Unrealized Realities

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Unrealized Realities

Postby Delvian Seeker on Sun May 22, 2005 11:11 am

I've just finished watching "Unrealized Reality" again and what a mind-blowing phenomenal episode it is!

It seems to build exponentially on the themes introduced in "Different Destinations" about how small changes in time can irretrievably alter the course of history.

Consider this unrealized reality:

What would happened if John's module had come out of the wormhole and collided with the Prowler flown by Crais' brother - only it was John's module that was destroyed???

How would this have impacted on the world of Farscape?

* Aeryn would never have been declared "irreversibly contaminated" and would've stayed a Peacekeeper soldier. She would've been instrumental in the recapture of Moya - and D'Argo, Rygel and Zhaan, and possibly even been promoted.

* Crais would've remained in charge of his command carrier, and Braca would've remained an underling.

* D'Argo, Rygel and Zhaan would've been transported to the lifer's prison colony and would probably have died there.

* Moya would be refitted with a control collar and would've died attempting to give birth to Talyn, taking Pilot with her.

* Chiana would've been taken back to Nebari Prime and mind-cleansed.

* Stark and Noranti would still be rotting in cells on the Gammak Base and the command carrier respectively.

* Scorpius would remain in command of the Gammak Base, trying but failing to crack the secret of wormholes.

* Jool would've been used for spare-part surgery by the Diagnosian and Grunchlk.

* Sikozu would've been killed by the Grudeks after leading them to the Leviathan burial grounds.

* Aeryn, Crais, Scorpius, Braca and Grayza would all have fought in the Sebacean-Scarran war - and possibly all would've been killed.

* The Uncharted Territories and the Sebacean homeworld would all be ruled by the Scarrans, who continue their expansion plans throughout the galaxy.

Small changes, big ripples.
Delvian Seeker
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Kheldrion Dawn on Sun May 22, 2005 1:39 pm

I just love thinking about what-if...

pretty grim, that reality.

How about:

- without Crichton Aeryn would never have escaped Moyas call, having her declared irreverably contaminated...again
- Moya then just starbursts into the uncharted territorries
- Aeryn comes around eventually, forming a close bond to D'Argo instead
- D'Argo falling in love with a peacekeeper again (Aeryn)
- D'Argo and Aeryn fleeing the destruction of the Scarren war first, then fighting together in a peacekeeper/luxan underground war against the Scarren Imperium, who is busy at that that time fighting off the encroaching Nebari, one of the Nebari commanders being the the evil and seductive Chiana

and so on :)
Choose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. - Richard Carlson
Kheldrion Dawn
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Delvian Seeker on Sun May 22, 2005 7:39 pm

I love the idea of an evil Chiana. It should've been done.
Delvian Seeker
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby BlackAdder on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:40 am

I put all that down to a theory most often referred to as "accident of birth". Things like Aeryn being Chiana, etc.

Accident of birth means simply this - I'm a white woman, born in the U.S. Now, had it not been for fate, destiny or "an accident of birth" I could have been born male and Korean. This works from a theory that detaches itself from predestination, as do most splinter universe theories.

That you...or in this case John...began as an energy directed into a life form.

That's part of what I loved about Unrealized Realities. It worked with the same sort of rule breaking theory of "accident of birth".

However, here's where my own acceptance gets blown apart. Einstein clearly tells John that there branches, off shoots etc. but seems to indicate that the ripple effect is dependent upon at what point John re-enter his own existing time line.

Then Einstein, in answer to John's question about never having been a Peace Keeper made me feel as if the "accident of birth" type of theory was actually what they were playing with when he replies that it could have been his reality.

There's also a theory that we choose our existence, the life we are born into. This hinges on believing in reincarnation and learning lessons through life as to why those choices are made.

Actually, there are several theories, belief systems from which to draw that make those progressions less jarring. Including Rygel being a cross between a Hyperian and a Luxan. Structure can be radically altered in alternate (or splinter) realities.

Nothing explains the Jool-D'Argo thing other than Anthony thought it would be fun to have breasts ;)
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Re: Unrealized Realities

Postby Firecracker on Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:20 pm

Delvian Seeker wrote:Consider this unrealized reality:

What would happened if John's module had come out of the wormhole and collided with the Prowler flown by Crais' brother - only it was John's module that was destroyed???

How would this have impacted on the world of Farscape?

* Aeryn would never have been declared "irreversibly contaminated" and would've stayed a Peacekeeper soldier. She would've been instrumental in the recapture of Moya - and D'Argo, Rygel and Zhaan, and possibly even been promoted.

Actually no. John was instrumental in helping Aeryn to escape Moya and land on that planet. I don't think that Aeryn would have been able to contact Crais and or help in the recapture of the Moyans. Not that time anyway.

What the Moyan's would have ultimately done with Aeryn however, is anyones guess. But Crais would not have caught them on that planet - and maybe would not have caught them at all.

Delvian Seeker wrote:* Stark and Noranti would still be rotting in cells on the Gammak Base and the command carrier respectively.

Yes to Stark, but we only have Noranti's word for it that she was actually a prisoner of the PK's on the command carrier. Noranti's past is very ambiguous. I am not entirely sure that story is true.

Delvian Seeker wrote:* Sikozu would've been killed by the Grudeks after leading them to the Leviathan burial grounds.

Sikozu very nearly escaped on her own and if Chiana hadn't interfered she would have secured a vessel off Elack and saved herself quite sucessfully.

Delvian Seeker wrote:* Aeryn, Crais, Scorpius, Braca and Grayza would all have fought in the Sebacean-Scarran war - and possibly all would've been killed.

Yep.

Delvian Seeker wrote:* The Uncharted Territories and the Sebacean homeworld would all be ruled by the Scarrans, who continue their expansion plans throughout the galaxy.

Yep.

Delvian Seeker wrote:Small changes, big ripples.

Yep.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby scapecadet on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:02 pm

- Moya's pregnancy would never have started, had D'Argo not kicked in the shield, so she would probably carry on surviving after recapture, unless Crais got around to investigating how come his experiment was not working.
- Peacekeeper/Scarran war - again, that may not have happened. As we know from PKW, Scorpius had a hand in provoking this war. He may not have been so keen, had he not gone through all that with John et al.
- Scorpius and wormholes - I don't think he was that interested in them. I believe he stumbled on this information accidentaly when torturing John in the Aurora chair...
I totally agree - ripples.. without them, the story would have been very different.

JC to Akhna: "It's a question of balls.. the ball is in his court!"

Claudia: Quit. Prompting.Me.Woman!? WOMAN!!??
scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Firecracker on Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:58 am

Wormholes were the research focus of the Gammak Base but Scorpy was nowhere near finding any breakthroughs. At least I don't think so.

Good point about D'Argo kicking in the PK shield preventing Talyn's conception. If they had been recaptured the shield would have probably remained undiscovered. Even if someone did spot it - PKs at that rank are trained not to ask questions and might well have considered that shield a "need to know" situation.

Mind you - I think the PK/Scarran war was inevitable. Scorpy said something about the Scarrans have prepared for years and years. So did Grand Chancellor Marik. Scorpy may have preciptated conflict between the Scarrans and the PKs but not by much. The Scarrans were already moving to take over the galaxy before Crichton ever appeared on the scene.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Re: Unrealized Realities

Postby Delvian Seeker on Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:31 am

Firecracker wrote:
Delvian Seeker wrote:

What the Moyan's would have ultimately done with Aeryn however, is anyones guess. But Crais would not have caught them on that planet - and maybe would not have caught them at all.

Here's a nasty thought - what if D'Argo, Rygel and Zhaan had decided to kill Aeryn/dump her out of an airlock?

Delvian Seeker wrote: * Sikozu would've been killed by the Grudeks after leading them to the Leviathan burial grounds.

Firecracker wrote:Sikozu very nearly escaped on her own and if Chiana hadn't interfered she would have secured a vessel off Elack and saved herself quite sucessfully.

Maybe, but she would still be exiled from her "organisation" and would still be pursued by the Grudeks - and she'd never have met Scorpius.
Delvian Seeker
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby lovingfarscape on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:55 am

i realised in this eppy that they show parts of kanas and terra firma did ne one else notice this???
i also realised that when he goes back into one of those spells, the one that has Sikozu and he shoots at her, well i noticed that she says weak species, in bad timing when john throws her and scopy out she says this again. Can someone help me piece this together. This eppy always throws my mind
thanks
this lavishly produced space adventure quickly established itself as the most irreverent, unpredictable, sexy, intelligent, and exciting sci-fi show on TV.Ben Browder and Claudia Black have incredible chemistry
lovingfarscape
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Firecracker on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:27 pm

lovingfarscape wrote:i realised in this eppy that they show parts of kanas and terra firma did ne one else notice this???

No. I missed that. When and where? Specifics please!!!

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Sandworm on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:36 pm

i also realised that when he goes back into one of those spells, the one that has Sikozu and he shoots at her, well i noticed that she says weak species, in bad timing when john throws her and scopy out she says this again.

Now, I'm not sure, because I never saw the ep, but didn't she say that in Crichton kicks?
ImageImage

Sikozu: "Do you have any plan of escape?"
Aeryn: "Run"
Sikozu: "Anything more detailed?"
Aeryn: "Run quickly" - Bringing home the Beacon

"I'm a damn scientist!" - John, Premiere

www.freewebs.com/farscapevirtualseason5
Virtual Season 5: The Peacekeeper Wars may be over, but the story continues.
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby BrentBarrett on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:00 pm

Sandworm wrote:
i also realised that when he goes back into one of those spells, the one that has Sikozu and he shoots at her, well i noticed that she says weak species, in bad timing when john throws her and scopy out she says this again.

Now, I'm not sure, because I never saw the ep, but didn't she say that in Crichton kicks?

I believe she only said it twice... UR and BT.
The John and Aeryn Site
http://www.johnaeryn.com

BrentBarrett
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Sandworm on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Oh, ok. I always assumed she had said it before. But then, I still haven't seen CK or WWL 1, so I can only guess half of what went on in those. synopses, however detailed, just aren't the same.
ImageImage

Sikozu: "Do you have any plan of escape?"
Aeryn: "Run"
Sikozu: "Anything more detailed?"
Aeryn: "Run quickly" - Bringing home the Beacon

"I'm a damn scientist!" - John, Premiere

www.freewebs.com/farscapevirtualseason5
Virtual Season 5: The Peacekeeper Wars may be over, but the story continues.
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby lovingfarscape on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:59 am

Firecracker i'll have to watch it again, although i have so many times lol.
get back to u on it
this lavishly produced space adventure quickly established itself as the most irreverent, unpredictable, sexy, intelligent, and exciting sci-fi show on TV.Ben Browder and Claudia Black have incredible chemistry
lovingfarscape
Delvian Pa'u

Postby lovingfarscape on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:19 am

also just a warning spoiler

in pkws they also repeat words said like when Scorpy has to say please with a cherry on top, also when john says something about the wormhole and how he is circling closer to the flame. Correct me if im wrong. I guess although the mini they repeat alot talking like aeryn saying its not worth johns life.
lovingfarscape
Delvian Pa'u

Next

Return to Episodes