For those who didn`t like PKW

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

For those who didn`t like PKW

Postby Vye King on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:09 pm

I have been a huge fan of Farscape since the begining. I still remember watching the first episode one saturday night and being blown away by it. I loved the 2000 olympics not for the sport but because 9 put Farscape back on to compete. Around the time they aired season 2 we were on an interstate holiday visiting relitives that we haden`t seen in upwards of 5 years but we could go no where between 5 and 6 in the arvo because I had taken control of the tv for my Farscape fix. I am obssesed. BUT I HATED PKW. While it was visualy stunning I think it shows that it was made to shut the fans up. In searching these forums I have found nothing but praise for it and even saw someone get blasted when they said they didn`t like it. So this is for those who didn`t like it to come and bitch (note to moderators: not sure what exactly counts as bad language here but figured if they could say it on the show I can say it here).
Vye King
Luxan Warrior

Postby Vye King on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Now for my rant

#1 the death of Ankh
Scarrans dont die from one shot. half a dozan shots from a qualta blade only gave a small gash in SOD, but in PKW Ankh is killed by ONE shot to the head. Granted she`s not a warrior caste Scarran but thats to big a difference to belive.

#2 Sikozu
Sikozu would never have worked for the Scarrans. She would never have belived them if their promise to free her people. She spent her entire life fighting them and belived theier promise? She knows them better than that.

#3 Pregnancys
Aeryn has her full term in under a week. Hard to belive at the best of times but when Grayza is heavily pregnant at the start of PKW and just as pregnant at the end? Something fishey is going on. Even if you argue that Aeryn was born into service and so altered, shurely Greyza would have gotten the same thing done to herself. Especially considering here interogation methods. (Flashback to John tied naked to a slab) And while we`re on the topic, why is it possible for Rygel to carry Lil D? He`s a different species and a male!!

#4 Jool
Not a plot hole just a personal annoyance. Jool was the only one to get off Moya safely. She had no one chasing her, no one wanting her dead and had found a place where she could be happy. And then they killed her!! For that, and also breaking Aeryn at the end of season 4, I shall never forgive them.

Thats all I can think of for now but its been 10 months since I saw it so I shall probably add to this list after I watch them all again. Feel free to justify any of my issues, I enjoy a good argument and would love to be proven wrong and shown that PKW was worthy of the title of Farscape but I just feel it was made to be an action movie; lots of explosions and a story as an after thought.
Vye King
Luxan Warrior

Re: For those who didn`t like PKW

Postby stlscape on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Vye King wrote:I While it was visualy stunning I think it shows that it was made to shut the fans up.

FWIW, according to Brian Henson, it wouldn't have been made if the fans hadn't made so much noise about the cancellation, because the noise attracted the attention of investors. However, the real reason PKW was made was to bring the Farscape franchise to a point where other things could be done with it. Brian has also said PKW ends THIS chapter of Farscape. In other words, most of THESE loose ends have been tied up, and therefore it will be easier to create new Farscape in the future. The Jim Henson Company can start with totally new characters/races/plotlines if it wants to.
stlscape
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Cattivo on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Check out this thread for more critique: http://www.farscapeworld.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

Your complaints are pretty much the same as mine.

Trying to remember what else I didn't like about it....

Chiana's new (once again) power that destroyed the beauty of her obsidian eyes. Also, the new power wasn't well defined....Could she see through walls with x-ray vision, detect energy signatures, or what?

The plot device of how the Qujagans are the priest people from Arnesk. That's just too easy. Looking at the Qujagans in Bad Timing, it is obvious they weren't meant to be the same race as the priests. It was artificially created in the mini-series to make things flow together.

The priests didn't know of the Scarrans, yet in WWL, Noranti specifically says that the priests kept the peace for many generations...that would have had to include a period when there was contact with Scarrans.

The Luxan race had cloaking technology as a whole in the mini-series, yet D'Argo's ship was an old ship that seemed to be unique...no current Luxan ships were supposed to have the cloak. D'Argo would have known since he was in the military....

Aeryn actually sacrifices her wishes in order to play wife for John...something she would never do. Very out of character.

Also, while Rygel's pregnency was amusing, it didn't make much scientific sense.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Postby thoth on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:25 am

I think a lot of your criticisms reflect what many of the fans have been saying. I just don't think that they amounted to PKW being "bad."

Vye King wrote:Now for my rant
#3 Pregnancys
Aeryn has her full term in under a week. Hard to belive at the best of times but when Grayza is heavily pregnant at the start of PKW and just as pregnant at the end? Something fishey is going on. Even if you argue that Aeryn was born into service and so altered, shurely Greyza would have gotten the same thing done to herself. Especially considering here interogation methods.

There seems to be something of a caste system with the Peacekeepers. I think it's pretty clear that Grayza and Aeryn were not born equal to eachother. One had opportunity for advancement into command roles, while the other was destined to the life of a grunt. Braca might seem to be an exception in straddling the lines, but then again, he straddles everything. :P

#4 Jool
Not a plot hole just a personal annoyance. Jool was the only one to get off Moya safely. She had no one chasing her, no one wanting her dead and had found a place where she could be happy.

Now that I think about it... the Scarrans really didn't have any reason to nuke the temple. They didn't know about the Eidola at that point. :?

The plot device of how the Qujagans are the priest people from Arnesk. That's just too easy. Looking at the Qujagans in Bad Timing, it is obvious they weren't meant to be the same race as the priests. It was artificially created in the mini-series to make things flow together.

The priests of Arnessk wore veils in "What Was Lost," so it doesn't really bother me that much.

The priests didn't know of the Scarrans, yet in WWL, Noranti specifically says that the priests kept the peace for many generations...that would have had to include a period when there was contact with Scarrans.

I dunno. A lot can happen while you're alseep for 27 thousand cycles.

The Luxan race had cloaking technology as a whole in the mini-series, yet D'Argo's ship was an old ship that seemed to be unique...no current Luxan ships were supposed to have the cloak. D'Argo would have known since he was in the military....

Could have been a kind of ship reserved for very high-ranking VIPs and maybe something has changed since. But I agree that there os a mismatch.

Aeryn actually sacrifices her wishes in order to play wife for John...something she would never do. Very out of character.

Claudia Black didn't want to be stuck in a character development rut. For example, in "We're So Screwed" the script originally had Aeryn very mad at John for using the nuke at the end. But Claudia Black decided that at that point in Aeryn's relationship with John, she'd be more team-minded with him and stand by him even if she disagreed with him, much as she would expect John to stand by her as well (which is part of why Aeryn was so upset at John for having gone to Einstein to unlock the wormhole knowledge in PWK. She had already expressed her position on the matter and was upset John had gone around her on the subject.). In fact, Aeryn displayed a great deal of trepidation about taking on the role of a "wife." And it certainly didn't contradict anything in her character. Recall her conversation with D'Argo while Moya was being attacked, or her statement that three children is "a very scary number." Character development means that she's not going to just punch John out (like in Throne for a Loss) to end an argument anymore. She's found different ways to express herself while still being true to herself.
Sikozu: Tell me, when will we stop following this human and start imposing our agenda on him?
Scorpius: We already have...
thoth
Delvian Pa'u

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars