OFFICIAL: UK/AUS non-US FS DVD Discussion Thread

Discuss any and all Farscape merchandise.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

OFFICIAL: UK/AUS non-US FS DVD Discussion Thread

Postby Serenity on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:28 pm

Mod Edit: SunKrux
Please use this thread from now on to:

1- Ask ANY questions you have about UK/AUS non-US editions of the DVDs.
2 - Rant about any problems you've had with any DVDs.
3- DVD recommendations you have
4 - Commentary questions or bonus finds/Easter Eggs on DVDs

Thank you! :D

I could get the Australian Region 4 sets pretty cheaply. But I'm wondering what the difference is compared to the UK sets

The UK boxes seem to be very big in size and contain 10 DVDs. That's a lot for just 22 episodes. I guess they're just the individual 2 disc (?) releases packaged together.
The RC4 sets only have 6 DVDs which is normal with about 4 episodes per disc.

So do the UK sets have better picture quality? More extras?
I tried to some research, but all I found was a comparison of the audio commentaries and that the RC4 Season 1 set doesn't have any.

I greatly prefer the UK cover art, but that's a minor consideration when it comes down to money :)

I know the Starburst editions are the best for extras, but I'm not too keen on those anyways
Serenity
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Tiberius on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 am

I know that there is sound difference between regions 1 to 2, which i noticed esp with Peacekeeper wars.

Region 2 played normally. Region 1 the audio was down a pitch and the actors appeared to talk slower and more lethargic (I notice this between all region 1 and 2 series, esp Buffy and Angel).

Wondering if its the same diffo between regions 2 and 4 as well. They could sound like they are on helium (just make sure its not a scene where rygel passes gas that you test it out on lol) :)
Tiberius
Luxan Warrior

Postby Serenity on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 am

Region 2 and 4 should be the same in that area, because they're both PAL
Serenity
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:15 pm

with Region 2 of Peacekeeprs Wars the only dofference I found is the extras. There are more extras in Region 2 than in Region 1. I think that answers the question about the number of dvd's in eack package.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Unplayable dvds

Postby scaperocks on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:40 pm

I have been a farscape fan since it first appeared in the UK. I bought all the region 2 dvds over the years as a collection. I was intrigued to see if those plot and character surprises were as effective second or third time round. I am pleased to say YES they are.

I recently recovered from an illness and decided to open my dvd sets for the first time. Imagine my disappointment when I found half of series one and some of 2 and one of 3 were either frelling corroded or delaminated.

I understand that it is possibly due to double sided discs or the manufacturers glue originally used which has caused the layers to separate. According to Aussie research up to ten per cent of all early dvds are affected. My Special Edition of Terminator 2 has gone the same way. My questions to amazon and play.com have fallen on deaf ears.

I advise all collectors to check their discs when they buy them and regularly after that.

If I am not to waste my money replacing the discs with more corrupted ones can anyone please point me in the right direction. I understand the Starburst Editions on region 1 are good but suffer the same problems.

I would love a complete working set and also long for a Farscape Movie. DNA Scientist versus Scorpy anyone.
scaperocks
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Re: Unplayable dvds

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:14 am

That is terrible scaperocks. I check all my Farscape DVDs all the time and so far - no problems. But thanks for the heads up.

scaperocks wrote:If I am not to waste my money replacing the discs with more corrupted ones can anyone please point me in the right direction. I understand the Starburst Editions on region 1 are good but suffer the same problems.

ADV stopped issuing the Starburst Edition in the double sided format a while ago. But... they are sold out of Season One Starbursts. Season 2 through 4 are all single sided so you shouldn't have any trouble with them.

ADV has lost the copyright to sell Season One Farscape as of the end of this month, (Starburst and original versions), and as each season copyright comes due - they will relinguish them as well.

However no fear - Sony has picked up the rights. What this means is anyones guess (they might issue a brand spanking new version of the DVDs in Region 1 or continuing to provide Starburst Editions), but they will be selling them.

scaperocks wrote:I would love a complete working set and also long for a Farscape Movie. DNA Scientist versus Scorpy anyone.

The Region 2 Contender versions of Farscape are very well thought of - and their version of PK Wars was far superior to the Region 1 version. So you might want to explore that option.

And yes. I would also love a Farscape feature film. :)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

unplayable dvds

Postby scaperocks on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. The dren is not so thick now.

The extras on the Starburst Editions sound good especially the commentaries but do I wait for Sony to include them I wonder. This problem has made me wary of collecting in future. Money only goes so far.

Incidentally the Farscape Undressed extra on region 2 3.1 shows the chemistry between Claudia and Ben as they present a resume of the show leading up to season 3. Claudia is wearing a low cut clingy black gown which is eyecatching. Ben is okay too, ha ha. If only region 2 contained more commentaries.
scaperocks
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Re: unplayable dvds

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:47 pm

scaperocks wrote:Thanks for the advice. The dren is not so thick now.

The extras on the Starburst Editions sound good especially the commentaries but do I wait for Sony to include them I wonder. This problem has made me wary of collecting in future. Money only goes so far.

For pricing and 4 disc Starbursts I will plug this site: Exyte.com.

They sell all the Starbursts individually (except for SEason One) in the four disc versions guaranteed.

Plus if you want to buy the complete Farscape (Season One through Four) they have bundled it all together in one price. (They had to get their supply of Season One from a retail outlet - not ADV - so the price is higher. *sigh*)

Incidentally the Farscape Undressed extra on region 2 3.1 shows the chemistry between Claudia and Ben as they present a resume of the show leading up to season 3. Claudia is wearing a low cut clingy black gown which is eyecatching. Ben is okay too, ha ha. If only region 2 contained more commentaries.

I have seen it. It is really hot. And fun. And comprehensive. :)

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Starburst set

Postby scaperocks on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:34 pm

Thank you Firecracker for your help. I have comtacted Exyte to find out the cost of sending the box set from Canada to England. I fear I may have to ask Rygel for a loan.
scaperocks
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Re: Starburst set

Postby Firecracker on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:38 pm

scaperocks wrote:Thank you Firecracker for your help. I have comtacted Exyte to find out the cost of sending the box set from Canada to England. I fear I may have to ask Rygel for a loan.

Just remember that the Starbursts are Region 1. Is your DVD player multi-region?

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Starburst DVDs

Postby scaperocks on Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 am

Thanks for the tip Firecracker. I have a multi region player so no problem. It seems season 1 and 2 are selling out most places.

Watched some of my region 2 season 3 yesterday. Favourite episode is Meltdown. Claudia and Ben play the tension so well. This is one of the funniest episodes. Full marks to the director and also on episode Relativity where Aeryn meets and loses her mum. So sad even though you know her mum is not dead.

Have not seen Claudia and Ben in Stargate yet. Are they any different ? Sorry, getting off the thread I know.
scaperocks
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Return to Merchandise