Farscape: How do you think it should continue?

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

How do you think Farscape should continue?

1) A fifth season?
39%
2) A series of mini-series?
2%
3) A series of motion pictures?
No votes
4) A fifth season, followed by a series of miniseries?
No votes
5) A fifth season, then a series of miniseries, and finally a series of motion pictures?
28%
6) A fifth season followed by a series of motion pictures?
21%
7) A series of miniseries, followed by a series of motion pictures?
7%

Total votes : 38

Farscape: How do you think it should continue?

Postby Whitestar on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:20 pm

My girlfriend has recently introduced me to watching Farscape and we're just about done with season one. So far I really enjoy the character interactions, witty dialogue and good writing of the show. In addition, I like the dynamic of the show because it reminds me of the sci-fi classic british show, Blake's7. (By the way, Brain Henson based the Moya's crew dysfunctional interplay from Blake's 7.) Anyway, we're planning to getting seasons two, three, and four on DVD. And of course we look forward to watching the miniseries when it airs in October.

In one issue of the Sci-Fi Channel magazine, Brain Henson stated that if this new miniseries does well in the ratings, a series of miniseries or a series of motion pictures will follow. Its a great thing that Farscape is coming back , but now the question to address is what form or direction should it take? A fifth season? A series of miniseries or a series of motion pictures?

Personally, I would prefer a fifth and final season, then steer Farscape into moviedom, where Brian Henson and company will no doubt have the necessary budget to keep the saga going, and taking it into a new and interesting direction. One of the major reasons why the show was cancelled was due to budget contraints. Now the possibility of seeing a fifth season or motion picture is viable. What does everybody else thinks?

Whitestar

P.S. By the way, for those of you who are unfamilar with Blake's 7 and want to know more about it, here's an informative link:

http://www.blakes-7.co.uk/
Last edited by Whitestar on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Whitestar
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Emram on Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 pm

I know that a movie is one thing that Henson's were thinking about, but I personally can't see how it would work. Farscape has been running for such a long time now, that surely it would be impossible to introduce newcomers to the whole thing? But to simplify it, and make it more accessible for newcomers, would change the whole dynamic of the show.

Anyone out there who can answer this conundrum? I suppose they managed it with Star Trek, but most of the time, the film becomes a TV series, not the other way around.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby thoth on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:26 pm

Emram wrote:I know that a movie is one thing that Henson's were thinking about, but I personally can't see how it would work. Farscape has been running for such a long time now, that surely it would be impossible to introduce newcomers to the whole thing? But to simplify it, and make it more accessible for newcomers, would change the whole dynamic of the show.

Coincidentally enough, I just wrote some thoughts of mine on how a film might proceed taking Horizons and PK Wars into consideration in a speculation thread in the General Farscape forum. The reasoning behind my thinking of doing the Nebari is that they have been portrayed so rarely throughout the course of the show that a theatrical film release would have us no more in "the know" than anyone else. We'd all be on the same page and the writing would not have to be torn between satisfying fan familiarity and general audience unfamiliarity.

In fact, I'm playing "The Beauty of Gray" by LIVE on my comp right now. Yep, the Nebari will carry this franchise. :)
thoth
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Shardyk on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:16 pm

I want a fifth season! FARSCAPE EVERY WEEK!
Shardyk
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby chalou on Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:46 pm

A fifth season would be the best thing, but I personnaly think a cinema movie would destroy the very "essence" of farscape; farscape is not to be reduced to a single story that would fit in 90 minutes, that's what mainly killed the X files movie, and many more movies based on TV series: It is a format done to be seen as a TV format, not a Cinema one.
a French Farscape fan!!!!!
chalou
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Whitestar on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:37 pm

chalou wrote:A fifth season would be the best thing, but I personnaly think a cinema movie would destroy the very "essence" of farscape; farscape is not to be reduced to a single story that would fit in 90 minutes, that's what mainly killed the X files movie, and many more movies based on TV series: It is a format done to be seen as a TV format, not a Cinema one.

Believe me, I understand your concern. The Next Generation flick "Star Trek: Insurrection" was a motion picture that was depicted more like an episode of the series, as opposed to an epic movie. Then again, the other Next Generation flick, "Star Trek: First Contact" was based on the two-part episode entitled, "The Best of Both Worlds" and yet it felt like an epic film. Not only that, the movie was in itself a stand-alone picture. It wasn't necessary to see the two-part episode, when in fact the film covered just about everything for the general audience to enjoy. I do believe Brian Henson has this in mind, since it's apparent that he has hinted at a possible series of motion pictures. Time will tell. I have the utmost confidence in Brian Henson and his team. With the upcoming miniseries and possible series of motion pictures, its going to be very exciting.

Whitestar
Whitestar
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby BrentBarrett on Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am

My gut has always been that at this stage, a series of minis would do the best for most of us (fans and cast -- though crew would appreciate a regular series, I'm sure :-). A series is always on the chopping block because it's a big commitment for a network/channel. A movie would probably flop, as we are not a large enough fan base to make it profitable and if they make it too generic they risk ruining the magic of it all.
The John and Aeryn Site
http://www.johnaeryn.com

BrentBarrett
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Joolchi on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:08 am

Farscape should never end!!!!!!!! Only when we're all old and cant rememeber the eps. Then they can end it cos we'll watch the re runs and not realise they're re runs!

Farscape rocks our world! :!:
cross my heart, strike me dead stick a lobster on my head!
Joolchi
Delvian Pa'u

Postby BrentBarrett on Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:33 pm

But the only way to do that (keep Farscape on forever) would be to change the cast and/or characters ala Daytime Soap Operas. I don't think I would continue to watch it if they lost Claudia and Ben, for instance. The magic that attracted me to begin with was their chemistry. And since they would not want to do it for the rest of their lives, clearly, that kinda ruins that idea for me. :)

(Besides, there would come a point when the stories would become crap... Better to get enough to make us really like the whole story and then move on, possibly coming back from time to time with shorter stories in the form of movies/mini-series.)
The John and Aeryn Site
http://www.johnaeryn.com

BrentBarrett
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby aeryn_sun on Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:00 pm

BrentBarrett wrote:My gut has always been that at this stage, a series of minis would do the best for most of us

I agree with you there Brent.
Doing more mini's may be the best way to go, because were all excited about PK Wars well I am anyways. (I'm somewhat of a spoiler junkie and what I've seen / read so far. The mini looks bloody awesome).
aeryn_sun
Luxan Warrior

Postby Critical Mass on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:37 am

I think a couple years more in the series with a few minis thrown in and then a movie or two. Then the cast can come live with me (I will pay them handsomely) and I can have Farscape every night.

Then again I will take whatever I can get, as long as I can own a copy of it so I can see it whenever I feel the need.
Critical Mass
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

The shows future...

Postby Vis Major X on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:10 pm

I just want them to do what they did with Trek.. and I think we stand a really good chance of seeing that happen now.

I want spin offs, comic books, more games.. everything.

I need some merchendise... I only have one action figure of John in his Dambada outfit.

I want to maybe make some fan stuff too.. I just love this show.. IT IS THE ONLY (fiction) show on TV that I like.. though I'm trying to get in to SG1.
Vis Major X
Luxan Warrior

Postby Farscape Forever on Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:17 pm

As long as its Farscape, I dont care what format its in :lol:

I would imagine if farscape is going to continue then it would be with a motion picture even tho i am hoping it gets the ratings for a new season as motion pictures can occur afterwards as the other way round is highly unlikely.
Godlike aliens. Boy, do I hate godlike aliens. I'll take a critter over a godlike alien any time...
Farscape Forever
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Can farscape continue and how?

Postby helo_rn_scaper on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:02 pm

I think that Farscape should first have a fifth season. I think that there are story lines they can continue with....John and Aeryn and a family in tormented space for example. And, yes a full length movie would work with the right promotional push. It would create a larger fan base if people knew Farscape existed!!! I have a picture of "The Peacekeeper Wars" on my locker at work and other staff ask me all the time about Farscape because they don't know it even exists.
WE NEED TO SPREAD MORE OF THE WORD:FARSCAPE. IT LIVES- SEE IT IN OCTOBER.
"......you can be more." John to Aeryn
helo_rn_scaper
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby thechild on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:08 pm

I think we should have a fifth season. Farscape should never end it has so much potential. I could see it going kinda like star trek in the way that they could have a new story with a new crew or they could have a whole series of the galatic wars. Of course i dont want it to be like star trek because i hate it i just think it could be a template while keeping the farscape style.
thechild
Delvian Pa'u

Next

Return to Future Farscape