FIVE; PKwars

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

FIVE; PKwars

Postby HELLOcake on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:49 pm

farscape; peacekeeper wars finally got onto a channel more people are likely to watch. and, i would have been overjoyed at this but the impression it must have made on some newcomers must have been aweful - if anyone on here watched FIVE's showing of PKwars they must agree with me that it was edited terribly. if your gonna show a movie, especially farscape in which u cant miss a thing, u should show it all and not just cut the bits out you think waste time. that's exactly what FIVE did, they wrecked the damn thing.

the scenes soon after the beginning of the second half were missing, involving scorpius' coolant system being replaced. dargos joke after being thrown about under water on moya was cut, most scarran scenes were gone and so was most of the ending (stark's speech, harvey's goodbye, etc). so much more than that was lost too, and it angers me so much.

on top of that my picture kept freezin, losin sound and going black. the cuts weren't even done neatly. it was a waste of time and i just hope PKwars gets shown on a channel like ITV or BBC/2 and they show it all the way through because farscape is worth the time and effort. damn it.
scorpius; religion is an individual choice; either you believe and, therefore bunnies are unecessary, or you don't, in which case chocolate.
HELLOcake
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby littlejamie on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:53 pm

I just have to say that totally sucks that FIVE did that.

I couldn't watch because I don't get that channel where I live.

Totally agree. Farscape is worth the time.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Emram on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:42 pm

There was a lot missing, yes, and some fairly important bits - but only to us. People who hadn't seen Farscape before will have had no idea about Harvey, or even Scorpius's cooling system, so things like this would actually have been more confusing.

I'm not saying that five did a great job of editing, but some of the things they removed were sensible options.

And as for your reception breaking up, I can only assume that was your reception, as I had no problems at all - I'm guessing from your description that you were watching through a Freeview box?
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby ScarranHalfBreed on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:42 pm

Emram wrote:There was a lot missing, yes, and some fairly important bits - but only to us. People who hadn't seen Farscape before will have had no idea about Harvey, or even Scorpius's cooling system, so things like this would actually have been more confusing.

I'm not saying that five did a great job of editing, but some of the things they removed were sensible options.

Emram, I CANNOT DISAGREE WITH YOU ENOUGH. I don't know how ANYONE can have this opinion. It's apalling that they edited this in the way they did. To do what Five did is an act of vandalism.

I'm utterly disgusted. Why did they show it at all?
ScarranHalfBreed
Luxan Warrior

Postby HELLOcake on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:15 pm

its ridiculous. for newcomers, harvey wasnt explained at all. to them, that must have been SO random! and the cuts didnt even follow; one minute the crew were escaping the scarrans and then john was flyin down a wormhole - it made no sense. another example was when moya was underwater and then FIVE just cut straight to onland, without any kind of neatness or warning about it whatsoever. it really didnt work.
scorpius; religion is an individual choice; either you believe and, therefore bunnies are unecessary, or you don't, in which case chocolate.
HELLOcake
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Emram on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 pm

ScarranHalfBreed wrote:
Emram wrote:There was a lot missing, yes, and some fairly important bits - but only to us. People who hadn't seen Farscape before will have had no idea about Harvey, or even Scorpius's cooling system, so things like this would actually have been more confusing.

Emram, I CANNOT DISAGREE WITH YOU ENOUGH. I don't know how ANYONE can have this opinion. It's apalling that they edited this in the way they did. To do what Five did is an act of vandalism.

I'm utterly disgusted. Why did they show it at all?

You are perfectly entitled to disagree with me. However, I stand by what I said. Within the storyline of PKW, Harvey wasn't involved, and therefore to include the death scene wasn't necessary.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby HELLOcake on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:41 pm

but to include an explanation as to why som random scene with scorpius dressed as einstein actually happened, was.
HELLOcake
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Emram on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:05 pm

Good point, but they presumably had to cut some bits out, so getting rid of the Harvey death scene made more sense - that ties into about two and half series of previous stuff, whereas Einstein Harvey would only be a bit weird but still perinent to the PKW story as a whole. Harvey dying wasn't actually pertinent to the story of PKW.

And I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, by the way - showing the whole thing would have been better, but I don't think that the changes they made were a travesty, or that it would have been better off not shown at all.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby ScarranHalfBreed on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 am

My friend (a fan) watched it for the first time without realising it was cut, and said that the story jumped about way too much and he found it difficult to follow. He said that certain characters came and went without any explanation and the crew arrived at certain planets for no reason.

He thought it was the ACTUAL cut, and said he couldn't understand the positive reviews. We had an argument about it (we're a couple of geeks, OK?!) and I only realised he had seen the cut version on Five a few days later.
ScarranHalfBreed
Luxan Warrior

Postby Emram on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm

ScarranHalfBreed wrote:My friend (a fan) watched it for the first time without realising it was cut, and said that the story jumped about way too much and he found it difficult to follow. He said that certain characters came and went without any explanation and the crew arrived at certain planets for no reason.

He thought it was the ACTUAL cut, and said he couldn't understand the positive reviews. We had an argument about it (we're a couple of geeks, OK?!) and I only realised he had seen the cut version on Five a few days later.

Ah, now we have some proper feedback! OK, if you're friend didn't get it, then it suggests that it wasn't easy to follow - however, my personal suspicion is that any non-Farscape fan would struggle with PKW. My comment on cutting out Harvey's death still stands.

is what I originally posted, by the way!

Let's be honest, Farscape had a deeper, more involving storyline in 4 seasons than some series have in twice as many, so it's not going to be easy for someone completely new to it to get the whole idea of what's going on. PKW was made for us, the existing fans, to give us the ending that the series deserved; any new fans it picked up would be more of a bonus than anything else.

Hopefully enough people who watched it (and, apparently, were confused by it) will have enjoyed it enough to get on the internet, go to their rental shop or DVD retailer and find out more.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Emram on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:29 pm

And on a side note, Harvey appearing as Einstein with no explanation isn't as hard to grasp as you might think - my fiancee has never watched any Farscape (apart from a token effort with the first couple of episodes), and she saw bits of PKW with me.

When she saw "Harv-stein", she immediately recognised that he a) wasn't "real", and b) wasn't "the other freaky looking man in black."

She recognised that Harvey was in John's head - how he got there wasn't really that important to the story of PKW, as far as a newbie is concerned. Hence my belief that editing out Harvey's death was a (relatively) sensible option.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby littlejamie on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:31 am

To me Harvey's death is an important scene in PKW. He has been in John's head so long, and they have established some sort of weird interesting friendship inside John's head. Which for me is very entertaining to watch.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby thoth on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Not living in the UK I can't comment on the cut that was aired, but I have to disagree about Harvey's death scene being unimportant to PKW. With the Harvey death scene you at least have some explanation for why John went into a deathlike coma and then snapped out of it once Harvey's program "uninstalled" itself. Without it, John coming back to life is just another random scene that seriously stretches credulity. "What? He just comes back to life? What the frell???" :roll:
Sikozu: Tell me, when will we stop following this human and start imposing our agenda on him?
Scorpius: We already have...
thoth
Delvian Pa'u

Postby littlejamie on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:17 pm

Exactly. That's what I think as well.

He also went into the deathlike coma because Einstein removed removed the "Wormhole weapons" in his head as well. Which is why Harvey's death happened too.

The weapoms technology is probably why Harvey stayed in John's mind after the chip was removed. At least I think that.

So it really is an important moment in my opinion.
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby HELLOcake on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:10 pm

good point.

i have to say that the random cuts were what annoyed me most though. there just wasn't enough explanation as to why the crew were doing certain things or at certain places when these cuts happened.
HELLOcake
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Next

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars