Firefly movie a good sign for Farscape

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Ghost Spike on Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:06 am

Cardelia wrote:You've also got cinema junkies who'll go and see anything, not to mention other sci-fi fans who may well see trailers during Star Wars and H2G2, if Fox are smart (yeah, ok, that's Serenity doomed then ;)). The potential audience is out there, the film just has to be marketed properly.

Fortunately (in a way) Fox have absolutely no involvement in the Serenity as Universal bought the movie rights off them, movie rights which they were interested in before the DVDs, and which they wasted no time getting after the DVDs sold so well.

I believe quite a lot of it comes down to whether Star Wars sucks, which judging by the trailers, it doesn't, but if it's a bad film, are people going to rush out a few months later to see another "space movie". Also if Star Wars dissapoints millions of fans, and Serenity was trailed with it, that might put some of going to see it.

Cattivo wrote:When Serenity fails, it will be incredibly hard to convince those same investors that a Farscape film would be lucrative.

Bit pessimistic there, Universal are apparently satisfied with the movie, and believe it will do well, which is why all the actors are contracted for 2 and 3 if the picture makes more than the budget. I don't think studios would look at Firefly and Farscape as similar things, Farscape ran for four seasons and got cancelled, Firefly ran for 10 episodes, the themes of the series aren't that similar either, both have elements of several genres, but Firefly's a sci-fi/western, Farscape's very-sci-fi, one's crawling with aliens, the other has none.

TINemo wrote:although Josh Whelan's rep cetainly didn't hurt) and the latest guess is that it will premeire on or about Sept 20'

What is it about his name, Joss Whedon, it's not very hard. September 30th is current release date.

TINemo wrote:Did Serenity the movie use all the former cast? Talk about unknowns. I'm a fan and can barely remember all their names. What about the general public?

The movie uses all of the original cast, as Joss and the fans wouldn't have had it any other way, they were a great cast. Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Jewel Staite, Ron Glass, Alan Tudyk, Adam Baldwin, Sean Maher, Summer Glau and Morena Baccerin, other recurring characters from the series, aren't in the movie. Do we really live in a world where a film has to have big name stars to do well, if we do it's not like a Farscape film would do much better either.

I hope Serenity's enough of a success and Universal let Joss make his trilogy, then maybe Fox will be willing to give the TV series a second shot (Universal can't make a TV series if they wanted to, as Fox are keeping the rights for ten years).

Whatever Serenity does at the box office, theres a good chance Farscape wouldnt do as well, I love both shows, but Farscape has so much backstory, people might recommend it to friends for amazing special effects, but not having a bloody clue what was going on. I'd rather have more minis than a theatrical release, but I'm sure if that's the path they chose to take the fans would go enough times so it does respectably at the box office.
Ghost Spike
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby TINemo on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:27 am

Apologies to Josh. At least I got his first name and the first three letters of the second. I am notoriously bad with names.

I think you have to know some of the back story to get Firefly too. That's why they needed a two hour pilot--which unfortunately Fox didn't show till the end. It's somewhat difficult to figure out the Alliance and why Nathan et al are not on good terms with them. It's also confusing that the Alliance has high tech everything but the folks on the outer planets are riding horses and running cattle dressed like the 19th century. Then there is River and her back story and we never did find out Book's.

I think you could do Farscape(now that the mini tied up so many loose ends) starting most anywhere with a whole new story line--or they could follow Chianna to Rygel's planet and then segue to the Nebari revolution.

I personally would rather have several minis(that I could tape) than one movie I will have to go to the theatre to(hopefully) see if it gets decent distribution and promo.

As I said somewhere I'm still waiting to hear anything new on A Killer Within--indies have a hard time of it.
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Winona on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:39 pm

There is gonna be a trailer for this Firefly movie if anyone is interested read this...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/0 ... 6&from=rss

(ermm on Apple Movie Trailers did we not do this?)
"the 'right thing' starts at the beginning of the day... not after you have been caught" - John Crichton to Rygel - Family Ties S1.22
Winona
Nebari Snurcher

Postby TINemo on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:29 pm

I'd love to see it but couldn't find a link to do so----computer idiot that I am

Where on that page was I supposed toclick???? I read a lot of fun stuff but no trailer

Thanks
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby frscpe1 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

The trailer is supposed to be available around 4:00 p.m. eastern time, according to a few sources

Edited because 4 and 5 are not the same time.
frscpe1
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby TINemo on Mon May 02, 2005 3:02 am

Well apparently I missed it -- drat!
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby canberra_boy on Mon May 02, 2005 10:20 am

http://movies.apple.com/movies/universa ... y_ifs2.mov

The Fullscreen version of the Serenity trailer. It's about 40 MB, and there are light spoilers, but it looks AWESOME for an unfinished movie.
Sequel to PK Wars coming tomorrow! But tomorrow never comes ... :-(
canberra_boy
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby TINemo on Mon May 02, 2005 5:02 pm

maybe it's just me-- but that link didn't work either :cry:
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Winona on Mon May 02, 2005 10:56 pm

TINemo
Go to www.apple.com
then click on the quicktime icon.. you will see the Serenity banner (or the word Serenity in the exclusives list) on the left hand side.

alternativly http://movies.apple.com/quicktime/
"the 'right thing' starts at the beginning of the day... not after you have been caught" - John Crichton to Rygel - Family Ties S1.22
Winona
Nebari Snurcher

Postby TINemo on Tue May 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Thank you thank you

Like WOW man, SHINY!
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby OssianMacCoul on Sat May 07, 2005 1:52 pm

the firefly movie should be a big hit

very nice ideas went into that show 8)
'They have worlds out there, people that you wouldn't believe. But they do not have chocolate.'
OssianMacCoul
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby TINemo on Sat May 07, 2005 8:13 pm

One can only hope. And go see it if it comes somewhere near you(unlike Ben's movie A Killer Within which seems to have dropped off the face of the earth), Universal should have decent distribution though.

I'm hoping that the three Saturn awards won by PKWars and Ben and Claudia will spur Brian Henson on to making a movie too. Scifi's ownership by NBC Univ, should bring Universal into the pi cture--unless they think two SciFi movies are too many.

It's so hard to know what goes on in the minds of TPTB.
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Urpling on Sun May 08, 2005 10:31 am

MMMMmmm I was rather taken by Firefly...

...despite the odd Sci-fi/Western blend...(i.e. Joss's idea that it's humans that we will find in the future...populating all the moons and planets...and not aliens) and the fact that the Asian/American blend (Alliance/Blue Sun?) isn't represented in terms of lead actors, but only in lingo, props etc...and Joss's existential philosophy...(that I fear could be a totally isolating head-trip, if taken to extremes).

I loved the atmosphere of the Firefly production, a vague thing to pin-point...but Farscape had it too...(I hate having to use the past tense...'had it'...sucks, big time!!!)

Was it something to do with synchronous blend of totally committed actors and their sensibilities...ditto the writers/crew etc...all coming together...the 'bigger than the sum of it's parts' thing?

Hard to say...but there are definite parallels...at least from my end of the 'verse!

:D :D :D

PS I was lucky to miss the 'play it safe' fuck-up that Fox did to Firefly in terms of airing and direction. I saw the series on DVD...and damn glad I did too...I might never have stayed with it, if I had watched it on telly...not only that, I would have missed eps. too!
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby TINemo on Sun May 08, 2005 6:05 pm

I think you are probably right-- the whole greater then the sum of its parts

I saw several of Firefly's eps *live* as it were and the western bit put me off a bit. And the lack of anyone not obviously human(although perhaps in an altered state ie River) As I have written elsewhere the odds that there are nothing but humans anywhere seem slim.

But the overall brilliance of the cast, and the internally consistent universe in which they traveled, and Serenity as their Moya all appealed to me a lot.When the DVD came out I rushed to get it and am glad I did.

It's kind of like the original Dune book with this carefully constructed back story that is revealed bit by bit until it all makes sense. (Unfortunately around the fourth book, it sort of got all pear-shaped. I have enjoyed the prequels by Herbert's son, although they have now--with six books-- about beaten a dead horse to mush).

I'm really looking forward to the movie and the continuing story--- as I would be if Farscape went on in a movie or mini.
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Cardelia on Sun May 08, 2005 10:04 pm

TINemo wrote:I saw several of Firefly's eps *live* as it were and the western bit put me off a bit. And the lack of anyone not obviously human(although perhaps in an altered state ie River) As I have written elsewhere the odds that there are nothing but humans anywhere seem slim.

True, but what are the odds that alien life will not only have found us (or us it) in the next 500 years, but that it could be seen as 'natural' to have aliens wandering round the place? They'd be significantly shorter, I'd imagine. Of course it's entirely possible that had Firefly not been cancelled, we'd have seen first contact within the 'verse sometime during its run.
Cardelia
Luxan Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Future Farscape