Why stargate and not Farscape?

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Why stargate and not Farscape?

Postby shawz on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:46 am

Hi there,
I'm new to farscape and I'm amazed at how great a series it is! It was to my obvious dismay that I found out about the cancellization so soon after my discovery of the show.
My main gripe is how can a mediocre show (imho) like Stargate get to nine seasons and a much superior show liks Farscape be canned? Does anyone have some info on what the criteria for keeping shows going is?

Also I've looked for but never seen the exact reason Farscape was stopped put up anywhere on the net. I've been told it was a fairly popular show, so it must not be ratings right? What other reasons could there be? I thought as long as the advertisers are being paid a show is good to go.

Another take I've heard is the Henson comp want more money than sci-fi wanted to pay. But seeing how much Brian Henson loved the show and wanted it to continue this doesnt make much sense to me, unless they just couldnt afford to do te show for what they were being paid anymore, but how did they afford the first four seasons then?
This is all very mystifying. Maybe I misunderstand the natuer of show biz?

Any info is much appreciated. Sorry if this is a repost, but I started feeling like I'd spend the rest of my life searching thru forum posts for these answers so I had to start a new thread for expediency's sake. Thanks for your time!

Farscape rules, :!:
-Sean
shawz
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Pvt.Stash on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:45 pm

im much the same as you,found it on "SpaceCast" after the start of the fourth season and instantly became engulfed in its subculture and had all my downloading tools working overtime

my theory is ,,,,,,,

in the fourth season they had 1 episode that seen Jon meet up with moyia and the rest of the cast on earth. if you watch it closely you see many shots at ancient cultural staples.having Rygel insult religion while a Roman Catholic priest is being interviewed as he makes his comments,

you know the Pope had it cancelled personally :roll:

if its not true then like all theory ?,its justa bad idea.but i believe it could have had and effect on the fact it wasnt picked up for a 5th season
Pvt.Stash
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Re: Why stargate and not Farscape?

Postby BritAngie on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:21 pm

shawz wrote:Hi there,
I'm new to farscape and I'm amazed at how great a series it is! It was to my obvious dismay that I found out about the cancellization so soon after my discovery of the show.
My main gripe is how can a mediocre show (imho) like Stargate get to nine seasons and a much superior show liks Farscape be canned? Does anyone have some info on what the criteria for keeping shows going is?

Also I've looked for but never seen the exact reason Farscape was stopped put up anywhere on the net. I've been told it was a fairly popular show, so it must not be ratings right? What other reasons could there be? I thought as long as the advertisers are being paid a show is good to go.

Another take I've heard is the Henson comp want more money than sci-fi wanted to pay. But seeing how much Brian Henson loved the show and wanted it to continue this doesnt make much sense to me, unless they just couldnt afford to do te show for what they were being paid anymore, but how did they afford the first four seasons then?
This is all very mystifying. Maybe I misunderstand the natuer of show biz?

Any info is much appreciated. Sorry if this is a repost, but I started feeling like I'd spend the rest of my life searching thru forum posts for these answers so I had to start a new thread for expediency's sake. Thanks for your time!

Farscape rules, :!:
-Sean

Though we may never know the real details according to Brian Henson it sounds like a case of bad timing. Sci fi and EM-tv (who owned Hensons at that point) all ran into financial difficulties. As a result sci fi pulled out of the deal because they didn't have the money and EMTV couldn't cover the shortfall for whatever offer Sci fi had put on the table. Ironically Brian said that if they could have waited for about 5 months the funding would have been there but by then it was too late. :(

Since then EMTV went onto sell Hensons- Disney were the forerunners to buy it back but in a surprise and wonderful twist Brian Henson, Lisa Henson and his other siblings pulled the money together to buy Hensons back. They have since consolidated, struck a deal with Disney for the muppets and other bits which is mutually beneficial and we got PK wars the mini series made. Sci fi who were owned by Vivendi were bought out by NBC so they now have new owners aswell.

As to why they funded Stargate and not Farscape- ideally they wanted both- but stargate pulled off a better deal I guess. At the time even those who made Stargate didn't know if they would be picked up either.
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby BritAngie on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:32 pm

Pvt.Stash wrote:im much the same as you,found it on "SpaceCast" after the start of the fourth season and instantly became engulfed in its subculture and had all my downloading tools working overtime

my theory is ,,,,,,,

in the fourth season they had 1 episode that seen Jon meet up with moyia and the rest of the cast on earth. if you watch it closely you see many shots at ancient cultural staples.having Rygel insult religion while a Roman Catholic priest is being interviewed as he makes his comments,

you know the Pope had it cancelled personally :roll:

if its not true then like all theory ?,its justa bad idea.but i believe it could have had and effect on the fact it wasnt picked up for a 5th season

Um no Pope John Paul II didn't cancel Farscape. Unless Pope John Paul had a secrect media mogul life and was a member of EMTV's German board of directors? ;)
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby SunKrux on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:46 pm

BritAngie wrote:As to why they funded Stargate and not Farscape- ideally they wanted both- but stargate pulled off a better deal I guess. At the time even those who made Stargate didn't know if they would be picked up either.

Let's not forget that Stargate has the big media mogul MGM behind it. Even though Sci-Fi owns the rights to air it, MGM is still footing the bill for the series. MGM has more money than Jim Henson Productions (at this time - give them a few more years, and JHP will be in the dough! :D).

Also remember folks, Stargate had been around for at least 4 years BEFORE Farscape made it on the air. That's a big head start.

I like Stargate, for it's humor and occasional character development eps. I like Farscape cause it's well written, doesn't treat it's fans like idiots and the actors themselves. In all actuality, neither show is going to change the world, they just make it a better place because they offer good fun and escapism. :D
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby shawz on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:47 am

BritAngie wrote: Though we may never know the real details according to Brian Henson it sounds like a case of bad timing. Sci fi and EM-tv (who owned Hensons at that point) all ran into financial difficulties. As a result sci fi pulled out of the deal because they didn't have the money and EMTV couldn't cover the shortfall for whatever offer Sci fi had put on the table. Ironically Brian said that if they could have waited for about 5 months the funding would have been there but by then it was too late. :(

Since then EMTV went onto sell Hensons- Disney were the forerunners to buy it back but in a surprise and wonderful twist Brian Henson, Lisa Henson and his other siblings pulled the money together to buy Hensons back. They have since consolidated, struck a deal with Disney for the muppets and other bits which is mutually beneficial and we got PK wars the mini series made. Sci fi who were owned by Vivendi were bought out by NBC so they now have new owners aswell.

As to why they funded Stargate and not Farscape- ideally they wanted both- but stargate pulled off a better deal I guess. At the time even those who made Stargate didn't know if they would be picked up either.

Hmmm, that all seems to make sense. It's hard to believe that companies some times are scraping by when you see them on tv every night with all the commercials and stuff. You'd think someone could've known somebody with enough dough to float them for awhile. Maybe film some episodes where they're lost on a planet with no light like the pitch black movie. That would be cheap to film! :P hehe.
Oh well its good to hear the henson company is back in good hands. Hopefully they'll do a new series we can all like as much or more than Farscape in the future.
shawz
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby shawz on Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:00 am

SunKrux wrote:
BritAngie wrote:As to why they funded Stargate and not Farscape- ideally they wanted both- but stargate pulled off a better deal I guess. At the time even those who made Stargate didn't know if they would be picked up either.

Let's not forget that Stargate has the big media mogul MGM behind it. Even though Sci-Fi owns the rights to air it, MGM is still footing the bill for the series. MGM has more money than Jim Henson Productions (at this time - give them a few more years, and JHP will be in the dough! :D).

Also remember folks, Stargate had been around for at least 4 years BEFORE Farscape made it on the air. That's a big head start.

I like Stargate, for it's humor and occasional character development eps. I like Farscape cause it's well written, doesn't treat it's fans like idiots and the actors themselves. In all actuality, neither show is going to change the world, they just make it a better place because they offer good fun and escapism. :D

Thats true, I forgot about MGM. That makes all the difference having that bankroll behind Stargate.
Stargate's not a terrible show and I can enjoy watching it, but it was another example of how average stuff excells in the world and things that have that extra something special that doesnt come around that often don't get the attention they deserve. One of the more annoying aspects of life.

And yes they are only TV shows afterall. But when I can watch something thats, good, better or best, I like to watch the best! And I think Farscape was one of the best shows to come along in awhile. At least I've still got 3 seasons left to watch! :D
shawz
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby SunKrux on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:17 am

shawz - Don't fret about not getting more FS. IF Serenity does well, it will give big screen chances to FS which is what Henson wants to do next with the show. It will take a few years before it goes to the big screen, but it will eventually happen. If not, it's now in syndication, so something's gotta give. :D There will always be FS. :D
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Serenity

Postby DCscaper on Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:15 pm

The trailer I saw for Serenity (the Firefly movie) looks GREAT. I never liked that show, but the trailer made me want to see it right away. The theater I was in (it was Star Wars 3) was hushed, and I didn't hear any of the preteens making any insults like they typically do with bad movies, so I think these signs bode well. If that movie opens with a substantive audience, here comes Farscape to the big screen!!

And though Pope John Paul II didn't cancel Farscape, it's always possible that Dubya had a hand in it.... ;)
"In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide (1869–1951)
DCscaper
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby IDanoi on Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:37 pm

The world is a sad place when any fool can see that Farscape surpassed SG1 by a light year or 2. I watched Farscape from the first episode on BBC2, and was hooked, the depth breadth and colour was/is better than anything else that was on TV or has been produced since - SG1 soon pulled its socks up. The character build was done slowly over episodes and seasons. I wept when Aryn died and when Zan gave her life. I was and still am saddened by the lack of forsight the Sci Fi channel had in cutting this, and yet allowing SG1 to continue for yet another season. I got board and stopped watching seasons ago. Yet I stay up until silly oclock to whatch Farscape, even if I have it on vid. Sad I know but I loved and still love it. IDanoi XXX[/b]
IDanoi
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Dog With Two Bones on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:22 am

IMO Stargate is a load of crap, Farscape is superior in every way.
Dog With Two Bones
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Yes, I agree with You Dog with two bones. I've watched stargate before Cladua and Ben were on it, and yes, there were some good episodes in every season but since they are there, in my opinion, it's ,uch better. The fresh air that Vala brings to the show, the different ways of leadershiop that Mitchell, has, although I liked Richard Dean Anderson. He and Michael Shanks are my favourites. Now we have Ben and Claudia, and we all know how well they wprk.

It0s true that always it's a question of money, that if Henson had the money that MGM has, Farscape would have reached the 5th or even 6th season.

And if the point that Farscape could be a movie, I'll be the first one in my city to buy the ticket to watch it and I will be the first one in buying the dvd as soon it releases.

I hope the tv stations and cinemas finally see the light and give us more farscape, also on non syndication tv's. At least in my country, of course.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mad on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:28 pm

As it is known on stargate are in agreement only partially , the series was better (even it was remained not to high levels) with CB, but had lost
its better male character (richard dean anderson)...

While on farscape (show very other level... :o ) I am completely in agreement, ....

Farscape to difference of stargate has still much to say.

David kemper in an interview had declared of having material not only for season 5 but also for one season 6 and 7...
We hope that all this can soon be taken advantage of.... :o

MAD of love.....farscape.
Mad
Delvian Pa'u

Fed up

Postby stardude on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:15 am

Wow interesting stuff
I am fed up of Stargate now. I think its been through the squeezer too many times now.
Bout time they made something new or new Farscape stories.
www.timegeezer.com only the best watches
stardude
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby ScarranHalfBreed on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Stargate is cheap to make I think. You need a field, a few prop guns and a small amount of CGI (recycling the same Stargate effects over and over) to produce an episode of Gate. It's cheap and brings in a modicum of ratings, whereas Farscape was expensive and brought in a modicum of ratings.
ScarranHalfBreed
Luxan Warrior

Next

Return to Future Farscape