Couple of other questions....

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby BrentBarrett on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:19 pm

Rav Winston wrote:I don't suppose anyone had thought of, say...taking her pants off for the birth? Or at least down?

(After all, she was in a fountain! Hidden up to the waist! Why ruin a perfectly good pair of pants?)

Middle of a battle, in which she may have had to run at a moment's notice? I know, I know... in the real world, being naked while running for your life wouldn't be a big concern, but this was TV... ;)
The John and Aeryn Site
http://www.johnaeryn.com

BrentBarrett
Peacekeeper High Command

Right

Postby HezmanaGirl on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 pm

I did like the fact that when Aeryn was handed the knife her immediate response was to cut the baby out and when John explained that it was for her pants her response was a pained "Right". I also have two kids and sure had a similar thought in my mind after a few hours of labor. I sure had some definite deja vu with her agonized screams. Kinda made me chuckle seeing someone else's response that was so similar to mine. I sure could also identify with her "I feel so frelling helpless." It was good to see her softer side come out and then have her snap back into PK mode protecting the infant.
"Shooting makes me feel better!" Aeryn PKW
HezmanaGirl
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby scapecadet on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:05 pm

BB, I think you would be surprised how certain strong certain inhibitions can be - running naked, even if for your life in the middle of a battle may still be unacceptable, because your nakedness would make you feel even more vulnerable..
And as for taking those tight fitting pants off in the middle of labour - well, I am sorry to say, but only a man can say this.. :D Taking them off under normal circumstances would be a bit tricky, let alone in pain and with a huge tummy..

JC to Akhna: "It's a question of balls.. the ball is in his court!"

Claudia: Quit. Prompting.Me.Woman!? WOMAN!!??
scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Rav Winston on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 pm

Yet her pants were magically dry and intact in the next scene?

Well...okay, but still....
"What's so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?!"

--Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Rav Winston
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:35 pm

scapecadet wrote:BB, I think you would be surprised how certain strong certain inhibitions can be - running naked, even if for your life in the middle of a battle may still be unacceptable, because your nakedness would make you feel even more vulnerable..

It's a simple fact that a naked human feels uncomfortable and vulnerable. It's like walking without shoes on, in most cases, is unpleasant and not somethig most people would want to do.

In certain cases, ie walking on the beach, or inside your own home, you feel fine, but the beach is a cultural conditioning issue - walking along a beach with no shoes on is normal - and in your own home is because that's one place you feel most comfortable and least vulnerable. I don't wear shoes in my house, but I do feel a little uncomfortable for a while when someone asks me to take my shoes off in their house.
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby stlscape on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:58 am

Rav Winston wrote:Yet her pants were magically dry and intact in the next scene?

Haven't you ever heard of drip dry and of self-healing materials? :P
stlscape
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Urpling on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:14 am

Rav Winston wrote:I don't suppose anyone had thought of, say...taking her pants off for the birth? Or at least down?

(After all, she was in a fountain! Hidden up to the waist! Why ruin a perfectly good pair of pants?)

Oh, I so like you, Rav...love all your posts...

..............more?

You can be with me, in a crisis, any time you like! You got your head screwed on right!

And scapecadet...I like your half-glass full way of being...you sunshiny girl! Yep...some women go off (on their own!) into the bush, squat and push...and that's it...come back and get on with life. It always did make me mad, being asked to lie on my back. (So the medical staff could be in control!...like I had some 'condition'.) Refused of course and got called all sorts of things by the 'experts'. I also walked around, danced, swayed and probably looked all kinds of a fool...but I was listening to my body...it knew what to do...(a good example of when thinking doesn't help one tiny bit). It's all raw instinct...you're caught up in something as wild and timeless as space itself ...it's awesome to be a part of exploding Existence...it changed me for ever. (To use Scorpy's words: "I've never felt so....connected...")
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby Urpling on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am

Emram wrote:
scapecadet wrote:BB, I think you would be surprised how certain strong certain inhibitions can be - running naked, even if for your life in the middle of a battle may still be unacceptable, because your nakedness would make you feel even more vulnerable..

It's a simple fact that a naked human feels uncomfortable and vulnerable. It's like walking without shoes on, in most cases, is unpleasant and not somethig most people would want to do.

In certain cases, ie walking on the beach, or inside your own home, you feel fine, but the beach is a cultural conditioning issue - walking along a beach with no shoes on is normal - and in your own home is because that's one place you feel most comfortable and least vulnerable. I don't wear shoes in my house, but I do feel a little uncomfortable for a while when someone asks me to take my shoes off in their house.

Oooooohhhh....then avoid China and Japan then... :) and a few other places...it's an insult to walk in the house with your shoes still on your feet! And butt-naked makes more sense, given practical concerns like the climate etc., in many, many cultures.

We have a legacy of Judeo-Christian inhibitions to get over...about nakedness...it seems to me...here in the West.

We girls (at least in our department at work) often take our shoes off...esp. on a hot sunny day...students make rude comments of course...and then start taking theirs off too...

Says something about feeling at home, doesn't it? :D
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby scapecadet on Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 pm

Emram, you shame me, you innocent - I was not talking about the feet feeling vulnerable (altho I know what you mean - I visited a house, where the son was into snakes and reptiles and had a room full of terraria - as it was custom to take ones shoes off, I did, but felt really uncomfortable walking bearfoot in a house with such creatures in it. I must have looked ridiculous stepping high as if walking in the bush trying to avoid snakes).

Urpling, good on you. The hospital experience traumatised me so much, I wanted nothing to do with it the 2nd time around - home was the only place for me and it was much better - that is why I know that your body, if allowed to be in control, takes care of you in difficult situations.

JC to Akhna: "It's a question of balls.. the ball is in his court!"

Claudia: Quit. Prompting.Me.Woman!? WOMAN!!??
scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Re: Couple of other questions....

Postby ScorpyCrichton on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:47 pm

5. PKs must be incrediby resilient. Aeryn had her baby and was running and killing the bad guys a few minutes later. I've had two kids and I swear I slept the next two days!

Never had a baby and don't have the right insides to ever have one but at a guess, she might be able to 'cos she wasn't drugged up when she had the baby?
ScorpyCrichton
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Nope

Postby HezmanaGirl on Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:57 pm

Sorry, I wasn't drugged at all. I was just incredibly tired and I also knew that since we'd be in hospital for at least two days I'd better get some sleep. I haven't got much since! :lol:
"Shooting makes me feel better!" Aeryn PKW
HezmanaGirl
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby Rav Winston on Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:42 pm

Urpling wrote:

Oh, I so like you, Rav...love all your posts...

..............more?

You can be with me, in a crisis, any time you like! You got your head screwed on right!

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, shucks! :oops:
"What's so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?!"

--Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Rav Winston
Peacekeeper High Command

Previous

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars