Saddest/ Emotional Farscape moment?

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Saddest/ Emotional Farscape moment?

Postby scaperfan on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:03 am

Hi all, my long-suffering fiancé and I (I'm trying to convert him- hey, he bought me my first boxset, so it's all his fault!) are just starting to watch all the way through from Season 1--> Season 3 before our lovely Season 4 boxset arrives, and I was wondering whether other scapers have favourite 'sad' or 'emotional' Farscape episodes/ moments out of the four seasons; I've noticed many 'funniest' and 'favourite' threads, but couldn't see any for the other side....
We're only up to early Season 2 at the mo, and I think two of my stand-outs so far are DNA Mad Scientist and The Way We Weren't, for what poor Pilot has to go through (in both), and how Aeryn interacts with him. I've a few others in mind, but want to check details before I list, so more knowledgeable scapers don't have to keep correcting me! :roll: ;)
...anyone care to contribute?

SunKrux Mod edit: So this doesn't get lost in the shuffle when FS starts in syndication in the States and elsewhere.
Mal: "It ain't all buttons and charts little Albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Well I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say."
River: "I do, but I like to hear you say it."
Mal: "Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she ain't keepin' up just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her up when she ought to fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens, makes her home."
River: "Storm's getting worse."
Mal: "We'll pass through it soon enough."
scaperfan
Kalish Resistance

Postby john_aeryn_fanatic on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:22 am

hi there scaper fan!

thats great ur watching al the seasons! id love to do that. i have seen season one or two for ages!

well.. i being a hopeless, sad shipper.. i find many of the john and aeryn moments very sad and emotional..

in season two i thought the look at the princess trilogy was quite emotional, and when aeryn got to name talyn.... and also in a human reaction

there are lots of emotional bits in season three and four.. but i wont tell you them if you havent seen them!

FARSCAPE KICKS OTHER SCI-FI SHOWS BEHINDS TEN -FOLD

18 days till FARSCAPE:PEACEKEEPER WARS
ImageImage
john_aeryn_fanatic
Nebari Snurcher

Postby xfkirsten on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:23 am

I think the saddest moment was when John told Aeryn, "I would put my life in your hands, but not my heart." I just about cried! :cry:
"Some imagination, huh?"
xfkirsten
Delvian Pa'u

Postby scaperfan on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:29 am

john_aeryn_fanatic wrote:there are lots of emotional bits in season three and four.. but i wont tell you them if you havent seen them!

I did watch Season 3 a while ago, but my memory wanders, hence the working my way through them all again so I have at least some clue of what happened to whom when we start on Season 4, before coming to the Burbank convention! :)
(At which, no doubt, we'll have to keep our ears closed for talk about the PKW miniseries!- maybe I should invest in some heavy-duty earmuffs...) :?
Mal: "It ain't all buttons and charts little Albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Well I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say."
River: "I do, but I like to hear you say it."
Mal: "Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she ain't keepin' up just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her up when she ought to fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens, makes her home."
River: "Storm's getting worse."
Mal: "We'll pass through it soon enough."
scaperfan
Kalish Resistance

Postby john_aeryn_fanatic on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:33 am

yeah season four is definetly an emotional season
its my fave season of all.....

yeah if u dont wanna know anything bout the mini you should keep ur ears closed! lol

i started spoiler free. i eventually couldnt help myself! :P
ImageImage
john_aeryn_fanatic
Nebari Snurcher

Die Me Dichotomy / Dog With Two Bones

Postby canberra_boy on Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:49 am

Farscape does the BEST season finales out of any show I have ever seen (with the posisble exception of the Law and ORder season 6 finale where Claire dies, but anyway this is a Farscape board)

Probably my favourite is Die Me Dichotomy (S2 finale), just where Aeryn dies and immediately afterwards. WOW

Or possibly Dog With Two Bones (S3 finale) with the wedding shootout. Holy cow that was powerful. And where John is dancing with "aeryn" - that practically makes me cry whenever I see it.

But then all the finales have their own emotional hammers. Season 1 had incredible triumph but utter utter hopelessness. Season 2 had incredible loss and again utter hopelessness. Season 3 had yet more loss, unresolved love issues, and an incredibly powerful revlation at the end, and Season 4 bore with it - amongst many other thigns - the deep sadness that marks the end of an incredible era of television.

I've rambled enough. If this doesn't make sense, it's just cause I haven't had enough sleep this year.
Sequel to PK Wars coming tomorrow! But tomorrow never comes ... :-(
canberra_boy
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby motz7d on Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:56 am

The last 15 minutes of the last episode make my stomach flip, but I am in the process of watching the last half of season 2 and first half of season 3, so I haven't seen those yet. Also, Inf. Possiblities Pt. 2 has a pretty scene.
motz7d
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Ryalin on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:07 am

There are incredibly heart wrenching moments during all four seasons, but the ones that get me the most would be Die Me Dichotomy, Infinite Possibilities Pt. 2, The Choice and Bad Timing.....all for obvious reasons.

-Ry
Ryalin
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Joolchi on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:14 am

I cried when Aeryn left Moya at the end of season 3 and when John died on moya. All of season 4 was emotional with John and Aeryn

And for being spoiler free well I never bothered cos by the time i see it in oz i would've forgotten it all!
cross my heart, strike me dead stick a lobster on my head!
Joolchi
Delvian Pa'u

Postby motz7d on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:22 am

I unfortunately started watching FS this summer from the middle of season 3, so one of the first things I saw was Inf. Poss. Pt. 2 and I didn't really understand it all. So, that kind of ruined the emotion in it for me. But, looking back on it (and I'll watch it again, all in order, when I finally get the DVDs) that is a really great scene. But I still say the last episode got me the most. The music mixed with the scene and the emotion, it's alot to take in all at once.
motz7d
Nebari Snurcher

Postby phily_rules on Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:31 am

i think what makes bad tieng so sad is the unexpected-nedd of it. everything is just going so well, and then it happens.

i think the writers deserve some major kudos for being able to play these emotional momets as they do in the show, for having built up the characters enough to show them in a diferent life, therefore provoking the reaction, e.g the Aeryn/Pilot storylines.
.... and you boogied like a minx on crack!
phily_rules
Luxan Warrior

Postby bugchicklv on Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:29 am

I cried so much when Talyn John died, I made myself sick. But there are two others that make my heart ache (I posted these elsewhere too so forgive me)....when John tosses the coin: Aeryn watches its progress in the air, but John can only look at her; and when aged John and Aeryn come back to Moya: She died before they got there, and John is sitting with her in his lap, hugging her tightly to him and burying his face in her hair... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Does THAT kind of love really exist? You know in Human Reality here on Earth?
bugchicklv
Luxan Warrior

Postby datsdewody on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:57 am

Soo many heartstring tugging, bawl your eyes out, drown the nieghbourhood in tears episodes in this fantastic show. Funny isn't it how attached we normal (or not teehee) folk get to, well, lights and sounds on a box. Geez the human psyche is a fascinating place!

I personally feel sad for the characters most of the time, because even during the good times, you know that TPTB will throw a equally/more powerful sadness wave at you to make up for the happiness. It is a dark show. Dark and powerful.

Here's a little exerpt from www.toughpigs.com that really sums up farscape's writing for me...

I can't help but imagine what Christmas is like at Rockne O'Bannon's house. The kids open up their presents, and they get just what they wanted. They tell Dad how much they love their new train set. "Oh, you DO, do you?" says Rockne. "Well, now I'm setting it on FIRE and throwing it out the WINDOW! Ha HA!" No, don't do it, the kids sob. Please! Not again! "Now, where's your puppy?" No, Dad! No! Not the puppy!

Pilot, how in the beginning was in constant pain and he just learned ot live with it, that made me sad.
D'argo's obsession with his son, but once he finds him, it blows up in his face.
Crichton and his mom, that was a huge one for me. In Won't Get Fooled Again, how he was just on the floor sobbing in fear and feeling so alone.
Rygel comforting Elack's pilot was really touching.
Noranti's scene with Rygel at the end of the We're So Screwed trilogy, about killing and such was really touching as well.
Talyn's final starburst have me shivers.

Then trillions of John and Aeryn ones too.

"I would put my life in your hands, but not my heart." majorly powerful scene

...well that wasn't long, not at all

btw, the Tough Pigs farscape reviews are absolutely marvelous, it's interesting to see a totally different take on the show

Does THAT kind of love really exist? You know in Human Reality here on Earth?

If it does, the people who have experienced it should really consider themselves blessed :) Actually, that's a crazy topic...love that deep, and they've been through SO much together. Can anyone here on Earth say that they've been through similar experiences??
datsdewody
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Up From The Depths on Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:11 am

When Zhaan says "Wise Rygel", and Rygel's expression just turns to dust, realizing like never before that he was losing the only person on board who even slightly understood him.
Up From The Depths
Delvian Pa'u

Postby scapecadet on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:28 pm

There are so many - the more posts I read, the more I come up with.
'Do you love Aeryn Sun? - Beyond hope!'
Final scene in the Locket, when John realises he shud have looked in the locket when Aeryn said 'you know whose picture is there' and the sadness of wasted years.
John saying goodbye to Aeryn in the coffin, he in handcuffs..
D'Argo screaming in Bad Timing watchin J&A die.
The wedding shootout
Many little scenes on Earth, where John realises that he has changed so much that he cannot fit in back there anymore ( well, this is a bit personal for me,because this is how I feel now, after 17 years of living in the UK, when I go back to my home country...). Also all the moments, when John feels so exhausted by being hounded and hunted all the time..
But I admire how these moments are combined with utter madness and surreal fun as well as pure adrenalin moments...
scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Next

Return to Episodes