Is there a future for Farscape in the big screen ?

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Is there a future for Farscape in the big screen ?

Postby nebariscaper on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:24 am

With all the dren that comes through Hollywood and elsewhere undre the heading of Scifi, isn't about time we got some REAL stuff. Somehow I doubt that the Scifi channel will buy additional seasons. If they did I'd be ecstatic but a good show on the mini might generate serious interest in investers for a movie. Especialy if they see how well DVD and even soundtrack CDs will sell.

Mod Edit by SunKrux: Thread made into a sticky to remind people that ONE movie thread is enough. Thank you. :D
Ben Browder as Cody Westcott ~ more uncharted territory...
http://www.teeswithatwist.com
nebariscaper
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby BrentBarrett on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:35 am

I'd like to see more real SF in the theater to, but Farscape ain't real Science Fiction. :) It's Fantasy, really, much like Star Wars. But, yeah, I'd love to see it in the theater with a feature film. We may get it, as David Kemper and Ben Browder have now both said that Brian Henson really wants to make one, and David said that when Brian says he wants something, he usually gets it done... So don't count it out, not by a long shot.

However, I'd settle for a few more mini-series or TV movies, personally. ;)
The John and Aeryn Site
http://www.johnaeryn.com

BrentBarrett
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:27 pm

Farscape started off as Science Fiction. As the story progressed, it evolved into Space Opera, which is the genre that someone (I believe Lucas himslef) coined for Star Wars - basically, big story, the hero, the villain, the girl etc.

It may have moved away from the "pure" science fiction formula, but is no worse off for that.

I think it could transfer to the big screen as well as Trek did, if it was handled correctly. As ever, the trick is making the story continue properly for the existing fans, but making it accessible for new fans. Trek managed it OK, why shouldn't Farscape?
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby motz7d on Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:40 pm

Ben said on Tech TV that Henson was looking into the big screen, depending on how PK Wars does. Sounded very promising.
Image Image Image Image Image
motz7d
Nebari Snurcher

Postby scapecadet on Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:38 pm

I'd love to see it on the big screen. My only worry is that any studio influence might spoil it - either by dumbing it down or as Ben Browder himself half joked by insisting on casting someone more famous in the leads. I think this show was allowed to be special, because it was more independent and made by non-mainstream people in Oz.

But still, I hope they manage to pull it off!

JC to Akhna: "It's a question of balls.. the ball is in his court!"

Claudia: Quit. Prompting.Me.Woman!? WOMAN!!??
scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Up From The Depths on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:43 pm

So far as space operas go, Farscape was small - small budget, small audience. That's what gave its makers the freedom to make it as good as it was. These things are a delicate balancing act...we might wish that Farscape had more success than it did, but then what would have become of it? Would they become the Metallica of space opera?

A big-screen movie, with a big budget and a big studio behind it...my skin is crawling at the thought.
Up From The Depths
Delvian Pa'u

Re: Is there a future for Farscape in the big screen ?

Postby Havisham on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:19 am

As long as there's a future for Farscape, I really have no preference on what form it takes. A series continuation would be excellent, but so would another miniseries, but then again a big screen debut would be great too!

I'll take whatever I can get and I'm sure majority of fans agree with me on this. :wink:
Lle desiel?
Havisham
Delvian Pa'u

Postby motz7d on Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:20 am

As I've stated all over this and other forums, the last thing I would want is for Farscape to be tainted. I absolutely love Farscape, so the worst thing that could happen is for Farscape to outgrow its fans. I think a big screen movie would be okay (hell, it'd be awesome), but so long as it doesn't do anything to hurt Farscape.

Personally, I'm thinking the mini may be the end for Farscape as we know it, which is fine with me. If Farscape is to continue, it should be different, maybe a different storyline, different characters, etc. I think that the mini will and should be the end to the crew of Moya's journey together, and I'm hoping for a good bit of closure.
Oh hell, all I really want to is what becomes of John, Aeryn, and their baby. I'm such a damn shipper.
motz7d
Nebari Snurcher

Postby Cattivo on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:16 am

I still think that the tv show format is the best way to present farscape, and that there's not a large enough audience for a movie.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby BritAngie on Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:17 pm

You guys wait till you see the mini! I think you'll agree that the mini is a damn good format! :wink:
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby motz7d on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:36 pm

Oh, I can't wait. I made sure to take off from work all day Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday just because I know I'll be going out of my mind.
motz7d
Nebari Snurcher

What is with all this movie talk?

Postby Vis Major X on Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:15 am

Why is this show simply being a good show not good enough for anyone?

Why do we have to talk about screwing it all up with a massive motion picture AND YOU KNOW how corrupt that how deal is these days.. WORSE the the TV industry so I don't know why anyone is even remotely thinking this is a good idea.

What is the problem with them STILL bringing it back to do just like regular mini serieses? They did or do this with another show.. B5 right? I mean if frelling StarGate can get a spin off do you REALLY THINK they ARE NOT going to do some regular Farscape again soon. I don't know why everyone is pushing for a movie.. I mean THIS SHOW HAS to come back.. there should be no question as to IF there is going to be more Farscape..

"Oh hey.. there is all this money sitting here for us if we'd just produce the work.. well.. you know.. screw it actually.. we don't need any money we're just a corperate monster that doesn't mind getting swallowed by another corperate monster because we're not making enough money by producing things that our market likes to consume."

Just BUY STUFF okay? Just buy Farscape stuff.. and it will always be there for you.. okay? Spend money on Farscape/Henson stuff. Its their number one product right now.. you think they arn't going to find people to MAKE more episodes with if people are buying up tons of FS merchendise from Jim Henson Co.?

But back to the tv/movie thing. THERE IS SO LITTLE STUFF on TV that is GOOD! And never mind 'good' because 'Farscape' is 'great' right? And if you take it FROM TV to the MOVIES then it just becomes another TV show turned movie turned DIS-A-FRELLING-PEERED remember?

This has to remain a TV show.. or its really going to die. A good real hollywood death too okay? Remember how long the Muppets and Fraggle Rock ran for? When Henson finds something it backs it.. how did the Muppets do after those movies came out eh? How long did that Muppets come back last? Yeah, get me?

On TV Farscape can be a standard to which ever other show can be held. Because EVERYTHING that it does is PERFECT. They don't skimp on anything and the cast loves the fans loves the cast and crew and so everything is there to make a TV show that is rare in this day and age.

Make it a movie and its just another movie. No matter how great it is. And it will be YEARS between them even if its good and they make tons of money from it and they make many of them.. and if there is a bad episode its okay.. there is another one next week.. and it will be good no doubt about it.. but a bad movie.. and that could be it.

I don't like this movie talk.. it scares me. Movies are HARD to get done. And harder to do right. FS has never had and doesn't need a movie budget either.. it 'works' for TV.

VMX
Vis Major X
Luxan Warrior

Re: What is with all this movie talk?

Postby Urpling on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 am

Vis Major X wrote:Why is this show simply being a good show not good enough for anyone?

Why do we have to talk about screwing it all up with a massive motion picture AND YOU KNOW how corrupt that how deal is these days.. WORSE the the TV industry so I don't know why anyone is even remotely thinking this is a good idea.....

.....I don't like this movie talk.. it scares me. Movies are HARD to get done. And harder to do right. FS has never had and doesn't need a movie budget either.. it 'works' for TV.

VMX

I hear ya, bro! (...and your very interesting post on how we might access screen productions using our current technology...you're a bit of a visionary, I think! If what I read is true, audience WILL have a very direct vote and influence on what is produced in the not too distant future....there are articles about this subject being circulated right now...not very different, in content, to your own.)

But in terms of this particular thread....you are clearly concerned that Movie = death. Both in terms of FS integrity and FS's survival afterwards.

I would accept your analysis if it weren't for the fact that Henson seems pretty keen to follow that route himself. Now, he doesn't strike me as a media idiot...so I wonder why he is willing to risk all and use this format?

Is he just wanting to showcase what he can do beyond Muppetry, do you think? Is FS just a vehicle to him? (At the end of the day he needs food on his plate, just and we do.) Or is he committed to the whole FS production and the unique way that it works....erm...worked (gulp).

What does he know that we don't?
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby BritAngie on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:10 am

What you have to remember is Hensons have done heaps of movies- Labrynth, Dark Crystal, Good Boy, Five Children and it (which is out at the moment) and been involved with many others in other capacities. I have no worries at all that Hensons have the know how to do a movie.
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby motz7d on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:27 pm

BritAngie wrote:What you have to remember is Hensons have done heaps of movies- Labrynth, Dark Crystal, Good Boy, Five Children and it (which is out at the moment) and been involved with many others in other capacities. I have no worries at all that Hensons have the know how to do a movie.

Agreed. If you don't believe it go watch any of those movies. I think, so long as they stick to their guns, the Henson Co. could make a kick ass Farscape movie.
motz7d
Nebari Snurcher

Next

Return to Future Farscape