Want more Farscape?? Well here it comes.......

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Firecracker on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:51 am

Chi_fi_Eagle wrote:
TINemo wrote:I still can't imagine building new sets(the old ones are gone),making new costumes and props(they've sold most everything at the cons or on ebay) for 10 6-10 minute webisodes-----that's about an hour's worth all told--unless they expect to do something ELSE with them...doesn't sound financially feasible to me.

I guess we just wait until they announce their plans.

Maybe we have come so far that CGI can do enough for background on the webisodes and use more character drive rather than sets? Maybe the webisodes will be based on a single theme which would require less sets? Many years have passed and technology seems to double now in no time

Costumes and props will still have to be built. Not to mention Rygel and (hopefully) Pilot refurbished. Actors/Puppeteers need to be paid.

And even if they do use CGI sets as background... it still costs money.

The Farscape webisodes are not a cheap proposition. Cheaper than a full series - certainly.

We just have to make sure that the money people know that there is enough interest out in the big bad world to justify another series.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby TINemo on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:08 pm

You could be right. I can't keep up with it.I'm so old I remember when we got our first black and white TV when I was in Jr High(now middle school). my oldest son was born the day Sputnik was launched,when my now son-in-law gave my daughter an Apple computer my Dad said*what could anyone do with that?*

I'm sure from listening to the commentaries on SG1 DVDs that the technology of digital vs film, and of CGI has allowed them to get all sorts of effects they could only dream of before....but I don't think it wise to make everything virtual.

I can't imagine Farscape----my kind of Farscape-- without Moya and Pilot for example.Moya sets are gone, Pilot may or may not be all right in storage depending on what you read where. Any choics costs $$$$$$$$

Patience is a virtue they say
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby JackBauer on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 am

I cant imagine, when the actual series cost nearly a million dollars/episode to produce, that anything on the web will be a shell of its former self, ESPECIALLY if the original actors dont return.
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Firecracker on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:22 am

JackBauer wrote:I cant imagine, when the actual series cost nearly a million dollars/episode to produce, that anything on the web will be a shell of its former self, ESPECIALLY if the original actors dont return.

??? Where did you get that number? Season One through Three cost $450,000.00 per episode - and in Season 4 cost $750,000.00 per episode.

I agree that the webisodes are going to be scaled down versions - but both Rygel and Pilot are already built and tested. They just need new skins. So that major expense is reduced dramatically.

Besides - it is always the story in Farscape. The special effects are awesome - but it is the story that matters. Story is king.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby JackBauer on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:11 am

"How much does it cost to make a Farscape episode?

I saw a Farscape show that was broadcast in Australia stating the budget was 2 million dollars an episode in 1999. I suspect they were referring to Aussie money, which would place the cost at about 1.2 million US. Recently it was revealed that the fourth season had a budget of about 1.4 million US per episode. The entertainment industry is notorious for using "creative" accounting practices, so I'm not sure if even The Henson Company knows for sure"

Icant imagine with a show with the sets, makeups, and special effects that this show produced brilliantly year after year that the budget wasnt under a million a show. Hell an episode of family guy is 22 minutes and that costs a solid mil.
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:33 am

JackBauer wrote:"How much does it cost to make a Farscape episode?

I saw a Farscape show that was broadcast in Australia stating the budget was 2 million dollars an episode in 1999. I suspect they were referring to Aussie money, which would place the cost at about 1.2 million US. Recently it was revealed that the fourth season had a budget of about 1.4 million US per episode. The entertainment industry is notorious for using "creative" accounting practices, so I'm not sure if even The Henson Company knows for sure"

Icant imagine with a show with the sets, makeups, and special effects that this show produced brilliantly year after year that the budget wasnt under a million a show. Hell an episode of family guy is 22 minutes and that costs a solid mil.

Yes...the $1.2 million U.S was what talked about and the primary reason SciFi channel cancelled the show. They wanted it cheaper and have product input and since a company outside Universal/SciFi was responsible for the entire content Farscape became expendable!
"No Dream is guaranteed...the grace of age is we learn to accept." Gigi Edgley/Chiana admirer
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Firecracker on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:50 am

Chi_fi_Eagle wrote:
JackBauer wrote:"How much does it cost to make a Farscape episode?

Yes...the $1.2 million U.S was what talked about and the primary reason SciFi channel cancelled the show. They wanted it cheaper and have product input and since a company outside Universal/SciFi was responsible for the entire content Farscape became expendable!

The Sci Fi Channel was only paying for half of that. The Jim Henson Company owns Farscape and they picked up the rest.

The increase to $750,000.00 that the Sci Fi Channel paid for each episode in Season 4 had to do with their demand for more rerun rights.

Which they got.

The Sci Fi Channel paid far less than $1 million per episode. Far less. It was a steal.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby JackBauer on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:32 am

Well someone got greedy on either side and it fell through. I dont get why the increased budget in season 4, the production was always stellar. I wonder if that had anything to do with the somewhat lackluster stories
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby SunKrux on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:48 pm

Considering at the time that Vivendi and the German company who (then) owned JHP were both going belly up...I'm not sure it was ALL about greed.
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby TINemo on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:51 am

And why did Sci fi cancel SG1 and keep SGAtlantis?????????

Bonnie Hammer's thought processes, if there are any, don't make sense to me.

I have never getten into SGA and even with Amanda(Carter) replacing Tori(Elizabeth Weir) I still find it boring boring boring. May I never see another wraith!

Guess that's just me.I've been watching the DVDs of SG1(on season three now) and I sure like it better than SGA........but no where near how I liked Farscape.
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby JackBauer on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:14 am

Atlantis is preety good. SG1 at its hiegiht with RDA was amasing though.
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Firecracker on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:56 pm

JackBauer wrote:Well someone got greedy on either side and it fell through. I dont get why the increased budget in season 4, the production was always stellar. I wonder if that had anything to do with the somewhat lackluster stories

Actually Cosmic Theorist has a really good post here explaining the situation. (Don't worry - the post is not long - it is succinct and to the point - and covers most, if not all, of the bases. ;) )

The cancellation didn't have anything to do with dropping ratings (which actually weren't dropping - no matter the spin Sci Fi tried to put on the cancellation) or the increased costs (which actually weren't increasing no matter the spin Sci Fi tried to put on the cancellation).

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Firecracker wrote:
JackBauer wrote:Well someone got greedy on either side and it fell through. I dont get why the increased budget in season 4, the production was always stellar. I wonder if that had anything to do with the somewhat lackluster stories

Actually Cosmic Theorist has a really good post here explaining the situation. (Don't worry - the post is not long - it is succinct and to the point - and covers most, if not all, of the bases. ;) )

The cancellation didn't have anything to do with dropping ratings (which actually weren't dropping - no matter the spin Sci Fi tried to put on the cancellation) or the increased costs (which actually weren't increasing no matter the spin Sci Fi tried to put on the cancellation).

correct...it had to SciFi wanting creative license of the show and only wanted in house productions and this led to all the other reasons (excuses) that the show was cancelled and it did not help that the producers (owners) of Farscape were having their own financial problems
"No Dream is guaranteed...the grace of age is we learn to accept." Gigi Edgley/Chiana admirer
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order

Expense

Postby Easterner9504 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:29 pm

[quote="Firecracker"][quote="Chi_fi_Eagle"][quote="TINemo"]I still can't imagine building new sets(the old ones are gone),making new costumes and props(they've sold most everything at the cons or on ebay) for 10 6-10 minute webisodes-----that's about an hour's worth all told--unless they expect to do something ELSE with them...doesn't sound financially feasible to me.

I guess we just wait until they announce their plans.[/quote]

Maybe we have come so far that CGI can do enough for background on the webisodes and use more character drive rather than sets? Maybe the webisodes will be based on a single theme which would require less sets? Many years have passed and technology seems to double now in no time[/quote]

Costumes and props will still have to be built. Not to mention Rygel and (hopefully) Pilot refurbished. Actors/Puppeteers need to be paid.

The Farscape webisodes are not a cheap proposition. Cheaper than a full series - certainly.

We just have to make sure that the money people know that there is enough interest out in the big bad world to justify another series.[/quote]

[b]A lot can be done with CGI. A not well known thing is STAR TREK: The Original Show is back in production. Called STAR TREK NEW VOYAGES it is entirely FAN made; the sets and FX look great. The fans making it evolve from bad actors to better over time. Eugene Roddenberry helps, scripts have come from D C Fontana and original actors and actresses from old days constantly show up.

So 'Scape can CGI.[/b]
Easterner9504
Delvian Pa'u

Re: Expense

Postby Firecracker on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:58 pm

Easterner9504 wrote:
Firecracker wrote:
Chi_fi_Eagle wrote:
TINemo wrote:I still can't imagine building new sets(the old ones are gone),making new costumes and props(they've sold most everything at the cons or on ebay) for 10 6-10 minute webisodes-----that's about an hour's worth all told--unless they expect to do something ELSE with them...doesn't sound financially feasible to me.

I guess we just wait until they announce their plans.

Maybe we have come so far that CGI can do enough for background on the webisodes and use more character drive rather than sets? Maybe the webisodes will be based on a single theme which would require less sets? Many years have passed and technology seems to double now in no time

We just have to make sure that the money people know that there is enough interest out in the big bad world to justify another series.

A lot can be done with CGI. A not well known thing is STAR TREK: The Original Show is back in production. Called STAR TREK NEW VOYAGES it is entirely FAN made; the sets and FX look great. The fans making it evolve from bad actors to better over time. Eugene Roddenberry helps, scripts have come from D C Fontana and original actors and actresses from old days constantly show up.

So 'Scape can CGI.

Of course Farscape can CGI. They did since Season One. But in the real world even CGI costs money.

So do actors.

So do writers.

So do puppets and puppeteers.

These webisodes are not gonna come free.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

PreviousNext

Return to Future Farscape