Early on a cool August morning...

The amazing adventures of the Scoobies

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Emeraldcity

Individuality creeping in

Postby KaraS on Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:28 pm

First there was one IQ120. Then he turned the oven into a matter duplicator and cloned himself 9 times.

Then there were 10 IQ120s. They did everything together. They ate, slept, worked and played together. But inevatibly, little differences occurred. IQ#3 got that little scar on his hand, an accident cutting a ham sandwich. IQ#9 stubbe his little toe on the leg of the lab table and broke it. It's a little crooked now. But these wre small things.

Then IQ#1 ate magic fish tablets and his hair turned purple. And if that wasn't bad enough, he went off and got bitten by a werewolf. Now he no longer looked like the rest of the clones. But since he was the original he was entitled to a little individuality.

Now #7 is a cyborg with nanites in his blood stream. He's better, stronger, faster. He can jump tall buildings in a single bound (well, that little shed behind the soccer field where they store the sports equipment anyway).

One by one, the clones are becoming different. Can their relationship survive?
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

"Someone get Jila to bed,"

Postby Rivyn on Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:12 am

Rae orders, pushing a small flash into the woman's hand. "Hang in there, sister," she murmurs, smiling reassuringly. "I'll square everything away with the IQs. You focus on keeping everyone and everyTHING else out of your head for a few hours. You'll feel better."

"You sure? Something's wrong..."

"We'll square it away," Rae repeats more firmly, squeezing her shoulder. "You leave it to us."

Jila nods slowly and lets Chryse and Kay steer her from the kitchen as Rae heads towards the medical lab.

"Yo, IQs!" she calls, entering. "How's 7?"

"Still needs some minor tweaking," 3 answers with a shrug.

"Jila thinks he may reject his implants."

"No way!" 4 protests. "Come on, Rae. You know better than that. We are nothing if not good at what we do."

"Fair enough, but what you do is tinker with machines. 7 is not a machine..."

"But his upgrades are."

"Well, good for his upgrades." She shakes her head. "Now, I've got one very distressed apprentice out there. What am I supposed to tell her?"

"That there's nothing wrong with me. I just need time to adjust," 7 answers, entering the medical lab.

"I'll be the judge of that. Sit!" she orders, gesturing towards a bed and picking up a scanner. "Oh and, guys, I'll be wanting the rest of those nanites back now."

"What other nanites?" 9 asks innocently. He balks under the look Rae is giving him and quickly opens a cabinet, retrieving the surplus nanites.

"These things are for internal use only. Internal to humanoids, I might add. If you'd given them all to him, he'd have run a far lower chance of rejection."

The other IQs bow their heads.

"Now, there does look like there's some potential for rejection here, so I'm going to give him another dose. The rest will be safely locked away and out of your reach. You will monitor 7 daily for rejection potential and if he looks to be showing any, you send him straight to me. Are we understood?"

The other IQs nod slowly, knowing an unspoken threat when they hear one. They've worked closely enough with Rae in the past to know better than to cross her on this issue. Or any other, for that matter...

Nodding sharply, she turns on her heel and stalks from the lab, making a mental note to procure more of the nanites to tide 7 over the initial adjustment phase. Given enough time and nanites, he should be capable of accepting the implants without much difficulty.

After locking them safely away in her own personal lockbox (one that tends to react to attempts at tampering by exploding), she goes to reassure Jila.
Rivyn
Luxan Warrior

Location: Reality Land, unspecified Covert Op, indefinite assignment

Postby RagnarRB on Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:14 am

"her own personal lockbox..." Sounds like something for Kitten to look into.

From his guarding position by the door Crais glanced sideways as Ragnar silently filled the spot. "More nanites huh?"

"Yes."

"Aren't they illegal?"

"Yes."

"Expensive too?"

"Yes."

"Should I be worried about someone coming to repo them?"

The Mandroid was given pause. "I hadn't thought about that."

Ragnar shrugged. "This is Rae were talking about isn't it?'

"Yes...it is."

"That means it'as hard to say just HOW she came by them."

"True." Crais's eyes narrowed. Rae had been a bit evasive when he'd brought it up earlier.

"It wouldn't be the first time you or I have quietly cleaned up after her now would it?"

Crais turned to look at the viking with new interest. Just how much did he know? He and the other mandroids have been very carefull in cleaning up after Rae. Not that they ever intended for HER to find out either. She was very good at procuring stuff when the others were in trouble but not everyone in the galaxy was as gracious about having it procured!

Ragnar raised an eyebrow but said nothing else. He was sure Crais understood. They'd be keeping their eyes out and perhaps doing a little judicious checking of rae's back trail.
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Kara was making toast...

Postby KaraS on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:52 pm

when #7 walked into the kitchen.

"Feeling better?" Kara asked.

"Much." #7 said, helping himself to swig of soda straight from the bottle.

"So, exactly how new and improved are you now?" Kara asked. She scowled at him and he hurriedly put the soda bottl back in the fridge.

"I'm not sure." #7 said. "I haven't really tested everything out yet."

Kara looked at him. "Shall we go into the back yard and run a few tests?"

#7 gave it some thought. "Sure, why not?"

They went into the backyard together.

Meanwhile, the nanites that had migrated into the bottle of soda fed on the sugar and multiplied...
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby RagnarRB on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:20 am

Now that things had finally calmed down Ragnar decide it was time to raid the kitchen. Crais was running down a lead on the nanites, Kara was busy examining the new improved IQ, everyone was felling much better as a whole so that left...lunch!

Scratching his belly as he entered the kitchen he took a quick glance about, grabbed a loaf of bread, hit the fridge for some ham and cheese, grabbed 'THE' bottle of soda,(yes the one with the nanites) since it was already open and obviously the one to use, and proceeded to make a few simple sandwhiches. Pouring what was left in the soda bottle into a tall mug he took a sip, sat down and began to consume, liberal amounts of drink washing down the food.
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Sunny was holed up in her quarters....

Postby SunKrux on Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:21 am

after she left the others.

*What's the matter? Not afraid of nanites are you? Why'd you leave?* Rae asked

*Leave it Rae, just leave it.* Sunny responded quietly.

Sunny paced about her quarters a while. Midnight and Kimba watched as their two-legged friend paced, worried.

*What is troubling you friend?* the two ferrets asked

"Nothing, you two just stay out of this," Sunny cautioned.

*No need to be so rude to them. They are only worried about you.* Marguerite Muse added

"Would all of you just drop it. I'm fine. I just had to get out of there," Sunny said as she sank to the floor. Putting her head in her hands, pressing on her forehead like she was trying to force memories out of her mind.

*Sun, what is it? You know that the others won't...* Rae started

*The others won't what? Won't freak out if they know? You're wrong Rae, you are very wrong there my friend. They would freak out and want me to leave,* Sunny told her Sebacean pal

*Want to tell me about it?* Rivan cautiously asked

*Not really. Just do me a favor, make sure those nanites don't come any where near me.* Sunny asked, nearly demanding.

*Ok, duely noted. Anything else?* Rae asked, just as confused as ever when it comes to her pal Sun.

*Not at the moment. I'll be down later to check on #7 and Jila.* Sunny said, cutting off all contact as soon as she finished.

Jila looked at Rae, "Any luck finding out what's bothering Sunny?"

"Not a bit."
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Out on the lawn

Postby KaraS on Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:01 pm

Out on the lawn, Kara was watching #7 go through his paces. He could jump straight up about a storey and a half and his long jump was very impressive. He could run a tremendous speed and he could lift large boulders above his head without trouble.

A few minutes into the exercise, Kara noticed two other IQs watching from the sidelines and making notes on a clipboard.

Finally Kara said "Slow down there Steve Austin. You're still recovering. Let's not overdo on the first day."

"But I feel great!" #7 said. "I could go all day!"

On the sidelines, the other IQs looked concerned. One of them came over and took #7's blood pressure and temperature.

"Hmmm." he said. "Interesting readings. Very interesting."

Oh oh. What did that mean?
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

The things I do for my friends...

Postby Rivyn on Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:47 pm

Rivyn glanced down at her cell-phone when it started ringing, frowning at the number. Looking around the ballroom to make sure she was alone, she answered with a terse, "Go."

"About our... transaction," a distorted voice answered.

She sighed and nodded. "Cool your jets. You'll get your... merchandise."

"I had better, or certain... parties will find out where you now reside."

"You tell anyone anything, and it'll be the last word you speak that isn't a plea for death. You know who I was; you know I'm more than capable of making good on that."

There was silence on the line.

She smiled bitterly. "We understand each other, then. Good. I'll need another ten units by this time next week."

"That'll cost you."

"Why am I not surprised? You'll have what you need. Whatever else is true of me, I've never gone back on a bargain with you."

"No, you never have."

"So you give me what I need and I give you what you need and everyone's happy. Capiche?"

"You'll have your nanites."

"Good. And I'll have your... items sent to you. Just don't get smart and try to frell me. You remember what happened to the last black-marketeer who did tried that, don't you?"

"Hard sort of incident to forget."

"Which was the point. Rivyn out." Sighing, she hung up the cell-phone and tucked it back into her pocket. "The things I do for friends. Life was so much easier before I grew morals and principles..."

"Rae, you in here?"

Forcing an innocent expression onto her face, Rivyn started across the ballroom. "Right here, Jila. It isn't time for your lesson already, is it?"

"No. It's just that the IQs are testing out Seven's upgrades. I thought you might be interested."

"Everything going okay?"

"They seem to be, yeah." Jila nodded. "He can leap... well, small buildings with a single bound."

She smiled and nodded. "Impressive. Let's go see what else he's capable of. Want to make sure I get a good return on my investment after all."

Jila's smile faded marginally. "Rae, how much did those nanites cost you?"

"Not enough to make me think twice about procuring them." She shrugged and patted Jila's shoulder. "Don't worry, it wasn't anything too serious. After all, we both know that my soul became a non-negotiable asset years ago."

"Uh... right." Jila nodded slowly. "If you say so, Rae."

"I do," she assured Jila as they stepped out into the yard, just in time to see #7 do a series of not fewer than 10 backwards hand-springs. "Huh, not bad for a human."

Jila laughed softly, shaking her head. "I don't think he qualifies any more."

"No, I suppose he doesn't at that." She shrugged and walked over to where Kara and the other IQs were watching #7. "Kara, gentlemen. How is the patient?"
Rivyn
Luxan Warrior

Postby RagnarRB on Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:49 pm

Crais quietly closed the connection but not before putting a backtrace on it to find a location.

Rae,Rae,Rae, what have you gotten yourself into now?

Gulping down the last of the drink, Ragnar wondered out onto the lawn, well at least that was his intent...

"Feel like taking a ride?" Crais had silently walked up past the hedges, catching him as he exited.

"Found something already?"

The mandroid nodded.

Ragnar sighed, then nodded in return. "lead onward."

He hadn't felt quite this refreshed in a long time. Almost spunky!
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

#7 did a series of handsprings

Postby KaraS on Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:14 pm

Number 7 did a series of handsprings across the lawn ending with a tripple summersault in the air and landed with a flourish.

"TA DA!"

Everybody watching clapped.

"I give him a 9.5." #3 said.

"Ah, but will that beat the North Korean's score?" #5 asked.

"He could certainly give Paul Hamm a run for his money." Kara said. "What do you think Rae?"

"I think that people with nanites shouldn't compete in the Olympics." Rae said.

"You? Worried about rules?" Kara asked.

"Not really." Rae said. "But we wouldn't want the secret to get out, would we?"

Meanwhile, Jila had gone over to talk to #7.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I've never felt so alive." he said. "I'm getting a major rush from all this physical activity."

"Is it supposed to do that?" Jila asked. She took his wrist and felt his pulse, getting some of his sweat on her fingers.

The nanites in his sweat sunk into her skin.

"Well, your pulse is good." she said.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby JilaCosa on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:07 pm

Jila grinned and giggled as her eyes met Seven's.

"What is it?" He smiled broadly back.

"There must still be a residual effect to the magnets the other IQs used before your operation. I just felt an electric shock." Jila let go of Seven's arm and rubbed her hands together.

"You okay?"

"I'll be fine. Thanks." Jila rubbed her hands together one more time. She didn't know why, they didn't tingle or anything, it just felt like something she should do.

"So what else can you do?" Rae asked.
Still diagonally parked in a parallel universe
The FarScapeScoobyGang
JilaCosa
Delvian Pa'u

Postby RagnarRB on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:26 pm

He really couldn't explain why but he hadn't felt this good in days, maybe even longer. Even those little bangs and bruises from letting the ladies get the best of him seemed not to hurt anymore. It felt almost as if they never happened!

He even resisted the urge to wrinkle his lip as he watched the cockroach crawl across the floor and around the toe of his boot. He had changed from casual to street wear for this trip but Crais had failed to inform him that they were coming to this seedy a part of town. Not that he wasn't familiar with two bit hotels but this place made even them look decent!

He occupied a position where he could watch both the door and Crais's back. It seemed only wise with the plethera of unsavory characters and outright crooks and worse that roamed about. At least he knew why Crais wanted to bring the beat up old ford. Perfect for this kind of place.

Crais slid another bill across the counter, listened intently, growled something appropriate then moved back across what passed for a foyer. There was a poping crunch on his next to last step.

Ragnar glanced down. Guess it wasn't that cockroach's day after all.

"Well? Is this where our girl has been spending her free time?"

Crais looked a little surley, glanced back at the proprietor. Bared his teeth. The man's hand shrunk back from the phone.

My my, Ragnar mused. A grumpy mandroid. He would take that for a yes.

Crais shook his head. "Why she would feel the need to ever come to a dump like this is...is...By gods Ragnar Peacekeepers have standards!"

Ragnar shrugged. "And then there's Rae."

Crais glared.

"What? You think she could find these things growing on trees?"

Crais bit off, reluctantly, the retort he was about to make at Ragnar's implied insult. Cursed if the man wasn't right. Still.....

"At least she doesn't have a room here..."

"But she does!" Low key ,but intense.

It was Ragnar's turn to wrestle down a thought or two. Rae had a room in this dump? Glancing about it was a little hard to wrap the mind around. Still...Rae was pretty thourough in her way. It didn't make sense for her to be staying here so it had to be a cover. Rae was deffinately no street walker and had plenty of room at the mansion....

...he decided he better chop off this line of thought before it denegrated too far. The imagination is a wonderful thing if you don't let it get the best of you.

He turned back to Crais. No neither of them looked happy. "Did the call come from Rae's room?"

"No, two doors down."

"Lets check it out then."

Crais nodded, looked back at the clerk. "You know he's gonna call up as soon as we're out of sight."

Ragnar grinned. "Not unless he can yell real loud." He let the words hang a moment before adding. "His phones seem to be out of service. Problem in the junction box would be my guess."

So Ragnar HADN'T just been goofing off.

The big viking shrugged. idilly rubbing the small cut healing on his finger in momentarially memory. A small price to pay he supposed. What's a couple drops of blood when they were trying to help Rae out?

They headed up the stairs...room 321.

The small nanites in the blood drops still moved about doing their thing. They cared not that the blood they occupied was no longer in the man. They simply kept it viable replicated to their limits and waited to further their function.

A short while later, cockroaches found the blood and nanites very tasty...
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Hmmm....

Postby Kayde on Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:13 am

I wonder where they are headed so secretively, Kay thought, watching Ragnar and Crais dissapear, and then she turned her attention back on Seven and the group. It was quite impressive. Kay wondered what would happen if those nanites got into the wrong hands though.
Puppies....They eat, they sleep, they play, they pee, they poop and they make us smile...
Kayde
Delvian Pa'u

the 7-million credit-chip man

Postby Rivyn on Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:31 pm

"Looking good, Seven!" Rivyn called as he continued doing handsprings, flips, cartwheels, and otherwise generally putting Olympic-class athletes everywhere to shame. She spent some time clapping before walking to join the other IQs.

"It really is a shame that we can't enter him in the Olympics," Four remarked, shaking his head. "Seems like such a waste of all that talent."

"And money," she agreed, shrugging. "Doesn't matter. Even if it weren't for the risk of exposure, you know the Committee would get its knickers in a twist over 'performance-enhancing substances'." She rolled her eyes. "Besides, there's no money in athletics at that level. No, what Seven needs to do is get a job as a stunt-artist."

"I like it," IQ said, grinning and nodding.

"Thought you might." She patted his shoulder before moving to join Jila. "I'd say we're safely past the risk of rejection, wouldn't you?"

"Yeah," Jila agreed quietly.

Rivyn frowned. "What's wrong, Jila? You aren't still worried about Seven?"

"Oh, no." She shook her head. "Seven seems fine. I just... I can't shake the feeling that something, somewhere isn't right. Don't you feel it?"

She started to shake her head, then paused, closing her eyes and inhaling deeply. Jila was right. It was in the air, intangible. Something was subtly off. Not so much wrong as... different. Very, very different. It would bear careful examination to discover what this difference was, what its nature was, what it would mean for the Scoobs.

"Come on," she told Jila, grabbing her arm. "My room. About time you learned the ropes of Divination."
Rivyn
Luxan Warrior

Postby RagnarRB on Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:35 pm

Ragnar squated down on his haunchs, clasped his hands together before him. tilted his head, and watched with bemusement as the blood filtered down into the man's head.

Now, just so you know, this wasn't Ragnar's normal mode of operation, least wise where there might be witnesses, but Crais now, Crais was another story. It worked for our mighty Viking. He could live with it.

Crais shook the hapless man again. A few coins and nick knacks clattered to the floor.

"I don't know Crais, he looks kind of puny. You don't suppose he might pass out like the last guy do you?" He glanced up at the mandroid, standing off to one side of the flunkie he held upside down by one ankle. Amazing how much strength Rae designed into these things!

Crais scowed...."Does it really matter? I'll just knock his head a time or two into the pavement. He'll wake up." He bounced him in the air a couple times to emphasize the comment.

He started wimpering.

Ragnar glanced back up the alleyway. They might as well be in a different world back here in this maze that made up the neighborhood. He doubted gunfire would attract much attention. Maybe that was why the sleazy elements always seemed to gravitate to places like this.

This was their third stop.

The hotel room had proved a little less forthcoming than he'd hoped. It was empty save for a phone transfer machine, a table and a chair. Basically a safe house with a rerouter in it. Rae's room they had scanned from a distance without entering, hard to say what she might have done to watch over it. People who used too much tech seemed to forget that there was magic in the sci-fi world. That was a very dangerous point to overlook.

Ragnar suripiticiously left a couple survalliance devices of his own just to see what Rae was up to. Call it personal curiocity. The scan had shown a typical flophouse room with a few extras but you never know. It might be interesting to learn a little more. If she found them they wouldn't trace back to him or anyone else she knew of, even by magical means. Ragnar was a little more cautious than that. He really wanted to know how she hid the feathers that passed for her hair! She couldn't use a glamour all the time could she?

Any way, back to the point of this narrative. They had decided that this was still the best lead so they tweaked the router, found comfortable places to abide and waited for someone to come check on their flumaxed equipment.

They didn't have to wait too long. This router was popular.

That pair of poor unsuspecting lads led them to a bakery, and the bakery to this gentleman currently hanging upside down admiring Ragnar's smirk.

Honestly he hated being this direct, it was so very traceable when enough of the little guys went down it still made a splash. Crais however,assured him that the little shot he gave them would wipe their short term memory and thus our two intrepid heros from their minds. They'd have the information they wanted and the unfortunate ones a hangover and perhaps a pleasent memory or two.

"Are you ready to talk yet?"

His eyes were big but he started talking. If they kept at this long enough they'd get to a better part of town yet!
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

PreviousNext

Return to Scooby Adventures