Which John Crichton?

Talk about anything Farscape! Please direct specific discussions to their respective forums.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Which John Crichton?

Postby littlejamie on Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 am

I recently watched the pilot episode again. It made me think of a conversation I had a while back with one of my closest friends.

She is somewhat of a fan of the show. Her favorite season is season one; I asked her "why?" and she replied "John Crichton's innocence."

I know there has been discussion regarding which John you like better: Talyn John or Moya John? However this is not about that. This is simply about John Crichton.

Which do you prefer? The boyish wonder, full of innocence with his adorable blue eyes in season one. Or do you prefer the no-longer naive, turned soldier/hero with the "shoot first, ask later" attitude of season four/PK Wars?
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Firecracker on Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Tough choices.

Innocent John is awesome - but he is kinda dorky. Ok. Not just kinda. A lot.

Insane John (Season 2) was fascinating to watch, but as the season progressed it was more and more painful. So not Season 2.

TalynJohn and MoyaJohn have been discussed before - so I won't include them in this.

I guess the John I really like is Season 4/PK Wars John. Someone who has lived rough times and beautiful times. Someone who has made hard choices and had to live with the consequences. And someone who has had to live with the consequences of hard choices made by others.

Season 4/PK Wars is the adult John. Someone whose first choice when confronted with a difficult situation is NOT force, but who realises that sometimes running isn't going to solve the problem. And who is willing to stop and fight for what he sees as right.

So yeah. Adult John. Who does not view the universe through rose coloured glasses but also has not lost the ability to recognise the beauty around him.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:03 pm

I prefer both Crichton. The innocent one in firs season and the one that fights for those he love, even if that means acting against everything he has always believed.

Making a deal with Scorpius to free Aeryn from the Scarrans, building and using a wormhole weapon to save his family and friends...

These are both side of Crichton. I think that in spite of all that he went troguh, he still has that point of innocence and igenuity we all found in him in Premire.

He still believes in dialogue before fighting. Believe it or not.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

gift

Postby Philip Depalma on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

To qoute J Lo the only think she wants doesn't cost a thing: John's love.
Philip Depalma
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 pm

I completely agree with you, Philip!! John's love is the most precious gift she wishes.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Re: gift

Postby Firecracker on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:27 am

Philip Depalma wrote:To qoute J Lo the only think she wants doesn't cost a thing: John's love.

???

Unless I completely misunderstood Jamie's question - we were asked which John do we (i.e., the viewers) prefer. Innocent John of season one or Adult John of Season 4/PK Wars?

I don't think "John's love" comes into the question...

And who is 'she' anyway? Aeryn? Jamie's friend? Jamie?

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby littlejamie on Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:32 am

No you didn''t misunderstand the question.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Ancient_Einstein on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:24 pm

I like the more serious John from S4 and PK Wars and even as far back as season 2 as the memory of his mother points out, because the reason behind that transformation, was that becoming harder, more cautious, and more violent was the only way he could help protect the new friends and family he had made on Moya. You can actually see hints of that in A Human Reaction, and in his reactions in Nerve after his reluctance to violence fot Aeryn hurt in A Bug's Life.

So I like the transformation into season 4/PK Wars John, but the reason I like that character is because it is a transformation from the innocent John of early season 1. The before version was what gave the later evolutions meaning and relevance. And it's interesting to note his journey as a character seem to the exact opposite course than Aeryn's. Who was trained to be violent and guarded and learned to open up and experience wonder.
Ancient_Einstein
Nebari Snurcher

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:32 pm

In the place where he comes from, Earth, in his worls, I mena, family, friends.. his enviroment, his not used to violence. What happens? When John arrives in the Unchartred Territories, he first founds violence, on Moya and we know everything that vcomes next.

If you add Scorpious chasing him, Crais, Scorpius' neural chip and everything he saw and lived there, he had no other choice to change and adapt himself to that new enfiroment for him. Survival is his priority. But in this way to survival he makes some new and good friends, thanks to them he is not going crazaier ir even dead.

I like both John's, they both are intelligent, sweet, kind with those who deserve his kindness.

He had a tough fight inside himm but he made itm with Aeryn's love and his friend's support.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Re: Which John Crichton?

Postby Mreen on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:51 am

Season 1 John was sweet and very very likable :D ...but I confess, watching him in season 2, fold under pressure and go mad... well, I enjoy watching him more. [-o< (something must be wrong, huh? But I love him giving it all he's got in the cliffhanger resolution of season 3 first ep, tho essentially we just are seeing season 2 guy, but finally getting his swing in at the bad guy.)

I love Harvey of season 3, and his few appearences of season 4.

Just saying.

Season 4 John was great too tho- he was grown up, he was in love, but he was learning that as much as you love someone, it doesnt mean they'll ever be with you, or be good for you. He was on his own and fighting back, and dealing with Aeryn from a more equal position, which after 3 years of being left behind, was refreshing. Also more fun because he could finally treat her like an equal because he'd already given her time to grow, get her sea-legs in the rocky relationship journey, and it was time to sink or swim.

if there was a metaphor I forgot to mix there, it was not on purpose
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:48 pm

Mreen wrote:
if there was a metaphor I forgot to mix there, it was not on purpose

*chuckle*

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby littlejamie on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:53 am

I like both. The child John of season 1. So full of wonder and aw at all the new places they visited.

The adult John of season 4/pkwars. Completely in love, less naive more harder of a person. Changed by his experiences both good and bad. Who hates the cruelty of his actions when the innocents got hurt, but would do it all over again to protect the ones he loves.

Plus his inocence isn't gone completely. It isn't shown all that much after season 1, at least I think so. However I think it is shown when they are entering the temple and he whistles upon seeing the inside of it in pkwars.
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby AERYNSUN on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:34 am

I agree with you. John at the end of PKWARS when he and Aeryn tell their child that he will never know war, I see a mature John and Aeryn. They both have known the effects of war and finally will be having the life they have always wished.

John has been looking for peace but peace has a big price to pay and he paid it lots of times, pain, horror, killing..., the same as Aeryn. although war was her life.

They both have known both sides of war and peace.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby littlejamie on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 am

I agree with you too. Both John and Aeryn have become full circle in becoming mature. I see it too when they are telling their son that hopefully he will never know war.

J/A have been looking for peace since they met. He has paid a price looking for it. First with Crais. Secondly with Scorpius being a thorn in his side chasing and torturing him throughout the galaxy. Playing a big part in making John the guy that he became.

John at the end of Pkwars finally got what he has wanted since arriving in the UT's peace. Paying a major price on the path to getting there. For Aeryn it was her first time having grown up knowing battle, then being on the run since arriving on Moya. both have finally got what they have wished for since coming together peace. Being able to freely be in love living their lives together raising their son. Not in Horror. No longer on the run.
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Return to General Farscape