I'd like your opinion folks...

Talk about anything Farscape! Please direct specific discussions to their respective forums.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

I'd like your opinion folks...

Postby Urpling on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:57 am

On the Starburst Edition of Dog with Two Bones on both commentaries (Claude in the DVD Menu commentary and Ben in the ‘backdoor’ - hidden – one with DK) said that they’d have both put the ‘coin toss scene’ on their demo-reel, but because the scene runs on for too long they can’t really put that scene in.

I can see why they are both proud of it…not only did they pull out all their acting chops, they helped to craft the scene too…along with an increasingly exhausted DK and (editing savvy) director Andrew Prowse…

What I want to ask you guys is this: If you were Ben and Claude which two scenes from Farscape (say two scenes each?) would you chose…in addition to the ‘coin toss scene’…to add to your demo-reel. I guess that you’d want to show how big a range of acting skills you have…so you might want to select a contrasting pair.

From my small window on the world…I would certainly be in no doubt that Ben can pull off a wide array of physical action. I am also convinced by his portrayals of bafflement and angst laced with guilt/anger. Comedy too. No contest.

Outside of Farscape, I have to say that I’m not always totally convinced by his romantic encounters…the exception being his enormous and satisfying work with Claude. To me, that was pure magic. He seemed totally relaxed with her in a way that I’ve not seen in Ben…prior to that production…or since.

I have to confess that a scene with totally wide-eyed, open and abandoned sorrow I’ve yet to see Ben do on any production. But I’ve seen Claude do it on Farscape…and she sells me absolutely.

My personal (and distinctly finicky observation…I admit) is that Ben tends to put up a suppressed edge to grief which leaves me less than convinced. (Yep, even when John encounters the ghoul of his dying mum in the bar…in Won’t get fooled again…and when he cries over Aeryn’s imaginary death in the Wedding Scenes… Ben makes all the right gestures and emotes tears (with or without menthol! :grin:)…ADR included…but it doesn’t really fill his body, face and eyes like Claude seems able to do with such comparable intensity.

You could argue that it’s simply a guy/girl thing…except that I’ve seen tough-guy characters/actors break down so compellingly…they become totally vulnerable. I’ve not seen Ben draw that out of himself…even in scenes that might have called for it.

I bet it’s there though…perhaps he doesn’t want to dive in that far…for fear of reaching a place that will overwhelm him. God knows, it takes enormous guts to go there…even when you’re on your own…let alone as an actor right in front of a crew…that might well be mostly guys...

Perhaps if you’ve grown up in a predominantly male family, as Ben has, involved in comparatively macho sports and careers…you wouldn’t survive for long if unreservedly soft and defenceless.

In truth though, how many actors can offer a range of scenes going from completely broken and vulnerable…to comedy…to exquisitely controlled physical action and dialogue…all in one reel? Not many, I’ll bet. And it’s unfair of me to expect it.

Tell you what though…I reckon that Claudia Black might well have achieved it.
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby Rav Winston on Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Well, what about the eppy wherein John is being completely subsumed by Scorpius' neural chip? The scene in Moya's guts where john is working away, and Aeryn comes to talk to him? Ben goes from sweet, romantic pledges of eternal love, to cynical, viciously manipulative attack.

The alternation between those extremes when Scorpius/Crichton is descending in his module, being chased by Aeryn was well done also.
"What's so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?!"

--Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Rav Winston
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby SunKrux on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:22 pm

Urpling, love your thoughts about Ben's (lack of imho) acting range. ;) Just wanted to warn you that there are some FANatical Ben fans out there who would love nothing more to rip you to shreads for daring to say that Ben doesn't have much range (to which I agree and applaud you for sharing it) as an actor. Thankfully none of them have attacked me on this forum. I was verbally attacked on another forum by a FANatical Ben fan and promptly put them on ignore in that forum.

To the FANatical Ben fans, it is ok for those of us who enjoy watching him to have the opinion that he doesn't really have much range as an actor. It's not slagging him so I don't see the big issue. I have friends who don't think some of my fav actors/actresses don't have range or aren't good, but I'm not about to go ripping into them for sharing their opinion about said actor/actress. It's just an opinion...which is neither right or wrong, it just IS. :D

He's good at "the hero" stuff, but like you, I too see that other than that, the rest of it doesn't go to his eyes, body and it's hard to see. Is it cause he grew up in a mostly male household? Dunno. I do enjoy him more as Crichton than I do as Cam on SG1. IMHO, he's playing Crichtonlessintenseinsane on SG1 and frankly it bores me. I want to see something totally different come out of him. ;)

As for Claudia, she rocks! ;) The main reason I enjoy her so much is that she CAN and DOES emote with just a look. She doesn't have to say much and you totally get what her character is thinking/feeling.

As for what I'd put on the demo real if I were either of them...hmmm...definately the Ben stuff Rav mentioned as that was some of Ben's best stuff. :D

Claudia's - I'd add most of the scenes from DNAMad Scientist. Definately scenes from "The Choice" and "The Way We Weren't" and the scene from "Die Me Dichotomy" when Aeryn is falling to her death.
Ooooo, and the scene from "Nerve" between her and Lani - Crais in the Aurora Chair when the meet up again after he deemed her irreversibly contaminated. WOW! What a powerful scene! It is one of my all time fav FS scenes. Claud and Lani ROCK! :D
I like corny. I'm looking for corny in my life. - Iris - The Holiday
A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine. - Kyra Sedgwick
I'm the only one with my permission to waste my time. - DNash
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby Tiberius on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:23 am

I judge an actors emotional range on how well they make me emote.

Browder as Crichton:

Makes me laugh (best one liners on TV)

Has made me cry (esp Season 3) and im a guy so thats kind of hard to admit.

Has had me cheering when he's happy.

Has me angry at the other characters when he's frelled off with them.

The whole range that is hard to get watching any TV show never mind scifi. The viewer becomes John Crichton thanks to Ben Browders acting and goes through all the emotions he goes through.

At least I do and did lol
Tiberius
Luxan Warrior

Postby Urpling on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:32 am

Rav Winston wrote:Well, what about the eppy wherein John is being completely subsumed by Scorpius' neural chip? The scene in Moya's guts where john is working away, and Aeryn comes to talk to him? Ben goes from sweet, romantic pledges of eternal love, to cynical, viciously manipulative attack.

The alternation between those extremes when Scorpius/Crichton is descending in his module, being chased by Aeryn was well done also.

Yeah...all the neural chip stuff...that kind of angst Ben can certainly do well. I agree with you. Good one to stick in the tape...

By the 'Moya's guts' scene...do you mean the scene when Crichton flips onto Scorp when he's with Aeryn in the neural cluster in Die Me, Dichotomy...which has John declaring his love one second and transmutes into Scorpius the next...ending the scene by bashing Aeryn’s head so hard she's knocked out cold? I think Ben being able to carry off prosthetics with huge dignity and imitating Wayne's vocal phrasing is quite an achievement too.

When Ben is staring into the mirror and says "There's no Scorpius here...mmmmm." to Aeryn...I wasn't able to even look at that John2Scorp transition to start off with...it so creeped me out! But then shear fascination and admiration won me over in the end and I was eventually able to watch it...and admire the whole technical/artistic feat that the scene represented...it was a theatrical master piece...yet here it was on a weekly telly series! Remarkable stuff.

Yeah...the prowler chase scene...oh god yeah...when Ben cries out in emotional agony...trying to save Aeryn...the intensity of love busting through his mental confinement. I feel gutted by what's happening, right along with Crichton. The guilt/angst thing is something that Ben really can pull off...he can pull that sort of emotion out from within himself and I buy it, totally.

Rav...thank you for your comments...I love 'em...all of them. Always.
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby Urpling on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:46 am

SunKrux wrote:Urpling, love your thoughts about Ben's (lack of imho) acting range. ;) Just wanted to warn you that there are some FANatical Ben fans out there who would love nothing more to rip you to shreads for daring to say that Ben doesn't have much range (to which I agree and applaud you for sharing it) as an actor. Thankfully none of them have attacked me on this forum. I was verbally attacked on another forum by a FANatical Ben fan and promptly put them on ignore in that forum.

To the FANatical Ben fans, it is ok for those of us who enjoy watching him to have the opinion that he doesn't really have much range as an actor. It's not slagging him so I don't see the big issue. I have friends who don't think some of my fav actors/actresses don't have range or aren't good, but I'm not about to go ripping into them for sharing their opinion about said actor/actress. It's just an opinion...which is neither right or wrong, it just IS. :D

He's good at "the hero" stuff, but like you, I too see that other than that, the rest of it doesn't go to his eyes, body and it's hard to see. Is it cause he grew up in a mostly male household? Dunno. I do enjoy him more as Crichton than I do as Cam on SG1. IMHO, he's playing Crichtonlessintenseinsane on SG1 and frankly it bores me. I want to see something totally different come out of him. ;)

As for Claudia, she rocks! ;) The main reason I enjoy her so much is that she CAN and DOES emote with just a look. She doesn't have to say much and you totally get what her character is thinking/feeling.

As for what I'd put on the demo real if I were either of them...hmmm...definately the Ben stuff Rav mentioned as that was some of Ben's best stuff. :D

Claudia's - I'd add most of the scenes from DNAMad Scientist. Definately scenes from "The Choice" and "The Way We Weren't" and the scene from "Die Me Dichotomy" when Aeryn is falling to her death.
Ooooo, and the scene from "Nerve" between her and Lani - Crais in the Aurora Chair when the meet up again after he deemed her irreversibly contaminated. WOW! What a powerful scene! It is one of my all time fav FS scenes. Claud and Lani ROCK! :D

Yo! Friend.

Um…I don't recall saying that Ben doesn't have much range as an actor. I was a little more moderate than that...I hope!

My opinion is this...and let's face it...just like you said, SunKrux…it's is just an opinion...Ben does have distinct strengths as far as I can see...but total emotional vulnerability hasn’t been one of them...at least not yet. I think that a guy with lots of machismo...who happens to be a 'private person' too is going to find it somewhat difficult to be absolutely available and totally 'yin' on camera.

I don't believe that's quite the same as saying that Ben doesn't have much range as an actor...

I certainly don't mean to convey that opinion, SunKrux.

That said, I so value all that you shared…I love that you are not sycophantic and are to stand back and evaluate things in a judicious way.

I think that Ben's drop-dead gorgeous looks have helped him to win many a guy/girl's on-screen admiration...telly is a visual medium after all...and I could personally watch Ben do the washing up for hours on end and still have a hard time keeping my tongue, lips and fingers to myself.

But good looks doth not an actor make.

Like you said...it's gotta reach the eyes themselves and move those muscles around the mouth and around the eyes...indication emotion that has been internalised and felt, nor merely adopted.

It's hard to tell the difference between a genuine emotion and an assumed one...

This quiz might kinda prove my point:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/ ... ndex.shtml

...but I can spot the nuances...for the most part, anyway...which is has been kinda helpful in the work that I do.

This is why I love, love, love Paul Goddard (Stark) because, to me at least, Paul feels what he is being in a truly totalised way...he IS the part...and it comes out of every fibre of his being. When I watch him…something magical happens…there is no emotional distance between Paul and myself...I am subsumed into Paul's POV so completely, it’s as if my sense of 'self' is wiped off the map and there is nothing but Paul’s being…Paul being whoever he has been asked to be.

Even so, like you…my head is never very far away from my feet…so when someone can ‘float me’…and ‘undo’ me…that’s quite an achievement! :grin:

Lani and Claud…Claud’s eyes filling with tears and anger as she addresses Lani in the Aurora chair…yep…totally slays me. I get lost in her big eyes and her convincing ‘lostness’ and subsequent anger!

I do believe that Claud identified one particular FS scene that is on her reel (or at least it was at the time)...it’s the one with her emoting deeply…whilst surrounded by off-screen technical wizards and 18 foot of fibre glass and latex…I’m talking about Aeryn working with Pilot of course.

Having said that…I think that Ben has been able to pull off some equally convincing stuff with both Pilot and Rygel too…I just can’t begin to imagine what a challenge that must be…

One thing that I note, with interest, is that both Ben and Claud can really sing too…I have this curse/blessing of perfect pitch and can soon spot someone who can’t quite hit their notes (howver slight) …and they both have lovely voices…so Ben and Claud may one day be able to add ‘musicals’ to their acting range! Wouldn't that be fun! Hah! :grin:
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby Urpling on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:15 pm

Tiberius wrote:I judge an actors emotional range on how well they make me emote.

Browder as Crichton:

The whole range that is hard to get watching any TV show never mind scifi. The viewer becomes John Crichton thanks to Ben Browders acting and goes through all the emotions he goes through.

Yep, I got sucked down a wormhole just as surely and you and Crichton were! And what a ride!

Watching Farscape was like surfing in Hawaii's North Shore and getting dumped and completely trashed by a Big Wave. I had to reassemble myself after each episode...

...couldn't wait to get my ass back out there again...soon as I had recovered! :grin:

Which of course means that Ben and Claud just had to have enthralled me deeply…doesn’t matter how clever the CG/prosthetics/puppetry/scenery/directing/writing/photography was…if Ben and Claud had failed to deliver…none of the rest would have mattered.

There's a level of responsibility...being leads in a show...that I...for one...could never hope to carry...but Claud and Ben did with remarkable grace and commitment.

I guess that I just enjoy looking at what seems to work the best and perhaps dare to look at the stuff that doesn't perhaps work so well. Call me a boring old nit-picker if you like…and guess what…you’d be right! LOL
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby SunKrux on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Urpling wrote:
Yo! Friend.

Um…I don't recall saying that Ben doesn't have much range as an actor. I was a little more moderate than that...I hope!

Hey! :D You didn't...if you'll recall, I put in this (lack of imho) which means that I personally think that he doesn't have much range. I don't disagree that he's good at the "hero" stuff, but that's about it, as far as I have seen. :D

My opinion is this...and let's face it...just like you said, SunKrux…it's is just an opinion...Ben does have distinct strengths as far as I can see...but total emotional vulnerability hasn’t been one of them...at least not yet. I think that a guy with lots of machismo...who happens to be a 'private person' too is going to find it somewhat difficult to be absolutely available and totally 'yin' on camera.

I'll buy the distinct strengths, but as for the private person hendering him...I believe Claudia is even more private than he is...but she still emotes like no one else. ;) Please don't get me wrong, I adore Ben (not in the same way the FANatical Ben fans do - Ben reminds me way too much of my brother. ;) ) He's always been a Southern gentleman at cons and such and that's why I adore him. I would just like to see more range out of him. I'd like to see him break that "hero" mold I see him in and blow me away like many of the other actors/actresses on the show have done. ;) I'm sure one day he will. Til then, I'll just keep enjoying what he's doing now and keep hoping. :D

I don't believe that's quite the same as saying that Ben doesn't have much range as an actor...

I certainly don't mean to convey that opinion, SunKrux.

Tomatoe, Tomato. ;) It's all good. Opinons are neither right or wrong, they just are and I do enjoy hearing and sharing opinons with people who get that. :D

That said, I so value all that you shared…I love that you are not sycophantic and are to stand back and evaluate things in a judicious way.

:? Should I be insulted? ;) :lol: I certainly hope you don't think that I'm being overly judgemental. ;) Sorry, but once ripped open by a FANatical Ben fan...one can still remember the venom with which one was ripped open with. Hence my avoiding such fans. They can't see the forest for that one hunky tree. ;)

I think that Ben's drop-dead gorgeous looks have helped him to win many a guy/girl's on-screen admiration...telly is a visual medium after all...and I could personally watch Ben do the washing up for hours on end and still have a hard time keeping my tongue, lips and fingers to myself.

But good looks doth not an actor make.

Eh, Ben's nice looking, but his mannerisms and attitude are far too similar to my brother so he doesn't do much for me in that way...now Lani, David or WAyne on the other hand. HUBBA, HUBBA, especially Wayne (out of Scorpy make-up that is. In it...skeeves me out! :lol: )

Like you said...it's gotta reach the eyes themselves and move those muscles around the mouth and around the eyes...indication emotion that has been internalised and felt, nor merely adopted.

It's hard to tell the difference between a genuine emotion and an assumed one...

EXACTLY! And sometimes with Ben, it doesn't. To ME that is a lack of range...but I don't really see it as a bad thing for him. He's made good money with what he's good at and I don't fault or blame him for that, I'd just like to see MORE from him. I have faith that he does have it in him...I just haven't seen it yet, ya know? ;)

This is why I love, love, love Paul Goddard (Stark) because, to me at least, Paul feels what he is being in a truly totalised way...he IS the part...and it comes out of every fibre of his being. When I watch him…something magical happens…there is no emotional distance between Paul and myself...I am subsumed into Paul's POV so completely, it’s as if my sense of 'self' is wiped off the map and there is nothing but Paul’s being…Paul being whoever he has been asked to be.

Yeah, Paul rocks! ;D He is good and man, oh man...those lips of his! :D :lol: I remember seeing "The Matrix" in the theatre and sitting there thinking...I know those lips (when Agent Brown was on the screen), I know, I know those lips. Then it hit me STARK! :lol: I nearly embarassed my housemate/friend at the time because I was..."That's STARK from FARSCAPE!! :lol:

Even so, like you…my head is never very far away from my feet…so when someone can ‘float me’…and ‘undo’ me…that’s quite an achievement! :grin:

I hear ya! For me it's not about "floating" or "undoing" it's the "make me sit up and take notice" ability so many fine actors/actresses have. Even if I don't like them persay, if they can make me "sit up and take notice" I gotta give 'em props. ;D

Lani and Claud…Claud’s eyes filling with tears and anger as she addresses Lani in the Aurora chair…yep…totally slays me. I get lost in her big eyes and her convincing ‘lostness’ and subsequent anger!

What a couple of powerhouses, huh? I loved watching them on screen together. You can tell that they were all about the giving and taking with each other. I LOVE watching actors like that. Makes the scene they're doing all the better.

I do believe that Claud identified one particular FS scene that is on her reel (or at least it was at the time)...it’s the one with her emoting deeply…whilst surrounded by off-screen technical wizards and 18 foot of fibre glass and latex…I’m talking about Aeryn working with Pilot of course.

That's what I'm talking about! That's why my two fav characters of FS are Aeryn & Pilot...because of Claudia's total belief that Pilot is real. :D

Having said that…I think that Ben has been able to pull off some equally convincing stuff with both Pilot and Rygel too…I just can’t begin to imagine what a challenge that must be…

I love Ben's stuff with Rygel the best. I think it's cause deep down, Ben's a big joker and Rygel appealed to that part of his nature. :lol:

One thing that I note, with interest, is that both Ben and Claud can really sing too…I have this curse/blessing of perfect pitch and can soon spot someone who can’t quite hit their notes (howver slight) …and they both have lovely voices…so Ben and Claud may one day be able to add ‘musicals’ to their acting range! Wouldn't that be fun! Hah! :grin:

Not having heard Ben sing...I won't address that...but having been at the con a couple of years ago when Claudia graced the fans with her singing talent...damn skippy! That woman can SING! She has a beautiful soulful voice and I would dearly, dearly love to find those two people who years ago told her she sang too loud. They are the reason she hadn't sung in public for YEARS. I'd have a nice little sit down with them and tell them that jealous isn't a good color on anyone. :lol: :twisted: When Claudia sang at that con...I got goose bumps. Rarely do I get goose bumps with most music...and when I do..it's because it reaches into my soul and touches me and I KNOW it's a special gift. :D
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby SunKrux on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:11 pm

Tiberius wrote:I judge an actors emotional range on how well they make me emote.

Browder as Crichton:

I hear ya! But for me...I guess I didn't/don't see it because I identified so strongly with Claudia as Aeryn. Part of it was due to what was happening to me in my own life at the time and in a lot of ways, it mirrored what Aeryn was going through, well the emotional part of rediscovering/redefining oneself, at the time.

And again..I'm the odd fan out because Ben is far too similar to my brother. :lol: I know I'm a freak...and that even my own evil twinny thinks I'm nuts...but hey...I can't help it. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy what Ben can and does do. :D
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby Vye King on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:50 am

I honestly couldn`t pick.

Claudia Black has quickly become my FAVOURITE actress.I get tottaly sucked into movies etc. but even then I can still see the actor through the character, but with Claudia there is no actor underneath. She plays her characters so well that she dissapears. If that makes any sense. When she (Aeryn) is feeling cheeky you have no choice but to grin, when shes sad I feel it. You feel like she is someone you've known for years.

Ben Browder is also fantastic. I agree he isn't as good at putting his whole body into grief, but that works perfectly for the character of Crichton.

For Claudia I'd probably pick Out Of Their Minds, to show versitility, Icarus Abides, to show sorrow, and Meltdown for joy.

For Ben, Revenging Angel, Out Of Their Minds, Season Of Death and Terra Firma.

P.S. I will never be able to belive Ben as someone other then a Crichton. I've seen him in Farscape and Stargate and the only differance is the uniform!
Ozscape 2 9th and 10th June 2007
https://ssllocked.com/~events/index.php ... &Itemid=72
Everybodys crazy, it's just how much.
Proudly a few levels above the norm.
Vye King
Luxan Warrior

Postby Rav Winston on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:15 pm

Getting back to the original query, I realize that I had completely forgotten about that episode wherein, due to a faulty defence screen, our heroes (and heroines) are getting their minds switched every time they take a hit from an enemy battleship.

I thought it was fantastic how well the cast took on one another's characters, from their speech patterns and accents, right down to the small physical mannerisms.

--though Claudia had a bit of trouble with Ben's accent....
"What's so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?!"

--Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Rav Winston
Peacekeeper High Command

Postby SunKrux on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:02 pm

Rav Winston wrote:Getting back to the original query, I realize that I had completely forgotten about that episode wherein, due to a faulty defence screen, our heroes (and heroines) are getting their minds switched every time they take a hit from an enemy battleship.

I thought it was fantastic how well the cast took on one another's characters, from their speech patterns and accents, right down to the small physical mannerisms.

For me, that fact didn't register...because she had his mannerisms DOWN! :lol: Right down to that thing he does with his thumb to his lips.

They all rocked in that eps. :) Definately worthy of a demo reel! :D
SunKrux
The Chosen One
The Chosen One

Postby Urpling on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:34 pm

SunKrux wrote:
Rav Winston wrote:Getting back to the original query, I realize that I had completely forgotten about that episode wherein, due to a faulty defence screen, our heroes (and heroines) are getting their minds switched every time they take a hit from an enemy battleship.

For me, that fact didn't register...because she had his mannerisms DOWN! :lol: Right down to that thing he does with his thumb to his lips.

They all rocked in that eps. :) Definately worthy of a demo reel! :D

Mmmm...I too thought that Claud really outshone the others in the Out of their Minds ep...but her erm...mild Carolina(?)...accent was a bit dodgy I thought...(but I'm just a Limey Pollack and don't know my US accents very well.)

My quandary is...would a take or two from that ep. work in a demo-reel? We can appreciate the acting fully coz we know the back story and the characters. Would a casting director, for example, be able to appreciate the nuances of what would be for him a minute or two of an out-of-context snatch-in-time?

I personally am finding hard to identify which 'snatches' would sell Browder or Black the best, given that the casting team might never have heard of (or even like) Farscape. I would imagine that any scenes selected have to stand, or fall, on their own (encapsulated) merit.

I'm being a real 'meany' here...coz I've asked you guys to do something that I don't feel I could do very well at all. ::oh sooo cheeky: But I like that you seem far clearer about what you'd select than I would be...so just lovin' your input! :)
Urpling
Kalish Resistance

Postby littlejamie on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Well I like both their characters on Stargate.
Still see him as Crichton though he is John Crichton. Nobody else.

As for the reel "Terra Firma", "Revenging Angel".
Ben in the tag with Wayne at the end of COD, along with "My Three Crichtons".

Claudia:" The choice"," Prayer". Also agree with in "Out Of Their Minds".
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Mreen on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:49 am

I promise not to rip you to shreds, anybody, but..I definately dont feel Ben is limited by his talent. The types of characters he's been given lately are definately similar, but he portrays them similar bcs they are same type, that's how they are supposed to be.

I really enjoyed Ben in Farscape and often marvelled at the wonderful job he did with the expressions of agony, greif and (rare) happiness (as opposed the more general easy going demeanor of the norm) - I thought he was great. I also noticed how he made all the other actors around him come alive - I saw him in some shows that the other actors were really painful to watch, and I was wondering how they got the parts, then Ben walks in and everybody perks up and suddenly is acting the character they were mouthing earlier, and my mouth dropped open as I said aloud ' they CAN act!' - it was shocking how much better everyone got once he got into the room. He has a natural ability to work with others in a way that makes everything suddenly start to work - I have been pretty impressed.

Claudia, it goes with out saying, is a gifted star (or talented actor, I'm sure she'd prefer to hear) and does magic. She can also bring out others, and putting the two of them together was indeed the lightning in the bottle that kept Farscape a wonder.

Paul's great too - I havent seen him with any actors so bad so as to judge his influence on others (K Reeves (sp?) doesnt count bcs he didnt do any lines around him - tho I will say he was best in movie 1)But Paul's portrayal of Stark captured me instantly and I couldnt wait to see where they would take that character (tho I really I had to wait anyway)
Paul and Ben were great together in the cell scene, its one of my favorite bits.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Next

Return to General Farscape