Why stargate and not Farscape?

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby AERYNSUN on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:42 pm

But even it's a less expensive show, it0s cancelled. So, I will never understand the reasons why tv programmer act like that. SG-1, less expensive, Farscape, more expensive but more succesful.

Can anyone tell me why?
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby SunKrux on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:45 am

AERYNSUN wrote:But even it's a less expensive show, it0s cancelled. So, I will never understand the reasons why tv programmer act like that. SG-1, less expensive, Farscape, more expensive but more succesful.

Can anyone tell me why?

Actually, SG1 was/is more successful than FS was. SG1 has MGM backing it. In the US MGM is one of the BIG production companies.

FS didn't have a big production company backing it. While Jim Henson Productions is a big company and makes (imho) some of the best movies/telly shows, they do not have the money power like MGM does.

SG1 isn't that much less expensive to make than FS was.

Comparing SG1 to FS is like comparing apples to oranges. The ONLY things they have in common are:
both are Scifi genre
both had Ben Browder and Claudia Black on them.
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby Mad on Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:11 am

Yes ,unfortunately...... :wink:

However stargate it has had also fortune (in reality it had to close very before) in sprite of the clean inferiority of the series....

OK, the mgm is more powerful , farscape it was more expensive, but indeed has been this the reason?..... Or there is an other reason?

MAD of love.......farscape
Mad
Delvian Pa'u

FAN INVESTMENT

Postby bwilli18 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Why don't we set up a venture capital firm and sell shares for $10 a piece? We raise $30 million (maybe more with the way the U.S. dollar is sinking) and bankroll a 3 hour miniseries.

If we could raise money to advertise for the PKW mini-series, why not back the whole thing this second time around. I'm in for a couple of dozen shares. If the show makes a profit we get a few dollars; if it tanks, so what, we're out 10 dollars per share.

Succeed or fail we would be Hollywood moguls and could wear black leather and sunglasses anytime we want. 8)
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:41 pm

Well I know It worked for PKWars, so I think it's worth to try. If you ever have the chance to do it, with more people involed, of course, just tell us what to do.

I guess I'm not the only one who agrees with you.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby SunKrux on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:52 am

Mad wrote:Yes ,unfortunately...... :wink:

However stargate it has had also fortune (in reality it had to close very before) in sprite of the clean inferiority of the series....

Mad - that is your opinion of SG1 and you are welcome to it, but please remember there are fans of SG1 on this forum. :D I do not compare the two shows for the reasons I stated earlier. For me they are to different to compare and it's a waste of time, imho, to debate it. You have your opinion (and you're not alone) and I (and others like me) have mine. :D

OK, the mgm is more powerful , farscape it was more expensive, but indeed has been this the reason?..... Or there is an other reason?

Ok, once again I'll explain. Scifi's parent company Vivindi/Universal was going under...as was the company that owned Jim Henson Productions (JHP from here on out). JHP's then parent company wanted more money per eps from Vivindi. Vivindi couldn't afford it and offered JHP a shorter season to wrap things up. JHP powers that be decided not to take that option and that was the end of the series as we know it. So there for it was all about the almighty dollar, plan and simple like. :D
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby Mad on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:59 am

On this not there were doubts ,unfortunately is always issue about the God money..... :(

However thanks...

MAD of love.......farscape
Mad
Delvian Pa'u

Previous

Return to Future Farscape