What ever happened to Susan?

Talk about anything Farscape! Please direct specific discussions to their respective forums.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

What ever happened to Susan?

Postby Chocolate on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:56 pm

How come we never see John's sister Susan? Is there ever any explanation for it? She's mentioned several times, and in Terra Firma we see her son, Bobby, and the second sister Olivia, but no Susan. Didn't she miss John?
In Kansas we only see one sister, but I don't know which one, I don't think they call her by name.

Was this ever explained?
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:27 pm

That's a good question, Chocolate, I was wondering the same thing. Susan never appears, althoug it was mentioned once or twice, in previous episodes, I think.

Maybe she is living in another country and can not go to the States to meet John. I don't know, that's my idea.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby TINemo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Don't really know why they chose never to cast Susan. It seemed she lived elsewhere than Florida but if your brother returned from outer space, you would think she'd make an effort to come visit.

Another one of the inexplicable pieces of Farscape/
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 pm

I agree with you. That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Or maybe she is working in another continent and unable to go home, or maybe she is dovorced, that would explain the presence og Bobby there.

Or maybe they don't have a vert good relationship with her.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mad on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Uhm aerynsun , I believe that this is suffice not to explain the absence of Susan...
Is a brother that does not see from four years!!!

Perhaps oblivion of the authors? a particular one neglected?

MAD of love....farscape.
Mad
Delvian Pa'u

Postby AERYNSUN on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Well, any of us, in real life, would do whaetever it takes to go home to meet our long lost brother, I will do it, of course.

But this is Farscape, I know it's not enough for not going there. I also wondered where Susan was?

Well, there could be another possibility but as it was not mention, I better keep it for myself.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Rav Winston on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:47 pm

AERYNSUN wrote:Well, any of us, in real life, would do whaetever it takes to go home to meet our long lost brother...

Erm...I wouldn't.

Should I confess that?
"What's so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?!"

--Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Rav Winston
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Firecracker on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 am

John was on earth from November 1st till just before Christmas. Susan could have visited him and returned to her own life leaving Bobby behind to get to know his long-lost uncle better.

Just cause we didn't see Susan doesn't mean that in the two months or so that John was on earth that she didn't see him.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:34 am

Considering John was hopping all over the planet on his visit, you'd think he'd visit her at least! Very odd that she wasnt shown tho, no matter what the logic was - I mean esp if her son was there on Christmas. She'd want to be with her son and long lost brother!

Maybe John didnt straighten the universe all the way out and she didnt quite pop all the way back into existance. Just a few vauge memories and a son is all that's left of her.

Very sad. That's what you get for messing with Unrealized Realities as if they were just an alternate timeline or something!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Chocolate on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:07 am

Mreen wrote:
Maybe John didnt straighten the universe all the way out and she didnt quite pop all the way back into existance. Just a few vauge memories and a son is all that's left of her.

Thing is, Jack mentions her when he talks to John about how the world has changed since 9/11, and says something about seeing Bobby and Susan and Olivia dying from nerve gas, so she exists, and is alive. She's just not present.

But it's REALLY weird, isn't it?
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby bwilli18 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:54 pm

...so she exists, and is alive. She's just not present.

But it's REALLY weird, isn't it?

I don't think it's that weird. As her presence on screen wasn't a necessary part of the story, the writers didn't show her. Jack, Olivia, and Bobby had a purpose in the narrative, but there was no need for another sister to be on screen. The writers had a mere 45 minutes to cover John's reunion, re-acclimation, and finally rejection of a life on earth, they had to move the Aeryn-John story forward, and they had to kill a skreeth.
bwilli18
Luxan Warrior

Postby Mreen on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:14 am

A simple shot of Susan yelling "OMG! Bobby get away from that thing!" would have sufficed and moved us along alright...

I think it must have been that quirk in the universe. Boy, if Bobby ever figures out why he never seems to really see his mom anymore, is he ever going to give his uncle a piece of his mind!
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby TINemo on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:32 am

They may have done a scene and it got left on the cutting room floor.I'm told they normally have extra footage and some things have to go in the interests of time. It would have been simpler not to have there be a Susan, but then we don't have nephew Bobby and his mini cam.

Continuity folks may not hve picked up on the *mistake*.

Or, for some family reason, she doesn't want to come home--or she's in the middle of a big work project, can't get away, sent Bobby to Grandmas to keep him out of the way.

Really what does it matter.

I know, she's a covet CIA agent, and is in deep cover. There you go!
Technical information nerd
CEO #68
Mad Hatter #68
Watch out for wormholes, you never know what will come out--Stephen Hawking,Universe in a Nutshell
Do not go where the path leads. Instead go where there is no path and leave a trail- RW Emerson
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Firecracker on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:19 am

TINemo wrote:I know, she's a covet CIA agent, and is in deep cover. There you go!

This one has my vote.

*nods head* Yep. Totally covert CIA.
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby Mreen on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:31 am

Man, then she should have been on her brother like white on rice! Sneaking into his books and trying to uncover a way into his alien tech that he was refusing to explain to his coworkers at IASA .. Susan should have been everywhere with little comments like "Bobby, I told you I dont like being filmed!" "Mom, what are you putting in Uncle John's suitcase?"
"Mom - you're not supposed to use my communicator when Uncle John's in a meeting!"
"Mom - are you sure Uncle John said he wanted you to have that? Because he keeps asking me if I've seen Winona and how only he's supposed to touch that-"
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Next

Return to General Farscape