Clones, mandroids and other stories

Scooby Scapers chat

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Emeraldcity

Clones, mandroids and other stories

Postby Sandworm on Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:31 pm

"Are you sure?" said Rae. "It's a very... strenuous procedure."

She was standing across a small, private room from Sandworm, the poor guy who had forever been trapped as a teenager.

"I want to know what I would have been like. If I had been able... to grow. I will never age in the conventional sense, my body will never progress beyond that of a teenager."

The deepness, the feeling in his reply surprised her. Sandworm was not one who often showed his true feelings, or showed himself feeling anything very deeply. And yet, here he was, asking her for this thing, which seemed so little, and yet also so precious to him.

"Let me get this straight. You want me to make a mandroid, near enough another you, so you can find out how you would have lived and progressed in this environment?"
"Yes, Rae. I need to know. I will grow, I will change, I will mature. But I will never see what I could have been if I had not chosen this path in anger."

Once again, Rae noticed that Sandworm was reaching inside himself, expressing emotions that he had buried so deep, she suspected he had forgotten he even possessed them.

"Not one day passes when I feel this slow change, that I wonder what would have happened to me if I had never left Rakis."

Suddenly, the open Sandworm, the hurting Sandworm, withdrew, and she was left once again with the controlled individual she was more accustomed to.

(yep, I can't sleep again. Here is some character development brought on by that email. feel free to chip in - I am bound to run out of ideas eventually.)
ImageImage

Sikozu: "Do you have any plan of escape?"
Aeryn: "Run"
Sikozu: "Anything more detailed?"
Aeryn: "Run quickly" - Bringing home the Beacon

"I'm a damn scientist!" - John, Premiere

www.freewebs.com/farscapevirtualseason5
Virtual Season 5: The Peacekeeper Wars may be over, but the story continues.
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby JilaCosa on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:20 pm

"hmmmm." Rae thought for a moment. "Okay, now, you realize that the other mandroids aren't aging very quickly?"

"Uh, well, no. I hadn't." Sandworm frowned as he thought about this. "I haven't been here that long. Remember? So why not?"

"They're programmed to age at my rate." Rae sat down on the couch and offered Sandworm a seat at the other end. "I'm Sebacean, and you know we age slower than Terrans. I didn't want them to die before I did."

"But you could create more?"

"Wouldn't really be the same. Not to me anyway."

"Couldn't you program mine to age at Terran speed?"

"I could." Rae nodded. "Just a matter of a tweak here and there." Rae studied Sandworm for a bit. "Be an awful long time to watch somebody. Don't you think?"

"I'll live that long and then some." Sandworm tapped the sandworms that had become his skin.

"Do you think he'll want you watching him for the rest of his life? I'm not trying to sound like what you want is wrong. I'm just wondering how you're going to go about getting the information you want. Also, will he live here or on Arrakis? Here he/you will be a totally different person. On Arrakis he'd undoubtedly live in Arrakeen. How will you keep track of him then?"

Sandworm's face contorted slightly. He hadn't thought of that. She was right. Here was a different place than Arrakis.

"I do have a suggestion though." Rae said quickly to fill up the dead air. "Now this might sound silly, but hear my out."

"Okay." Sandworm said slowly.

"We have a friend who I think might be willing to help." Rae gave a small sigh as she quickly thought of what the man had given her. "His name is Mr. Roarke and he grants wishes. Not your typical I wish to be a millionaire type wish. He lets you live out situations that you'd never experience otherwise."

"Have you experienced this yourself?" Sandworm asked.

"Yes." Rae's voice went very soft as she turned her head away from Sandworm's view. When she turned back her face showed no emotion, but her eyes could tell volumes. "Care to meet him?"
Still diagonally parked in a parallel universe
The FarScapeScoobyGang
JilaCosa
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Sandworm on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:38 pm

"Yes. I would like to." It was all he needed to say. In return, his eyes spoke volumes about what he had missed, what he had lost and what he had been denied. Rae didn't pry - she knew better.

(guys, I'm going off for a week. keep writing for me!)
ImageImage

Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Kayde on Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:22 pm

kay didn't say anything. She knew Sandworm didn't want to be approached just yet. But she looked at him and felt his pain. She was concerned.
Puppies....They eat, they sleep, they play, they pee, they poop and they make us smile...
Kayde
Delvian Pa'u

Postby KaraS on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:04 pm

"I have a question." Kara said. "Sandworm, aren't the sand trout rewriting your DNA to change you into a sandworm? Do you have any old DNA samples from before you started to change?"
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Sandworm on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:42 pm

"DNA samples from deep inside my body would be largely unaffected - my metamorphosis has not been going on long enough to fully modify my DNA yet. Otherwise, I would not look quite so human as I do."

Sandworm paused a moment, thinking of the great God Emperor Leto Atreides II, and the state of the transformation he had reached before his untimely death.

"This has only been done once before in recorded history, by an... individual far more suited to thousands of years of solitude."

Sandworm stopped and shuddered. Not a moment had passed recently when a part of his thoroughly segmented mentat-like mind did not regret his acts. All for power.
ImageImage

Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby JilaCosa on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:56 pm

"Do you really think that cloning is the way to go with this?" Jila had considered both sides as the discussion continued. "It seems to me that placing yourself back into Arrakeen society... or were you born a Fremen?" Jila hadn't thought about that until just that moment. "It would probably be easier for your clone to rejoin a Fremen community. But then you'd still need to be there to watch the decisions that you'd make. And what if your clone made the same decision that you've already made? Then there would be two of you wondering what would have happened if you had't chosen the sandworms." Realizing that she had talking rapidly Jila took a deep breath and started again. "Not that I'm trying to talk you out of anything but cloning seems to be the more difficult way to go."
Still diagonally parked in a parallel universe
The FarScapeScoobyGang
JilaCosa
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Sandworm on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:08 pm

"Yes, the fremen..." Sandworm paused, looking distant. "Do you remember me still, Freith?"

Silence. Sandworm stood, surrounded by his friends.

"more difficult?" he said, questioningly, turning to Jila as she spoke. "What's the alternative? No-one ever suggested some... other way?"
ImageImage

Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Return to Scooby Chat