OFFICIAL: FS (Starburst Edition) DVDs Discussion Thread

Discuss any and all Farscape merchandise.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

OFFICIAL: FS (Starburst Edition) DVDs Discussion Thread

Postby BlueSpawn on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:34 am

Mod Edit: SunKrux
Please use this thread from now on to:

1- Ask ANY questions you have about the Starburst edition of the DVDs.
2 - Rant about any problems you've had with any DVDs.
3- DVD recommendations you have
4 - Commentary questions or bonus finds/Easter Eggs on DVDs

Thank you! :D

I've searching all kinds of Farscape forums for recent Starburst information, but found practically nothing.

Amazon has but a few reviews (2-3) for each DVD release, and even fewer that actually address these special editions, instead of just the story.

I avoided buying the Starburst Ed. in the early days because I learned about the horrible performance of those double sided disks.

Was ready to get Farscape season 3+4 when ADV stoped producing double sided disks, but aparantly there's been trouble with the packaging. I take it that the disk holders are highly fragile and break into bits and pieces shortly after (or before) their use?

That's almost as bad as the early Starburst release, because while I may relocate these new DVDs into custom made cases (once the holders break) I'm still wasting money on ADV's horrible packaging.

I was hoping that ADV would release Starburst Boxsets, maybe this time getting the packaging right, but no luck there. Boxsets are usually released shortly after (or long before) the last volume of a season. No sight of the boxsets and seeing as how Farscape is so freaking unpopular, the starburst volumes are probably the last releases of the show. I thought about waiting for Vol 4.3 to come out in hopes that ADV would present us with boxsets. I've waiting for a year and it'll be, what, another 6 months before the last volume in the series comes out?

I've been ranting a lot, so I'll get to my point(s):

Would you recommend getting these new Starburst releases (with the weird packaging and fragile DVD holders) ? Or maybe go for the original (but rediculously expensive) boxsets?

For those of you who have Starburst Season 4 volumes: has the quality of packaging improved?

And finally, when you play the Starburst disks, do you still get those really annoying ANIME commercials each time the disks boot up?

Thanks for reading/replying!

Cheers~
BlueSpawn
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby farscapefan76 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:49 pm

I would recommend buying the Starbursts editions.

Right now I own 2 seasons (1 and 4)of the original boxed sets and 2 seasons of the Starburst editions. I truely enjoy the extras that are offered on the Starburst verisons. There is new commentary and new added bonus things that are not available on the original boxed sets. And as far as I can tell the extras that are on the original are also on all the Starburst. I maybe worng about that since I do not own 2 seasons yet. I will be purchasing the entire series on Starburst. Mostly because I like the starburst series, but also cause I am a freak and like everything to match. (worried about Stargate season 9+? Slim line packaging will not match all the other seasons I own). Also because when you put the DVD's in order next to each other they show Moya Starbusting, so cool :lol:

I did have ONE of the inside CD holders break of the 6 that I have. But you cannot tell from the outside so it does not bother me. It still holds the DVD and protects that other. It did not break into pieces (maybe I am lucky) just the tab on the bottom broke. Which happens to most plastic when it is cold, It gets very brittle and breaks easily.

And unfortunatly the Anime commercials are still on them, but I have found that if you press MENU on your dvd remote it takes you right to the play menu. I have never seen the entire anime commercial. I usually don't even get to that point since I can hit menu right while the FBI warning is on it and it takes me right where I want.

I hope this helps.
Jay
farscapefan76
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby BlueSpawn on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:14 am

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I'm probably going to wait 6 more months in hopes of seeing a starburst boxset. Also, I heard that ADV has started producing single sided DVDs for seasons 1 and 2. Now, this is great, but I don't know which online stores sell the single sided versions of Starburst Editions. I know there's a return policy in case I get the double-sided ones, but as I want to get my dvds for cheap from stores like DeepDiscountDVDs (where returning purchased items is one hell of a hassel), I'm not keen on that.
BlueSpawn
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Greybeard on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:54 am

I bought all the original ADV dvds plus those Starburst Editions which had enough new extras for me to justify duplicate purchases (6 so far - 4 of which are double-sided, 2 single-sided). While I'm not wild about the the double-sided discs or the new cases, I have yet to have any problems with either of them (knock wood).

The only problem I've experienced with any of the ADV products is one original disc became unreadable over time (no scratches/cracks, substrate clouding, or other visible problem).
Greybeard
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby FangsFirst on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:58 am

BlueSpawn wrote:Thanks a lot for the reply.

I'm probably going to wait 6 more months in hopes of seeing a starburst boxset. Also, I heard that ADV has started producing single sided DVDs for seasons 1 and 2.

I heard rumours about this, but never anything definitive...do you know for sure if this is the case? Or does anyone?
I read a thread a while ago mentioning a sell-out of the double sided would lead to re-stocking with single sided...but haven't heard much since...just wondering if anyone knew more, since I've been waiting since hearing that--and this seemed the closes to appropriate thread to ask in. Er, sorry if there would be a more appropriate approach.
FangsFirst
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

good prices in the U.S. on Starburst

Postby bwilli18 on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:33 pm

The best prices I've found for Starburst Editions are at Deep Discount DVD (deepdiscountdvd.com). They run about $16.69 (U.S.) with free shipping. They do charge tax, which Amazon doesn't. But even so, they're usually a little cheaper.

There are lots of sets available on eBay, but I've always been able to get a better price at Deep Discount because shipping is usually astronomical on eBay.

Does someone know of better deals?
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Re: OFFICIAL: FS (Starburst Edition) DVDs Discussion Thread

Postby suptallman3 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:18 pm

I've just started looking into buying the entire series, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to look. I don't know if I will be able to find it anywhere other than ebay. I'm having a lot of trouble with finding the first season especially. I'm looking for any suggestions. Thanks.
suptallman3
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Firecracker on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 pm

suptallman3 wrote:I've just started looking into buying the entire series, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to look. I don't know if I will be able to find it anywhere other than ebay. I'm having a lot of trouble with finding the first season especially. I'm looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

Unfortunately the first season is out of print. But you can still get them from Amazon.com although Season One is an outrageous price.

Farscape: Starburst Edition, Season 1 Collection 1
Farscape: Starburst Edition, Season 1 Collection 2
Farscape: Starburst Edition, Season 1 Collection 3

Just remember that each season in Farscape is 3 Starburst DVDs.

However it is still possible to buy the rest of the seasons from ADV Films. Farscape Starburst Editions, Season 2 through 4

Hope that helps. :)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby pupsinmelb on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:25 am

What are the extras that come with these DVDs? I haven't heard of the Starburst ones before.
pupsinmelb
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Firecracker on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 pm

pupsinmelb wrote:What are the extras that come with these DVDs? I haven't heard of the Starburst ones before.

Commentaries (Ben and Claudia mostly), a couple of episode commentaries by Guy Gross - some interviews. The Starburst Editions are excellent DVDs. :)

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby pupsinmelb on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Hmmm... disappointing then that I've already got the normal DVDs and don't have the money to spend on Starburst ones. I'd love to hear the additional commentaries.
pupsinmelb
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Firecracker on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:15 pm

You could always sell your box sets on e-bay (just not your Season 1 - it is hard to find Season 1 Starbursts). But you can still get a LOT of money for Season 2-4 Farscape DVDs there.

ADV is no longer selling the Starburst Editions (or in fact any Farscape), but you can still get Starburst Editions Season 2-4 from Exyte.com. $70.00/per season or $188.00 for Seasons 2-4. Good deal... considering they are out of print and only gonna get more expensive. :)

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby pupsinmelb on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:32 am

True; but there's not much point. I'm in Australia, and shipping would be ridiculously expensive on top of the costs. Although I might recoup it by selling the originals, the Starbursts would be just too expensive to warrant an exchange (maybe if the price dropped, but that's not going to happen is it? :wink: ).
pupsinmelb
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby DarkStark on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:21 pm

I found an auction on ebay for a very rare Season 1: Collection 2, Starburst Edition 2-Disc DVD going for less than a dollar!! That's insane. Fortunately I have it already, otherwise I'd be bidding my butt off, but I know many are still looking for it since they're so hard to find these days for less than $70 used or new. I just thought it would be a cool thing to share with you guys, considering your current discussion regarding the DVDs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150296712201
DarkStark
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Return to Merchandise