Firefly movie a good sign for Farscape

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby TINemo on Sun May 08, 2005 11:03 pm

Five hundred years is barely a blink f the eye in the billions of years of the "verse so I can't see why another 500 years would necessarily change whether we find other intelligent species or they find us. I believe they are out there somewhere but not necessarily contemporary with us.Maybe they've been and gone, maybe they haven't evolved yet'

It will be 500 years or more at our present rate of development to be able to travel the distances or at the speeds that Serenity and Moya do routinely. It will take some major breakthrough in physics and our current knowledge of quantum physics is neglible.

In a very literal sense ,I cannot see a jury riggged engine like Kallie keeps going, in the same room with her so it's not nuclear, and what is the fuel source??????, allowing a ship to do what Serenity pretends to do. Nor can I see a living ship, with no observable source of energy , do what Moya can do.

My point was, I found it hard to believe that pioneers or colonists from that very high tech society would be herding cattle,riding horses and talking and dressing like John Wayne.Sure there were touches here and ther, like the hologram window or hovercar, but why the 1880s clothing styles? My other point was that I like aliens--they are a big part of a lot of sci fi. That and robots which weren't there either.

But I got over it, and I enjoyed the interactions of the cast members as I did those in Farscape-- and I miss both of them/
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Cardelia on Mon May 09, 2005 10:37 pm

Yes, 500 years is nothing on a universal timescale. So the real question is, what are the odds that alien life will find us in the next 500 years? They're also extremely long - sorry if it wasn't clear what I meant originally.

I think the part of the engine we see Kaylee maintain is just the circuitry. The actual part which produces thrust is right at the back, presumably well shielded from the engine room.

I had hoped that Joss would eventually explain the anachronistic situation on the outer planets. But if you think about it, it's not so different to the situation here on Earth: I'm sat in my heated room with running water, electricity and gas on tap, stuffing my face with a ready-made lamb curry, typing a message on a computer to someone who's 4000 miles away. Yet if you travel down to sub-saharan Africa, there are people who have no food, who have to trek miles to find water (which isn't even clean), live in mud huts and wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to work a PC. One human race, many different societies at many different technological levels.
Cardelia
Luxan Warrior

Postby TINemo on Wed May 11, 2005 10:10 pm

Very true that even on Earth we have widely disparate cultures and degrees of technology.Many of the poorest of the poor don't even know the extent of our technology-- or they do but financially they can't achieve it-- theyor don't choose to use it., prefering primitive ways.

In Firefly's universe, all those settlers came originally from the high tech society--although apparently some of them fled it after revolting against the government. Still they must have gone to their chosen planet by spaceship(with their cattle and horses). Presumably they were limited in what technology they could take along or recreate when they got there. Or in their rebellion they chose not to. I wish Josh had had more episodes
to explain their backstories. On the DVD commentaries he hints at some of the revealations that would have come had there been more eps.

I've watched them often enough that it's OK now, my comments were my first impressions. Actually I suppose they are going back to their roots- half remembered, half legendary--for example the fancy cotillion dances and the dress styles out of civil war times.

And being pioneers on frontier planets, they do the best they can with what they can get like the Reynolds wrapped whore house in the desert
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby TINemo on Sat May 14, 2005 7:40 pm

PS I rewatched the pilot last night and thought some more about Serenity's abilities. She has two engines that appear to be some sort of turbo/rocket fuel thrust mounted on the wings that she uses in atmoshere and to take off and land. They talk about refueling so it must be some fuel readily available in the "verse.Where do they store it?--in the wings?

When they discover the Reever ship i'ts because it's putting out extreme radiation operating * without a containment core* which is , Wash says, suicidal. So theoretically the firefly aft section of Serenity must have a fuel source that emits radiation but is in a containment core. Yet it is not radioactive towards the crew or on land???

I know we have nuclear powered subs and aircraft carriers which evidently are our version of a radiation source contained for safety by shielding. They, however, to the best of my knowledge, do not leave trailing waves of gases and bright light like Serenity does.---and as the Reevers do, with smoke besides.

I think our nukes can travel long distances for a considerable time without refuelin their reactors, so again presumably Serenity can too.

I'm looking through the DVDs for the commentary about the ship to see if that says anything more specific.
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Serenity Trailor

Postby DCscaper on Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:33 pm

I didn't follow the link on this message board, however, I did see the trailor for Serenity on the big screen when I went to see Star Wars (which astoundingly good, by the way), and it really peaked my interest. I think I'll be going to see it when it comes out. Even though I never really got into the show when it was on TV. I watched a couple of eps and never liked it that much. I think I missed the whole shipper aspect that I got from Farscape. ;) There never seemed to be that kind of chemistry on Firefly between any of the leading characters. But, again, that's from watching only 2 eps.

I think this movie will tee up a Farscape movie quite nicely. We want the movie, Henson wants the movie...all Henson needs is money and luck at this point. ;)
"In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide (1869–1951)
DCscaper
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby TINemo on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:06 pm

I think if you had seen more of the eps you would have a better feel for the relationships which are many and complex

For example: Mal- feels fatherly or maybe older brotherly towards Kallie whom he always refers to as *girl*
is more than a little interested in Inarra, does not like her profession as a companion and won't admit either to her
has a loyal *buddy* in Zoe who has been with him for many years, first in the war and now on the ship
knows and understands that Jayne cannot be trusted and acts accordingly, but is loyal to him against others
is uncomfortable with Book's religious aspects and questions about his real background which doesn't fit with a shepherd
knows Simon and River are threats to Serenity, but as *crew* members, he lets them stay and protects them
enjoys Wash, values his pilot skills but knows he's not really a fighter in the same way he and Zoe are, but will come thru in a pinch

Kallie loves engines, adores her captain, would like to hook up with Simon and thinks Inaara is glamourous, and enjoys getting dressed up as a girl if the opportunity presents (Shindig)

Zoe is a battle hardened warrior woman. madly in love with Wash but not about to be subservient to him, loyal to Mal to the death--even if she thinks he is wrong in his plans. Doesn't really fit in with the other women and womanly things, I can't imagine her in a dress

Inarra is very interested in Mal, but wont admit it either, *mothers * Kallie, doesn't react much with the others, knows Jayne is dumb and untrustworthy

Wash loves Zoe, is loyal to but not afraid to argue with Mal, doesn't trust Jayne , doesn't react much with the others, is the comic relief

Jayne would sell his mother for money, is not too bright, is a good shot, apparently is not interested in Kallie or Inarra but wonders about Book and would like to get a reward for Simon and River but can't quite figure out how.

Simon has given up everything he values to save his sister and now is stuck with the results, is interested in Kallie but awkward in showing it, looks up to Mal, down on Jayne

River loves and trusts her brother, likes to play with kallie but is so confused she does weird things like slashing Jayne, probably having read what he was thinking at the time-- she has lots of room for character development

Book is the mystery man, knows things he shouldn't about military stuff, tries to act as the shepherd to the crew-- who most of the time don't want him to--love to learn his back story.

I am so waiting for the film on Sept 30--I just hope it makes it to my town.
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Urpling on Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:26 pm

TINemo wrote:I think if you had seen more of the eps you would have a better feel for the relationships which are many and complex

...Kallie loves engines, adores her captain, would like to hook up with Simon and thinks Inaara is glamourous, and enjoys getting dressed up as a girl if the opportunity presents (Shindig)

...Zoe is a battle hardened warrior woman. madly in love with Wash but not about to be subservient to him, loyal to Mal to the death--even if she thinks he is wrong in his plans. Doesn't really fit in with the other women and womanly things, I can't imagine her in a dress

....River loves and trusts her brother, likes to play with kallie but is so confused she does weird things like slashing Jayne, probably having read what he was thinking at the time-- she has lots of room for character development

.....Book is the mystery man, knows things he shouldn't about military stuff, tries to act as the shepherd to the crew-- who most of the time don't want him to--love to learn his back story.

Love this synopsis.

What surprised me was how keen Zoë is to have a child. Now that doesn't fit the 'no-dress', warrior woman...or does it...??? (Certainly busts my stereotypes to bits! :D)

Kaylee isn't above a flirtatious romp...in the hay...erm...engine room...either!

Apparently River slashes Jayne's T-shirt because it's sporting the logo of her captors. River is Joss Whedon's ballet-dancing 'extensionalist' girl!

Book strikes me as being the 'moral conscience' of the crew, much as Zhaan was in Farscape and Daniel is in Stargate.

(did you notice how empowered River gets in the movie? She's positively Ninja!)

...and I'm...ah...feeling a bit naughty talking about another show... :oops:
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:55 pm

Actually I think Jayne has a "thing" for Kaylee. Remember when Kaylee was shot? Jayne crouched at the window outside the operating room in a very uncomfortable position - a place where noone would really notice him - but he was definitely concerned.

It also explains the depth of his animosity towards Simon and by extention River.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby TINemo on Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:49 pm

I don't think Zoe's wish for a child doesn't fit. No doubt her biological clock is ticking, although I have no idea how old her character is supposed to, and there seem to be few children in this "verse. You don't have to cook (I loathe it) or wear dresses ( very seldom) to nurture a child.

I didn't notice the logo on Jayne's shirt--I'll have to look, was it Blue sun? in the commentaries they mention there was much discussion about what shirt Jayne should wear each ep. As for Kaylee and him, I"m sure he wouldn't mind a roll in the engine room(but the fans would) but I also think he cares more for these peopele than his macho image will let him show.

And while I suppuse we could get shunted to a different thread, I can't find a whole lot to say these days about Farscape---wish we would get some NEWS!
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Urpling on Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:22 am

Firecracker wrote:Actually I think Jayne has a "thing" for Kaylee. Remember when Kaylee was shot? Jayne crouched at the window outside the operating room in a very uncomfortable position - a place where noone would really notice him - but he was definitely concerned.

It also explains the depth of his animosity towards Simon and by extention River.

I agree!

I love that little addition to the scene. It has pathos. Jayne not being able to show outright concern...having to hide like that. Chokes me.

Jewel Staite (Kaylee) herself highlights it, in a written commentary on the pilot episode, as being something that she loved. She feels that Kaylee might be the only person that Jayne feels he can trust. (She also explains how 'Mal' splits his pants as he leans over 'Kaylee' when she's shot...the beginning of 'Captain Tightpants', she reckons...which comes up in a line in Shindig...but the author herself thought that she originated it...but concedes that it could be a Zeitgeist thing!)
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby Urpling on Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:38 am

TINemo wrote:I don't think Zoe's wish for a child doesn't fit. No doubt her biological clock is ticking, although I have no idea how old her character is supposed to, and there seem to be few children in this "verse. You don't have to cook (I loathe it) or wear dresses ( very seldom) to nurture a child.

I didn't notice the logo on Jayne's shirt--I'll have to look, was it Blue sun? in the commentaries they mention there was much discussion about what shirt Jayne should wear each ep. As for Kaylee and him, I"m sure he wouldn't mind a roll in the engine room(but the fans would) but I also think he cares more for these peopele than his macho image will let him show.

And while I suppuse we could get shunted to a different thread, I can't find a whole lot to say these days about Farscape---wish we would get some NEWS!

Yep, T'mo! I am very glad that I have had to rethink the warrior-woman-has-babies thing. Can you imagine the wrath should anyone attempt to harm her and Wash's baby!

I love how Mal totally trusts Zoë and yet there is nothing overtly sexual getting in the way of their relationship. This despite her being a very a full-on, seductive, beauty.

And ooooohhhhh yeeeeahhhhh to some Farscape, 'old' cast/crew news.

Browder et al will be on summer hiatus about now or soon, won't they? Perhaps they'll been some time for interviews and other projects...news of some kind...pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top, somebody...?
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby OssianMacCoul on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:17 am

I think they could easily do a direct-to-dvd movie, perhaps a backstory or spin-off as people have suggested
'They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate.'
OssianMacCoul
Peacekeeper Commander

Re: Firefly movie a good sign for Farscape

Postby OssianMacCoul on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:45 pm

'They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate.'
OssianMacCoul
Peacekeeper Commander

Previous

Return to Future Farscape