Is there a future for Farscape in the big screen ?

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby Voter_Colonel on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:11 am

Whatever it is, just make it soon!!!!
What Strain of Madness Summoned These Foul Visions To Assault My Sense?
What Caste of Diabolic Spell Raised These Denizens of Hell?
User avatar
Voter_Colonel
Peacekeeper Commander
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:32 am
Location: Left Earhole of a recently salvaged Budong

Postby Slywolf on Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Series = to much money cost, lots of stuff you can do with it

Mini Series = fare amout of money cost, a good range of stuff you can cover but much less then u can do with a series.

Movie = better made, fare amount of money cost, but really small range of stuff you can cover compared to the other two.


Id rather have a series or movie rather then a mini series. Movie would be great but it would probably be a jump the shark moment. I say people should keep fighting for them to make more seasons.
User avatar
Slywolf
Luxan Warrior
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Uncharted Territories

Postby nebari@heart on Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:30 pm

dig that, man, totally diggit.
Image
User avatar
nebari@heart
Delvian Pa'u
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:49 pm
Location: Sussex [Horsham - okay, heard of by some]

Future Farscape, Is there any?

Postby helo_rn_scaper on Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Ok, now the Mini has been seen in the UK and Oz is going to get it. So.....
WHEN WILL WE KNOW IF THERE WILL BE ANYMORE farscape? :shock:
"......you can be more." John to Aeryn
User avatar
helo_rn_scaper
Peacekeeper Commander
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:37 am
Location: New arrival to Charlotte, NC

Postby odedh on Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:48 pm

Emram wrote:Quick question to the Trekkies out there - what is your opinion of the movies compared to the original series? The "spin offs" (although they are really continuations) compared to the original series?

It will be much the same for any Farscape continuations, whether it be in the form of a movie or spin off series. Not being a Star Trek fan, I can't comment, as they are all of similar quality to me.


Well TOS was the best, TNG was ok, especially while Roddenberry was still Alive, once Rick Berman took over it went down hill, the other show went from ok to just bad

as for the movies the first 6 with the original cast were good(except for 5 which was the movie that had the studio making too many dictations, they wanted it to be funny like 4 and ruined the story), The movie franchise went downhill with Generation and forward

now the big reason why the first 6 movies worked were because it was Directed/Written by people having to do with the orginal show, something the spinoffs except TNG and the following movies didn't have

so I think Farscape Spinoffs/Movies can work, as Long as it's done with the orignal people, after that there's no sense of Calling it Farscape, just do a new Space show, with other characters and storylines, Cause once you call it Farscape people will always compare it to the original, so if you can't get the cast or most of it back togeather it's best of doing a whole new show not related and let it co-exist, my best argument to this is something I hear cast and crew people say alot in Farscape, "This show isn't story driven, it's character driven" so if those characters aren't there there's no point of calling it Farscape
odedh
Hoo-man... Lost in Space
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Beer-Sheva, Israel

Postby IriS on Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:11 pm

Can someone explain to me how spin-offs are possible while getting another season isnt't? A Spinoff is still a TV series, right? So wouldn't the cost be approximately the same? :-k
[SACCer #97] [CBOOL #97] [DMB #97]
Image
User avatar
IriS
Hoo-man... Lost in Space
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:55 am

Postby odedh on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:00 pm

IriS wrote:Can someone explain to me how spin-offs are possible while getting another season isnt't? A Spinoff is still a TV series, right? So wouldn't the cost be approximately the same? :-k


Well a spinoff can be set somewhere else, with different characters, or just some of the original show, changing the premise might also lower cost, but more importantly it's hard to believe that a new season will be bought by any channel/network without also getting the rights to broadcast the first 4 seasons, what's more, new seasons will be limited, a spinoff might have a larger life span. and last but not least it's hard to believe that they can get all the cast togeather to make new seasons, filming a TV season takes like 6-8 monthes, Mini-Series or film take 2-3, so it's hard taking people working on other TV shows to be in Farscape, like Ben Browder who's now on SG-1
odedh
Hoo-man... Lost in Space
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Beer-Sheva, Israel

Postby IriS on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:01 am

Oh I see. Yeah that makes sense.

I was aware of the fact that they probably will not be able to get the whole cast back, I just didn't know what the difference between a spinoff and a new season would be, in terms of budget.

Thanks for the explanation :)
[SACCer #97] [CBOOL #97] [DMB #97]
Image
User avatar
IriS
Hoo-man... Lost in Space
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:55 am

Postby Sandworm on Thu May 12, 2005 4:56 pm

Well TOS was the best, TNG was ok, especially while Roddenberry was still Alive, once Rick Berman took over it went down hill, the other show went from ok to just bad

as for the movies the first 6 with the original cast were good(except for 5 which was the movie that had the studio making too many dictations, they wanted it to be funny like 4 and ruined the story), The movie franchise went downhill with Generation and forward

now the big reason why the first 6 movies worked were because it was Directed/Written by people having to do with the orginal show, something the spinoffs except TNG and the following movies didn't have

so I think Farscape Spinoffs/Movies can work, as Long as it's done with the orignal people, after that there's no sense of Calling it Farscape, just do a new Space show, with other characters and storylines, Cause once you call it Farscape people will always compare it to the original, so if you can't get the cast or most of it back togeather it's best of doing a whole new show not related and let it co-exist, my best argument to this is something I hear cast and crew people say alot in Farscape, "This show isn't story driven, it's character driven" so if those characters aren't there there's no point of calling it Farscape


I am obviously younger than you, because I don't agree with that. I really enjoyed TNG. I also like Voyager quite a lot, especially after season3 when Species 8472 came into it.

the films... I didn't like 1. 2 was good. 3 was ok. 4 was good, too. 5 was terrible. I don't know what happened there. 6 was ok. generations was not that great, but first contact was excellent! I really enjoyed that. The last 2 were pretty poor, though.

I think for farscape, I would prefer to see a spin-off over a film. I don't think a film would be the right way to go for a couple of reasons:

1. The effects we all love are not so great for a film, where the expectations are much higher. Not that I'm saying it could not stand up, but I think it would be less excellent.

2. I don't think a series can ever truly have it's story continued in a film to the same effectiveness. Take Dune and the recent mini. I prefer the mini, because they manage to stick closer to the story, having more time.

just my thoughts.
:)

really, I would love either, or both even.
ImageImage

Sikozu: "Do you have any plan of escape?"
Aeryn: "Run"
Sikozu: "Anything more detailed?"
Aeryn: "Run quickly" - Bringing home the Beacon

"I'm a damn scientist!" - John, Premiere

www.freewebs.com/farscapevirtualseason5
Virtual Season 5: The Peacekeeper Wars may be over, but the story continues.
User avatar
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order
 
Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:39 am
Location: Arrakis

Firefly

Postby DCscaper on Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:59 pm

Regarding Star Trek - I loved TNG, DS9, and Voyager, but the creaters ruined the last seasons of DS9 and Voyager in my opinion. They ruined my favorite character, Dukat, and they focused too much of Voyager's energies on attracting pre-pubescent boys. It was a real shame.

As for Farscape, I agree, I would prefer a TV spin-off; however we must keep in mind that a big screen movie could work.

Has anyone seen the trailer that's out now for the new Firefly film? My lord...I tried that show and never liked it that much, but the trailer makes me want to run out and see the film. It looks like they did a fabulous job on it. I just hope that IF the powers that be make a Farscape film, they do it well and not in a hurry. There is serious potential out there if they really focus their talents.
"In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide (1869–1951)
User avatar
DCscaper
Peacekeeper Commander
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:24 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby RainSable on Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:28 pm

Cattivo wrote:I still think that the tv show format is the best way to present farscape


my thoughts exactly, living week to week waiting for the next ep, whether a new one or part two over the seasons was the bizz... alas I think those days are gone now, also the buzz everyone got when the PKW rumours started was electric, that night in the Sci-Fi chat room with BlackT and ChickwithGun was cool.

The next buzz is the movie.... all behind Mr Henson on that one.
User avatar
RainSable
Peacekeeper Commander
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:14 am
Location: Scotland

Postby Sandworm on Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:28 pm

I don't think a movie will be as effective for Farscape as the TV was. This is because the effects used in the TV show were up to movie standards, which is very unusual.

That is one of the things which made Farscape so different to Star Trek and all the rest.
ImageImage

Sikozu: "Do you have any plan of escape?"
Aeryn: "Run"
Sikozu: "Anything more detailed?"
Aeryn: "Run quickly" - Bringing home the Beacon

"I'm a damn scientist!" - John, Premiere

www.freewebs.com/farscapevirtualseason5
Virtual Season 5: The Peacekeeper Wars may be over, but the story continues.
User avatar
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order
 
Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:39 am
Location: Arrakis

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:04 am

At the end of September we shall get a glimpse of what may be possible for a Farscape Movie when Serenity opens!!!!!!!!!!! If it is BIG and sustainable then the market for future Farscape moview will be there...if the opening is not big then someone will have to go out on a limb like they did for the mini series PKW to get the movie made.

I do believe Serenity will have a lot to do with the future of good cult type science fiction and I for one will be there watching and paying.

done in PA
"No Dream is guaranteed...the grace of age is we learn to accept." Gigi Edgley/Chiana admirer
User avatar
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:04 am
Location: Western Pennsylvania USA

Postby Firecracker on Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:49 pm

Chi_fi_Eagle wrote:At the end of September we shall get a glimpse of what may be possible for a Farscape Movie when Serenity opens!!!!!!!!!!! If it is BIG and sustainable then the market for future Farscape moview will be there...if the opening is not big then someone will have to go out on a limb like they did for the mini series PKW to get the movie made.

I do believe Serenity will have a lot to do with the future of good cult type science fiction and I for one will be there watching and paying.

done in PA


You said it, and I will be there with bells on. And a ton of people that I have nudged, convinced, encouraged and hogtied to join me. :D

Sandworm wrote:I don't think a movie will be as effective for Farscape as the TV was. This is because the effects used in the TV show were up to movie standards, which is very unusual.


I disagree. What made Farscape so different from the rest was the adult quality of the writing. Special effects are very nice and can contribute a lot to a story. But in the long run, they are just bells and whistles. If the storytelling capability is weak then the movie is weak.

That is how come fabulous special effect movie tank - "A Phantom Menace" for example. Or "Lost In Space" for another. Fabulous special effects. Terrible writing. Terrible storytelling.

I love the fact that Farscape's special effects are movie quality - but that doesn't make Farscape for me. It is the storytelling.

And I would take a better story and less effective special effects any day.

In fact I do. Ever read "Perdido Street Station"? Fabulous storytelling and nary a special effect in sight. (Can't be - it is a book.)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Image

Image
Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:43 pm

Postby Chi_fi_Eagle on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:30 pm

Firecracker wrote:
Sandworm wrote:I don't think a movie will be as effective for Farscape as the TV was. This is because the effects used in the TV show were up to movie standards, which is very unusual.


I disagree. What made Farscape so different from the rest was the adult quality of the writing. Special effects are very nice and can contribute a lot to a story. But in the long run, they are just bells and whistles. If the storytelling capability is weak then the movie is weak.

That is how come fabulous special effect movie tank - "A Phantom Menace" for example. Or "Lost In Space" for another. Fabulous special effects. Terrible writing. Terrible storytelling.

I love the fact that Farscape's special effects are movie quality - but that doesn't make Farscape for me. It is the storytelling.

And I would take a better story and less effective special effects any day.

In fact I do. Ever read "Perdido Street Station"? Fabulous storytelling and nary a special effect in sight. (Can't be - it is a book.)


I also agree with your assessment...the additional money...the ability to go a little over the edge that TV does not allow...visually everything should be more stunning and maybe a little more risque...you can go a lot further in the PG13/R area in film than anything will fly on TV...just look at the different editing for Farscape on TV, violence edited out in the UK and sex edited out here in the States...the only editing on the big screen would be at the behest of the producers and director.
"No Dream is guaranteed...the grace of age is we learn to accept." Gigi Edgley/Chiana admirer
User avatar
Chi_fi_Eagle
Scarran Ruling Order
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:04 am
Location: Western Pennsylvania USA

PreviousNext

Return to Future Farscape

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest