New Doctor Who S2 in US Spoilers

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

New Doctor Who S2 in US Spoilers

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm posting this topic seperately to discuss the episodes SciFi has aired in the US, since I and probably others have not seen all of season 2 whick aired in the UK.

I was sketical of having to get use to another Doctor so soon after Eccelston made his outstanding portrayal, but I'vce got tosay I like the new guy.

I'm not prepared to say David Tennant's any better than Eccelston. But he is just as good, and different enough to make his own mark on the franchise.

I love the end of Christmas Invasion, I like the idea of there being some tension between him and the Prime Minister, and with Torchwood. I hope she keeps her job, because it could make good drama, her and the Doctor in conflict over how to save the Earth.

No doubt we'll be hearing more from Torchwood too.

Liked the Invasion aliens too.

New Earth was also great. We finally get to see the Doctor and Rose go to another planet. The Nun/Cat/Nurses were great and everyone go to have fun playing Cassandra.

The writing seems even more assured this season, they seem to have more forward momentum and are less worried about keeping the audience up to speed, which I like, it allows for more immersion into the story.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Emeraldcity on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:31 pm

I love season two!! Now I have seen it so I won't spoil anything, but David Tennant gets better and better. One minute he has you laughing and the next you are on the verge of tears. And yes, it would probably be best that you keep the box of tissues handy, there is more than one teary episode.
www.peachtreeservices.net

The shopping cart is now up and running. Come see what the cast does in their off times, www.peachtreeservices.net/shop
Emeraldcity
Cast Convention Manager
Cast Convention Manager

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:51 pm

I love what he's done so far. And he's already started to show his ability to switch from umor to drama, which has been the greatest strength of the show it self. I have heard of some of the developments in this season, especially a few significant guest stars. One for the Buffy fans and another for fans of the original series.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this season develop, even as much as Battlestar and Lost, so far it hasn't dissapointed but exceeded my expectations.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby SunKrux on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:10 pm

David's smile - lights up his whole face. :D

Chris's smile - while nice...didn't have that quality, imho.

That's all I'm saying. I LOVE S2 and have already seen it as well.

EC's right...keep that tissue box VERY close by. ;)
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby Mreen on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:43 am

the rest of the local Doctor Who club makes fun of me tearing up at the these moments during our viewings... :P too bad
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Emeraldcity on Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:06 pm

Mreen wrote:the rest of the local Doctor Who club makes fun of me tearing up at the these moments during our viewings... :P too bad

Good Lord, you just can't help it!!!!! I am watching it all again and always make sure I have a box of tissues handy!! You have to! LOL LOL LOL
www.peachtreeservices.net

The shopping cart is now up and running. Come see what the cast does in their off times, www.peachtreeservices.net/shop
Emeraldcity
Cast Convention Manager
Cast Convention Manager

Postby Mreen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:54 am

well... I'm glad someone understands! Of couse, 60-70% of the club is male, so admitting to having tear ducts is unlawful to their code of conduct, I think.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:52 pm

I definitely liked the way he reacted to seeing the Sycorax ship destroyed and to seeing the engineered people in those tanks.

I'm looking forward to next week I've heard it's going to be a good one.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Mreen on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:27 am

I just loved those Sarah Jane moments - the way the two of them just looked at each other and knew...

And of course, the capper of dear Mickey's remark "Everyman's worst nightmare, the Mrs and the Ex!"

At least she has a new K-9 ... she's getting her own spin off series. but they are trying to make sure K-9 only appears in one ep, to avoid K9 and company part 2 associations....
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby KaraS on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:37 pm

I loved the moments between Sarah Jane and Rose. Their whole contest of one upsmanship, which Sarah Jane won when she said she'd seen the Loch Ness Monster, was so funny. And how they ended up laughing together and couldn't stop when the Doctor walked into the room.

Seeing Anthony Stewart Head as the villian was great fun too. He had said he wanted to play a vampire on Buffy, and now he got his chance to be the heavy, evil Giles if you will.

The CGI on the bat creatures was acceptable, but not great IMHO. They looked plastic. The CGI werewolf the week before was better.

And now we have Mickey making his first big trip in the Tardis. Rose didn't look too pleased. It seems that she was willing to share the Doctor with Sarah Jane and with Captain Jack, but not with Mickey. Or maybe she thinks that she's the one who'll be shared. Either way she had the sourest look on her face.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:29 pm

I loved this episode. Anthony Stewart Head was brilliant as the big evil. Very creepy. And Sarah Jane. She was outstanding. I agree the moments between her and Rose were great, and her scenes with the Doctor were beautiful. Elizabeth has definitely still got game.

David Tennant played the part where he explained why he left Sarah perfectly, very sad and touching, and it informed his moment of temptation near the end.

I kind of wished Sarah had stayed on, not permanently, but maybe two or three more episodes before leaving to start her own series.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually kind of like K9 especially when he's being condescending even to the Doctor, I always thought he was pretty funny if sometimes overused.

The one upsmanships between Sarah and Rose was hilarious. Though I thought Sarah might have mentioned Sutek the Osirun god who took over the Doctor and nearly destroyed the Earth, or that she not only saw the Daleks, she saw their creator Davros. I also thought iot was Jo Grant who faced the antimatter monsters in The Three Doctors. And do werewolves really trump dinosaurs, maybe it's just personal preference but dinosaurs seem way cooler to me.

Anyway brilliant episode, and Sarah Jane getting her own series is the best idea I've heard yet, can't wait to see what's next. Heard The Girl in the Fireplace was extra special, but that's all I've heard.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:41 pm

By the way, I think Mickey's role in the series bares a far stronger resembleance to Harry Sullivan than K9. He was the nice guy that was in way over his head, a thing the Doctor delighted in reminding him of. But Harry wass kind of the audience perspective and that's what Mickey is too.

K9 was the know it all with the wicked laser and the battery that they seriously should have replaced much earlier in the series.

I mean how many times did he run out of power in the original series, itb was like a theme with him. Hook him up to a running car or something please.

I do love that scene between him and K9.

Do you have a lock pick or something?

We are in a car.

Something to get that door open?

We are in a car.

Fat lot of good you are. Wait, I'm in a car.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby KaraS on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:47 pm

The whole episode was full of really terrific character moments. (I liked the conversation between Sara Jane and Mickey too.) So much so that the main story tended to get a little overshadowed. It wasn't so much about the Doctor defeating the bat people with a little help from Sarah Jane as it was about the Doctor and Rose running into Sarah Jane and K9 and oh yeah, there were some bat people too. But that's ok. If it were a universe threatening peril every week it would get a little dull.

(OK, I never really took the threat that the bat people represented seriously. Aliens disguised as school nurses and cafeteria personel? Corrupting our youth by making them smarter? Remaking the universe using a hidden numerical code? Have they been talking to Charlie on Numb3rs?)
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:41 am

Who do you think gave them the idea?

And it was so wonderful to see them together again! You can tell this Doctor is such a fan of 'Sarah Jane Smith' too, he couldnt wait to meet her!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby scaperfan on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:42 pm

[removed]
Last edited by scaperfan on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal: "It ain't all buttons and charts little Albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Well I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say."
River: "I do, but I like to hear you say it."
Mal: "Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she ain't keepin' up just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her up when she ought to fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens, makes her home."
River: "Storm's getting worse."
Mal: "We'll pass through it soon enough."
scaperfan
Kalish Resistance

Next

Return to Other Shows