As we suspected - it's Stargate's fault.

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

RE: As we suspected - it's Stargate's fault.

Postby Jeeves on Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:24 am

With all of the publicity that the SAVE FARSCAPE campaign is attracting, it would be damn funny to see the faces of the SCI-FI execs who canceled Farscape if the show gets super high ratings (compared to before,) for 4x12-4x22 when they air next year.

Tee hee.
Jeeves
Luxan Warrior

Oh for the....

Postby Jess Pallas on Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:37 am

Good grief. One badly chosen word and everyone erupts!

I should clarify - I was mad when I wrote this and didn't take the care in writing the title I should have done. I was going to put "it's because of Stargate season seven" in the title but it didn't fit so I just used the word "fault" instead. Obviously that was a mistake.

I NEVER MEANT TO BLAME STARGATE PERSONALLY. I NEVER SAID I WANTED IT TAKEN OFF THE AIR.

It was SCIFI I was raging at for deciding to scrap FS to pay for more Stargate despite the fact they might well be losing their main character and the show, much as I used to love it, hasn't changed a bit in six years. It's got boring and yet they drag it onwards. Compared to the ever-changing, always growing, organic feel of FS, it's static and going nowhere and yet FS is gone and Stargate goes on. That was the thought that boggled my mind. I like Stargate well enough - just not a hundredth as much as I like FS.

Is that clearer? :)

Jess P. :)

Swordmistress and Pilot Protector.
Jess Pallas
Delvian Pa'u

RE: Throwing Stones

Postby mikhail_scaper on Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:10 am

>i hope you don't hold any hatred for Showtime, its Odyssey 5
>show is the second best show i have seen on any network,
>next to Farscape.

Yeah, I agree. So far so good and it seems very promising. Let's hope they don't frell it up...It's no Farscape though, not by a long shot. But it's got a nice premise...
mikhail_scaper
Luxan Warrior

Don't sweat it...

Postby mikhail_scaper on Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:19 am

I have never personally seen SG-1, although I WAS gonna give it a chance, maybe catch some of the reruns. FRELL THAT!...no matter what happens now. There's NO way I would even consider supporting SG-1. I won't even leave the channel on Sci-fi any more as a show of support from 8:00PM till 1:00AM. ONLY Farscape. It's nothing against SG-1, really...Sci-Fi has left a VERY VERY BITTER taste in my mouth and right now, I can't see myself supporting anything that they can/will come up with. I DON'T TRUST THEM!!!
mikhail_scaper
Luxan Warrior

RE: Oh for the....

Postby all_about_Aeryn on Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:32 am

I took it that you were mad at SciFi for bad decision making, not Stargate. And, although I never watched it and have no feelings good or bad towards it, I have nothing against the show at all. But SciFi is raking up points I have against it.
all_about_Aeryn
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Durka35 on Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:42 pm

when you refer to keeping the tv on scifi ch from 8 to 1, do you infer that you are a Nielsen family? just wondering. i have never met one, just heard that they determine the fate of tv shows.
Durka35
Hynerian Dominar

Postby TheathThatThord on Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:20 am

>when you refer to keeping the tv on scifi ch from 8 to 1, do
>you infer that you are a Nielsen family? just wondering. i
>have never met one, just heard that they determine the fate
>of tv shows.

I was a Nielsen family until last month and I just wanted to let you know how it works. It is a two year committment (unless you move), and there is a box attached to your TV,VCR, & DVD players in every room that monitors what you watch (including channel-surfing, taping other shows, etc) and it downloads that information every night. Each Nielsen family represents 55,000 households and is carefully selected to represent all the different demographics of the US. This is how ratings are decided, and this is (mostly) all the networks care about, because it translates to advertising dollars. So unless you have a Nielsen box on top of your TV, it doesn't matter if you leave your television on the SciFi Channel all day long, or not, because no one but you will ever know. If you want the networks to be aware of your particular viewing habits, you must still write letters, and send faxes and e-mails.

BTW - Farscape did get my ratings every Friday night.
It was a time saver.
----D'Argo - Mind the Baby
TheathThatThord
Luxan Warrior

Postby mikhail_scaper on Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:42 am

I never really thought about it like that. For me, it's all about moral support, I guess. I catch the Sci-Fi channel through satellite. If I like a particular network for whatever reasons, I try to support them by giving their programs more of a chance than others. I guess on an individual basis it doesn't really matter, but I bet collectively, if enough of us are pissed off enough, and if this is truly the end of Farscape as a regular series, we can certainly make some waves.
But to the point, I guess my support was moral and word of mouth sort of support as well. If I'm happy with a network, I'll get my friends to watch. If I'm indifferent, I don't say a word. If I'm pissed off, I'll ACTIVELY, hell I'll go out of my way to discourage people from watching AND I'll boycott. Simple as that. Same with any product, I guess.
mikhail_scaper
Luxan Warrior

Previous

Return to Future Farscape