OFFICIAL: Season 1 Heroes Discussion Thread!

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby sleeper on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Mreen wrote:I'm reminded of the girl who saw Syler slaughtered her family and was mute after that.. still waiting for her to show up on HRG's doorstop. Maybe Tommy Boy will take her in himself.

The last we saw of her was that the FBI had her. So what is her superpower? Unless she doesn't have one and is able to ID Sylar and that is the reason Sylar exposed himself to danger and tried to kill her when she was being guarded by Matt and the Blond woman.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby KaraS on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm

Mreen wrote:well, that's the only logical explanation for the name that I ever heard...

I think Peter has to concentrate on Claire, how he felt when she healed him to heal himself, he doesnt use any power automatically unless the super is near him. So he must have gotten hurt in the future and not been thinking of Claire long enough to heal properly -

OR

Future Hiro came from the future where the cheerleader was NOT saved, and he knew that was the difference, and that's why he came back and gave that message to Peter, risking a rift.

I think that's less likely myself, and that the scar will materialize sometime during the big bang or season 2, before Peter and Hiro finally get together. (So far Peter has only met future Hiro with the cool outfit and sword, he's never met the stumbling but optimistic Hiro in glasses, the Clark Kent version <g> that we all love.)

But is there a time limit on healing? When Claire's powers first appeared she had the cut on her hand for several hours and then it healed. Peter might not remember to use Claire's powere immediately, especially if he was in a fight or something, but he would think of it eventually.

As for the little girl, all the other children of people with superpowers have superpowers. Why should the girl be different?
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:02 am

Remember Claire hadnt manifested any power when she was a baby, that's part of what HRG was to watch for.

Claire didnt have super healing when she cut her hand, it manifested between the time she got home from the hospital, and HRG stopped by to check on her, a few days at most. Which is precisely the time most of these other heroes manifested.. so we are back to what set them off. Hiro's trip that far back - did it start setting off a vibe that woke the gene in groups of people he would meet later? Or .. what?

Or is that what you are saying, as long as Peter heals someday there should be no scar?

I think the fact that Claire's powers are 'always on' now would make a difference in her ever getting a scar - but she also manifested before the cut should have been done healing. That might have been why she has no scar now..

Anyhow... its something we'll have to see how well they deal with. If they follow thru with the scar, I think we'll already know what it will look like.

Just saw previews on the scifi channel for next week (altho .. will ALL of that happen next week or was that just the final four previews mixed in ??) If all of that happens .. wow, that's a busy ep!!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby chryse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:36 am

I think it's a matter of timing. The current story started 6 months ago. Not everyone was exhibiting powers before that, unless, like Claude, they were already superpowered from 16-17 years ago. The sword that Hiro is looking for, implies that powers in humans were necessary 400 years ago when Kensei/Musashi was around. We don't know what the "activation" event is, or even if there is an "Event" that gets the powers to manifest. Perhaps there was just a need in the world's aura that activated them (Gaia theory).

Micah has already used his powers and has known for sometime that he, and both his parents have unusual abilities. But, this is partly genetic. Both Michah's parents are supers, so he should also be a super. Claire is a super because both her parents are also supers.

We know that at least 1 of that little girl's family was a super, otherwise Sylar wouldn't have gone after them. But we do NOT know if BOTH her parents were supers, or just one. I don't actually remember if there other people in the family... perhaps it was a sibling Sylar was after and not a parent? But even sticking to one of the parents being a super, it does not mean that the little girl is a super either. Sylar likes killing people, if the rest of the family got in the way, he'd just kill them to get to the person he wanted, so that they were all dead really means nothing for this conversation.

Remember, Mohinder is not a super, but his sister was (according to Chandra), and neither of his parents appear to be supers either. Just because Nathan and Peter are both supers doesn't mean anything either, they are full brothers. Had there been a third or fourth sibling, it's just as likely that they would have no powers. Basic recessive gene theory is being presented by the different families with and without supers.

So, if the little girl is forgotten by the writers and never returns, it's not a bad thing. She may really be normal.

Hmm, timing... Ok, so what has OWI been doing in the 15 interveneing years since the activation event then and now? They must have had a lull where they couldn't find any more supers for while, right? So, what, they just do "research" on the supers they do have? *shudder* That's not a pleasant thought.
Too many clicks spoil the browse......
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mreen on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:50 am

I hadnt really thought about OWI's activities between events that way..no wonder they started to go to vivasection phase (((shudder))) but I think they were never empty of targets in their search...

They've still been hunting supers at all times we know, at least,- Claire's mom has been on the run for 14yrs, knowing never to stay in one place too long, and just 7yrs ago Claude got the boot (or more accurately, the bullet) for hiding someone ... there may not have been an event to start a new batch but they seemed to have plenty of fuel from the previous batches. (They do search globally, after all, as HRG showed with his 'Bears From Around The World' collection he was building for 'Claire-Bear')

(Before the Bear Collection was turned into a nuclear dust collection, I pictured us occaisionally viewing a bear in her collection, from China or France or wherever, and then focusing in on the individual HRG may have hunted once upon a time.. or reverse, showing the hero, and then revealing the bear so we knew HRG had been tracking this person once upon a time as well kind of a visual footprint tool for us to follow, in case they got bored of the cell phone trick)

Chandra actually just said his daughter died from a genetic anomally - similar such defects have been the cause of death for many children in RL, there's no reason to suppose from what he said that she had any powers, just that it sent him on a search as to why so many such anomalies are occuring. And in his search for a pattern, he stumbled onto the event phenomena, tracking the changes to match crisis in the world events.. or so it seems, from Mohinders first speech to the classroom. Of course, you, I, and viewers with any common sense know that someday that little anomaly that killed her will prove to be a mutation power of some sort that will come up some day, so long as the writers have time to include it in the story.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby KaraS on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Mreen wrote:Or is that what you are saying, as long as Peter heals someday there should be no scar?

That's basically what I'm saying. As long as Peter remembers to heal the wound sometime in, oh, two or three weeks after he gets it, there should be no scar. Unless he goes back into a coma again and can't activate Claire's power.

When Sylar orphaned the little girl he cut the skull off her father so the father must have had powers. He pinned her mother to the wall with sharp objects but didn't eat her brain (or whatever it is he does) so she probably didn't have powers. Wether the little girl takes after Daddy or not is an open question. But Matt DID hear her from outside when there were other people closer whom he could have tuned in on. Why? Was she a projecting telepath of some kind?

And will Matt's impending offspring have powers of some kind? Will we have to wait 16 years to find out?
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

As fast paced as this show is, I expect to find out by season 2 or 3 about baby Parkman's powers (I picture baby climbing the walls...and also having a first name that starts with a P <g>)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby chryse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:52 pm

Kara, I honestly don't think the little girl has powers. She might, but Parkman has been able to read minds of people who don't have powers at all as well. He could hear the other FBI agents, his wife and pretty much anyone he concentrates on, except the Haitian and he got nasty feedback from Peter. Think about it like this. Most people just whisper in their heads. Parkman has to concentrate on those whispers to hear them. Sometimes we think a little "louder" than normal so Parkman doesn't have to concentrate to hear those thoughts, they just intrude on him. But that little girl was scared of her wits and doing the equivalent of shouting in her head about how scared she was and how frightened she was of the scary man and hoping he wouldn't find her. With her, I think that it honestly doesn't matter if she's super or not, Matt would have had to have been unconcious not to hear her.

What's really interesting to me about his power is that he could hear both Jessica AND Nicki clear as a bell, so he thought there were TWO assassins running around. Does that mean that he can "hear" the thoughts of other supers more clearly than normals? Or was it just because those two are just yelling at each most of the time (and especially during that particular exhange)?

In regards to Peter's healing. What if he can control it to the point where he can leave the scar? He'll heal himself just enough, but leave the scar, maybe as a reminder of something?
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mreen on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:29 pm

hmm What if Peter is too exhausted to heal himself fully, and stops before he's done? Maybe he has to lay low and not use powers for a few days or a week, the last bits of time the scar needs to form....

Or ...maybe they wont make it happen at all...

why, oh why, am I looking forward to Monday on a Saturday??? ](*,)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 pm

I still expect that little girl to be delivered to a company man to raise ... we dont need to know if she has powers now.. just that she may manifest some later in life, for her to be in danger. And watched. Closely, in the home she grows up in, by the people she suspects the least.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:50 pm

A nice article in our local paper about HRG-

http://www.dispatch.com/features-story. ... B6-00.html

mostly about the actor, and how he refuses to let anyone peg his character into a good guy or bad guy <g> perfect attitude for that character..
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Chocolate on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:10 am

Hi, I've been following the thread for a while, and am quite impressed with your in-depth analysis of practically everything that goes on in this show... It's like watching the show with some sort of guide... So thank you for all your insights, it has made me much more perceptive as a viewer!

Personally, I think the scar won't appear, because the Hiro who mentioned it was a Future Hiro, in a particular timeline in which Claire had died long before Peter ever knew she existed. So there wasn't really much of a chance for Peter to obtain his healing abilities.
Besides, I think his healing ability is very strong in him because it was the first power he could summon without being close to whoever he got the power from. They could have shown him flying, or shifting his location or whatever it is that Sylar can do when he appears to be flying, or even hearing Claude thinking of pushing him overboard and dodging it.

I think his healing abilities manifested themselves first because he has a strong connection to Claire, stronger than he knows.

I'd be quite disappointed if the scar appeared without a VERY good excuse...

Oh, and this might seem a silly question, but could Mr. Nakamura be Linderman? I mean, Linderman is never shown, and no one has ever seen him (Nathan, Nikki, etc.). Mr. Nakamura somehow knew of Hiro's quest for the sword which belongs to Linderman, and Hiro will somehow get that sword in the future, and, of course, Linderman is connceted to almost every super one way or another, not to mention HRG or Simone.

It could be a different name underwhich Mr. Nakamura operates or something.

As for Simone - Could she be the person Claude was hiding? He would have probably known her as a kid around her Daddy's building. Or is it too much, seeing as almost every person from HRG's job is hiding a gifted child :lol: ....

I'm sure she has powers, or SOMETHING, not just because she was drawn to both Peter and Isaac, but mostly because of her father and the building. I think she probably knows more than she's letting on.

Or should I say 'knew'?
That's another thing - Peter has met Hiro, and not only that, he met a Future Hiro who can control his powers. How come he didn't stop time or go back in time or do SOMETHING with time the minute Simone was shot?

Okay, these are my thoughts at the moment, I know it's not much but hey, I'm a beginner, please be patient, I'm still learning :) ...
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby chryse on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey Chocolate, Glad you have been finding this interesting.

I thought that Nakamura might have been Linderman up until this last ep. But earlier in the season, Nathan had almost been kidnapped by Bennett and Blink just after he was getting blackmailed by Linderman. But Nakamura is working with OWI and Bennett already, so if Nakamura and Linderman were the same person, they could have taken Nathan in the hotel room earlier. it wouldn't have made sense to wait until he could get away. So, they can't be the same person now.

I think Simone is a good guess, but she would have been a very little girl at the time, like Hiro was. They didn't know about Hiro then, it's unikely they would have known about Simone. Her father on the other hand, seems a likier choice to me at this point. But that will probably change after tonight's ep. LOL

Hiro has already found out that he can't always change the past and his poor heart is still recovering from Charlie. I think he recognized that a time paradox in this one instance (to save Claire) was worth the risk.... and it seems he was right. But that it's not worth it yet for anyone else.

I like your thinking about the scar and why it might be more powerful for Peter to use Claire's healing ability. I hadn't thought of that. But it makes sense. Claire's genetics would be closer to Peter's and easier for him to use rather than, say, Matt's genetics.
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KaraS on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Claude threw Peter off a roof and he fell several stories and landed on top of a cab. If Peter were just going to glom onto the powers of the person most closely related to him he would have flown with Nathan's powers.

He knew he was going to go splat again. (Remember, he already recovered from a fatal fall once using Claire's powers.) He thought of Claire and that activated the healing powers before he impacted on the cab.

Sorry, we know that Nakamura is not Linderman. We saw the back of Linderman's head and partial profile in the previews and it was a white man, not an asian. But I'm sure that Linderman and Nakamura are connected in some way, everybody else is.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 am

The scar has us all speculating on its existance <g>

But yes, I'd have considered Nakamura potentially Linderman right up until the preview showing us it will be someone else (unless that clip was yet another fakeout :P )But altho I was thinking the same way earlier, I've come to the conclusion that, at best, they were rivals.

(You dont suppose he's a whitehaired Leonard Nimoy do you? He and Takai jousting for control of the OWI, but willing to join forces, lest Shatner try for a guest spot on the show... stopping now....)

I assume its not Col Sanders in the kitchen...

I guess if Nathan is meeting with him, then Linderman has taken care of how to get Jessica in the right place at the right time without her having to take the family to NYC .. sigh.. I had thought that was part of the wrapup, how to get everyone all together at the right time and place.. guess we'll just have to see
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows