Why The #3?

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Why The #3?

Postby littlejamie on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:33 pm

Everytime I watch the Peacekeeper Wars, I can't help but notice the emphasis on the number 3 with the J/A relationship in the Mini-series.

I can't seem to figure out why they put alot of emphasis on it, such as with these moments:

John: "They say three's the magic number"
Aeryn: "Three's a scary number"
It takes three attempts for them to get married.
On the third attempt at getting married, it takes Stark three tries to get the ceremony/words right.
Finally at the end Aeryn mentions how she no longer sees three as a scary number.

Are they just going by the statement "Three's the charm"?.

I"d appreciate your help.

Any thoughts?.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby stlscape on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Since John grew up in a family of three children, I always thought this meant that he wanted a three-child family and that Aeryn wasn't positive she wanted to be pregnant three times and have three wee-itty-bitty-more-helpless-than-John-when-he-arrived-in-the-Uncharted-Territories beings dependent on her.
stlscape
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Fax on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:06 pm

Doesn't it seem a bit off that rygel carried their baby? :lol:
Fax
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby littlejamie on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:12 pm

It does seem right about wanting three kids. Considering his parents had three.

Yeah it was off that Rygel carried their baby. Of course there had to be some sort of twist of fate frelling with them. I find it hilarious though and smart that David and Rockne did that. It gave Rygel a big part and made him even though he would never admit to it more caring in a way. Along with of all people Crichton would have to protect in a middle of a war Rygel. Aeryn is a given, he loves her beyond hope.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Chocolate on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Um, this may be pushing it, but 3 is considered a very spiritual number, in many New-Age beliefs as well as Judaism and Christianity, I don't know about Islam but it's possible as well (If anyone here knows, I'd love to know).
I think I remember vaguly Ben Browder saying something about spirituality in Farscape, and mentioning the fact that Crichton's initials are JC (jesus Christ) for a reason.
It's also a sort of "magic number" in lots of folk tales (things happen three times with slight variations, the third time being the chram, or sentences repeated three times with slight variations - Three Little Pigs, Goldy-locks and the Three bears, Cinderella's foot being the third in the house to try the slipper, the little mermaid has three days to win her love, and these are really off the top of my head. There are many, many, MANY more). There are probably more examples of it within Farscape itself, I just can't seem to think of any right now, apart from Aeryn's baby leaving her body (first attempt by the Scarrans, second by the eidolons, third by actually giving birth).
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Re: Why The #3?

Postby Firecracker on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:30 am

littlejamie wrote:Everytime I watch the Peacekeeper Wars, I can't help but notice the emphasis on the number 3 with the J/A relationship in the Mini-series.

I can't seem to figure out why they put alot of emphasis on it, such as with these moments:

John: "They say three's the magic number"
Aeryn: "Three's a scary number"
It takes three attempts for them to get married.
On the third attempt at getting married, it takes Stark three tries to get the ceremony/words right.
Finally at the end Aeryn mentions how she no longer sees three as a scary number.

Are they just going by the statement "Three's the charm"?.

I"d appreciate your help.

Any thoughts?.

It could also symbolise family. Mom, Dad and Baby D.

Family is still a scary concept for Aeryn and she could be alluding to that.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby TINemo on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:17 am

I've always thought John was hoping for three kids--because he says the *three is the magic number* after Aeryn says she can't imagine why any woman would go thru pregnancy more than once.

In real life Ben has two children, a boy and a girl. Maybe he would have liked to have a third--maybe not. Now after PKwars and Sg1, Claudia has one son. I wonder how she feels about the number three.
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars