Scorpy's makeup

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Scorpy's makeup

Postby abruptdogma on Thu May 05, 2005 10:53 am

Is it just me or does the change of scorpious' makeup in the mini series kinda detract from the continuity. It just doesnt look right and it bugs me!
Last edited by abruptdogma on Thu May 05, 2005 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
John: "Dargo tell him who his daddy is"

Dargo: "Im your daddy"
abruptdogma
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Ru on Thu May 05, 2005 11:20 am

Its not just you - it bugged Wayne too. Have you read scaperfan's ozscape con reports?

http://www.farscapeworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3601

Wayne talked about it at the con!
Ru
Delvian Pa'u

Postby abruptdogma on Thu May 05, 2005 11:33 am

yeah I did read that. Thats good that he was concerned about it too. I understand that the had to start from scratch with the mini series in terms of most of the production, so it wouldnt be exactly the same, but it just raises a point that irks me about most sci fi. The evolution of characters in sci fi, especially ones thats have prostetics usually evolves e.g compare dargo in series one to the remaining series'. Not just farscape but all sci fi - look at the klingons in star trek. They usually all end up looking better but its one thing that serves to "date" a series I find!

abruptdogma
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby SCORPIUS on Fri May 06, 2005 6:24 pm

apart from scorps makeup there were other makeups i thought were spoiled - ahkna didnt look as good as she did in the fourth series and the new look long necked scarrans just didnt look as menacing this time round. scorps didnt look too bad and i can get used to it, but it just didnt lk as 'realistic', it was too shiny and smooth for scorps face, lol
I WOZ ERE
ERE I WOZ
WOZ I ERE
YES I WOZ
SCORPIUS
Delvian Pa'u

Postby BritAngie on Sat May 07, 2005 9:36 am

SCORPIUS wrote:apart from scorps makeup there were other makeups i thought were spoiled - ahkna didnt look as good as she did in the fourth series and the new look long necked scarrans just didnt look as menacing this time round. scorps didnt look too bad and i can get used to it, but it just didnt lk as 'realistic', it was too shiny and smooth for scorps face, lol

They changed some of the make ups though because they thought the mini series was going to be filmed in digital which is higher defininition and make up would have looked odd. But they then went back to their normal media so as a result the make up wasn't optimised for that and we have this slightly different look. You'd be amazed how different some stuff can look depending on what sort of media is recording it.
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby BlackAdder on Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:43 pm

I was one of the few fans not bugged by the change in Scorpy's appearance. It was so radical for me that I ended up being pulled out of the story and Wayne Pygram always acts the frell out of any scene he is in.

Particularly after all the Havey incarnations of season's past - they could have stuck a live chicken atop Pygram's head and I probably wouldn't have noticed - the actor just pulls me right in by uttering a single sentence. Also, whereas Scorpy's costume and makeup were always a high point in the series, it was truly Pygram's voice and eyes that made Scorpius for me.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Postby abruptdogma on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:28 am

oh yeah Ill give you that, no disrespect to waynes performance, that man is the best. But tell me this, is it just me or does harveys make up look more or less the same as it always did, but scorpy's was the radical difference?

abruptdogma
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby BlackAdder on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:27 pm

You know, I think you're right.

I was so sucked in as soon as Scorpius intones "John Cricthon is alive." that I honestly forgot for the majority of the first viewing that "Huh...Scorpy's face looks...different." The makeup changed but Pygram delivered so well in spite of that. I was so impressed by that because it had been a while and yet he stepped back into character with seeming ease.

It was on repeat viewings that I said "What the frell did they do to his face? Scorpy's never looked vaguely ...puffy...before!"

First viewing? I was sucked in and it honestly went sailing over my head.

However, the shading around the face (particularly the eyes) and the more sunken appearance of his face did seems to be closer to be on target in the Harvey scenes. Oddly, particularly in the Einstien-Harvey scene. Again in the Contruction-Harvey too.
BlackAdder
Nebari Snurcher

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars