Highest Ratings in Sci Fi Net History, So Why Not Say So?

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Frelling Scrub on Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:21 pm

I don't know all of the politics involved in the repressing of Farscape - in fact just thinking about it enfuriates me. I just wanna line up every dumb suit that has had a hand in keeping Farscape off the air against a wall, tell them to spread their legs and kick all of them right up their mivonks!!!
Frelling Scrub
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Flake on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:02 am

cyberman wrote:I guess technically if you broke the mini down into 1 hour portions (for regular broadcasting) you could say the series is at 92 episodes.

Frelling Scrub wrote:I don't know all of the politics involved in the repressing of Farscape - in fact just thinking about it enfuriates me. I just wanna line up every dumb suit that has had a hand in keeping Farscape off the air against a wall, tell them to spread their legs and kick all of them right up their mivonks!!!

Cyberman, I like your thinking, 92 episodes for continues broadcasting. \:D/ =D> \:D/
Frelling Scrub, I know hundreds of fans that would gladly join you in a good old fashion mivonks crushing. :twisted: :twisted:
Rygel: We need to blend in.
John: Blend in? Hell when we got here the clock stopped. We couldn't blend in on Butt-Ugly night.
Flake
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Jerimiah Crichton on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:15 am

I`ll lend some steel toed boots to the mivonks affair! :D

Someone out there has to see this show for what it is worth and get it back on the air in some form!!! Look at the WB...there has been talk as of late that they are really trying to get Angel back on the air...they even admitted that they made a mistake in cancelling it...so why can`t sci-fi do the same!
Be nice...
"Crackers don`t matter!"- Astronaut John Crichton
Jerimiah Crichton
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby aeryn-rules on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:37 am

it's early yet, they may come around.
aeryn-rules
Luxan Warrior

Postby Jerimiah Crichton on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:43 am

Trus... tis very early still... but they seem to be very stubborn and in love with Stargate to go back on their decision. But who knows... this may be the catalyst that begins the whole saga over again.
"Crackers don`t matter!"- Astronaut John Crichton
Jerimiah Crichton
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby greg donovan on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:08 am

Fracture wrote:Actually they don't need the syndication. The farscape series as we know it has ended. The story resolved enough to allow for a whole new direction and they could shop it around as that.

syndication would be nice because then they could air past eps on other channels in a regular timeslot when people actually watch tv.
greg donovan
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Europa1000 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:19 pm

Thank you Gothix! I was born the year the original Star Trek first aired (Ooooo giving away my age there :)) but I have two older brothers who were 10 and 11 years old at the time. They were/are extreme science fiction fans and the main reason why I’m one. I grew up wwith them "forcing" me :) to watch Star Trek re-runs and Night Gallery, and Space 1999. "Force" soon became a geniune love of the genre. I can remember those days in the early to mid ‘70s and all the letters they wrote and prowling around comic book shops in Berkeley with them while they discussed the latest with fellow Trekies. I also remember the massive fan campaign to get the first Space Shuttle named Enterprise. And no one was more excited then me when it was announced that Star Trek was coming back with the original cast and to the big screen no less! I knew how hard my brothers and their friends had worked. So, yeah, thanks Gothix for setting some things straight for, TNG. :roll: :wink:
Europa.

Claudia: It (kissing) is a weird way to make a living, ... don’t you think?
Ben: (Silent)
Claudia: When Andrew Prowse says, "… we actually need to see you touching tongues on camera …" that’s a weird way to make a living. It is.
Ben: (Still silent)
Claudia: No?
Ben: There are certain jobs that have perks, and ... :lol:
-Ben Browder and Claudia Black at Farscape Con 2004.

"'Farscape, it's different from the waist down ...'"
"That's a good ad campaign for you Thomas! :lol:"
-Ben Browder to Sci-Fi's Thomas Vitale at Comic-Con, July 2004.
Europa1000
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Europa1000 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:22 pm

Fracture wrote:That's the one thign that really makes less and less sense to me about The Sci-Fi channel.

Just one thing? :o
Most of us have laundry list. :roll:
Europa.

Claudia: When Andrew Prowse says, "… we actually need to see you touching tongues on camera …" that’s a weird way to make a living. It is.

Europa1000
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Europa1000 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:28 pm

icedrake8 wrote:Another aside.......its funny how I think of other stuff as Im typing lol. Whatever happened to Crusade? I was really enjoying the eps I saw of that, but there were only like 10 eps ever made or soemthing.......another Farscape Incident?

I don't know if any one has answered your Crusade question yet but basically what happen is;

You have to know the Babylon 5 situation to understand what happen to Crusade. B5 was distributed by Warner Bros. Dist. and shown in syndication mainly on UPN stations (go figure). Each year there was major drama behind the scenes as to whether it was going to come back or not. Some how, it managed to for four seasons. (The main cast even got a TV Guide cover, something Farscape hasn't been given [yet] and more then deserves.)

Then there was major, major drama towards the end of season four regarding a fifth season. JMS, the “Great Maker” and the show's creator, even filmed the series finale just in case they didn't get a fifth season so his story wouldn't be left hanging (ala Farscape's "Bad Timing"). Then TPTB with the money okay'd a fifth season but by then two major changes were in effect; the female lead, Claudia Christian, was out and the show was going to move to TNT. (This move from broadcast network syndication to cable btw, is what caused me to order cable and thus eventually find Farscape - but I digress.)

Long story short, season five was not as good creatively (Tracy Scoggins as the new female lead was horrible) but the ratings were pretty good so TNT ordered up Crusade. (I'm over simplifying the politics of the situation but you understand.) Unfortunately, Crusade started airing during basketball season. Basketball was more important to TNT then science fiction (but they “know drama.” Yeah, right). So it seems almost every week, Crusade either got pre-empted, pushed back, or scrapped altogether in favor of showing basketball. Then TNT announced that since the ratings were so low they weren’t going to order more episodes of Crusade past episode 13.
Sci Fi fans screwed, again.
So that’s what happen to Crusade.
Europa.

Europa1000
Delvian Pa'u

Postby icedrake8 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:40 pm

damn that REALLY sucks.......sounds like TNT is even more of a collection of bastards than SciFi!

anyways...I say we use boots like the Nazgul from LoTR had.....nice LONG steel spikes on the toes 8)

but onwards. thanks for answering that question for me....and btw you were the first to answer.

one of the things which makes no sense for me is that SciFi knows how well Farscape does.......and does nothing in terms of syndication at all.

To look at it another way, SG1 (sucky show) gets a full night (Monday night) for old eps. Andromeda (good show first season, then sucky show) gets Tuesday night. Wednesday night is a premiere night for their crappy "reality/scifi" shows. Friday night is new Andromeda/SG-1/etc.

So....Thursday night is open (there isnt anything on Thursday night but their cheap ass horror flicks). Why not give Thursday night to Farscape? Farscape CANT get lower ratings than those CA horror flicks.

Another quick question (I dont have the time to write another of my huge posts :) ) is, does Farscape have ANY friends at SciFi in the upper eschelons?
icedrake8
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby cyberman on Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:10 pm

You are correct. It does make no sense as to why Farscape has been given short shrift, relative to syndication. The only logical answer is that the management (i.e. the new president as was rumored in the last year) has a personal negative "bent" towards the series. To answer you question. Bonnie Hammer, one of their top leadership managers is a strong advocate for the series. I'm not sure if she is still with the company.
And the devil asked, "Be you angels?"
And we said, "Nay, we are but men. Rock On!"
cyberman
Delvian Pa'u

But is it over?

Postby msspurlock on Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:58 am

Yes, the "wormhole knowledge" storyline is wrapped up enough that if there were no more Farscape in the offing, it's by no means exhausted. Remember that the Scarrans were going to retrieve Crichton's wormhole knowledge from Fetal DNA. D'Argo Sun Crichton wasn't touched by "Einstein."

Would future Scarran leaders who hadn't witnessed the effects of a wormhole weapon be as reluctant to see them developed? We have H-Bomb explosions on film, along with their effects. Didn't stop us.

Still, I'd rather see them go elsewhere with it. And as for D-Argo...we didn't see him die, did we?

But if they had to wrap it up, they did it well.
msspurlock
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby gothix on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:02 am

Europa1000 wrote:Thank you Gothix! I was born the year the original Star Trek first aired (Ooooo giving away my age there :)) but I have two older brothers who were 10 and 11 years old at the time. They were/are extreme science fiction fans and the main reason why I’m one. I grew up wwith them "forcing" me :) to watch Star Trek re-runs and Night Gallery, and Space 1999. "Force" soon became a geniune love of the genre. I can remember those days in the early to mid ‘70s and all the letters they wrote and prowling around comic book shops in Berkeley with them while they discussed the latest with fellow Trekies. I also remember the massive fan campaign to get the first Space Shuttle named Enterprise. And no one was more excited then me when it was announced that Star Trek was coming back with the original cast and to the big screen no less! I knew how hard my brothers and their friends had worked. So, yeah, thanks Gothix for setting some things straight for, TNG. :roll: :wink:

Thanks you! Good to hear from a first generation trekkie. Just goes to show how wide and diverse a fan base the original Star Trek had.(From 6 to 60 across all cultures.)
Talking about all the great programs from the early 70's, do you remember a little scifi-comedy called Quark? (Spoof about an intergalactic garbage scow and it's whacky crew.)
I really miss that little gem.
I look at today's offerings in telelvision/film and what we had going on back then and can't help but notice how sparce the landscape is today vs. yesteryear.(Seems we had a creative explosion in the late 60's through the mid 70's and lots of air time to show it off.)
Just a few of the great shows that I can think of at this moment:
Night Gallery
Night Stalker
ABC movie of the week( many of them dealt with science fiction/fantasy/horror etc..)
Space 1999( Was good visually if not the best story wise.)
There were many other programs/movies as well that escape my aging memory at this moment.(I recall that Gene Rodenberry got alot of pilots shot and aired in those years as well.)

If anyone else here can remember a favorite program from that time please chime in.

We do have the best today in regards to the quality program/movies but there seems to me to be much less of this and so much drek on today's landscape. Just look at SciFi's lineup. Stargate, Stargate, Stargate...
Oh, and a big serving of reality tv (sic...) as well.
If it wasn't for Farscape it would be a sad world indeed.(Gotta be the best Science Fiction program ever.)
gothix
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby thousandfold on Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:46 pm

Anyone know of an e-mail address we can e-mail SciFi at to tell them how much we loved PK Wars? The one I got off the website bounced, oddly enough.
'What do you despise? By this are you truly known.' -Dune, Frank Herbert
thousandfold
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby icedrake8 on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:30 pm

lol their box is probably full :lol: :lol: :lol:
icedrake8
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

PreviousNext

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars