episode I just find the flaws here a little harder to ingnore, but that's really just a testiment to the high quality of the show as a whole.

I think perhaps the problem I have here, is not that they did this so wrong, it's more that they've done others so much better.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby bwilli18 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 pm

Ancient_Einstein wrote:I did like alot of the gags individually, esecially the "jirl power" line. And I'm not even saying it's a bad episode. It's Farscape for frell's sake. The worst of Farscape is better than most of what's out there.

This captures my feelings exactly. I don't think Farscape ever appealed or attempted to appeal to the lowest common denominator as suggested in a previous post. And I don't think I failed to "understand" something that I "must understand" (as also suggested in a previous post) by thinking parts of this episode were entertaining. Certainly it is not one of the better episodes and may indeed be one of my least favorites, but it's still a decent episode in comparison to other shows; if it failis, it only fails in comparision to other Farscape episodes.

I reitereate that Aeryn farting in leather pants is genius. Not only that, it was beautiful--her pained expression was to the small screen what Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile was to canvas.

(Since mild irony does not often come across well in these electronic forms, let me hasten to add :wink: )

Peace and long live Moya!
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Postby Cattivo on Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:52 am

Firecracker wrote:In other words - when Farscape gets most gross, is also when it gets most philosophical.

And the audience should take that as the clue that something heavy is going down.

Something heavy and philosophical happened in CBC and pissing and orgasms signified that? Was I watching a different episode? There's nothing significant about a shock story with no plot or entertainment value. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention in grad school, and never gained the ability to interpret art, literature, and film. Then again, I didn't find the "Piss Christ" piece qualifiable as art ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ ), so I guess it's understandable that I don't find films of aliens taking a piss as having a profound existential statement about the human condition.

Firecdracker wrote:The point wasn't about whether the girl in drag looked like a guy - the point was that a rebel can work from within the system to change the system. A somewhat revolutionary thought for Chiana.

Obviously, but, once again, the message is compromised and becomes insignificant when the underlying concept is flawed because of a foolish makeup mistake.

And believe me, Chiana is my favorite character, you don't need to lecture me about her story.

Firecracker wrote:I thought it was hilarious. And I get to think exactly that.

Yes, you do. But you are in the minority.

Firecracker wrote:I don't find it embarrassing to think that women have multiple orgasms or find it funny that D'Argo doesn't have the experience to deal with the ... sensory perceptions. Not to mention that John is also totally out of his depth at the idea.

Good for you, but if the act doesn't add anything important or entertaining to the storyline and instead repulses most of the viewership, then it's outlandish and it's only in there for shock value. Piss and orgasms are not entertaining. Is that such a crazy statement? There are certain standards in mainstream society that should be respected. If you don't like that, I'm sure there's a subculture out there that caters to such a supposedly intellectual or avant-garde artform.

Firecracker wrote:Or then again - perhaps I just see these things from a slightly wider perspective.

Oh, I see, because I agree with most people that CBC was a gross and stupid episode I'm therefore narrow-minded? There's no need for insults. We're just on a messageboard discussing what is widely accepted as one of the worst episodes of Farscape. Trying to condescend from an ivory tower about other people's mainstream opinions isn't necessary, and is the definition of being narrow-minded itself.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch South Park - a show that uses shock value, not just for the sake of it, but to reinforce its plot with substantive messages, unlike CBC.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby bwilli18 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:34 am

Whoa momma! We're all friends here. A problem with the virtual community is that general observations can be taken as insults really quickly when you don't have inflection and body language to read. Some of the things Cattivo said could be taken to be a bit condescending and even insulting if one wanted to take them that way. I choose to believe that Cattivo does not really mean that anyone who found anything redeeming in CBC is a part of the "lowest common denominator" though if one wanted one could find that post by Cattivo a bit insulting. Though tempting, it's best not to get defensive in these give and take situations.

I think I'll take a healthy breather from the forum for a while and go enjoy my Farscape DVDs, including CBC, one of my least favorite episodes, unencumbered by the concern that to enjoy it may forever mark me as a bit juvenile.

Cattivo? Firecracker? Remember we love this show, even when we disagree about it. When you feel misused by your fellow scapers, always ask, "What would John do?"
:wink: Peace, out!
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Postby sleeper on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Hey I think that I, ET is one of the better episodes, so if somebody likes CBC alot, it's ok. :twisted:
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

PreviousNext

Return to Episodes