have posted a cancellation FAQ on their website, that attempts to explain their reasons for cancelling the series. Rather than offer my opinions on it at this time, I'll present a few points they make.
- They reiterate their point that Farscape's ratings have declined. "The fact is, ratings for the series have declined." "The actual number of viewers for Farscape has gone down." "This past summer, Farscape lost 29% of its lead-in program in terms of ratings, and 27% in households."
- They admitted that the cost from season four to five did not
increase, however "there was a very steep rise in cost between seasons 3 and 4." They say that with the decline in viewers during season four, cost became an issue. "We were faced with a show that was costing considerably more than it had during its first three seasons, while attracting a smaller audience. Farscape was failing to meet its advertising estimates and its continuation for a full 22-episode fifth season no longer made financial sense."
- They also finally confirm that they were pursuing a 13 episode season, and "up until the last moment, we all believed that this would work out." But "unfortunately, we could not come to terms with our production partners."
- Sci Fi also refute claims that there was a lack of advertising on their behalf, and also that they cancelled Farscape to fund a new season of Stargate SG-1
- Regarding releaseing the show to another network, they say, "SCI FI has not been approached to release Farscape to another network. From what we understand, despite efforts otherwise, there was no deal possibility for the show at any other network."
- And also of importance, about set destruction, "Although they were initially scheduled to be struck during the week of September 9, SCI FI Channel requested a reprieve as any possibility of saving the series was explored. Unfortunately, we understand that the sets will now be struck by Friday, September 20."
You can read the full FAQ by clicking here
Don't forget you can help in the campaign to save the show by visiting our Help Save Farscape