Saddest/ Emotional Farscape moment?

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Firecracker on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Ehraeyn wrote:Yes, I'm a horrible person, but I'm only on Season Two,

Actually you are a very lucky person. You know how good Farscape is already and you haven't yet watched Season 3. You are in for such a ride (just keep the kleenex handy).

but I'm watching every episode since I don't have cable, and never have, and didn't start watching until re-runs. I've already said all this before. So, right now, my depressing one is the Season Finale of Season Two, where we all think Aeryn is dead, but I know she's not cause I've seen episodes after that one, but I'm depressed, cause I don't know how they get out of that situation, and it makes me want to cry more than I already want to cry, which is a lot. Yeah, that funeral. I've seen it like four times, and I still cry every single time, cause I don't know what happens on the premier of Season Three, and it's driving me crazy! Stupid hw, who needs it.... I do, that's what.

That funeral is painful to watch. In most shows that would be the final scene of the episode. But not Farscape - they still amped up the ante another notch (or ten) before leaving us with Aeryn dead, the Diagosian dead, Crichton unable to communicate with his brain hanging out, and Scorpy with the chip.

WAAAAAAAA! :cry:
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Bern1106 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Ok, maybe not original. But bad guy makes good and I have to say one of the most emotional moments for me was when Crais uttered..."Talyn , Starburst", in the Command Carrier hanger. My jaw just hit the floor (I honestly thought he'd figured something else out at the time even though there had been the,"you'll die scene" just before), as in the end it was the only way he could exorcise his past. I always though Crais was underused, but this dramatic (emotional for me) exit made up for most of that.
Bern1106
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby pushka on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 pm

I also agree that Crais was greatly misused, but he certainly had a great but sad final moment, along with Talyn. I was a little sad that we never got to see how big Talyn got.

I also find it sad that it took Crais to his death to prove to John that he wasn't a bad person. The events aboard the Command Carrier proved how much John instantly jumps to the conclusion that Crais is doing something bad. And sometimes, I feel that someone, maybe Aeryn, should have just slapped him round the face and told him to think about Crais's actions more!

As you may guess, I am a big fan of Crais! I defended him to his death!
Pushka the Cannon - Cannonade strikes again!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby Bern1106 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:15 am

I thought he was one of the supporting cast that had the most to be learnt from. I was quite looking forward to discovering his motivations behind why he turned out as he did. We found out some of it but it was left hanging. Ok admittedly Talyn became a surrogate for the lost Command Carrier, to physically become attached was I suppose his way of making sure something he wanted wouldn't escape him again.
Plus Lani Tupu is a class actor and he managed to pull Crais's character around believeably without really deviating too much from his lust for power (which is why he never really became a nice guy, but just accepted). Even to the end, His 'sacrifice' said basically, "If I can't have Talyn, no one can."
Bern1106
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby pushka on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:53 pm

True. But if you had Talyn, would you ever want to give him up to someone else? :wink:

I do believe that Crais was doing certain things for Talyn as well as himself, and perhaps for Moya and for Pilot, but no one else. He connected well through Moya and Pilot via his bond with Talyn. Perhaps he would have done things for Aeryn, but seeing as she humiliated him rather nastily, he had no reason to.

I also believe that there is a bit of Crais in all of us. There's always a small part of our humanity that craves power. I know I have a certain power hungry streak in me from time to time! :)
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby Firecracker on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:20 pm

pushka wrote:I do believe that Crais was doing certain things for Talyn as well as himself, and perhaps for Moya and for Pilot, but no one else. He connected well through Moya and Pilot via his bond with Talyn. Perhaps he would have done things for Aeryn, but seeing as she humiliated him rather nastily, he had no reason to.

Actually I disagree. Crais wanted Aeryn very badly. He wanted to build a family with her:

Crais: Unlike your institutional upbringing - my parents were compassionate. Moral. Emotional. I value those traits. They're beginning to emerge in you. (Aeryn makes no response, her head is bowed) Crichton may not survive. Moya may be permanently crippled. The others are contemplating their next move. You're an officer and a strategist. Have you not planned yours?

Aeryn: Sounds like you have a suggestion.

Crais: This ship - this emotional ship - needs guidance. Talyn has chosen you. (pause) And I agree with his choice. There is much that you can learn that will surprise you.

Crais is learning to revalue the very things that his conscription with the PKs beat out of him. Morality and emotion - family. And he is trying to convince Aeryn to join him and Talyn in "Liars, Guns and Money".

He was very clumsy at it - wooing isn't practiced much by the Peacekeepers. Don't forget - if Aeryn is learning how to deal with mature adult emotions - so is Crais. Both of them are bad at it.

Later in "Thanks for Sharing", Crais goes out of his way to convince Aeryn to come with him on Talyn. And Crais is quite put out when TalynJohn arrives with Aeryn. Crais wanted Aeryn for himself. Something he has been trying to accomplish for a long time.

Crais is a lot more complicated than just a guy in control of a big weapon.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby pushka on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Indeed, Crais did want Aeryn for himself, but he did seem to be rather humiliated by Aeryn's actions in The Choice, and also rather hurt by the way in which she did so:

Aeryn: If I close my eyes tightly enough, you could be someone else

She knew that Crais wanted her, grieving for Chrichton or not, she could have chosen a more appropriate way to put him down.

Also, as quoted, when Crais was saying that Talyn had chosen Aeryn for emotional guidance. During that conversation, looking at it now, he was most likely using Talyn as a way of saying he wanted those things. Guidance, etc. And also as a way to say he wanted Aeryn. But possible, if he wanted her so badly, it may have made him clumsy over what he said, especially when he new Chrichton was hanging around.

One thing I was never sure of. When Chrichton was on Talyn with the split up from Moya, and he had problems with DRDs, doors, etc. Was it Talyn stopping him or Crais? And when Aeryn was blocked from seeing Chrichton outside the airlock in Green Eyed Monster, was that Crais's doing or Talyn's? I was never sure of that!
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby Firecracker on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:49 am

pushka wrote:Indeed, Crais did want Aeryn for himself, but he did seem to be rather humiliated by Aeryn's actions in The Choice, and also rather hurt by the way in which she did so:

Aeryn: If I close my eyes tightly enough, you could be someone else

She knew that Crais wanted her, grieving for Chrichton or not, she could have chosen a more appropriate way to put him down.

"The Choice" took place in the Farscape timeline four episodes before Crais' final departure. A large part of his arc was behind him by then - including the events of "Green Eyed Monster" - where Crais was somewhat responsible for the events that Talyn precipitated.

Up until "The Choice" Crais was always pining for Aeryn.

Aeryn's response to Crais "If I close my eyes tightly enough, you could be someone else." was brutal. But also was the only way that Crais would ever realise that he and Aeryn would never have a future together.

Sad for Crais. But quite necessary for him to understand. And for Aeryn to not have to deal with that waiting pressure any longer.

Also, as quoted, when Crais was saying that Talyn had chosen Aeryn for emotional guidance. During that conversation, looking at it now, he was most likely using Talyn as a way of saying he wanted those things. Guidance, etc. And also as a way to say he wanted Aeryn. But possible, if he wanted her so badly, it may have made him clumsy over what he said, especially when he new Chrichton was hanging around.

Well as far as Crais knew at that point Crichton was dead. So he wasn't so worried about his competition.

But - yes - he was clumsy with his overtures to Aeryn. Mostly because as a PK he was not familar with how to woo a partner.

One thing I was never sure of. When Chrichton was on Talyn with the split up from Moya, and he had problems with DRDs, doors, etc. Was it Talyn stopping him or Crais? And when Aeryn was blocked from seeing Chrichton outside the airlock in Green Eyed Monster, was that Crais's doing or Talyn's? I was never sure of that!

Talyn - both times. We know that Talyn took Winona because at the end of the episode Crichton said "DRD had her." Talyn controls the DRDs. Talyn also controls the doors, and the water temperature and he would be the reason that Aeryn was blocked from seeing Crichton.

Talyn and Crais both want Aeryn as part of their family. So while Crais was wooing Aeryn - Talyn was harrassing Crichton.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby pushka on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Cool, I understand all that bit a little better now.

Maybe Talyn also know how much Crais wanted Aeryn and possibly agreed that she should be with Crais rather than Chrichton, so wanted to 'help out' so to speak. Sadly, it did no good. It would also be kind of 'sweet' if that was Talyn's intention.

It would have made a more interesting plot twist if Aeryn's baby had been Crais's, I was rather hoping for that somewhere along the line! :wink:
pushka
Luxan Warrior

Postby Bern1106 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:34 pm

I'm not at all convinced Talyn wanted Crais, infact I think that Talyn wanted Aeryn and only Aeryn and may have been deliberately provoking Crais to bring her into 'the family' (by being difficult, not obeying his commands) and would then quite happily disposed of his former commander afterwards.
Talyn was borderline psychotic, I believe Crichton was percieved as an unknown entity to begin with. Could it not have been possible that afterwards Talyn finally saw Crichton as a means to an end. Crichton pleases Aeryn (after the Crais/Aeryn love scene palaver), therefore if I accept him, she will be pleased with me...
Bern1106
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Previous

Return to Episodes