OFFICIAL Stargate Atlantis -SPOILERS

Talk about any show under the sun, genre or not.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby BlackAdder on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:31 pm

He actually has shown claustrophobia but phobias as opposed to depseated terror, honestly, not sure which would win out realistically.

I liked what they did with Rodney in this because his fear is actually based in not being able to complete a task that will save everyone. That's why I found his humane response to others in this to be so interesting.

It just made me wonder if the audience truly knows Rodney yet, and more importantly if he knows himself.

But I'm not sure that failure at a chosen profession was at the root of Carson's reaction either. Carson's worked the hardest at trying to make the retro virus work. Loss of life isn't just part of the hpyocratic oath to him, it seems to genuinely strike him as obscene.

I think one way to handle Rodney's perceived failure triggering fears would have been for all the claustrophia begin to manifest more and more as things (from his perception) don't work. That would have been fascinating to see but I still like how it was presented better for a reason.

However, I really did like this episode because whereas Carson, Ronan and to an extent John reacted in ways that were easy to call. Seeing Rodney's well covered in most situations deepseated bravery, and seeing him act compassionately did not come completely out of left field and it still wasn't what I was expecting.

That drew my attention far more than the endless interaction with laptops. It was watching the different ways that Rodney, the emotional side, the feeling side, showed up that really surprised me.

I think the writers chose the harder route. As soon as Rodney said "God, no, I would never do that." I was really just riveted because we've seen Rodney do exactly that. The beacon, generator stripped away all of his posings to the extent that he didn't even realize he had them.

I figured he'd have the biggest meltdown of all, end up being chased by a giant lemon or something truly silly but they stuck with his emotional construct.

I'm not even sure that his reaction in the cave was about him, he knows that they are all going to end up dead if he doesn't fix this thing. I found it impressive the way that in that state he tries to get help.

Undiluted or altered Rodney asking for help? Very rarely a factor in the story. It was also one of the things that made me think "God, whatever that is, it must be torturous."

Same with Ronan seeing Teyla for herself. They took harder routes than I expected.

Actually, it was John's "Vet flashes back to a combat situation in which he couldn't save a comrade." that seemed the most hackneyed.

But I did like that it fit with theme for nearly everyone. The first thing they are afraid of is not being able to save each other. Not their own skins.

Which is why the other SGA soldier was a bit hard to watch and the bodies on the ground even indicated that normally, fears turn against the other people there with you.

It just made the team seem stronger. They only one that immediately runs off by himself is Ronan but that fit his character, and I was surprised that he was able to see Teyla through his fear.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Postby KaraS on Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:41 pm

Well, Ronan and Sheppard saw eachother as enemies and ended up shooting at eachother, just as, I assume, Major Leonard saw the other members of his squad as Snubis' supersoldiers. We don't know that he didn't shoot the members of his team thinking he was protecting his team, or that he didn't blow himself up because he didn't want to be captured and tortured and end up giving away sensitive information.

Sheppard saw McKay as an enemy and ended up shooting him to protect Teyla/Cpt Whoever (didn't get the name. Harmon?)

And if the gizmo blew up, it would stop giving off the destructive vibes so that would actually be a good thing.

As for being chased by giant lemons, I don't think that was ever a possibility. It would be interesting to see what actually happens to McKay when he is exposed to citrus and wether or not he is really "deadly" alergic or wether he is exagerating a little.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby BlackAdder on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:56 pm

:) I don't think it was a real possibility either, KaraS. Just overstating something for emphasis on that one. That in the case of Rodney they reall could have taken it too far very easily and into the land of the near absurd. Although, it still makes me smile to think of a costumer and makeup person working together "We need the rind to look more menacing.....huh....maybe some mold. Rodney's probably terrified of mold." ;)

I agree entirely, the soldiers and the dead bodies littering the ground? I don't think that anyone thought "Hey, I'll stab Craft. He seems a threat!" But instead their mind manifested something like that person's equivalent of a Wraith or one Anubis' Super Soldiers.

But there is something of a difference. Each SGA member had at least one person that could reach through the delusional wall for them. I think in time that ability would have been eroded and rendered null. We saw the beginnings of that. But I enjoyed watching it explored.

For instance, Carson never truly sees an exterior threat. It was interesting that even his delusions were bent on saving that soldiers life. I think he fled Beckett because he wasn't even sure Becket was real any longer.

I'd actually love to see McKay's phobias and allergies explored a little more in the future. I'd like to know if some of things he professes, like the citrus allergy, are actually another coping mechanism he has built around himself to hide insecurities he can't admit to having.

Like, how his behavior alters around Sam. That strikes as an unconcious behavior pattern, when his ego is threatened he retreats into this abrasive persona.

On a different note and having to do with the promo. I thing SGA must have dipped into the "recycle" pool because that was the young version of Leina (Destroyer of Worlds, the Great Destroyer) that I referenced in the SG1 thread about a week ago in SGA's promo.

That one sort of left me scratching my head. I hope that it isn't Leina.

Also, looking over the SciFi schedule it looks like new episodes don't retun until March after this break. Nice to see that Mark and Bonnie ("Women don't watch SciFi.") are still the tag team of Hubris afoot.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Postby KaraS on Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:28 pm

Something that occurred to me, since Sheppard saw a featureless desert but was actually running through a forest, why didn't he keep bumping into the trees he didn't see?
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:00 am

He was trapped in a small metal box with a limited amount of air and a lot of increasing water pressure - of course his claustrophia kicked in!

An aboveground well lit cave that doesnt even have door to shut, just an open entrance to the air, and lots of technology inside for him to play with .. that's not going to set him off.

Incidently - this was one ep where the reuse of that caveset really stuck out. Everytime I saw it, I was saying "Hey, that's the cave Shepard went into in the arachnidwhatever bug ep! That's the walls and floor that was covered in bugs with much darker lightng!" or approaching from another angle towards the end "That's the cave with the time differential diffence"

It was a little distracting - altho the planets were always 'very similar' its never really been so obviously the same place before .. but the writing was good enough that I was able to move past that in the end. I think maybe they need to decorate the cave a little differently next time maybe tho...
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby KaraS on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:28 am

Ahem, spoilers
X
X
X
X
X
X
X

Ah, the half season cliff hanger. That episode rocked. Ancients reposess Atlantis and kick our heros to the curb. Sheppard and Beckett go to work for General Landry, Rodney goes back to Area 51 and, though he gets everything he used to want (a huge lab, a staff of fawning sychophants) he's miserable. Weir sinks into depression and hides in her appartment. Woolsey and General O'Neill were staying in Atlantis to be ambassadors to the Ancients when, Oh No! replicators attack.

Teyla and Ronon go with the Athosians who were also kicked out of their homes on the Atlantis planet (and what IS the name of that planet anyway?). They were being offered the deal they couldn't refuse by the Geni when Sheppard and company showed up to ask them to help save Atlantis. Did anybody really think they could say no? Did anybody really think Ronon could settle down and grow beans? Can we live with the suspense unitl March?

This episode had many really good parts. The beginning where McKay explains the workings of the new stargate bridge and preens and demands adoration from the masses. The scene in Sheppard's room when he says goodbye to Teyla and Ronon. The phone call between Sheppard and McKay. The dinner in the resturant when 4 good friends got together and Beckett was the only one who didn't bring his cell phone *snicker*. Beckett lamenting the probable sad fate of his pet turtles if he can't return to Earth to take care of them. Boy am I glad I've got this one on tape...
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:36 pm

I agree, great episode.

Love the idea of Shapphard, Weir and co having to take back Atlantis from the replicators. Love a good storm-the-castle. And they might come out of it with a new ZPM and a warship.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Mreen on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:07 am

*still secretly dying of hysteria at the thought of Rodney being chased by the giant lemon - probably the minutemaid mascot offering coupons....*

Oh yes, I did like this weeks ep too- lots of good stuff.

Poor Becket - this is a growing theme for him. First he fails Ford, in his recovery room, he ends up giving him the adrenline mix and Ford runs off forever, a lost addict in the woods, chasing his mad quest to prove himself to everyone. Then he fails Michael, the first victory in his quest to free the Wraith from their 'unnatural state' (his perception) and allow them to become humans. Michael becomes a tortured soul seeking freedom from his captors who would destroy all he was without hesitation, the Michael becomes one of hundreds of others in Becketts care who all end up either becoming wraith or wraithfood.

And now, the latest to enter Becketts care? The turtles. Those poor, doomed, baby turtles....
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby BlackAdder on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:42 pm

Hee hee. Yup, Minutemaid phobia! Rodney's worst day in the produce section and all that ;)

Okay, keep in mind that I am spoiler free as ever for SGA but did anyone think that Beckett was a tad out of character in this? His bemoaning the fate of the turtles was funny but since they are off to face gloom and peril something about the line bugged me to the extent that I was mumbling this about "Carson, steer clear of the red shirt costuming area!"

Sorry, probably me just being a bit edgy because that was rather hanging style cliff there at the end. Although the set up with Jack seems to indicate that the next season will open with someone have fingers withdrawn from their brain (although it could be a straightforward story telling device, it seemed heavy on the surreal to me). It is nice that they've stuck to the vibe of Ancients not being all that darned enlightened when they were corporeal there is something about their extreme snippiness that just makes me laugh. It works but it's a delightful source of humor.

I do think the prior episodes this season set this up perfectly as a reasonably dynamic. End of season two, I wouldn't have believed that they were all that sincerely attached to each other. In this episode though it seemed organic and fit with what we have seen.

My favorite part was Becket in Elizabeth's apartment, she's so schlepy and depressed, cleaning away the containers of days worth of food. It was a kind of grungy, semi-gross peek into the world of real emotional response. I like that they can do this with Elizabeth's character. She can be a tower of strength or a sitting around, down in the dumps, struggling to cope.

The funniest moment was when Teyla still had Ronan tagging around with her. I realize they wanted to show the attachement they all formed on Atlantis without scream ship but it was funny. They seemed almost like siblings quarreling.

Good episode. I hope the series picks up some viewers, the villain roll call is constantly expanding, there's a lot of promise for this series.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Mreen on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:59 pm

well, different tastes .. I thought the baby turtles being added to the long list of failed patients of Beckett's was a lot funnier than Ronan still linked at the hip to Teyla....

It took me a while to get time to watch this ep so I kept seeing bits of it .. I thought for sure it was all just another replicator dream, but I guess they are really playng it out ...
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby KaraS on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:06 pm

I'd be awfully disappointed if it were another replicator dream. They did that just a few eps ago.

I've never gotten the feeling that they were trying to ship Ronon and Teyla. The sibling relationship is much more acurate. But with his planet destroyed and his people dead, where else did Ronon have to go? And why shouldn't Teyla's people welcome him among themselves?

I thought it interesting that Layden Radeen came himself to try to recruit them. As leader of the Geni he should have sent a representative. It's not like they actually like him or would be more swayed by him than a proxy. He must want them really badly and I wouldn't think it was to their advantage.

As for Beckett's turtles, he was probably obsessing about them to try not to think about the fact that 6 people were going to take on a whole city of powerful replicators who would have no more problem killing him than squashing a bug. I'd be nervous too.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:58 am

Are you kidding? They've been shipping Ronan and Teyla since his second ep - she likes his muscles big time and is more than a little flattered, and he is very very interested - but when he tries to get too protective over her she wont put up with it. It was more season 2 thing than this season, but for a gate show its as blatent as it gets.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Re: OFFICIAL Stargate Atlantis -SPOILERS

Postby KaraS on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:11 pm

:x And Stargate Atlantis has been cancelled. So they can make Atlantis movies.

Personally, I'd prefer 20 episodes of series than two DVD movies.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm

I know- they are doing a new SG series instead. [speculation]It wouldnt surprise me if the new series is made in the US instead of Canada. With the rising Canadian dollar and falling US dollar, all the reasons they made it in Canada (cheaper cheaper cheaper) have faded, and they look to make a quick fix by going to cheaper by a few movies, and the move. I dont think it's the brightest move, as the dollar will fluxuate for a while, and eventually go the other way, but Sci-Fi channel accounting decisions are usually pretty short sighted.

Mind you, with all the sets they already have in Canada, I could see more being done with them.[/speculation]
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:30 pm

I thought the season finale was alright. (heavy spoilers for the last 2 eps, I'll warn you now) I enjoyed the Vegas ep as a bit of a break from the norm, but I kept feeling like I was missing something <g> as they were clearly riffing on shows that I would never watch.

Also, whoever did the freeze frame to black and white images ...I'm just sure that whatever show they were spoofing did it a bit smoother than that! It seemed jarringly off pace. Other than that, pretty fun. The rock and roll Wraith were pretty funny.

The finale - San Francisco again! Just need some whales from Star Trek 4 to complete the picture <g> But I think Ronan's right, SGC seems to regard Atlantis as 'coming home' and are completely ignoring their responsibility to the Pegasus. It really is their job to see the Wraith stopped there, and the only way to be sure their own galaxy doesnt become infested. (Well, they are insects.)

Hopefully their first film isnt about Wraith infesting the Milky Way. That would be too depressing - they just dropped the snake folk, have been nearly wiped out by the Ori, and don't need the Wraith poaching in on them as well. Surely the Pegasus Galaxy will get to keep it's own villians.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows