Was anyone else dissapointed by "Crichton Kicks"?

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

RE: Was anyone else dissapointed by "Crichton Kicks"?

Postby Squiver on Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:31 pm

I'm going to have to agree that I saw the primary purpose of CK was to introduce Shikozou (and I am never going to learn to spell her name, because I odn't know if that was right)I mean so much about her and her past was revealed, along with her abilities. It seems like with every other character we learned about them more gradually, of course that could be jsut me. I'm not sure what to think of the new character.

This episode was really easy for new viewers to catch on to, I was waching it with a friend who had not seen much FS (despite the fact that he has most of my FS tapes) and he wasn't totally lost. So how much time has passed between CK and DWTB, just curois if anyone has a good guesstimate. I'm looking forward to finding out what everyone else has been up to.
Squiver
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

People are confused?

Postby Tree of Woe on Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:48 pm

I skim this thread and I see people saying things like "Oooo, brrr, I don't know what the HELL'S GOIN ON! They USED FADEOUTS and FLASHY THINGS! WHERE'S MA CORNDOG!" Oh my. This was a SIMPLE EPISODE. You will never get the one with the bugs (4.12 - "The One With The Bugs" - uses a LOT of nonlinear storytelling, almost hypertextual) if you can't grasp this one. I got it, and I'm made of bark. BARK I say.

The things on the beach didn't happen, they're in Crichton's brain. But you should be used to this because Crichton has all kinds of silly fantasies in his brain. Everything else was real, unless of course you step back and realize "holy Christ on a cracker I'm watchin a TEEVEE SHOW!" but don't do that, it's necessary for you to believe that the teevee show is REAL and that YOU do not EXIST while you are watching the teevee show (this is the FIRST RULE OF WATCHING teevee shows, young ones!)

Sikozu's hand is fine because she's an alien and can stick it back on. She screamed because it hurts when you get your hand ripped off. Or so I've been told. Chiana used her power to see where the blasts were going to be, and then used that to avoid them as she was going up. This made her temporarily blind, as she explained.

As for the rest of the episode, I myself enjoyed it. It was tasty and full of meat. It introduced Sikozu, who isn't a complete copy of Jool as I feared but who I still wish they could've made look a bit different. And it established that Crichton won't be all moony over Aeryn for a whole season, which is good. He should get over her, she was makin' eyes with that imaginary beach bum anyway. Screw 'er.
Tree of Woe
Delvian Pa'u

RE: Was anyone else dissapointed by

Postby fspusher on Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:55 pm

Well, it worked for me. A nice maneuver out of the corner, some Crichton humor (but with the edge acquired in the UT), some new possibilities for Chiana, a promising new character, and some wry comments from beached Aeryn and John that place us shippers in a tizzy. Bring it on DK!

fspusher
still here
fspusher
Peacekeeper Commander

RE: People are confused?

Postby Tree of Woe on Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:56 pm

Incidentally, where IS my corndog? Has anyone seen it? I lose everything, absolutely everything...
Tree of Woe
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Shen on Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:50 am

>I know that it was Kemper's intention to confuse us, and to
>leave us in the dark, but I found it extremely hard to
>follow everything in "Crichton Kicks".
>Firstly, they still have those weird fadeouts that first
>popped up in "Dog With Two Bones". These happened after the
>hound took a chunk out of Crichton's leg (what happened to
>the thing after that? Did Sikozu chase it off?) and after it
>took Sikozu's hand (why didn't it kill her afterwards? She
>screamed loud enough for it to hear her). I don't like the
>fadeouts, and they were one of the things that made me
>suspect that nothing that was happening was real. I'm not
>sure that I like this turn in direction that Farscape is
>taking, but that's minor.
>Really, I expected more from "Crichton Kicks". Once again, I
>watched a season opener that seemed rushed and jam-packed
>with too much stuff for its own good (as was the case with
>Premiere, Mind the Baby and Season of Death)... except that
>not that much was happening in "Crichton Kicks". I didn't
>really like it, which was sad, becuase I had gone to the
>trouble of avoiding all spoilers and such beforehand.
>-HR

yep i was slightly confused when i watched it the first time...

i had to re-watch the 322 than 401 (twice) before understanding some of the thing they were talking about :)
Shen
Peacekeeper Commander

RE: New Openning

Postby Tetsuo on Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:57 am

I was watching the openning again, and i was mistaken when i said that "he is not looking for a way home anymore". He is still looking. So i must take back my comments about his choice to stay in the UT.

--
Tetsuo
http://tetsuo.geekbunker.org/
Tetsuo
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Cattivo on Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:41 am

The confusion isn't over what it real and not, that is pretty obvious. It's over the plot, and how it is slightly hard to understand only one time through. I've only read one synopsis, and I already know most of it now, and I will know almost all if not all wednesday when I have time to rewatch it. The confusion is just over what is happening in the plot in real time concerning the Klingons, that is all - something anyone could deal with, not only idiots in which you condescendingly imply we are.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

RE: Chiana not getting shot

Postby Cattivo on Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:45 am

>Well, Chiana was blind afterwards, which meant she was using
>her nifty future-looky powers

That part is obvious.

>which means she was looking
>ahead to see where the shots were coming before they were,
>in fact, coming.

See, it seems like she is just seeing in slo-mo, not the future, that is were the confusion lies.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Tree of Woe on Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:18 pm

I don't mean to imply that you're idiots... I just mean to imply you need a corndog. Here, take mine.
Tree of Woe
Delvian Pa'u

RE: Chiana not getting shot

Postby Tree of Woe on Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:28 pm

> See, it seems like she is just seeing in slo-mo, not the future,
> that is were the confusion lies.

Well see, SHE is seeing the future. WE are seeing the present, in which SHE is seeing the future and using that knowledge to dodge laser blasts. Since laser blasts go "durn fast," it makes sense to show her moving in slo-mo. All the indications that she was using her powers in the meantime help indicate that she was using foreknowledge to dodge 'em. You dig?

People ask me, they ask me "Alyce, how'd you get such stunning insight into the heart of man and the paranormal?" And I tell 'em, "well babe (I always call 'em babe when I'm talkin' corndogs, which is what I'm doin') I get it by eating Unky Frank's Ball Park Corndogs (TM). They give me the vital brain nutrients I need to think clearly in any situation, whether it's negotiating with terrorists or simply watching television. Enjoy Unky Frank's!"

Eat corndogs today.
Tree of Woe
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Cattivo on Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:44 pm

I'm not big on corndogs. Got any burritos?
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby StarBreaker on Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:30 am

I was disappointed. Very disappointed. I would like to be like some of the good natured posters and try to look for the silver lining, but seriously if you take the episode off the shelf and let it stand by itself, it stinks. David Kemper is out of control, IMHO. He's so focused on trying to make the episodes so intricate and unpredictable that something was lost along the way that made Farscape exciting to me.

The 1812 theme was VERY corny, even for FS. We don't have to have it in every scene on the leviathan, do we? Why yes, we do. I nearly pushed the "mute" button on my remote several times.

The writing on every flat surface is very ridiculous. Surely a scientist knows how to use a computer and store his data? Lacking that, how about a spiral notebook? Silly.

Every single beach scene was unbearable as well. Is anyone else sick of the Aeryn / Crichton endless tension and conflict? Kick her to the curb and find someone who can appreciate you man!

I could go on, but I'm getting off topic.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the series to mirror something like "Enterprise" (although I really loved the first season) because it is a very edgy and interesting show, in addition the actors are all superb, esp. Mr. Browder.

Now that that is off of my chest, I sincerely hope the balance of the season restores my interest. I remember how glued to the set I was for Season 2's "Liars, guns and money". What a great miniseries! It was in Season 3 around the time of Scratch n Sniff that I saw the plot become unmanageable and the cast too numerous.

I shall step off of my soap box now. I can't wait to see if ep #2 is better. I sure hope so.
StarBreaker
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

RE: New Openning

Postby Harmony on Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:50 pm

>I was watching the openning again, and i was mistaken when i
>said that "he is not looking for a way home anymore". He is
>still looking. So i must take back my comments about his
>choice to stay in the UT.

Well...I think you still have a point... he does make a choice. In the season three opening, John was divided -- does he stay in the UT and not lead enemies to Earth, or does he go back to warn us. Well, in the season four opening, he answers his own dilemma... He decides to warn Earth and he invites us to "look up and share the wonders he's seen."

I've liked all openings so far...they are great because they all seem to set the stage for each new chapter. The clue to season three and Dog with Two Bones was right there all along in the opening. So if the season four opening is likewise setting the stage for season four...I am *loving* the direction Farscape is going.

Just a thought... you know how John says Earth is defenseless in the season three credits? Well, if John gains wormhole technology for Earth, that doesn't leave us so defenseless anymore. Having one of the most powerful weapons in the universe and all...

Harmony
Harmony
Luxan Warrior

Postby chani on Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:20 am

I finally managed it yesterday to watch it, it was a lighthhearted ep to me, John was wrapping up things he thought about over ähhh probably months, the new girl is ok, she is not that annoying as I thought she will be

that beard was bad ;)

BUt what I heard now from Ep 2 lighthearted is over,... have no idea what to think about this seasonbegining , or where it will lead us,

we have to trust in them

or better,
"No dream is guaranteed, the grace of age is that we learn to accept."

:'(
chani
Luxan Warrior

Postby BritAngie on Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:34 am

I have to say I adored Crichton Kicks!!! It was wonderful to see all the characters brought back in an off centre way...So no one is the same..no nice and neat continuing..messing up what little coseyness we had last season..

Also I *want* an 1812 DRD!!!!lol

Also Raelee Hill wonderfully played down Sizuwotsit and resisted the urge to overact which happens to some actors in Sci fi roles..and as such I rather liked her character when all signs pointed to her being a 7 of 9 type...

Also loved the beach scenes too.... Overall I just loved it...great way to start the season..nice and dark....and lots of questions still to be answered..I like to be challenged and not have everything handed to me on a plate.. I hate TV dinner tv-fast food entertainment.......Farscape is a TV banquet..each course to be slowly savoured and digested..don't be in a rush to get to to the dessert...when it will be all over..who knows when we will get a meal like this again!!! :)
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Previous

Return to Episodes