Early on a cool August morning...

The amazing adventures of the Scoobies

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Emeraldcity

Like old times...

Postby Rivyn on Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:24 pm

"You enjoyed that, didn't you?" Crais asked Ragnar as they left the bakery through a side alley.

"What gives you that idea?" the Viking asked innocently.

"Oh, the fact that you so obviously do?" He smiled and raised an eyebrow, shaking his head. "You're more like my Riv than I would have credited the first time i met you."

"That sounded surprisingly like approval, there, Crais."

"Did it?" he asked innocently.

Ragnar snorted. "So, what about you?" he asked as they walked.

"Well, of course, I enjoyed it. Goes without saying, really. Rivyn wanted my core AI to be as close to the real thing as possible, after all." He shrugged. "This reminds me of the good old days."

"Good old days spent with Rae?" Ragnar pressed, wondering if this expansive mood would last. The mandroid did, after all, have all of Crais' memories, which meant a fairly solid idea of Rae's past.

"You know, I would tell you, but I like you too much." Crais smiled and shook his head. "Besides, you enjoy a challenge. Finding out what's really up with Riv definitely qualifies as one of those."

"Yeah," Ragnar muttered, shaking his head. "Okay, where are we headed?"

"Uptown, little Italian restaurant."

"Italian restaurant, huh? Wonder if that could possibly be a front for something else?"

"You think?" Crais laughed.

"Rae, what's wrong?" Jila asked as the other woman rifled her shelves for supplies. "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Just... It's my uplink. Crais must be out of range."

"He'd have to be awfully far away for the uplink not to work, wouldn't he? Did he say he was going anywhere?"

"No. Of course, I'm not my cousin's keeper, either." She shrugged. "Doesn't matter. If he gets into trouble, his emergency beacon will trip."

"Didn't know the mandroids had those."

"Oh, they didn't initially. I gave one to Crais once it became obvious exactly how much like the real Captain he was. He's as good at finding trouble as I am. Ah, here it is!" she added, holding up a black mirror. "Light the incense, will you?"

Jila nodded and rose. "What happens if his emergency beacon trips?" she asked as she lit the cubes.

"Oh, it'll automatically teleport me to his vicinity. Good across 3 lightyears and 8 dimensions."

"That doesn't sound like tech to me," Jila said quietly, settling down on the floor in the center of the attic bedroom.

"Oh it is. Mostly." Rivyn smiled slyly. "You know me, Jila. Why just mess around with one or the other when you can have both?"

"Crais never mentioned it."

"Oh, he doesn't know about it." She shrugged dismissively. "He'd have tried to pull it. I mean, the gods only know what he gets up to with some of his groupies. I don't and I don't want to, but he does like his privacy. Even from me sometimes."

"Oh." Jila nodded faintly. "So, if he were to get into any trouble..."

"I'd be teleported to his side in about three nanoseconds. Okay, let's get started."
Rivyn
Luxan Warrior

Location: Reality Land, unspecified Covert Op, indefinite assignment

Postby RagnarRB on Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:59 pm

Ragnar stood on the street corner and whistled.

Small Italian restaraunt my....!

"Now this friend Crais is more like it!" Enthusiam abounded.

Crais appraised 'it' once more, then Ragnar. Humans were almost insufferable at times, and judging by the gliter in Ragnar's eyes....he rolled his own.

"Come on, the guy we're looking for hangs out here everynight. He should be easy enough to find...." And he started towards the street.

Ragnar quickly grabbed his arm. "Woah there big fella, not so fast."

What Crais so benevilently called a small italian place was one of the trendiest clubs in town! Sure there was a restaraunt...a formal one compleate with complimentary bouncer outside!

"We cann't just go barging in this place."

"Sure we can, watch. Peacekeepers do it all the time..."

"And they're nearly extinct in this part of the world too!"

Crais eyed his companion started a harsh retort, then changed his mind. Perhaps...

"Look," Ragnar started again. "We're going in ,but not like this." He waved across the street. "Note the bouncer by the club, the two by the restaraunt and those three fatherly looking sorts by the corner and up at the book store?"

Crais looked, Nodded. "Security obviously. I sufficiant to be meaningful."

Ragnar gave himself a mental shake. This was kind of like talking to himself. "True, either of us could take them but the whole point of this is to be inconspicious remember?"

After a thought, Crais nodded.

"Why fight when we can walk?" Ragnar just loved when Crais looked a little perplexed.

"Come on, lets make a little detour back down the block and then we'll go see what there is to see."

Ragnar wondered what Rae was wearing when she found her way into this place....another time perhaps. He knew what HE'd be wearing as he led Crais back a block and into a friendly Men's Warehouse store. Time for an attire upgrade!
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Sandworm on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:07 am

Sandworm sat up suddenly.
"where am I?" he wondered aloud. "I don't recognise this place. Where is everyone?"

after the initial confusion, which lasted about 5 seconds, he got up and had a look around.

he was in an unfamiliar street, but he noticed Ragnar standing with some other bloke on the street corner, so he walked over to say hello.
ImageImage

Sikozu: "Do you have any plan of escape?"
Aeryn: "Run"
Sikozu: "Anything more detailed?"
Aeryn: "Run quickly" - Bringing home the Beacon

"I'm a damn scientist!" - John, Premiere

www.freewebs.com/farscapevirtualseason5
Virtual Season 5: The Peacekeeper Wars may be over, but the story continues.
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby RagnarRB on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:58 pm

About the time Sandworm started over, apparently having not noticed his arrival ,Ragnar grabbed Crais by the sleve and steered him back up the block.

Sandworm paused a step, they weren't going to ignore him were they? Naw that wasn't their style...was it? I mean he was the new guy...Ragnar at least didn't seem that sort, must be too much traffic and people noise obviously. He hurried after them but was a few steps behind when they rounded the corner. When he did they were no where in sight.

An arm shot out of a small alcove formed by the buildings corner stone work, grabbing him by the shirt and yanking him off the sidewalk and into an alley. Feet leaving the ground he got hustled back and around a dumpster.

"Why are you following us?" Crais demanded, pressing his captive against the wall.

Sandworm tried to say something, he and Crais had never met but Ragnar...

Ragnar interveened. "Whoa, whoa Crais." He inserted himself in the issue. "It's alright, you can put him down."

"You know him?"

"Yes."

Crais still wasn't convinced.

"He's one of the new arrivals at the Mansion."

Crais's eyes, narrowed, he smirked, but het let loose his grip. Stepped back. "Sorry." Not very convincingly. Rae should have updated his files.

Ragnar watched Crais a second to be sure then slid into the gap. "You okay Sand?"

Sandworm dusted himself off. Gee, what was with these people? They sure had funny ways of greeting newcomers. Guess it all depended on how you entered the situation. "What's the deal with him?"

"Crais?,"Ragnar glanced over his shoulder at the Mandroid who had taken up watch of the street again. He shrugged. "Sorry about that guy. Our Crais is much like the original. Rae wanted it that way so she gave him the attitudes as well."

Sandworm looked at him, not a clue of understanding passing between them.

Ragnar chuckled. Sometimes he forgot not everyone had been around for all the happenings. It mattered not. They were welcome anyway.

But that was another story.

"What are you doing here?"

Sandworm shrugged. "Just wondering around, saw you guys and thought I'd say hello."

Ragnar nodded. Understandable.

The newcomer looked at Crais and Ragnar. "Um is there a reason we are standing in an alley? You guys in some kind of trouble? Can I help?"

Ragnar suddenly had a could ideas. Maybe he could....
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Postby RagnarRB on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:48 am

With Sandworm in toe, Ragnar led the now trio into the Men's Warehouse store for a clothing upgrade.

Sandworm looked a little confused, Crais was gruff but managed to offer an apology for his actions.

Ragnar was trying to think fast. If Sandworm was a good enough distraction then they might just pull this off with out the direct approach after all! A few episodes of Alias passed thru his mind. The information was cataloged in there somewhere. As much fun as it was watching Crais take out his frustrations on underlings ,information did have another location. It was afterall the modern age!

They just had to find the right computer data bank!

And Sandworm could buy them the time.

Ah the things he got into when watching out for the ladies...

Welcome to the gang!
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Sandworm on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am

"so where are you from, anyway, Crais?" asked sandworm, trying to break the ice. "and don't worry about the grabby-thingy - cool move, by the way, where did you learn it?"
"and Ragnar... umm what do you want me for again?"
ImageImage

Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Crais smiled faintly.

Postby Rivyn on Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:42 pm

"I believe our Viking friend intended you to be the bait," he told Sandworm. "As to where I'm from..." He paused, considering. "Bialar Crais, the original after whom I am modled is originally from the small farming colony of Praxis Twelve, which I suppose technically makes me from the same inasmuch as Rivyn programed me to have all of his memories. We're cousins, you see. Or, she and the real Crais were. I suppose that's why she created me to have this appearance and these memories."

Ragnar shook his head at the uncertain look on Sandworm's face. "Don't worry, most of us don't get it, either. He may be a robot--"

"Synthetic artificial bio-mechanical intelligence," Crais corrected quietly.

"But most of us can't tell the difference half the time, including Rae. I think she likes it that way, too."

"Very much so," Crais agreed mildly. "Now, back to the plan. Sandworm, you are to create a diversion sufficiently... diverting to allow Ragnar and myself to sneak inside, hack into the data-base, and get back out undetected. Smoke grenades?" he offered.

"I'm not even going to ask why you carry smoke-grenades in your pocket," Ragnar laughed, shaking his head.

"Hey, I am the Colonel's cousin," he pointed out, cracking his knuckles. "So, shall we?"[/i]
Rivyn
Luxan Warrior

Postby RagnarRB on Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:58 pm

"We shall...but how about we adjust that plan of yours a bit."

Crais huffed up abit. "What's wrong with the plan?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe it's still a little confrontational."

"But...."

Sandworm watched this exchange with who knows what thoughts running thru his mind.

"Um...Ragnar, it's a robot. Doesn't it have to follow orders?"

Both Ragnar and Crais looked at him in wonderment for a moment. Neither knew quite what to say. Ragnar finally gave it a try. "Not a robot, independant lifeform."

"Okay..." Sandworm still didn't sound so sure.

At least Crais had a second or two to calm down. "So what do you want to do?"

"For starters lets just walk in the front door. You still have the nanite scanner right?" Crais noded. "We use it to find the source then we tap the info from there. If they're here like the last guy said then they shouldn't be too hard to find."

"And me?" Sandworm offered.

"You're the ace in the hole. If things go wrong, you create a diversion and we all get out."

Sandworm shrugged. "Sounds easy enough.
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Crais glanced at Sandworm

Postby Rivyn on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:18 pm

"Sure you don't want to borrow a smoke-grenade?" he offered again. "They do make excellent diversions." Pushing one into Sandworm's hand, he followed Ragnar. "I like your plan," he murmured. "It's elegant and... oddly subtle coming from a Viking."

"Why, Captain, was that a compliment?" Ragnar chuckled, shaking his head.

"I suppose it was. Riv must be starting to rub off on me. She's quite taken, you know."

"Rae? Nah..."

"As you say," Crais answered quietly as they entered.
Rivyn
Luxan Warrior

Postby Sandworm on Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:16 am

"I'd like to point out that I don't need a pokey smoke grenade, I have powerful wild magic at my disposal - I can make a diversion big enough for you, little man." said Sandworm, proudly.

"just how do I know? I guess its when I see bullets flying in your general direction?"
ImageImage

Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby RagnarRB on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:20 pm

Ragnar appraised Sand for a moment then nodded. "Just keep in mind, we might need a distraction not a destruction. We're trying to help Rae not get ourselves thrown in jail for life."

Sandworm just smiled.

"Lets go then."
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Sandworm on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:17 pm

"What do you mean WAIT HERE? We're about half a mile away. Do you want them to notice the distraction?" asked Sandworm.
ImageImage

Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby RagnarRB on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:55 pm

"Um...not sure what you're talking about. Waiting here wouldn't work. We need you in there ready to make a distraction if needed ,not out here."

Ragnar couldn't help but wonder where Sandworm had got the wait here idea from...Shrugged.

The three of them started across the street.
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Meanwhile, back at the Mansion...

Postby KaraS on Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:09 pm

Rae had taken Jila to her room to practice Divination...

Jila was seated cross leged on the floor with her eyes closed. Rae had told her to start by practicing meditation and had then proceeded to prowl back and forth in a distracting manner. How could Jila concentrate on her meditation with Rae DOING that?

Of course, knowing Rae, that COULD be the point.

Jila tried to concentrate.

"Are you concentrating yet?" Rae asked.

Kara, Kay and the IQs had gone back into the kitchen and Kara was making lemonade. She poured some for everyone. Everyone drank.

"That hit the spot!" said #7.

He put his glass in the sink and filled it with water. So did the other IQs present. Then they left to do more measurements and tests.

With a sigh, Kay picked up a sponge and started to wash out the glasses. Unnoticed by everyone, the nanites in #7's glass sank into her skin...
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby RagnarRB on Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:36 pm

Ragnar had to admit, this place was NICE with a capital 'N'

He, Crais, and Sandworm had entered at different times, Ragnar bringing up the rear. Not his usuall place but fitting. He glanced about, located the other two, noting a bouncer or three, eyed the well to do clientel, the guest dressed to kill and even the pretty young lady who came and asked for his jacket.

Smiling, he passed it over.

"Ragnar, guit admiring the scenery and get moving." Crais's voice chirped in his ear, courticy of the microtranciever, mascarading as an earring.

Nice indeed, She smiled as she handled him a slip of paper in exchange. He smiled back, idley slipping the ticket in his pocket.

"Ragnar!"

Ragnar ignored that.

"Coming mother...."

He moved off to the left, knowing Crais to be on his right. He was actually a little surprised to see this many people here already. He hadn't thought it was that late in the day yet. Pausing at one of several small bars he ordered a drink, and hit the nanite scanner. If it all went well he or Crais should get a hit when they got close to the trace marker and they could narrow it from there. There was a instant hit.

"Woah, deffinately something here...."

Pretty good reading too.

"Really?, I've got nothing here." Crais was about a quarter of the way around the room.

Ragnar checked again. Deffinately a hit. He sipped his drink. He moved a few feet further along. The signal didn't deminish.

"Must be a lot of them here somewhere. I got a hit all along this side." mumbled under his breath just loud enough for the tranciever to pick it up.

"Cann't be, I didn't get anything when I passed by there."

"Well I do. It's your equipment."

There was crass mumbling.

Yes Ragnar was getting a reading. What he didn't know was the reading he was getting was himelf!
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

PreviousNext

Return to Scooby Adventures