Scooby Crab Festival!

Scooby Scapers chat

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Emeraldcity

Scooby Crab Festival!

Postby KaraS on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:24 pm

Since none of us can afford to go up to Alaska to joine Grackne for the Crab Festival, let's have our own!

*KaraS tours the virtual Crab Festival looking at all the displays and exhibits. Somebody offers her a free bowl of Crab Chowder. Oh Boy!*

Um, Grack? Exactly what DO you see at the Crab Festival?
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:29 pm

Crabs, presumably :lol: :roll:
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Crabs, Yum!

Postby KaraS on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:42 pm

Gotta be more to it than that. I watch the food network. I think I've seen the episode of National Festivals (or whatever it's called) on the Crab Festival. There are recipe contests and lots of free tastes. And demonstrations of, um, crab catching. And stuff.

Come on Grack, help me out here.
KaraS

For we are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams - Willy Wonka
KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:48 pm

Yeah, but they're crab recipes, and free tastes of crab flavoured things. So basically, lots of crabs.

Not that there's anything wrong with crabs - a fine tasting crustacean, in my opinion. I was simply making the point that, if you go to a crab festival and expect to see anything other than lots of crabs, you'll probably go away a bit disappointed!

But anyway, in the nature of the thread -

"My God!" Emram said, as he and Kara walked past a stall. "I've never seen a crab that big before!"

"Come over here, and try this!" Kara said, darting to another stall. She held out a fork with a small piece of crab cake on, and Emram took a taste.

"Mmm, delicious! I say," he said to the lady running the stall, "could I possibly have the recipe for that? It's wonderful!"

Snigger, snigger. Hope that's what you were talking about, K (falls around on floor, clutching sides and crying with laughter. Stops doing so and starts crying in pain as Kara comes over and angrily puts the boot in)
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

*wink*

Postby KaraS on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 pm

On our e-mail list we were discussing the Crab Festival (near where Grackne lives in Alaska) and her invitation to join her at said event. And the fact that nobody can afford to travel to Alaska, much as we would enjoy it.

So, we make our own virtual fun...
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby RagnarRB on Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:31 am

Emram, you are proving wise and understanding far beyond you mere weeks in our company. Kara putting her foot in was very insightful. :)

I've never been to a crab festival either but I had helped shell crabs, or rather helped sort them as they shed their own shells. Soft crabs are live when they go to market. You put them in big vats and keep them alive as you sort the newly 'soft' from the hard.
RagnarRB
Nebari Snurcher

Postby chryse on Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:01 am

mmmmm
*drool*
fried soft shell crabs
crab cakes
steamed crab legs with melted butter
*drool*
Too many clicks spoil the browse......
chryse
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Okay

Postby Kayde on Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:04 am

Kayde shoved herself in with the others. Did I hear crab legs in butter and crab cakes? Oh my........crab and seafood heaven.
Kay closes her eyes to enjoy the aroma and taste.Mmmmmm..........
Puppies....They eat, they sleep, they play, they pee, they poop and they make us smile...
Kayde
Delvian Pa'u

Postby Mousey on Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:17 pm

Emram wrote:Snigger, snigger. Hope that's what you were talking about, K (falls around on floor, clutching sides and crying with laughter. Stops doing so and starts crying in pain as Kara comes over and angrily puts the boot in)

*snicker*

I'm discovering I like crabs more and more, lately. Crab chowder sounds good, as well as those king crab legs...

Mmmm.

GOOD!
Mousey
Peacekeeper Commander

Enjoying the festival

Postby KaraS on Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:57 pm

Kara explored the festival with Emran, Ragnar, Kaydee, Chryse and Mousie. They enjoyed tastes of various crab recipies. Soon it was time for the crab leg eating contest. Who could shell and eat the most crab in the shortest amount of time?

Will the Scoobies join the contest? Will they win? And where the heck is Grackene? She was supposed to be the hostess at this shindig.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:50 pm

Emram and Ragnar sat down and prepared themselves for the crab leg eating contest. As soon as the contest was declared open, they dove in.

Emram got off to a flying start, while Ragnar attacked his first plateful at a slower pace.

Kara leaned over to Kayde.

"Emram's set a blinding pace, but has he gone too quickly too soon?"

"I'm thinking he's going to do it," Kayde replied. "Ragnar doesn't look like he's on top form at the moment."

"20 Scoob dollars says Rag wins," Kara offered.

"You're on," Kayde replied.

Emram was just finishing his second plateful as Ragnar cleared his first. The crowd looked on as the two Scoobs outstripped the other competitors. After about 10 minutes, Emram was on his 8th plate, while Ragnar was starting his 6th.

"Emram's still looking good," Kayde whispered.

"He is," Kara agreed, astounded by the furious pace the knight was setting. But then Ragnar changed gear, and began to gain ground on his friend. Emram looked over at his friend, juice running down his chin.

Just as Ragnar caught up with Emram, the two of them settled into a steady pace, more or less matching each other, plate for plate. Ragnar slowly began to eke ahead, but didn't look too healthy. Emram, however was looking in fine form, but couldn't quite match the burly Viking's pace. It was going to be a very tense contest.

After a full thirty five minutes, the other competitors had given up, and Emram and Ragnar were centre stage. Ragnar currently had a stack of 39 plates at his side, while Emram was just finishing his 38th plateful. Ragnar paused briefly to belch and catch his breath, Emram taking the opportunity to wolf down a goodly portion of his next plateful, bringing the two level again.

Could it go on much longer? Ragnar had a definite green tinge to his face, and Emram was clutching his stomach, his eyes glazed as he forced down every mouthful. He looked over as Ragnar finished his current plateful, and then reached for another. Emram shoved the last leg into his mouth, actually having to force it past his lips, and then put his hand on the next plate.

But it was too much. Looking over at Raganr, who was slowly digging in, he took his hand of his 40th plate of crab legs, and, with a faint sigh of relief, passed out, effectively handing his friend victory. Rag paused as he heard the thump, and looked round. He smiled faintly as he relaised that he had won, and then joined Emram on the floor, thier distended stomachs groaning and gurgling as the massive amount of crab legs they had consumed began to digest.

Kayde scowled as she handed Kara her 20 scoob dollars.

"Damn Limey," she muttered, glaring at Emram's slumbering form. The two turned to walk away and explore the festival some more, when they heard a strange noise from behind them. Ragnar's stomach had obviously decided that forty plates of crab legs didn't belong inside it, and the Viking, lying on his side, was noisily bringing it all back up again.

Kara and Kayde looked at each other, and Kara wordlessly handed over a 10 Scoob dollar bill. Kayde snickered, and pocketed the money.

"Ragnar still technically won," she reminded her chuckling friend.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Scoob dollars?

Postby KaraS on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:03 pm

Kara looked at the money in her hand.

"Scoob dollars? What are these?"

Kay shrugged. "I'm not sure. I just put my hand in my pocket and there they were."

Kara shook her head. "Wierd."
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:12 pm

(Whispers to Kara) You were supposed to play along with that - I have no idea what kind of currency will get you by in a completely fictional crab festival, which could be anywhere in the universe.
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Alaska

Postby KaraS on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:02 pm

This Crab Festival is in Alaska and the participants therin would assuredly use normal American money.

Well Emran, You're English, right? So I guess you haven't been enjoying the revamping of American currency with the rest of us. All of a sudden our $20 bills are all these strange colors instead of being green like they should be. And our other bills are changing one by one also. And our quarters all of a sudden come in 52 varieties and even our nickles are coming in alternate designs.

Yes, it is an exciting time to be a coin collector in the US.

In England I guess you just get to play with a dozen designs of Euros.

As for these Scoob dollars...

I guess we could play Monopoly.
KaraS

KaraS
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Emram on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:28 pm

We don't have the Euro in the UK, and I for one hope that we stay with the good old pound!

I went to Virginia back in April, and noticed loads of quarters with various State motifs on them. Is that what you mean? While I'm no coin collector, I'm trying to get all of them (only have 12 so far - another 38 to go!)

While American bills resembling "proper money" - different colours etc - will mean that I don't tip bad waiters twenty bucks, it's a shame to see the green bills go. The Colour Of Money won't mean the same thing anymore!

We in the UK have to deal with 1 pence, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1 pound and 2 pound coins, 5 pound, 10 pound, twenty pound and fifty pound notes! (Not that I see many of the fifty pound notes - I'm told that they're red in colour).At least everything is a different size.

and I apologise about the Scoob dollars. My horrendously useless memory failed to inform me at the time of posting that you had already said the festival was in Alaska. And yes, Scoob dollars are perfectly acceptable at all reputable Monopoly boards!
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Next

Return to Scooby Chat