The Birth - minor spoiler

This forum is specifically to discuss anything to do with the story of the mini-series. <b>This forum contains SPOILERS!</b>

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby scapecadet on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:58 pm

yotzintheuk wrote:Hi all, this is my second posting so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes with this but...

Regarding the pregnancy - How did Rygel manage to carry a 'living' baby when that baby must have been crystalised along with John and Aeryn, but since Aeryn was not pregnant when she and John were reconstituted then the baby must have still been in a crystalised state inside Rygel's stomach. Curious. :(

Sorry to nitpick, I love FS but this little gaff did seem a bit obvious to me. Any suggestions?

I know, I wondered that too. The way I rationalised that for myself is that we did not see everything due to shortage of time. A and J get the idea and rush off to put Rygel through the machine, just in case and voila, after that the diagnosan confirms pregnancy. We just did not get to see all the details. Does this help? :)

JC to Akhna: "It's a question of balls.. the ball is in his court!"

Claudia: Quit. Prompting.Me.Woman!? WOMAN!!??
scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby TINemo on Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:04 pm

My guess about Scorpious is that he had his head, face etc altered by the diagnosian who installed his cooling rod device(remember he thanks him before trying to kill him while John is on the table with hs brain exposed)

Scorp must have had any alterations before he joined the peacekeepers(he looks very mch the same except for his outfit) and he was aided along the way by Natari as that is referenced in scenes with her.

Wayne's comentary on the 4.3 or 4.4 disc says somethng about hm always changing and evolving(like the update of the cooling rods that Sikuzo apparently did),

I have never been able to understand how a device that large can be in the middle of hi head. It would cross the corpus collusium and enter both cerebral hemisphes--thus becoming a space occupying lession that should damage function. Also it comes out red and gory though Scorp bleeds white goo when shot. Also it would be an incredibly dangerous portal for infection and they handle the rods with bare hands. But----it does look cool and creepy and that's a good thing.
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Winona on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:19 pm

TINemo wrote:My guess about Scorpious is that he had his head, face etc altered by the diagnosian who installed his cooling rod device(remember he thanks him before trying to kill him while John is on the table with hs brain exposed)

Scorp must have had any alterations before he joined the peacekeepers(he looks very mch the same except for his outfit) and he was aided along the way by Natari as that is referenced in scenes with her.

Wayne's comentary on the 4.3 or 4.4 disc says somethng about hm always changing and evolving(like the update of the cooling rods that Sikuzo apparently did),

I have never been able to understand how a device that large can be in the middle of hi head. It would cross the corpus collusium and enter both cerebral hemisphes--thus becoming a space occupying lession that should damage function. Also it comes out red and gory though Scorp bleeds white goo when shot. Also it would be an incredibly dangerous portal for infection and they handle the rods with bare hands. But----it does look cool and creepy and that's a good thing.

:D You are great.. I totally love (and make a point of) reading a thread with your comments giving a 'reality check' analysis (professional knowledge) ... you seem to get a kick out of taking note of all the neglected science, yet you still love the show? Why do you not get infuriated to the point of turning it off... what draws you to Farscape?
"the 'right thing' starts at the beginning of the day... not after you have been caught" - John Crichton to Rygel - Family Ties S1.22
Winona
Nebari Snurcher

Postby TINemo on Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:05 am

I've been reading scifi since the (gasp) 1950s! I have owned and read every copy of Asimov's magazine since it was published. I like the genre.

Farscape is a quantum leap ahead of most scifi shows. Just go back and watch a Star Trek or (gag) Buck Rogers. There is no, i say NO comparison. And the show itself, and the characters are intelligent, they react, they evolve. The writers come up with twists and turns and outrageous ideas (like the kangaroo-like embryo stasis---a kangaroo really does have a Joey in the pouch, an embryo growing and a fertilized egg in stasis all at the same time)--so how Australian was that whopper.

It's adult, it's quirky, it's fun. I like to pick at some of the obvious discrepencies, so while I am able to accept Leviathans--I think they should have to eat and excrete.They use energy so it must come from somewhere(one of those scientific laws). stomachs are for digesting, not gestation, white blooded Scarrans should not have red brain tissue(maybe) and nobody should have a hole thru most of their brain area and still be so smart. Some of the stuff, like crystalization just is a plot line, but some of the * errors* could be avoided with a bit of research--and if the writer is lazy, I call him/her on it. It's the teacher in me I guess.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Winona on Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:49 pm

Thanks for that insight TINemo. Your letting your age show though :wink:
I watched 2001 A Space Odyssey the other day (ashamed to say in its totality for the first time) It really is a visual bench mark for the Sci Fi genre we know and love today, apart from the 60's suits and fashion at the start, it really has not dated!. I didn't realise how many movies and shows it has since influenced!
This has lead me to think about all the stuff Farscape has ripped off :lol: - which you gotta do, because lets face it, no one has actually experienced living in Space first hand so other influences are bound to be your only source of creative writing. Yes? or Maybe? or Not?
Therefore thinking of the thread and the 'Birth Scene' and the rarity of this in SciFI (Farscape swinging towards the 'human element' rather than the techno element again - which is why I love the show). 'V' did this in their show with a human giving birth to the 'Star child' (but that does not count really because that was on earth we did not like the whiney girl and the baby was green :wink: )

Maybe I should start another threat for what Farscape as ripped off? Though the creators always cover themselves by saying this or that was done in homage to _ _ _
"the 'right thing' starts at the beginning of the day... not after you have been caught" - John Crichton to Rygel - Family Ties S1.22
Winona
Nebari Snurcher

Postby CdnFarscape on Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:51 am

TINemo wrote:I've been reading scifi since the (gasp) 1950s! I have owned and read every copy of Asimov's magazine since it was published. I like the genre.

Just thought I'd get my 2 cents in here...

Asimov is a god... I am only 23 so I've had to get my fill through his novels (fiction and non-fiction) and collections of short stories, since the magazines are hard for me to get a hold of... but I've read everything of his that I could get my hands on... I love the technicality and rationality of his writing. I definitely credit his work as being a major influence on my love of sci-fi and fantasy, and I also credit him with being a major influence on my love of reading.

Cdn
CdnFarscape
Kalish Resistance

Postby scapecadet on Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:30 pm

I love the way this thread has developed.
I've loved scifi since I was a kid and devouring 10 books of different genres a week. From the more recent authors, I admire Greg Bear and Ian M.Banks (whose books really feel like they inspired a lot of FS).

In response to TINemo:
First of all, do not worry about showing your age. I was really reluctant to join any board because I thought it was only for youngsters, but this board if full of all sorts and I love it for that. What's beautiful is that we can all contribute in our own way.
As to your points - I too like the 'reality check' moments. Just like when visiting stately homes/castles, I find the kitchens and servants' quarters the most interesting parts; I like the practical sides of life in scifi shown too. I regret that apart from the dentics, we do not see any other facilities for maintaining hygiene, getting and cleaning their clothes etc. Just one point about stomach for gestation - that was a mistake due to Rygel storing the crystals by swallowing them - it was never going to work and had to be rectified quite quickly, so I am willing to accept this one.

scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Scaper Queen on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:41 am

About why the baby was not crystalized...I had assumed that it was too small to be crystalized at that point. What I thought was a bit unrealistic is that Aeryn was immediatly up and walking around after she had the baby and the baby didn't cry almost at all during the fights.
Scaper Queen
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby scapecadet on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:54 pm

Scaper Queen wrote:About why the baby was not crystalized...I had assumed that it was too small to be crystalized at that point. What I thought was a bit unrealistic is that Aeryn was immediatly up and walking around after she had the baby and the baby didn't cry almost at all during the fights.

I think that under the circumstances, it was not surprising Aeryn got up and did what she did - flight or fight syndrome - untill she was safe, her body produced chemicals to allow her to do what was necessary to save her baby. It's only when we relax and surrender control that we start feeling pain and colapse (like a car crash victim, who is able to crawl and does not feel any pain until the ambulance arrives at which stage the control is handed over to the doctor and the brain stops manufacturing necessary chemicals)

scapecadet
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:24 pm

Aeryn herself is surprised by the baby's reaction to the shooting - I believe it is when they are back on obard Moya, and the baby starts to scream - "Now you cry?" she said.
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby CdnFarscape on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:39 am

scapecadet wrote:
Scaper Queen wrote:About why the baby was not crystalized...I had assumed that it was too small to be crystalized at that point. What I thought was a bit unrealistic is that Aeryn was immediatly up and walking around after she had the baby and the baby didn't cry almost at all during the fights.

I think that under the circumstances, it was not surprising Aeryn got up and did what she did - flight or fight syndrome - untill she was safe, her body produced chemicals to allow her to do what was necessary to save her baby. It's only when we relax and surrender control that we start feeling pain and colapse (like a car crash victim, who is able to crawl and does not feel any pain until the ambulance arrives at which stage the control is handed over to the doctor and the brain stops manufacturing necessary chemicals)

I suppose that is also a part of the Sebacean soldier physiology... just as pregnancy is accelerated, so would be a mother's ability to recover... in order to get back to their military life faster... just a thought...

Cdn
CdnFarscape
Kalish Resistance

Postby Emram on Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:10 pm

One would assume that would be the case. If they can speed up a baby's gestation, they could certainly accelerate the healing process.
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby shizuka on Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:03 pm

TINemo wrote:And while we're picking the story apart----Rygel greenblooded Hynerian that he is would be DNA incompatible for a human/sebacean fetus. Also supposedly the fetus is in one of his three stomachs(not in the abdominal cavity) where one would think it was subjected to stomach acids and other digestive juices--unless he can turn one stomach off?

Yeah I wondered about that to. Where the heck could he keep the baby and not have it subject to the normal activities of a stomach. And how could he feel contractions, I remember him complaining of pain caused by the baby.
I think it would have been more believable and funnier if Chiana had the baby in her. Can anyone really image her pregnant and giving birth?
shizuka
Peacekeeper Commander

Previous

Return to The Peacekeeper Wars