OFFICIAL: Season 1 Heroes Discussion Thread!

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby sleeper on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:31 am

That might be how Peter loses control in that having all the Heros including Sylar in one place could just overwhelm him. Well Peter somehow survives .... per Future Hiro.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:52 am

Sylar himself is never in the dream, tho Mohinder, and Sylar's almost symbolic substitute Nathan are...

I think the Peter vs Sylar showdown that we are waiting for is a season 2 thing.

Besides - I dont think Sylar wants Peter's power because it would require him to empathize with his victims. I thought Sylar wasnt after Peter because the blending ability hid itself so well that it wasnt on the list, but now we know it is... Sylar didnt really have time to take Peter's brain withthe manhunt on, but I still feel like he bypassed it on purpose, with some disdain. That's why he replaced Nathan in the dream, to scornfully put Peter down, I thought.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:10 am

Hey, it just occurred to me that Eden's power may not be completely lost. She was in the apartment with Peter and Mohinder and was the one pushing Mohinder to listen to Peter and what he had to say. Peter would have no way of knowing he has that power - he could accidently call on it, or even during the potential meetup with Mohinder and Sylar and Peter, the details of her death being somehow due to Sylar might come out, and Peter -triggered to think of her - could accidently access her power.

Just a thought.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby chryse on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:22 am

good catch Mreen!

read on another board "... Sylar killed Furlow..." LOL

I think I sympathize a lot with Matt partly because SO is dyslexic, SO's best friend is a cop and i used tutor someone with learning disabilities. Life is rough enough as it is for them, never mind having superpowers that no one really believes you have.

May have to watch the pilot again to see about that Israeli bombing. How do you find all this stuff mreen?

I think Sylar missed Peter's powers period. He doesn't seem to be able to focus on more than one thing/person at a time. He wanted Claire's power, and wasn't expecting, and so wasn't looking, for another super to show up. And he was easily misled to believe that it was Jackie who had the power, not Claire, so he's not infalliable either. Peter definitely has the more powerful power, he doesn't have to know who has the power or even what it is to copy it to himself, he doesn't even do it consciously. Thank the gods that Peter is a good guy... the world would be in deep sh*t if it was Sylar.
Too many clicks spoil the browse......
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mreen on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:59 pm

lol- I didnt post it, but I was actually thinking the Furlow comment as well - so its not just me!

How did I find it?

Probably bcs I finally found the original pilot, released in viral form for the publicity, and then when it aired, I liked to compare the two versions to note the differences. So I probably watched both a couple times. Or more <g>

Plus my original was really bad with skipping and such (finally burnt a better copy later) leading me to think sometimes one thing was happening when it was something else, so I oftened ended up puzzling over the dark scenes in Isaacs apartment, trying to figure out what I was supposed to be seeing. Several of the pics he painted played out in the opening ep or two, but I often wondered when the rest were going to come into play.
Last edited by Mreen on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby KaraS on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 pm

Mreen wrote:Sylar himself is never in the dream, tho Mohinder, and Sylar's almost symbolic substitute Nathan are...

I think the Peter vs Sylar showdown that we are waiting for is a season 2 thing.

Besides - I dont think Sylar wants Peter's power because it would require him to empathize with his victims. I thought Sylar wasnt after Peter because the blending ability hid itself so well that it wasnt on the list, but now we know it is... Sylar didnt really have time to take Peter's brain withthe manhunt on, but I still feel like he bypassed it on purpose, with some disdain. That's why he replaced Nathan in the dream, to scornfully put Peter down, I thought.

Sylar doesn't have The List. Or why would he need to follow Mohinder around, killing the people Mohinder interviews? Sylar must have some other method of locating people with powers for him to steal. Perhaps that is one of the pwers he stole from someone else.

And if Peter was on The List, why was Mohinder so disparaging when Peter first contacted him? I think Nathan is on the list, but not Peter.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 pm

I was going with Peter not being on the list. too, till they said he was.
Here's the list has gone so far:

Mohinder didnt have the list till after he came back from India, otherwise he'd have grabbed Peter as a subject. He had a partial list from original map w strings showing each targets link to the others with notes,in his father's India apartment,(from at least 6m ago or more) from the photo he took of it.

Sylar had the list, or at least 'a' list from Mohinder's father. (HRG had Evil Waif remove Claires name/pic from the list as her first mission, so Syler wouldnt have had Claire on it) When Mohinder broke into his apartment he found Sylar had the same map, much more complete and this time with photos of many of the targets. Nathan's picture was the largest, being taken from some election brochure, which was why Mohinder went to warn him first. (and promptly felt he'd humiliated himself and was following a mad quest and thus was not interested in Nathan's lesser, nuttier, relatives with 'sometimes I have powers too' story)

If Sylar had Nathan's name, he'd have had Peter's, tho probably no photo. He wouldnt have realized Peter was Peter, but he can sense people with powers, his ability allows him see what is in their brain that makes them special, and how to fix it so he has their powers. I assumed he knew what Peter and Nathan could do, since Chandra apparently had their powers all listed out, to his best guess, and he wanted Nathan's abilty to fly, but would consider some empath to be a downside of power.

Or maybe he just didnt understand all an empath would entail, but Mohinder seemed pretty sure about how it worked after reading the original computer list, so I dont know how Sylar would miss that when he stole the list. If Peter had simply not been on list, if his ability had been masked, I agree all would make more sense, but that's not the way they chose to go with the story. When Nathan came to Mohinder to find Peter, Mohinder told him that Peter was on the list as well as Nathan.
Last edited by Mreen on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby sleeper on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:55 pm

Peter's ability to turn invisible vs. Sylar's hearing ability.... can't wait for them to meet again. :twisted:

Could Sylar be the one that explodes.... if he takes RM's powers, can Sylar control it.
sleeper
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mreen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:51 am

Well, if Sylar found a way to kill Radiation Man that didnt cause him to explode .. maybe. Of course, with one villain knocking off another (Radiation Man is continuing his journey over the edge, putting him more toward the villain character than victim at the moment) that eliminates another fight sequence .. if Peter only has to stop Sylar and not Radiation Man .. well, then they'll have to find a whole new plot for season 2 <g>

What's interesting is that Peter also hasnt seen Radiation Man in his dreams, his dreams all focus on how to control his own power to stop the 'bomb', none of them tell him to avoid Radiation Man. (So, potentially it could be Sylar, no reason for it not to be for the continuity) He only sees the other supers racing away, Mohinder smiling, then racing away, Matt the traffic cop urging everyone away, Claire/cheerleader runs to him, apologizes and runs away (which reminds me of the rules of Pangerian Pangalactic Hockey, but never mind) and then only Simone and Nathan advance toward him. Isaac always takes Simone away, and Nathan looms rather menacingly, despite the dialogue being friendly.
Peter says he cant control 'his' power, Nathan refuses to leave.
Sometimes we see Claude Raines The Invisible Man (I cant believe they are actually calling him that .. I could see Chris was joking when he said it, but HRG seemed quite serious!) laughing or committing the crimes Peter saw him commit already ..

I think we need a new dream sequence with more clues now, :) this one's been used up!

But we never see Radiation Man or Sylar. (Or even HRG or Blink) Maybe because none of them represent the solution, and his dreams only give him the pieces he needs to make things work, and leaves out all the other dangers involved. So if HRG gets hold of Peter, he's going to make things worse. (Well, duh, after he programmed Isaac to kill him.)

I wonder if Isaac lets himself be killed? When Hiro found his body in ep 2 there was a huge painting of a gun going off with the bullets flying straight up - I always thought it was Sylar stopping the bullets before he killed Isaac, but maybe its about Isaac and Peter. Maybe Isaac is willing to let Sylar kill him after what he did.

I know Hiro wasnt allowed to save Charlie, but I wonder if Peter could just run time backwards and save Simone by lifting the bullets out of the air before they hit her - Hiro was able to send that bullet backwards in time, but nothing else. (I'm reaching, I realize, but I still want to find some loophole to save Simone. Even if it isnt possible.) If that works, then Isaac will leave Peter alone and just try and keep Simone temporarily away from him, as in drive her out of town, even if just till after the 8th. Peter might go along with that, if they can save her.

The fight between Peter and Sylar could be awesome - we have the hearing ability, Peter has invisibilty, plus, if he gets close to Sylar he'll have the hearing ability but probably no way to control it - both have the 'Big Voice' ability, and can hurl objects across a room with speed and accuracy enough to make Vader jealous. Peter has the abilities Sylar craves, the healing, the flight (tho Sylar's leviation makes it hardly necessary) and Peter may even pull Eden's abiltiy out of a hat. Sylar, tho, has been working with controlling multiple ablities longer and can absorb and use them faster than Peter does.

It may take more than one round or two for one of them to finish the other off...
Last edited by Mreen on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby KaraS on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Peter also has Matt's telepathy.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby chryse on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:43 am

I remember, when we first saw the List, several eps ago, there was only 1 Petrelli, and it was Nathan.

Obviously, as the program continues to run, there will be more names added to the list, and the list itself, back then and now, doesn't have to be in alphabetical order. It could be in numerical order, as in birth years, or the order in which the DNA was added to the Human Genome Project. There are any number of reasons why Peter's name wasn't on the list that Sylar saw.

Can hardly wait for the ep tonight. Finally, some answers! :D
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mreen on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 am

When did we ever see the list? As far as I've seen they only showed a few names for dramatic effect, no full list. All we know is that Mohinder said Peter was on it.

We can hope Sylar overlooks Peter -his dreamself certainly was disgusted with Peter, saw him as pathetic, ... but ... when would we know?

Besides, if Sylar is using Mohinder to get himself in the door and hear more about the powers before he takes them, Mohinder knows about Peter and is likely to give him away.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Well!

Postby Mreen on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:54 am

So Claude was former employee - see, I pegged him more as the ever running victim than ever an employee. But I guess if the vivasections were keeping him up at night, he'd know about the nightmares he was running from.

Interesting choice to save the Hatian and pair him up with Claire - perfect, but I'm surprised the Haitian didnt just erase Tommy Boy's afternoon and have him think he was knocked out in the blast.

Matt .. well, I knew he was being groomed for HRG .. I just didnt realize they always had an assistant 'mutant' to keep them honest.

HRG is going to be a lot worse now - Claire was his achilles heel, the one that made him question what he did, just a little bit, and made him reluctant to take out everyone with a power in such a cold manner. If he doesnt remember her very well, he's not going to have any more sympathy for 'one of them'.

And SULU was one of the company!! Hiro was being raised around the kidnappers and vivasectectors, his own dad, and he never knew it! No wonder Mr Nakamura refused to acknowlege Hiro's rediculous quest to save the world - he was doing exactly what Mr Bennet does, hiding his son in plain sight! So long as Dad put it out that his son was indulging himself in an elaborate roleplaying fantasy, no one was going to buy the time travel bit seriously. HRG was too low on the totem pole to make a diffence, plus he never had the name from Eden/Waif, and if Isaac named him, he might also have mentioned that Hiro said his powers were suddenly gone. HRG was surely not fool enough to mess around with Hiro Nakamura, he'd be smart enough to just pass the rumors on up the food chain and let Daddy Nakamura clean up his own mess.

Claire on the run with the Haitian, Claude actually standing up for someone in the past?, Daddy HRG being pruned back into company man mode and who knows what happening to his wife and son while Matt is being molded into the same clay.. I only have question left burning from this ep -

we ended last week with Wireless in the house, Matt, Radation Man and Wireless closing on the Bennet family.. suddenly she was no longer there? The conversation between Claire and Dad was changed too.. what happened? Did Hiro restart the day over and forget to put Wireless back?

And the young lady examing Matt - ...Jean Grey?

And just who is Tommy Boy really, Linderman or Linderman's left hand man? and is he over or under Nakamura, (who I am reestablishing my old theory that Nakamura is Linderman's equal in the arena .. only now he's playing a much larger game than we thought!)..

Glad we got to see Takai's Nakamura again - this time a little more fleshed out, even if only in black and white. :wink:
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Of course, I'm esp looking forward to Chryse translating the untranslated thoughts of HRG when he was blocking Matt by thinking Japanese.

(I wondered if that would work - of course, I was thinking about Matt meeting Hiro and Ando, if he could translate thoughts they hadnt put in English and break the language barrier. Now it looks like Matt's going to have to learn Japanese <g> some year)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby chryse on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:35 pm

quick thoughts from work....

gah. soooo many commercials!

re; the list
yes we only glimpsed it, but those glimpses never had Peter's name. There are screen caps out there where you can read what was shown.

You can't think in Japanese unless you are Japanese. Something the writers, not being bilingual understand fully, I think. To think in a second language, you first have to think about what you need to say then translate. I have to do that to speak Japanese, or think it. My mom has to do it the other way to speak English. It shouldn't have worked, except that Matt doesn't really know how to use his powers yet, he's been too busy trying to suppress it instead.

Nakamura-san! You know about the supers? HAH! Batchi! (bad luck you brought upon yourself!)

Hiro-chan ga kawaii na! (Hiro is cute as a kid)

Wasn't Jean Grey Wireless girl?

Didn't the "Mutant Registry" from X-men resonate in this ep (and that's being kind)?

Must watch again to "hear" Bennett's Japanese thoughts. His accent is terrible, so it's hard to understand. LOL
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows