Some other good ideas, suggestions...

Discussions about Farscape's cancellation, and the campaign to promote the show's return. General discussion about THE PEACEKEEPER WARS should go in the relevant forum.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Some other good ideas, suggestions...

Postby mikhail_scaper on Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:39 pm

Date: 09/13/02 10:24:24 AM
Name: Maayan

Email: maayan42@yahoo.com

Subject: No Subject

Maintaining effort is hard and campaigns take time. We are in this for the long-haul, but we've all got lives on the side. It's difficult to decide what to do when you are deluged with lists of names, addresses, phone numbers, and have limited time to budget.

We -- cofax, Fialka and Maayan, if you want names -- have been assigning each other 'homework' to make things easier. Simple tasks, focused and easy to implement. We thought you might want to help with the homework.

We're calling it the Farscape Friday To-Do List. Every Friday, we'll share our homework with you. What's the focus this week? It might be the same as last week. As we get more intel, we might find ourselves new targets to aim for. Etc.

It doesn't mean that this is ALL you HAVE to do, or all you CAN do. NOT AT ALL.

Other important actions are organized every day all across the web, and other key announcements and calls to action are sure to take place this week. If something important breaks, we might have to amend the List on a Tuesday.

But if you have only so many hours to devote to the cause, and you're feeling overwhelmed by the task (who to write, what to say?), the Farscape Friday To-Do List might help you find your way around.

It helps us.

FARSCAPE FRIDAY TO-DO LIST 09/13

PEOPLE TO CONTACT:

General stuff:

Remember, a polite, hand-written letter gathers more attention than a fax or email. Telegrammes are best, if you can afford one (about $15).

Don't forget to state your demographics: age, sex, occupation, place of residence -- especially if outside the US, number of kids -- especially if you watch with them. When contacting SCI FI Channel or USA Networks, please request that they sell the rights to the first 88 episodes so that the show can continue on another network if they are truly not able to produce it.

This information comes from a highly reliable source with connections to both SFC and the Farscape team and corroborates what we've been hearing from DK and Anthony in the chat room. According to her, there hasn't been a lot of progess but the fan response is "giving Rockne and David encouragement to proceed, esp. when SFC is telling them their show is shite. It's so good for them to hear it's not."

We were able to brainstorm some names to focus efforts on the most important issues. Since people are getting tired (and possibly running out of postage money) having a to-write-to list might be a better way to keep the momentum going than encouraging people to write to everyone all at once.

So today's project is these four.

We're told that in terms of letter writing, right now we need to do two things. 1) Encourage other networks that Farscape is a good buy, and 2) Encourage SFC that Farscape IS a money-making proposition and that it DOES bring in "new" viewers who do not normally watch science fiction programming.

You might also mention your appreciation for its high production values, and how surprised you were that a show that looks this cinema-like could be produced for basic cable. Farscape costs a lot of money, as we all now know, but boy does it show up on the screen! I'm also told it's best not to use the phrase 'online fan community' in any shape or form. Use 'audience', 'viewer' or 'households'. Those are words the brass understand.

We do have friends at SCI FI Channel, and when writing it's important to remember who is who. There are people over there who are as stunned and upset by the cancellation as we are. My source suggests we focus attention on Tom Vitale, Sr VP of Acquisitions and Scheduling. When you write, be sure to thank him for his support. Tell him what you love about the show and encourage him to continue fighting for a fifth season.

Tom Vitale Sr VP of Acquisitions and Scheduling
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
Switchboard: 1-212-413-5000
If off, dial 1 then VITALE, star key, TOM, star key.
If you hit # after your message, that will place the call as priority.
Fax: 1-212-413-6524
email: tvontv@scifi.com

Michael Jackson was hired on to revamp the network and bring in viewers who don't traditionally watch sci fi shows. Barry Diller reportedly hates space shows, and he's someone that hasn't been contacted much. He's also the guy at the top.

Are you someone who doesn't usually like science fiction? Stress that. Stress the other things about Farscape that appeal to you -- the action, the romance, the drama, the characters. The big questions it asks about love, loyalty and what it means to be human. Tell them when you started watching, especially if it was sometime during the S3 hiatus or later. Mention Buffy, The X-Files and similar shows that have succeeded in crossing the genre barrier if you watch them. Especially mention non-genre shows that you also watch. If you got SciFi channel only to watch Farscape, be sure to mention that as well.

Basically, what we want to stress is that many of us *are* the new "normal" audience they say the show isn't pulling in. Farscape is the show that brought us to SCI FI Channel, is what we use to get other non-viewing friends of ours try SCI FI Channel, and ultimately is what keeps us coming back.

Michael Jackson
Chairman of the Universal Television Group
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
Phone: 1-212-413-5679 or use switchboard as above.
Fax: 1-212-413-6524
email: mjackson@usanetworks.com

People have been having a lot of luck getting through to Michael Jackson's office, which means he's definitely not getting enough calls!

Barry Diller
Chairman & CEO USA Networks
152 West 57th Street New York, NY 10019
Phone: 1-212-314-7300
Fax: 1-212-314-7399

According to my source, Barry Diller does not read his email, so don't bother.

And now, the good guys. We hope. Again, remember that the poor people who are answering the phones are probably completely gobsmacked by the sudden shower of attention. We're asking them to inherit us as fans, so be as calm and polite as possible. Let's give the impression that we're devout, not demented {g}. If you're pitching to other channels, be sure to come at them as a fan of THEIR NETWORK, not of Farscape. As in, "I love x, y, and z on UPN, and I think Farscape would be a great addition to your lineup."

UPN
Todd Lituchy Sr VP
Scheduling and Acquisitions United Paramount Network
11800 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: 1-310-575-7000
Fax: 1-310 575 7210
E-mail: feedback@upn.com

SHOWTIME

In addition to letters, you should also go to http://sho.com/util/custhelp.cfm. This also works for those outside the US, who cannot get in through the front door. To leave a message: select Technical and use Farscape as the header. Sources at Showtime state they *are* looking at these and are noting the interest.

Mathew Duda
VP Acquisitions and Planning Showtime Networks
10880 Wilshire Blvd. Stes. 1500 & 1600
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone: 1-310-234-5200
Fax: 1-310-234-5393

And if any of you know Steven Spielberg personally, now might be a good time to ask for a small favor. Apparently, Barry (Diller) has a lot of respect for Spielberg, and could theoretically renew the show based on nothing more than a sentence or two from him. Same is true for Diane von Furstenburg.

Dreamworks produces Taken, which will soon air on SCI FI Channel. They'll want to know what their potential audience is up to. Tell them that you are disappointed in SCI FI Channel's decision, and that it's made you reconsider watching the channel. If you plan on cancelling your subscription until Farscape is back on the air, be sure to tell them that.

DreamWorks SKG
ATTN: Taken
100 Universal City Plaza, Bldg 10
Universal City, CA 91608, USA
Phone: 818-733-7000
Fax: 818-733-7574

Right. Go forth and conquer! As 1812 would say: Dah-dah-dah-da-da-da-da DAH DAH DAH. courtesy of http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/fetch.p ... 1984192024

Dani, Mary, sorry for any duplications. I just thought I'd post the whole message.
mikhail_scaper
Luxan Warrior

RE: Some other good ideas, suggestions...

Postby Shawn283 on Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:52 pm

I found this email from the frell me dead site. Please email nancy and tell her about the save Farscape movement.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 1:01 PM
To: tminor@multiculturaladvantage.com
Subject: entertainment weekly

Hi Tracey,

I'm a correspondent for Entertainment Weekly. I wrote an item about the
cancellation in this week's Monitor (Justin Timberlake on the cover) but
am interested in tracking the grass roots campaign to bring the show
back. Do you know who placed the ad in Variety? Also, what are some
other things you guys (and who/how many are you guys?) doing to bring
the show back? And what's been the response?

Let me know,
Nancy Miller
nancy_miller@ew.com

Shawn
Shawn283
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Return to Future Farscape